Recommendations

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

Momma Snider

Re: Recommendations

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 19 Jan, 2012 05:35 pm

But that's the thing, they encourage you to just jump in where you are and do what you can.

I don't know how I would have done with it when I had little kids, though. It sounds like an ideal plan, but it might just be too good to be true.

lisapants

Postby lisapants » Thu 19 Jan, 2012 06:01 pm

A friend of mine told me about Flylady last April (it happened to be Easter) and I've been trying it since then. It can be overwhelming to learn the system, but once you have all the zones figured out, it's not so bad. I haven't been keeping up with the daily zone cleaning for a while, but I hope to get back into it. It has helped me do my weekly cleaning, or "House Blessing" as she calls it. I like the principle of doing just 15 minutes a day to keep your house looking clean and clutter-free. I need to focus more on the everyday maintenance and not on my previous system of mad-dash cleaning whenever I know people were coming over.

The emails are overabundant, but I just automatically delete everything except for the weekly and daily flight plans. You can find those the website, I think, and if you "Like" Flylady on Facebook, I think she posts the flight plans there, too.
<------- Ondipants, Babyloo, and Little Buddy

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 24 Jan, 2012 10:42 am

I'm reading The Forest of Hands and Teeth. I'm really enjoying it, at least I'm enjoying the reading of it.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 08 Mar, 2012 04:59 pm

And now I'm reading a new series by Jessica Bradshaw. Well, it will be a trilogy; only the first book is available on Amazon so far, with #2 to be published in July. The first one is called Hazy Shade of Winter. It's about a guardian angel, kind of, who is also looking for his Soulmate, and the girl he is currently assigned to watch over.

The girl in the book is a big fan of The Beatles and Simon and Garfunkel, so I like her already!

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Thu 08 Mar, 2012 09:13 pm

Is this a paper-and-ink book, or a Kindle? I like her already too, for the same reasons.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 09 Mar, 2012 01:52 pm

I bought the paperback, but I think it was available on Kindle, too. What drew my attention to it is that she is in my ward, and she put on her Facebook page that she was looking for "betas" to pre-read #2. I don't know what "beta" means in this case, but I volunteered, and then thought I should read the first one first. She just sent me the second one this morning.

Funny, I ordered the one from amazon, and it won't arrive until tomorrow, but I already finished it on the pdf she sent me.

I wish I could write a book! I wrote that one short story a few years ago, but I just can't figure out how to drag anything out longer than that.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Fri 09 Mar, 2012 02:22 pm

Regarding the phrase "beta readers," I think it's another case where someone used a word that was approximately what they meant in a situation, and the Hip and Happenin' People who, apparently without the consent of the general public, have deemed themselves The Bringers of The New Business Buzzwords [see: interface, upsell, paradigm shift, parameters, pre-board, good fit, and sexual harassment] seized upon BETA TESTER as an all-purpose go-to [there's another one!] phrase that can and should be tossed around indiscriminately wherever possible.

To the point where people like I wish to puke. Hee hee.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 10 May, 2012 09:27 am

Just to bump this thread, I will report that I bought a hard-cover of "A Dog's Purpose." I had only read it in a Condensed Book, and I loved it, but then I loaned it out and never got it back. Then my sister, who had read the real thing on my recommendation, started reading the condensed version, and she said it made her sad at some of the things that were left out. I don't know when I'll read it, because Rocky keeps giving me books he knows I'll like, but they're 500-pagers. I do like them, but since I only read about 15 minutes a day, unless I remember to bring the book downstairs in the morning, it takes a long time to get through them.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Thu 10 May, 2012 03:39 pm

I heart "A Dog's Purpose" so much. I listened to it on CDs first, and squalled and laughed and loved the heck out of it. Then I got the hardback from the library and read it, and again loved it.

I've been recommending it to everyone I know who likes dogs--especially if they have an older dog.

The sequel, "A Dog's Journey," is in transit to me and should arrive maybe Friday. I will then put my Bruce Cameron-signed bookplate in it, read it, and probably love it too.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 10 May, 2012 03:48 pm

Let me know what that's like after you read it! I think I heard that it's a continuation of the same dog. With poor little Andy getting older and older, it's all bittersweet to me, but I fully believe that dogs go to heaven, too, and that we'll get to reunite with them. Just like with human families, I don't see a point in the love that we have for our animals if it will just end at death.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 29 Aug, 2012 02:35 pm

KareNin, did you cry and cry and cry during and after "A Dog's Journey"? Because I did, for days. But it was so happy and satisfying and wonderful!

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Sat 01 Sep, 2012 12:46 pm

Yes I did, Momma!

Return to “Main Forum”