Starting a new share some good news

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

Momma Snider

Re: Starting a new share some good news

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 23 Apr, 2014 09:05 am

We do have a big family portrait from when she was about 2, and I suggested she take a picture of herself from that. I don't know how it turned out, and by the age of 2, she was pretty recognizable as her 31-year-old self. She did say she's okay with having been born in such a dysfunctional family, though. :)

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Wed 23 Apr, 2014 07:53 pm

I vote frankenbaby. :P
There's no better form of government than a dictatorship when you're the dictator.
-Fahim Farook

Walking the World
Me on Instagram
Me on Twitter
Me on Google+
Me on Facebook

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 29 Apr, 2014 12:12 pm

Administrative Assistant Day was last week, and we like it when our administrator puts a basket in the lounge for each of us, and the staff brings in little things to fill it up. Well, for the past few years I have primed the pump, so to speak, because the staff has been pretty pitiful, and I didn't want my coworkers to feel bad. Two years ago I put in at least half of what was in there. I decided not to do that this year, for a few reasons, but we didn't get the baskets until today, and it looks like some people came through over the weekend. I got plenty of Starbucks cards and coffee mugs and teabags, anyway, for which "it's the thought that counts" apply, and some socks and earrings and chocolate and gardening gloves, too.

It's nice to be outwardly appreciated.

KMD

Postby KMD » Tue 29 Apr, 2014 06:02 pm

Starbucks cards are also awesome for hot chocolate, and for regifting. :D
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 29 Apr, 2014 06:20 pm

Yeah, if I ever drank anything when I'm out, I could go to Starbucks in my grocery store. I just never drink anything but water, and I tend to guzzle that several times a day rather than sip it frequently. I could also eat their coffee cake if I ever needed any extra calories. Ha ha. But the gift cards always go to my friend and coworker, Teresa, and she gives me her bath stuff, because she only takes showers anyway.

And I don't know who's going to eat the coconut almond cookies.

SDR

Postby SDR » Tue 29 Apr, 2014 08:42 pm

An idea for the coconut almond cookies:

Mail them to 13756 S Ari Cir Herriman UT 84096.

HA! Just kidding. Really. I have too much access to such items as it is. I haven't felt good about eating sugary things since the last bake sale fundraiser. :)

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 08 May, 2014 01:39 pm

This is not good news by any stretch of the imagination, but I opened those cookies last night, and they were really, really, really good.

SDR

Postby SDR » Thu 08 May, 2014 02:46 pm

I really had to fight a temptation today (I'm telecommuting when not searching the neighborhood for a dog that likes to explore; fortunately I guess that means he's feeling a lot better). After I found him sniffing around someone's driveway, I starting driving to Arby's, then thought "I'm not really hungry, I just want to eat" and managed to just drive the one block home vs the 5 to 10 mile round trip Arby's would have been. Maybe that belonged in the other thread. Ah well. Here it is anyway. :)

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 08 May, 2014 02:56 pm

I'm proud of you. I remember one time I passed by a See's in the mall and started to go in, but then I thought, "I know what it tastes like, and if I buy some, I'll have eaten it and five minutes from now all I'll be doing is remembering how it tastes, so I might as well skip the actual buying and eating." It worked that time.

SDR

Postby SDR » Thu 08 May, 2014 03:02 pm

Don't be too proud. Yesterday I didn't stop myself from going to "Bombdiggeties" (or something like that). I am 99% sure it's just a local privately owned fast food joint that fills a niche with buffalo & beefalo burgers and frozen custard. My that cake batter flavored custard with pecans was tasty. So was the burger and fries, for that matter. I'd only been there once before but didn't remember it being nearly so tasty. A little more expensive than other places, but not by much, especially for an establishment that prides itself on only privately run ranches for red meat production, no hormones and only grass fed animals. It almost makes the food sound healthy. Selling "frozen custard" instead of "ice cream" also gives it a certain better quality sound to the whole thing.

In fact, it probably really *is* healthy, and locally owned and operated, so I should really start spending more of my money there. It's the responsible thing to do.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 12 May, 2014 03:17 pm

Best news I've thought of all day: only 17 more days of school!!! It will be even better tomorrow when it's down to 16.

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Mon 12 May, 2014 06:51 pm

Happy last days of school, Momma. :)

My parents in law brought some Ayurvedic medicine when they came to visit. One is a paste that smells sort of like fermented garlic. It's also a burgundy colour, so there are other things in it. It's mixed with honey then applied to the area over the sprained joint to promote healing. I've used this paste in the past, applied to whichever of my joints were dislocating too easily. And it helped. We applied it probably twice a week for half a year to half my body, but it worked. And my joints behaved better than they had in a very very long time. I still had pain, but nowhere near as much and I had only a fraction of the dislocations/subluxations that I used to have. That was six or seven years ago. So, I'm applying the paste to my shoulders and they're healing faster. The dislocations in my left shoulder have stopped entirely and my right shoulder is now down to only a few a day. And the stiffness and pain and whatnot are improving. :)

The only problem is I only have enough paste for five more applications. They didn't bring enough. Ooops.
There's no better form of government than a dictatorship when you're the dictator.
-Fahim Farook

Walking the World
Me on Instagram
Me on Twitter
Me on Google+
Me on Facebook

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 13 May, 2014 08:19 am

I can't even imagine the pain of a dislocated shoulder! I'm glad you found something that works, but how are you going to get more?

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Tue 13 May, 2014 08:39 pm

My shoulders have, at their worst, dislocated 50-100 times a day. When it's that bad, I wear a sling because it's really the only way to actually *get* the arm to go back in - the weight of the arm is what makes it dislocate. When it's doing well, lifting anything over, say, 10 pounds can cause it to dislocate if I don't lift things properly. I have to pay attention and make sure I use my muscles in a fairly specific way if I want to avoid dislocation. But this is what most of my joints are like. Walk a certain way, paying attention, to avoid dislocating knees, hips, ankles, toes...

The paste... We're likely going back to Sri Lanka for a visit in June or July. Ramadan, then Eid. I'll get more paste then. Fahim's parents have offered to get some and ship it to us, but the Ayurvedic doc is an hour's drive away from where they are, so we don't want them to go out of their way. But when we do get more, we'll be getting at least a dozen packs.

And yeah, it's helping. My tail bone hurts much less since Fahim's been applying the paste to my spine as well. This paste is basically a miracle for me. :)
-Fahim Farook

Walking the World
Me on Instagram
Me on Twitter
Me on Google+
Me on Facebook

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 15 May, 2014 10:03 am

I don't know if I already said this somewhere, but I've got a new doctor, and I love him! It doesn't hurt that he looks kind of like a young Leonardo DiCaprio, but that's not the main reason I like him. He's warm and friendly, and he sat there beside me yesterday and showed me, line by line, my lab results, focusing on the things that were out of range and explaining what can improve them. I told him I'd been on kind of a chocolate binge, which surely affected my blood sugar, and he said that could have also affected my cholesterol, which was 219. But I'm completely off blood pressure and cholesterol meds, so that's good.

And the best part, compared to my former doctor, is that my appointment was at 4:15, and I was in the exam room by 4:23. It was commonly a 90-minute wait at the other doctor, because she's the only rheumatologist in the area. At my first visit with this new guy, I told him about my disease (Wegener's) and asked if he could manage it, and he was confident that he can, so I don't need a rheumatologist. I didn't like the waiting time with her, but the worst part of that was feeling so sorry for the people there who were so much worse off than I was, and I'd feel bad about taking up her time, so I wouldn't tell her all the stuff on my list.

Anyway, I love this guy! And I'm happy to be healthy, more or less!

SDR

Postby SDR » Thu 15 May, 2014 12:02 pm

YAY for good doctors. I could do without the LDC resemblance, but he's not my doctor so it doesn't matter!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 15 May, 2014 12:46 pm

Yeah, I can't say Leo is my favorite, but this guy is cute. He's only probably in his early 30s (these kids today and their grown-up jobs!) and he's actually cuter than Leonardo.

He's in the same practice as my old-old doctor, the one who delivered my last three kids and who has been our family doctor for 36 years and who retired last year. When I started going to him, his office was in downtown Temecula. which is about a 20-minute drive. It was okay at the time because there weren't any doctors much closer, and the nearest hospital that delivered babies was in Fallbrook anyway, 35 minutes away. (He worked at both offices.) Then he quit going to Temecula, so I started going to Fallbrook if I went to the doctor at all, but sometimes the traffic coming home is horrendous, so it turned into more of a 50-minute drive. And I got my disease and had to see the nephrologist until I graduated from him and he sent me to the rheumatologist. In the meantime, my old doctor's practice opened up three other offices, one of them only in Murrieta, which is only 10-15 minutes. And he's young enough that he won't retire until I'm dead.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 16 May, 2014 10:36 am

I started back at the beginning of this thread, reading all the comments. Besides that I miss when this was a busy place, it was fun to see what was going on back then. I found out that in 2007 I had not heard of Dubai. I've heard of it since then, of course. I also think I had not heard of the UAE at that time, but just the other night, before I re-read the thread, I dreamed that I was in the hospital awaiting surgery, and some bad guys from the UAE kidnapped me by posing as nurses. I escaped, but never did find out why they kidnapped me, or even what surgery I was going to have.

lisapants

Postby lisapants » Tue 20 May, 2014 02:07 pm

Auntie KareNin and husband are staying at our house tonight! Our house happens to be in the path of their Great Road Trip of 2014, and we are excited to visit with them!
<------- Ondipants, Babyloo, and Little Buddy

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 21 May, 2014 09:06 am

That is awesome! I didn't know they were on a road trip, what with KareNin not posting here or emailing, and for some reason I rarely see her posts on Facebook unless I specifically look for them. I'm sorry that I never sent her the CDs I intended to copy for her. I got bogged down because my iMac doesn't have a CD drive, but I still have my old computer, but then I went to buy blank CDs and bought DVDs instead, so then I had to get real blank CDs, and just last night started copying. Anyway, the CDs would have been great road trip music, but there it is.

Tell her hi for me!

Return to “Main Forum”