Recommendations

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

Eric's Fat Brother

Re: Recommendations

Postby Eric's Fat Brother » Mon 07 Mar, 2011 04:13 pm

So we don't have to get Dad anything for his birthday?!?
Jeff J. Snider
"I'm crazy but I get the job done."
My NEW weight-loss blog

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 07 Mar, 2011 04:24 pm

Not so fast! We do still need a new dryer, you know. :) But no, I guess you're covered for his birthday.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Thu 10 Mar, 2011 02:15 pm

In reply to Momma's recommendation about "The Art of Racing in the Rain" and "A Dog's Purpose," I echo both of those.

I love dogs too, and I love, especially, books about dogs, and books that are supposedly written from the dog's point of view. "A Dog's Purpose" is the absolute best I've ever read like that. It's just incredible if you've ever lived with & loved a dog.

You just have to read it. Or, even better, listen to the Audiobook of it. You will laugh, you will cry, you will hug your dog and then you'll probably start all over again with the book or Audiobook. It's that good. Talking ABOUT it is pointless; you just need to experience it.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Lowdoggy Dogg

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Fri 13 May, 2011 12:16 pm

Michael Connelly books. I am in the process of reading his latest, the only one that I haven't read. Great stuff.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 13 May, 2011 12:55 pm

I just got a Kindle for Mother's Day, and also a gift card to buy books for it, and I am at a loss. I ordered the new Mary Higgins Clark book that I saw on the Best Seller list, and that's all. Oh, and a couple of free games. I wish there was a sudoku game or something.

I guess I can only read one book on Kindle at a time, plus the one by my bed and the one by my recliner, so I'll just be patient until I find another book I want. The thing is, I never have bought new books very often, so I'm not in that mindset. Time to move into the 21st century, I guess.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Fri 13 May, 2011 05:55 pm

One thing I found helpful is to go to the Kindle Store, and download the free sample of a bunch of books you may have heard other people talking about, or by an author you like, and then read whatever looks interesting out of that bunch of samples. I found a couple that I thought I was going to like, before I read the sample--then discovered it just didn't 'grab' me... and likewise, a few that I'd never heard of before, I read the sample and liked enough to go ahead and purchase the entire book.

But "A Dog's Purpose" is still, in my opinion, one that you won't regret buying. I am going to listen to it again starting tonight.

For light reading that's not filled with gore, sex, vampires, or mean people, I always love anything by Alexander McCall Smith, Earlene Fowler, or Jennifer Chaiverini.

For light murder mysteries that are also funny and full of characters you'll like, though not LDS-safe, you could try Mary Daheim. Her Emma Lord / Alpine Advocate series is fun. She also has a Bed-and-Breakfast Murders series that I don't like quite as much, but they're pretty good. Oh, wait. I just remembered, some of these, at least the older ones, aren't available on Kindle yet.

<SIGH> Never mind. I'm such a dolt sometimes.

Anyway, right now I'm reading the "Anne of Green Gables" Series on my Kindle, and loving it. I had never read it before, and I think it was free. (If not, it was $.99 or something) I love it! There are a lot of free books. Just peruse the Kindle Store, and don't listen to your Dolt Friend.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Claytonius Maximus

Postby Claytonius Maximus » Sat 28 May, 2011 03:07 pm

Hey everybody,

I know we used to have some board game geeks here on the board. I don't know if any of them remain, but just in case some do, here's a recommendation.

There is a site called Board Game Arena that has the following games licensed and available for play for free:
    Can't Stop
    Category 5
    Dominion
    Haggis
    Puerto Rico
    Race for the Galaxy
    Puerto Rico

So far I've played a few games of Race, and one of Dominion. It works in your browser, quite well if you ask me.

CM
"You know, it's always a great thing when a director looks at you and says, `Even cheesier.'"

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Tue 31 May, 2011 07:11 am

Claytonius Maximus wrote:Hey everybody,

I know we used to have some board game geeks here on the board. I don't know if any of them remain, but just in case some do, here's a recommendation.

There is a site called Board Game Arena that has the following games licensed and available for play for free:
    Can't Stop
    Category 5
    Dominion
    Haggis
    Puerto Rico
    Race for the Galaxy
    Puerto Rico

So far I've played a few games of Race, and one of Dominion. It works in your browser, quite well if you ask me.

CM

Cool. I was looking around for a site that had some of the good Euro-style board games for online play. There are a few out there, but most of them tend to be in German, with a few French, Dutch, and Spanish ones thrown in to confuse even more. Also, they aren't always licensed to use the actual names of the real games, so things can be a little iffy. It's nice to know there is a site with real, licensed versions out there.

There are also a bunch of popular board games that have been made into iPad apps, with several more on the way. They tend to be way cheaper than the actual physical board games and are a great way to learn the games without having to study a manual or try to find someone who already knows the game.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

KMD

Postby KMD » Tue 31 May, 2011 08:47 am

I used to consider myself a bit of a board game geek. But then I bought Agricola, and had 5 college-educated people over who had never played it either. And after 2 hours of struggling with the instructions and set up, we gave up, packed it in, and just had fondue instead. A week later, I found a website which explained it a little better, and I want to try again, but I fear rounding up other people to play it with me just might not happen.

I think what I've learned from this is, I like fondue better than board games.
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 31 May, 2011 09:44 am

I'm reading a great book right now that was recommended by someone on Facebook. It's The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, but don't let that throw you. It's about the island of Guernsey, a British possession (?) but much closer to France, just off the coast. It was occupied for five years during WWII by the Germans, and this book tells about it. It's delightfully written, though, through the eyes of a journalist the year after the occupation ended, and I'm just loving it.

Claytonius Maximus

Postby Claytonius Maximus » Tue 31 May, 2011 06:23 pm

Agricola is a game that will definitely melt some gray (or is it grey) matter. I've had fun with that game, but now if anybody ever suggests it, it seems like I'm never up for it. It is a constant grind, but there are lots of different things to do, so it can be fun. Definitely learn it from someone who has already played it, and you might want to start with fewer than 5 for a first go-round.

Good luck,

CM
"You know, it's always a great thing when a director looks at you and says, `Even cheesier.'"

KMD

Postby KMD » Wed 22 Jun, 2011 01:09 pm

Has anybody on here already recommended George R. R. Martin's "A Game of Thrones" series? Because if so, consider it SECONDED!

I'm on the second book now, A Clash of Kings, and oh boy, I am actually looking forward to my commute to and from work, since that is Reading Time for me. I haven't watched any of the miniseries on HBO, but when all the hype for it started, it reminded me "Oh yeah, that was a book I've always meant to read and just never got around to. I should go check Audible!" and I have not listened to a podcast or music, or anything else since!

*Disclaimer: These books are not for the incredibly prudish. There is sex. There are curse words. There is incest and rape and lots of children born out of wedlock. And children slaughtered. You have been warned.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 22 Jun, 2011 07:36 pm

I am listening to The Secret Life of Bees in my car. I bought it for the drive to Utah (all by myself!) and I am loving it. I would have liked it if I'd read it, but this is even better, because the person reading it is SO GOOD. I rationed it on the way up, afraid I'd run out of book. I will finish it before I'm even halfway home, but I might just listen again, I love this girl's voice so much.

Benny

Postby Benny » Thu 30 Jun, 2011 09:47 pm

@ KMD I love how he makes Jaime Lanister a sympathetic character. He's evil incarnate, but... dang. I don't remember exactly when that happens, so I'll err on the side of caution and leave it less spoilery.

You should really look up the short story "The Hedge Knight" for one of the best stories he's ever written. It takes place a hundred of so years before the main series so you can read it any time without spoiling anything.
When you have fat friends there are no see-saws, only catapults.

KMD

Postby KMD » Fri 01 Jul, 2011 07:16 am

Ooooo! I will look that up! Thanks!

Jaime Lanister, the Kingslayer, sympathetic? Apparently I haven't hit that part of the books yet. :shock: But I really kind of like his brother Tyrrian. I just finished A Clash of Kings this morning on my commute in. I'm going to catch up with a few podcasts before I dive into the 3rd book, but that should only be a couple days break. I am really, super-duper enjoying these books!

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Mon 11 Jul, 2011 12:06 pm

KMD wrote:*Disclaimer: These books are not for the incredibly prudish. There is sex. There are curse words. There is incest and rape and lots of children born out of wedlock. And children slaughtered. You have been warned.

I'm sorry, but that made me laugh. :lol: Color me prudish.
WiseNLucky

Horizontally gifted since . . . .

Card

Postby Card » Wed 27 Jul, 2011 12:05 pm

I am actually looking for a recommendation. I am looking to put on an event where there will be music. Since I need to pay royalties to the copyright owner of the music, I need to figure out how to do so. I know there are some companies that assist with that, so what I am looking for is a recommendation for a company through which I can go to make sure I'm doing it all legitimately. I would like it to be cheap, easy, nice to deal with the people, and an absense of crazy antics (such as continually trying to sell me on licensing I don't need).

Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Oh, and also, I'm not looking for web ninja skills. I'm looking for someone who has had experience with such.

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Wed 27 Jul, 2011 01:26 pm

If it's going to be a live event, I would suggest just hiring a DJ and let him/her worry about paying any royalties for the music. If it is an event that is going to be broadcast online or TV/Radio/Whatever, then I don't know how the royalties stuff works for that.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

Card

Postby Card » Wed 27 Jul, 2011 01:31 pm

From what I've read, the event organizer is also responsible for that or if it's a business, the business owner. So, yeah, I could ask the DJs and bands to coordinate it for themselves, but I would still be liable (along with them) if they didn't because I am the ultimate organizer of said event and still have that responsibility.

Thanks for your input, though.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Fri 29 Jul, 2011 07:10 am

Doesn't Susannah's family run a music publishing company? Perhaps she would have more insight into this.
You're unique, just like everyone else!

Return to “Main Forum”