Full moon and human behavior

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

robcan2

Full moon and human behavior

Postby robcan2 » Tue 18 Oct, 2005 10:58 am

So last night we had a full moon. Working in human resources, it never ceases to amaze me how we can go weeks without any major "incidences" and then one day I have supervisors and employees coming in and out of my office all day long with issues. My boss is convinced that the full moon is a contributor to this behavior. I have to admit, that sometimes when we get a "spurt" it does coincide with the full moon, but we've also had full moons come and go without any incidences, and sometimes we'll get a "spurt" no where near it.

Do any of you have experience and/or opinions about this?

I can certainly understand that the weather would have an effect on behavior. When it's sunny people might tend to be more cheeful, cloudy days might bring more subdued behavior or even depression, etc. But the moon? I'm not convinced.

Weird thing is, though, I have gone a few weeks without any requests for termination, and today I have 4 that are pending. Hmmm.....
Random musings from a musing randomizer: Rob From Reality

pizzocalabro

Postby pizzocalabro » Tue 18 Oct, 2005 11:14 am

My (confirmed skeptic) friend had an online conversation with a woman who believes in astrology on this very topic. One of his main points is that the moon appears full far longer than it actually, technically is. Since it appears full at least three or four days out of a 29-day lunar cycle, there is a much higher chance of something negative or out of the ordinary happening during that period than you might originally think. In this case, to be very precise, the moon was full yesterday at 12:14 pm, and only stayed full for an instant. I'm skeptical of that having any measurable effect.
If you're talking about a psychological effect, I don't know. It's possible, but I wouldn't draw too many conclusions just from your own experience.

Karenins_SuperSon

Postby Karenins_SuperSon » Tue 18 Oct, 2005 11:18 am

Again, this goes to my belief system, but I think that there are many coincidences in life and nature that I don't think are random.

The fact that the moon and a woman's menstral cycle are both approx. 28 days and the notion that "more women go into labor during a full moon" to me suggest that there might be something to it. The fact that 28 is a multiple of 7 when 7 has a lot of recurrance in Christianity and other religions also lends itself to my belief that there probably isn't a lot of randomness to it all. And we know that the moon controls the tide...another cycle.

But, there is a reason why we say someone is a "lunatic". I honestly think there is a natural link between behavior and cycles (of the moon, menstral, whatever). I've heard the idea (but don't know if it's been documented anywhere) that men go through a "time of the month" as well where they are depressed, irritated, etc.

So, those are my opinions about it.
Her lips were saying "no," but her eyes were saying, "read my lips."---Dr. Niles Crane

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Tue 18 Oct, 2005 11:25 am

Karenin'sSuperSon wrote: I've heard the idea (but don't know if it's been documented anywhere) that men go through a "time of the month" as well where they are depressed, irritated, etc.

Oh yeah. I've documented it. For some men, it lasts for several weeks every month.
pizzocalabro wrote: In this case, to be very precise, the moon was full yesterday at 12:14 pm, and only stayed full for an instant. I'm skeptical of that having any measurable effect.

Well, for most people, sure. But what if you're a Were-Rabbit?
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

pizzocalabro

Postby pizzocalabro » Tue 18 Oct, 2005 11:28 am

KareNin wrote:
pizzocalabro wrote: In this case, to be very precise, the moon was full yesterday at 12:14 pm, and only stayed full for an instant. I'm skeptical of that having any measurable effect.

Well, for most people, sure. But what if you're a Were-Rabbit?

Were-Rabbits are the exception, but then there is documentary evidence for the effect of the moon on them.

Jersey Girl

Postby Jersey Girl » Tue 18 Oct, 2005 11:35 am

My sister has a theory that the mood swings may have something to do with the tides that a full moon brings. Our bodies are mostly made of water and it may contribute to depression and what not in a biorhythmic sort of way.

I had an incident during a full moon in August. For some reason a couple of guys thought I was really attractive (I'm cute but I don't usually have people falling over me). One of these guys happened to be my ex-boyfriend. He couldn't stop hanging around me and making those "you are beautiful" comments. I knew he must not be in his right mind so I at least attribute it to the full moon. The other guy just saw me across the room and wanted to meet me. It was pretty crazy though...full moon or not.

I'm also of the belief that nature does have some affect on people and it's not all coicidence.
"Chicken legs were moved, roads were crossed, motives were questioned."--EFB

Ryan Reeder

Postby Ryan Reeder » Tue 18 Oct, 2005 12:10 pm

I don't know. I just get urges to howl.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Tue 18 Oct, 2005 01:31 pm

The image of Ryan Reeder howling makes me laugh.
You're unique, just like everyone else!

jbobert

Postby jbobert » Tue 18 Oct, 2005 02:03 pm

Its the only time I get the urge to get out my telescope and look at the moon. Thats for sure.

petullant

Postby petullant » Tue 18 Oct, 2005 02:03 pm

I misread "howl" as "bowl". I could totally see Reeder rocking it out at Saturday Night Disco Bowling.
"Sometimes, I don't understand you people." Kiki

"Men seldom make passes at girls who wear glasses." -- Dorothy Parker

Jersey Girl

Postby Jersey Girl » Tue 18 Oct, 2005 02:24 pm

petullant wrote:I misread "howl" as "bowl". I could totally see Reeder rocking it out at Saturday Night Disco Bowling.

Reeder in bell bottoms sounds scarier than him turning werewolf
"Chicken legs were moved, roads were crossed, motives were questioned."--EFB

steelem

Postby steelem » Tue 18 Oct, 2005 02:30 pm

Bowling shoes are pretty scary too.

Karenins_SuperSon

Postby Karenins_SuperSon » Tue 18 Oct, 2005 02:30 pm

jbobert wrote:Its the only time I get the urge to get out my telescope and look at the moon. Thats for sure.

Ooooh...ooohh...

I get to be the first to welcome you to the board!

Welcome, jbobert!
Her lips were saying "no," but her eyes were saying, "read my lips."---Dr. Niles Crane

fireball

Postby fireball » Tue 18 Oct, 2005 04:11 pm

I always thought that the "women going into labor during the full moon" thing was a load of crap, until I went into labor with kid #2. I sat for 45 minutes in a wheelchair having contractions every 3 minutes while we waited for a room to open up at the hospital. The place was bursting at the seems with women in labor and, you guessed it, it was a full moon that night.

pizzocalabro

Postby pizzocalabro » Tue 18 Oct, 2005 06:40 pm

You guys might find the following link interesting:

http://skepdic.com/fullmoon.html

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 18 Oct, 2005 09:18 pm

That was interesting, although I didn't read it all. For the fertility/cycle factor, considering that the full moon happens about every 29 1/2 days, I'll bet if you asked all the women you know, not even one in 10 would have 29 1/2 day cycles. I think it's more a matter of noticing when things do match up, and not noticing when they don't. It's kind of like the perception that more babies are born at night than in the daytime. Chances are, the mom either went into labor or delivered at night, what with labors usually lasting at least 12 hours, and the nighttime hours might be more memorable.

On the other hand, I know that a whole lot of labor and delivery nurses feel that there are more births during the full moon. I don't know if any of mine happened during a full moon or not.

robcan2

Postby robcan2 » Wed 19 Oct, 2005 07:55 am

Here's a moon calendar: http://users.ameritech.net/paulcarlisle ... endar.html

I was born near the first quarter moon, my wife the last quarter, and my son was also born near the last quarter.
Random musings from a musing randomizer: Rob From Reality

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 19 Oct, 2005 09:09 am

That moon calendar is the coolest thing ever!!! A few years ago, after hurting my back, I reclined on the couch and figured out when Easter would be for the next 40 years. As you may or may not know, Easter is the first Sunday after the first full moon after the vernal equinox (March 21). So the first thing I had to do was figure out the full moons, every 29 1/2 days, and remember to count leap years. Even being one day off could change Easter from April to March, as well as throwing off all future years. This is the kind of fun stuff I like to make my brain do, but I like it even better with this calendar. Now I have to check my records to make sure I was right.

Oh, and I did go into labor on a full moon with Jeff, but nobody else was even close. And poor Laura was born in the dark of the moon.

GenAdFemale

Postby GenAdFemale » Wed 19 Oct, 2005 10:35 am

For me, going into labor was triggered by low pressure systems.

jbobert

Postby jbobert » Wed 19 Oct, 2005 11:00 am

Thanks for the welcome, superson. I was trying to be inconspicuous by slipping in a simple comment, but I guess the "posts" count kind of gives it away.

I have lurked here for 3 years or so. Not sure why, but finally decided to join in. I suppose it was the thread on why people join the board that made me recognize why it's worth it and take the plunge.

Return to “Main Forum”