Recommendations

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

Lowdoggy Dogg

Recommendations

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Thu 12 Apr, 2007 09:17 am

I thought this might be a good thread to start. Sometimes there are books or movies or things to recommend that might not merit their own thread. So if you have something, this may be the place, in the vein of the Funny Video or Share Good News threads.

My recommendation is for Planet Earth, the Discovery Channel program. I'm not sure if its only available on the HD channel, but it is incredible. Well worth watching.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Thu 12 Apr, 2007 09:24 am

I like the idea of this thread, L-Dog. I've been meaning to recommend The Goose Girl, by Shannon Hale, to everyone I meet and this is a great way to start! It's a well-crafted novel based on the fairy tale of the same name. If I may be so bold, I think those who enjoyed Twilight would enjoy The Goose Girl, though they are from different ends of the speculative fiction genre.
You're unique, just like everyone else!

Penelope

Postby Penelope » Thu 12 Apr, 2007 09:45 am

My husband and I are watching the Planet Earth series. It is absolutely amazing!

I enjoyed The Goose Girl, too.
I went to high school with the author. We goofed off together in AP history, though she actually passed the AP test and I did not. (crazy overachiever with her test-passing and her book-publishing)
I didn't much care for her next book, Enna Burning, but I loved her third, Princess Academy.

Speaking of YA fiction, I just read The Giver by Lois Lowry. I highly recommend it.
"When I grow up I want to have nose hairs just like you and Daddy!" Laura, age 3

karinka

Postby karinka » Thu 12 Apr, 2007 09:45 am

This is only for people who handle R-rated language, for there are many (comedic) f-bombings that occur throughout this thing. Last weekend, I was visiting my friend Spamberly, and she insisted that we watch <i>Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone</i>. However, instead of listening to the soundtrack, we muted it and listened instead to something called <i>Wizard People, Dear Reader</i>, "an unauthorized re-envisioning of <i>Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone</i>, by Brad Neely". It consists of "an alternate soundtrack of narration in the style of a book on tape, which viewers can play over the muted movie". Brad Neely is a comic book artist, and apparently, his comics are dark, so is this recording. It is pants-wettingly (very nearly a personal experience), gas-passingly (personal experience), headache-inducingly (personal experience) (and other such adverbs) funny. It is the funniest thing I have ever watched/listened to, and that takes into consideration the Borat hotel/conference scene, Abigail Breslin's talent performance in Little Miss Sunshine, and the crotch banging ending of the first male-male paired performance in Blades of Glory, all of which left me breathless and teary. I wish this guy would do a similar thing for all of the movies.

Wikipedia entry about <i>Wizard People, Dear Reader</i> which contains one f-bomb.

Also, I recommend checking out the horrible music of Harry and the Potters.
"The question is 'Is she hot' not 'Would you do her'. Respect the game."

Lowdoggy Dogg

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Fri 13 Apr, 2007 02:08 pm

I am frustrated with ESPN. I think there are large parts of their schedule that are completely unwatchable. They have some great commentators, and I love Pardon the Interruption but other than that it pretty much sucks these days.

If you feel at least a little like me, you'll like this article by ESPN's ombudswoman. Her job is to serve as a the public's representative.

Read it here.

Penelope

Postby Penelope » Fri 13 Apr, 2007 04:14 pm

Lowdoggy Dogg wrote:I am frustrated with ESPN. I think there are large parts of their schedule that are completely unwatchable.

And I think all parts of their schedule are unwatchable. Sports shmorts.

(The bitter last-kid-picked-for-teams-in-elementary-school, glasses-wearing, can't-hit-a-baseball-with-the-broad-side-of-a-barn-door child in me will never heal.)

On another note, I have a comedian to recommend. We TiVo all the Comedy Central Presents half hour stand-up comedy specials. Not every one is a gem, but once in a while we'll find a gut-buster. Last week we watched a 2004 special featuring a comedian named Demetri Martin. He's hilarious. We watched it again last night and it was just as funny. They advertised his new CD/DVD, but I can't remember what it's called. I'll have to look it up...
"When I grow up I want to have nose hairs just like you and Daddy!" Laura, age 3

karinka

Postby karinka » Fri 13 Apr, 2007 04:22 pm

Demetri Martin is hilarious. He does a segment on The Daily Show called Trendspotting that I love. I also think he's very cute. So I second that recommendation.

Benny

Postby Benny » Fri 13 Apr, 2007 11:52 pm

his album is awesome. He's got a second comedy central special, too
When you have fat friends there are no see-saws, only catapults.

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Sat 14 Apr, 2007 07:33 am

Very Funny

OK, I don't like the orange.
WiseNLucky

Horizontally gifted since . . . .

Grudunza

Postby Grudunza » Sat 14 Apr, 2007 08:20 am

For those of you with AMC, I recommend checking out the BBC show Hustle. It's about a group of "ethical con artists", and it's very stylish, witty and clever, showing the ins and outs of various different long cons. The fourth season starts on Wednesday night. The main guy of the group (played terrifically by Adrian Lester) has apparently moved on and is being replaced, so I'm not sure how the change will affect the series, but if you like it in general then you might want to grab the DVDs of the earlier seasons. My only gripe is that a BBC "season" is only six episodes. I would have liked to see a lot more of this show.

Generally speaking, the show has been very clean, but there have been one or two incidents of very brief nudity or language. I'm not sure I really need to add that, but just in case this first new episode happens to have something like that, I don't want the impression to be that that is usually the case.
www.EricHermanMusic.com
- Cool tunes for kids! -

adspackman

Postby adspackman » Sat 14 Apr, 2007 01:52 pm

Grudunza wrote:My only gripe is that a BBC "season" is only six episodes.

[OT]
Perhaps that's why we call them series rather than seasons. A season suggests something that lasts over a few months (like most American shows?) and not the general 6-8 episodes we do.

Whatever the reason, they need to be longer. You just get used to something being on at a particular time and then it goes again. Not that it makes much difference to me now, since I'll probably end up recording around half of any given series.
[/OT]

I will second the recommendation for Hustle and add one for New Tricks if you get that too.

karinka

Postby karinka » Sat 14 Apr, 2007 02:30 pm

adspackman wrote:Whatever the reason, they need to be longer. You just get used to something being on at a particular time and then it goes again.

A very cruel trick, indeed. I guess I never really knew this as I've never paid attention to many British shows, but it explains why AbFab came and went so quickly whenever there was a new "season". I was always so disappointed when it would end so abruptly. This reminds me: there was some show just recently on Comedy Central that I wanted to watch, but it had its season finale before I ever got to watch it. I can't for the life of me think of what show it was, though.

adspackman

Postby adspackman » Sat 14 Apr, 2007 03:28 pm

That's another thing we don't have - season finales. You're lucky if the voice-over at the beginning or the end tells you it's the last in the series otherwise you have no way of knowing. I suppose that there isn't really enough time in 4 to 8 hours to build up to something like that.

Anyway, back to topic...

InOregon

Postby InOregon » Sun 15 Apr, 2007 08:32 pm

karinka, I watched the new HP and the Bear with my family this weekend and we LOVED it. The f bombs were abundant, as promised, but worth it (if your family isn't against that kind of thing). We're already quoting it in our house (sans f bombs. we do have SOME couth.)
"reading is polushun. someday it will kill me."

My Bonnie lies over at Flickr.

karinka

Postby karinka » Mon 16 Apr, 2007 12:09 am

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I chuckle whenever I think about some of the lines.

stephsterr

Postby stephsterr » Wed 18 Apr, 2007 10:11 am

Go to Google Maps and get the directions from New York to Paris France. Kind of funny!

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Wed 18 Apr, 2007 10:27 am

Very nice. Very Google.
You're unique, just like everyone else!

Lowdoggy Dogg

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Tue 24 Apr, 2007 08:22 am

So this guy spends an hour trying to reel in this 100lb tarpon and all of the sudden a hammerhead appears to steal it.

Crazy Video

There are some instances of the s-word as in OH S---! I don't blame them.

Turing Complete

Postby Turing Complete » Tue 24 Apr, 2007 08:50 am

Here's a fun time-waster for the geeky: Warehouse 23 Basement

"Somewhere, beneath the cover of an innocuous-looking retail operation, those with true Power have built a facility to imprison forces man was not meant to know . . . things we were never meant to comprehend. The Ark of the Covenant. The Crystal Skull. Alien spacecraft . . . and aliens. Documentation of conspiracies and cover-ups. And more."

Just click on "open a random box" and see what you find.

Jersey Girl

Postby Jersey Girl » Tue 24 Apr, 2007 08:53 pm

[quote="stephsterr"]Go to Google Maps and get the directions from New York to Paris France. Kind of funny![/quote]

I wish they wouldn't use so many toll roads :).
"Chicken legs were moved, roads were crossed, motives were questioned."--EFB

Return to “Main Forum”