Recommendations

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

Lowdoggy Dogg

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Wed 18 Aug, 2010 11:36 am

KareNin wrote:I just got done reading a book in which not only individual evilness is discussed, but ENTIRE CIVILIZATIONS SLAUGHTER EACH OTHER!!

Sometimes, according to the descriptive prose, the wanton carnage is so great that there is the stench of rotting flesh for miles around. And yet, for reasons known only to the author, the deep hatred and evilness continues and escalates, except for brief periods of time when it briefly abates.

Any of you ever read anything this horrific, but ultimately hopeful, in your life?

And yet, I could hardly put this book down; it really inspired me and changed my life.

People being burned alive, arms being chopped off, but an excellent message. I like the war parts.

lilcis

Postby lilcis » Wed 18 Aug, 2010 01:49 pm

KareNin wrote:I just got done reading a book in which not only individual evilness is discussed, but ENTIRE CIVILIZATIONS SLAUGHTER EACH OTHER!!

Sometimes, according to the descriptive prose, the wanton carnage is so great that there is the stench of rotting flesh for miles around. And yet, for reasons known only to the author, the deep hatred and evilness continues and escalates, except for brief periods of time when it briefly abates.

Any of you ever read anything this horrific, but ultimately hopeful, in your life?

And yet, I could hardly put this book down; it really inspired me and changed my life.

Sounds like the Book of Mormon to me!
Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be. Michael Scott

robcan2

Postby robcan2 » Wed 18 Aug, 2010 01:50 pm

Lowdoggy Dogg wrote:

People being burned alive, arms being chopped off, but an excellent message. I like the war parts.

I like the part with the golden ball that tells the characters where to go and what to do.
Random musings from a musing randomizer: Rob From Reality

Benny

Postby Benny » Wed 18 Aug, 2010 09:22 pm

I've often felt that the golden ball was a bit of a deus ex machina
When you have fat friends there are no see-saws, only catapults.

Eric's Fat Brother

Postby Eric's Fat Brother » Wed 18 Aug, 2010 10:29 pm

Every time I start to get a little full of myself, thinking I'm the smartest person in the world, I remind myself that whenever I see "deus ex machina," my brain pronounces it "deuce ex machine-uh."
Jeff J. Snider
"I'm crazy but I get the job done."
My NEW weight-loss blog

lisapants

Postby lisapants » Wed 18 Aug, 2010 11:46 pm

I recommend Shaun the Sheep. It is a claymation cartoon made by the same people that do the Wallace and Grommit series. I love the humor, and it also tickles Ondipants' funny bone. It's something we can both enjoy together. It's available to watch instantly on Netflix if you want to check it out.
<------- Ondipants, Babyloo, and Little Buddy

Card

Postby Card » Thu 19 Aug, 2010 12:44 am

Eric's Fat Brother wrote:Every time I start to get a little full of myself, thinking I'm the smartest person in the world, I remind myself that whenever I see "deus ex machina," my brain pronounces it "deuce ex machine-uh."

Me too.

In addition to the deuce ex machine-uh, I like the part with the talking donkey. No wait. That's the Old Testament. My bad.

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Thu 19 Aug, 2010 06:39 am

Card wrote:In addition to the deuce ex machine-uh, I like the part with the talking donkey. No wait. That's the Old Testament. My bad.

Talking donkey? I believe that's "Shrek."
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

KMD

Postby KMD » Thu 19 Aug, 2010 07:12 am

People, back to the point! Shaun the Sheep is awesome!
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Thu 19 Aug, 2010 07:44 am

My brain pronounces it like that too, guys. In fact, I do not dare admit how old I was before I found out how it really is supposed to be pronounced.

I will tell you this: I learned the correct way to say it (never having heard it discussed in real life before) by looking it up on the Internet. So now you know it was fairly recently, considering I have been on this earth a good 61.5 years now. (Holy crapoli.)
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 19 Aug, 2010 08:56 am

I still don't know how to pronounce it. The first time I ever heard of it was when I was typing and editing my sister's college papers for her, and she told me then what it was, but I don't remember how she said it. I do agree that that golden ball thing is one.

Shaun the Sheep sounds great. I love Wallace and Grommit.

EthanBeckstead

Postby EthanBeckstead » Thu 19 Aug, 2010 09:54 am

I wasn't clever enough to figure out you were talking about the Book of Mormon. You're funny Karenin. I'm slower than most, it seems. I wanted to ask you what book you were referring to, maybe I'd want to read it??

robcan2

Postby robcan2 » Thu 19 Aug, 2010 10:15 am

KareNin wrote:My brain pronounces it like that too, guys. In fact, I do not dare admit how old I was before I found out how it really is supposed to be pronounced.

I will tell you this: I learned the correct way to say it (never having heard it discussed in real life before) by looking it up on the Internet. So now you know it was fairly recently, considering I have been on this earth a good 61.5 years now. (Holy crapoli.)

So, not only did I have to look up the pronunciation, but the definition, too. Luckily for me, Wikipedia had both, so I didn't have to strain my brain going to two websites.
KareNin wrote:I have been on this earth a good 61.5 years now.

Now, as in today? Well then, happy half birthday to you! I will eat half a cake today in your honor. Please don't tell me that it's not today, because I really want to eat half a cake.
Random musings from a musing randomizer: Rob From Reality

EthanBeckstead

Postby EthanBeckstead » Wed 25 Aug, 2010 01:47 pm

robcan2 wrote:Who has read The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins? ... and the third and final book, Mockingjay is due out on August 24th. I could resist no longer.

I just finished Catching Fire 2 days ago, and I finished reading Mockingjay today. I enjoyed the books, or I would have stopped reading. I suppose the main thing that annoyed me is that I thought Katniss sometimes behaved in ways that were just not normal. Then again, I've never had to survive by killing other humans, so perhaps I'm not a good judge of what normal would look like in that situation.

The books are fascinating, easy to read, enjoyable to read, full of action, interesting, etc. Collins occasionally has some good literary talent that allows her to describe things in an interesting way.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd give each of the books 3 out of 5 stars. I enjoyed them, but just like a good Grisham novel, when it's over, there's not much left to talk about. The books themselves don't really invoke any lasting morals or memories. For pure entertainment and nothing more, they're great books.

SPOILER ALERT: Katniss marries Haymitch Abernathy

Lowdoggy Dogg

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Thu 26 Aug, 2010 01:40 pm

This is an excellent article on Afghanistan by P.J. O'Rourke:

http://weeklystandard.com/articles/72-hour-expert?

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Thu 26 Aug, 2010 02:08 pm

EthanBeckstead wrote:The books themselves don't really invoke any lasting morals or memories. For pure entertainment and nothing more, they're great books.

Really? After "The Hunger Games", my book group couldn't stop talking about several different ideas. One being how our obsession with reality television shows desensitize our compassion as we enjoy watching other people go through humiliating experiences for our entertainment. I don't think it's too far-fetched to think that one day, we may actually have shows a la "Running Man." After all, there are only a few decades between "I Dream of Jeannie" 's forbidden belly button and "Gossip Girl".

Another thing we discussed was how human beings can be subjected to the same stressors (in the case of "Hunger Games", famine and forced murder games) and develop different coping mechanisms. Why did some of the communities develop a blood-thirsty mentality and others didn't?

Another thing I remember discussing was that the 12 districts easily outnumbered the one Capitol. How can people subjected to generations of slavery break out of the conditioning that they are powerless?

Anyway, those are some things I remember taking away from the books.
www.NewMoneyMama.com

Coolboyharrell

Postby Coolboyharrell » Thu 26 Aug, 2010 02:59 pm

Lowdoggy Dogg wrote:This is an excellent article on Afghanistan by P.J. O'Rourke:

He's sometimes on the NPR game show Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, which is awesome. I recommend that!
If you call me cheap, I'll call you correct.
I'm now blogging, like a good little library worker

Lowdoggy Dogg

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Thu 26 Aug, 2010 03:10 pm

That is a great show.

Binky

Postby Binky » Sun 05 Sep, 2010 10:35 pm

They should get Jim Dale to do the audiobook of "The Book of Mormon."

My favorite audiobook readers, who I am too lazy to look up, are whoever reads "Monster Blood Tattoo: Foundling" (a very Dickensonian series) and the guy who reads "The Book Thief." They're doubleplusgood.
"It's such a fine line between stupid and clever." -- David St. Hubbins

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 06 Sep, 2010 11:10 am

I just read The Hunger Games and I'm starting Catching Fire this morning. I started Hunger Saturday night and finished it this morning. My sister was amazed that I hadn't read them yet, so she brought them over and left them for me, and I'll get Mockingjay as soon as she's finished with it.

I have to say, the premise didn't appeal to me. I didn't know the word Rob used, dystopian, but it's depressing. However, I'm strangely attracted to that kind of fiction, maybe because I firmly believe it IS only fiction, and I'm not worried about it actually happening. Anyway, I was completely engrossed in the book. I'd have read it much faster if it hadn't been such a busy weekend.

Return to “Main Forum”