Starting a new share some good news

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

SDR

Re: Starting a new share some good news

Postby SDR » Thu 11 Dec, 2014 11:38 am

I'm reading! And yay for less pain (probably most likely)!

KMD

Postby KMD » Thu 11 Dec, 2014 08:07 pm

Me too Momma, just haven't had much time for posting. Hooray for less pain!
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 30 Jan, 2015 12:29 pm

I had a nerve test on my legs to see if there's any damage that's causing my various owies. Saw the spine doctor yesterday to get the results. He said there is damage at L5 on both sides, but that it's from an old injury. I also have nerve damage at the back of both knees, on the knob that marks the top of the fibula. I knew those hurt, and my shin muscles hurt, too, but hadn't thought about it much. And I also have peripheral neuropathy, which is the most annoying of all my pains. He said that one is the only one that's progressive, and it progresses slowly enough that most people die before it gets too bad. Oh, good. I do know that I'm only taking about a third of the maximum dose of the medication for this problem, so it can be increased if necessary, but high doses almost always cause weight gain, 35 pounds or so, which would be even worse for my poor feet and knees and back and stuff.

Weird thing, though, the doctor suggested doing the test injection, and explained it as if he didn't know I'd already had two of them. But he didn't sound very hopeful that it would do any good, especially because I have so many different hurty places, so he told me he's there if I need him, but otherwise we're through.

The good news about that is that I already had an appointment for the next injection, and I didn't think I wanted to go, but didn't know for sure what I should do. I prayed that morning that the decision would be made clear to me, and it definitely was.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 11 Jun, 2015 04:03 pm

Here's some good news, for me, anyway! I'm down to my last hour of work until July 30, and then I work one day and have a three-day weekend, because the school is on a four 10-hour days through the summer. Well, until August. And I don't really have to work those 10 hours, either. In fact, I can promise I won't. We're kind of on a system here where they know we'll get our work done, and if it takes MORE hours than we're paid for, we'll do it. But don't tell the union that part.

Anyway, seven weeks off work is just about right. And I'm leaving tomorrow morning to ride to Utah with my sister, which will be tons of fun, and we'll stop for a few minutes to see three of my grandkids, and then go on to see three more, where I'll be staying, and my sister will see them, and then she'll go on to stay with four of hers and to speak at EFY in Logan next week, and she'll be happy even though hers aren't as cute as mine even if she does have twice as many, and she loves hers anyway.

And I'll be helping to get ready for the bake sale at Jeff's on the 24th, to raise money for backpacks for foster kids.

SDR

Postby SDR » Thu 11 Jun, 2015 05:42 pm

Cool, bake sale time!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 22 Jul, 2015 03:45 pm

An Internet friend of Joy's sent her a box of candy yesterday from Scotland, where he is currently living. One was a hollow chocolate egg with a toy inside, a tiny BMW complete with license plate. I thought the chocolate was heavenly, too. It was white on the inside and milk chocolate on the outside, but very thin. My very favorite, though, was called Scottish Tablet. It was basically non-chocolate fudge. Perfect texture, wonderful taste. Now I want to go to Scotland more than ever!

I wonder, though, if I were to send a box of American candy to someone, how would I know what they don't have? Not a single one of the 15 or so varieties in this package was familiar. I'd think M&Ms, Junior Mints, Hershey bars, Kisses, Butterfingers, and maybe Snickers would represent my personal American candy, but I don't know if they have all of those elsewhere or not. I don't get out much.

KMD

Postby KMD » Wed 22 Jul, 2015 07:31 pm

I have had those eggs Momma! They are called Kinder eggs or something. My bff used to bring them back from Germany when she would visit. They're in Canada too. They don't sell them in the US because the toys inside are so small, choking hazard. I got a cool little dump truck, puzzles, just the cutest little toys, I love those!

I've heard overseas they think our chocolate is awful, because we use corn syrup in place of milk or cream to lengthen the shelf life. And, I have to say I agree with those across the pond. I can't stand a regular old Hershey's bar. I want good quality dark chocolate, or nothing. Lately, it's nothing. If I must pick from the grocery store, a Reese cup. at least the peanut butter makes it taste better.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 22 Jul, 2015 07:35 pm

Yes! Kinder Egg! Delicious! And I do agree that Cadbury chocolate is different (and better) when it's not American-made. Not that I'm all that discriminating, though. I do occasionally find that Hershey chocolate tastes like soap somehow. And I do love me a Reese's peanut butter cup! Not the miniature ones, the ratio is wrong.

KMD

Postby KMD » Wed 22 Jul, 2015 08:10 pm

I agree with you on the mini Reese cups, the ratio is all wrong. And as much as I love dark chocolate, when they do those special "limited time" dark chocolate Reese cups, I don't like those as well as regulars! Again, wrong ratio, the chocolate overpowers the peanut butter.

I haven't had a Reese cup in 2 months. And there was a big 6 pack of them on the kitchen island for most of that time. My willpower has definitely increased.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 23 Jul, 2015 03:42 pm

There was another candy bar in this batch called, I think, "Cruncher," and it's kind of like Butterfinger, only it doesn't stick in your teeth. It's Cadbury, and it's delicious, and I know Joy will love it if only I don't eat it all before she gets to taste it. The candy was, after all, sent to her, not me.

SDR

Postby SDR » Thu 23 Jul, 2015 05:03 pm

It may have been sent to her, but you are legally well within your rights to assess a rental fee for the storage space this package is taking. It's the law.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 23 Jul, 2015 10:00 pm

I like the way you think. If only she hadn't taken a picture of the whole assortment, she'd never know.

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Sun 26 Jul, 2015 04:13 am

Cheap "chocolate" uses vegetable fat in the place of cocoa butter. Cocoa butter is used in real chocolate. The difference is in the melting temperature of the fat - the vegetable fat melts at a higher-than-human-body temperature, so it's still hard and waxy in the mouth. Cocoa butter melts at body temperature, so it feels silky and smooth. "Chocolate" also burns at lower temperatures than chocolate. Then there are the sugars, which is a whole other topic, but the fat used makes more of a difference.

I'm a snob. I don't like "chocolate". I love chocolate.
There's no better form of government than a dictatorship when you're the dictator.
-Fahim Farook

Walking the World
Me on Instagram
Me on Twitter
Me on Google+
Me on Facebook

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Sun 26 Jul, 2015 10:52 am

I've often said that I wish I could be more of a food snob, especially chocolate. But I do notice a difference, and that's a start. There are imitation chocolates, or "chocolate flavored" candies, that are really cheap, and I get a lot of those for gift-giving occasions at school, like Administrative Assistant Day. Nasty, most of them, and I often am able to throw them away without eating more than a bite. But I like our regular chocolate well enough, since I don't have access to REALLY good chocolate very often.

One of the other things in Joy's selection was Turkish Delight. I do not like Turkish Delight, but it's not the fault of the chocolate.

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Sun 26 Jul, 2015 11:28 pm

I like Turkish Delight, just not with chocolate.
There's no better form of government than a dictatorship when you're the dictator.
-Fahim Farook

Walking the World
Me on Instagram
Me on Twitter
Me on Google+
Me on Facebook

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 28 Sep, 2015 11:22 am

Doesn't Turkish Delight taste kind of like roses? To me it does, and I can't adapt. My nose loves roses, but my mouth doesn't get the point.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 29 Sep, 2015 10:31 am

It's our anniversary! 42 years! Most people haven't even been alive that long, at least no one else in our immediate family. :) We have been very blessed that even in hard times, we have clung to each other instead of fighting or isolating ourselves. We met when he was 19 and I was 20 (we're six weeks apart) and were married six months later, so we were really kind of kids, but it worked!

I always say I've been very lucky, but so has he!

SDR

Postby SDR » Tue 29 Sep, 2015 11:09 am

Happy Anniversary! And I have been alive that long! Even longer! Not a lot longer, mind you...

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Wed 30 Sep, 2015 10:21 pm

Turkish delight can have any of several flavours, one of which is rose. I can see how rose can be an acquired taste - I guess I've acquired it. Faluda is also rose flavoured, and I LOVE me some faluda. Rose syrup is easy to find all over the place here... I've also had Turkish delight in other flavours, like mint, lime, lemon, orange, and I don't remember what all else.

Happy anniversary! Also, I'm older than your marriage. Just so you know. :)
-Fahim Farook

Walking the World
Me on Instagram
Me on Twitter
Me on Google+
Me on Facebook

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 01 Oct, 2015 08:39 am

I could enjoy Turkish Delight if it was orange or lemon flavored, I think. I like the consistency just fine. It's just that rose thing that always surprises me.

Return to “Main Forum”