Recommendations

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Tue 07 Sep, 2010 07:15 am

Momma Snider wrote:I have to say, the premise didn't appeal to me. I didn't know the word Rob used, dystopian, but it's depressing.

That's essentially the point. Dystopian is the opposite of Utopian, so the setting is supposed to be a little depressing, off-kilter, and just this side of implausible. Then we see how the characters deal with that twisted world.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 07 Sep, 2010 10:48 am

Yeah, I looked it up. I don't like that part of it, but I'm really drawn to stories about a hypothetical future, for some reason.

EthanBeckstead

Postby EthanBeckstead » Wed 08 Sep, 2010 08:09 am

AdamOndi wrote:
Momma Snider wrote:I have to say, the premise didn't appeal to me. I didn't know the word Rob used, dystopian, but it's depressing.

That's essentially the point. Dystopian is the opposite of Utopian, so the setting is supposed to be a little depressing, off-kilter, and just this side of implausible. Then we see how the characters deal with that twisted world.

The wholly ironic thing about the words is that the book Utopia by Sir Thomas More is the original use of the word Utopia, as far as I know. Yet, in the book he describes a perfectly dystopian society. It has sparked much debate as to whether he intended it to be a Utopia or Dystopia, many believe that he knew it was not Utopian. Thus, it is ironic that we now use the word Utopia to describe a perfect society when, in fact, the man who first coined the word (back in the early 1500s) may have actually wanted it to describe the opposite.

It makes me laugh a little about the choice of names for the super-high-speed internet broadband company available in many places in Utah who have called themselves: UTOPIA. They are supposed to be the best end-all-be-all system to get your internet connection, but after using government funds to beat down the competition, then more taxes, then millions upon millions of the sales tax revenue for multiple cities in Utah County... Utopia may still fail and end up leaving citizens with debt, or unpaid bonds. If that happens, Utopia will then mean exactly what Sir Thomas More likely intended it to mean, which is sad for Utah, but also interesting.

Also, if I do move to Utah soon, I might sign up with Utopia. There's a conundrum for you.

P.S. I agree that The Hunger Games does have a lot of good things to discuss. I don't completely detract my statement that it's mostly eye-candy reading, but after some comments here and upon further reflection, I concede that there is at least a certain amount of good discussions that are sparked by the reading of the books.

EthanBeckstead

Postby EthanBeckstead » Fri 10 Sep, 2010 09:17 am

This isn't a funny video, so it doesn't belong in the funny video thread.

Does it belong here? Maybe my mentor, Karenin, who always helps me remain on topic and post in the correct threads can help me know for sure. :)

The Forgotton Man, by Jon McNaughton:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KGlBHyVeYU

The Don

Re: Recommendations

Postby The Don » Wed 24 Nov, 2010 03:20 pm

I know people in the past have wondered about how to get in to the Discworld series. Here's a handy chart that breaks down the different series within the whole:

http://www.lspace.org/books/reading-order-guides/the-discworld-reading-order-guide-20.jpg
I like traffic lights.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 29 Nov, 2010 11:09 am

I recommend that someone start talking on this message board. I don't care which thread.

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Fri 17 Dec, 2010 03:39 pm

I can't believe you BYUers have been holding out on us. Why has this not yet been recommended?

Thought of You

I found it both incredibly beautiful and excruciatingly sad.
WiseNLucky

Horizontally gifted since . . . .

Audrey

Postby Audrey » Mon 20 Dec, 2010 02:10 pm

I recommend checking out tonight's total lunar eclipse, which coincides with the winter solstice. That hasn't happened since 1638 and won't happen again until 2094. Check the link for the best time to see it, based on your time zone.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/20/lunar-eclipse-tonight-201_n_798912.html#s211651
If you smile at me I will understand, 'cause that is something everybody everywhere does in the same language.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 20 Dec, 2010 04:54 pm

Wouldn't you know that this would be one of about 10 nights a year that it's raining?

lilcis

Postby lilcis » Mon 20 Dec, 2010 05:02 pm

Raining raining raining with no end in sight! This is crazy weather for down here? Of course, the start of the eclipse is way past my bedtime (especially since I'm sick), so I don't think I could stay up for it anyway.
Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be. Michael Scott

Audrey

Postby Audrey » Tue 21 Dec, 2010 08:52 am

Yeah, we ended up having bad eclipse-viewing weather on the East coast too. I set my alarm for 3:10 a.m. and my husband and I went out in the yard in below-freezing weather in our pajamas, slippers, coats, and hats hoping to see the eclipse, and instead we saw an overcast sky with no moon or stars in sight. Boooooooo.
If you smile at me I will understand, 'cause that is something everybody everywhere does in the same language.

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Tue 21 Dec, 2010 09:43 pm

WiseNLucky wrote:I can't believe you BYUers have been holding out on us. Why has this not yet been recommended?

Thought of You

I found it both incredibly beautiful and excruciatingly sad.

Bump. Did you hate it? That wouldn't hurt my feelings.
WiseNLucky

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 21 Dec, 2010 11:56 pm

I watched it again, because I guess I didn't get it the first time. It is beautiful.

lisapants

Postby lisapants » Wed 22 Dec, 2010 02:09 am

Wow, WnL, that was amazing! What is the connection to BYU? Is the animator a student?
<------- Ondipants, Babyloo, and Little Buddy

Claytonius Maximus

Postby Claytonius Maximus » Wed 22 Dec, 2010 06:08 pm

That was awesome WnL, thanks for the tip.

I watched it in 720p, then I expanded it to full screen, then I command-shift-3'd a bunch of times to take some awesome screencaps. It's my new desktop wallpaper, and I love it.

CM
"You know, it's always a great thing when a director looks at you and says, `Even cheesier.'"

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Sat 25 Dec, 2010 01:45 pm

lisapants wrote:What is the connection to BYU? Is the animator a student?

BYU News Release

snippet: "This short animation is a creative collaboration between BYU animation professor Ryan Woodward and Dance Dept. instructor Kori Wakamatsu."

I read elsewhere that the dancers are BYU students. Here is a link to the 'making of' video.

Tears well up every time I watch the video. I'm a wimp.
WiseNLucky

Lowdoggy Dogg

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Wed 02 Mar, 2011 01:15 pm

I listened to Orson Scott Card's The Lost Gate on audible and enjoyed the story quite a bit. I think it could turn into a really nice series.

I also reread the Alvin Maker series while I was sick with the flu a while back and enjoyed it more than the first time. The parallels between Alvin and Joseph Smith were more apparent to me, and now that I have some kids I found elements of it to be more impactful too.

Of course, many things hit me differently with kids in the picture.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 02 Mar, 2011 02:40 pm

Has anyone read "The Art of Racing in the Rain"? It's told from a dog's point of view, and I liked it. Then I read another book written by a dog, called "A Dog's Purpose" and I loved it even more. Made me cry, but I liked it anyway. I love dogs.

iamroch

Postby iamroch » Mon 07 Mar, 2011 11:02 am

We saw The Lower Lights on Saturday and it was amazing. They are a group of Utah musicians who got together to record hymns. They have a folky style and recorded some older, lesser known hymns. It kind of reminded me of the music from "O Brother, Where Art Thou?"

The concert was great; the best word to describe it is "joyous". The audience really got into it and they put on a great show.

I don't know when they will have shows again, but you can buy their album.
Indifference. It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.
-------------
The Mrs.' blog

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 07 Mar, 2011 11:30 am

That looks really good! I just ordered a CD for Rocky's birthday. I've been trying and trying to figure out what to get him, and all he would say is "a new refrigerator," which is no help because Jeff and Beth just bought us a new refrigerator, which is why he said it. Anyway, I think he will love this CD.

Return to “Main Forum”