A New Thread For Whining and General Gnashing of Teeth

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

quidscribis

Re: A New Thread For Whining and General Gnashing of Teeth

Postby quidscribis » Sat 09 Nov, 2013 05:42 pm

The second house we lived in in Sri Lanka, we had a family of three monitor lizards living on our roof. They, at least, eat bugs and small rodents, so we welcomed them. Except when one broke into our house and couldn't find its way out and wreaked havoc...

The third house we lived in, the one Fahim's parent's own, had a palm civet living in the ceiling. Palm civets are nocturnal and basically, they make it sound like the upstairs neighbor is moving furniture in the middle of the night. Only the upstairs neighbor is a creature smaller than a typical North American house cat. And they pee through the ceilings. And it stinks. Bad. It's really concentrated.

This palm civet finally broke through the ceiling (wood panelling) about a half year ago or so. We were living in Singapore and Fahim's parent's were at their other house in another city at the time, so the palm civet was trapped inside the house with no way to escape for a couple of weeks. It apparently tore up the place. When we went back for a visit, we could see paw marks up to five or six feet high on the walls. Anyway, my mother in law unfortunately found it - they didn't realize it was still in the house - hiding behind some furniture, half starved. It finally ran out the house. The in-laws got the entrance to the ceiling blocked off, so theoretically no more palm civets in the ceiling.

Yeah.
There's no better form of government than a dictatorship when you're the dictator.
-Fahim Farook

Walking the World
Me on Instagram
Me on Twitter
Me on Google+
Me on Facebook

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Sat 09 Nov, 2013 07:46 pm

It's so cute! I wouldn't want one crashing through my ceiling, though.

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Sun 10 Nov, 2013 09:57 pm

They pee. On us. Through the ceiling.

They're not cute.
There's no better form of government than a dictatorship when you're the dictator.
-Fahim Farook

Walking the World
Me on Instagram
Me on Twitter
Me on Google+
Me on Facebook

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 11 Nov, 2013 10:01 am

Well, yeah, that whole pee thing sounds pretty disgusting.

Eric's Fat Brother

Postby Eric's Fat Brother » Mon 11 Nov, 2013 11:54 am

Since they have never peed on ME (through a ceiling or otherwise), I'm still in the "they're so cute" camp.
Jeff J. Snider
"I'm crazy but I get the job done."
My NEW weight-loss blog

bCurt

Postby bCurt » Tue 12 Nov, 2013 04:01 am

You've mentioned the lizards in other places but I don't remember the palm civet's coming up before (who could forget peeing through ceilings?) and I think I'll go ahead and forget them. Plus, they're really not all that cute.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Tue 12 Nov, 2013 09:47 am

Having a very keen sense of smell is a curse. If I had to smell palm civet pee dripping down through the ceilings, I would have to burn the house down.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 12 Nov, 2013 10:19 am

I do agree. Pee smell of any variety is nasty, and if it's soaking into your house, that would be a horrible thing. And the thought of that thing being trapped in there, I can imagine all the damage it did. But then I feel sorry for it.

I even used to get mad at Andy when he peed in just a tiny little spot, and he was cuter than any palm civet. Which I'd never heard of before this story.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Tue 12 Nov, 2013 12:26 pm

ACK. Palm civets will never be on my cute list. Of course, everything furry and smaller than a...I don't know...a mastodon is on my crap list right now. I like nature well enough, but not IN MY FREAKIN' HOUSE.

Putting DCon out today. Wish me luck.
You're unique, just like everyone else!

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Tue 12 Nov, 2013 12:26 pm

Terminix is also on my crap list. I'm firing them.

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Tue 12 Nov, 2013 07:26 pm

I'm so relieved that at least a few of you have come to your senses.

Alas, concrete houses don't burn so well, so that's out of the question.
-Fahim Farook

Walking the World
Me on Instagram
Me on Twitter
Me on Google+
Me on Facebook

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 13 Nov, 2013 11:16 am

That concrete house thing is a problem. I always wish a plane would crash into my old family home, although of course I'd want the pilot to have parachuted to safety, and the renters to be gone somewhere, so no one would get hurt. An alternate ending would be the neighbors in back having a meth lab that blows up and destroys our house, too. An earthquake is always a possibility, but then an awful lot of other homes in the neighborhood would go down, too, so I'm not hoping for that.

SDR

Postby SDR » Wed 13 Nov, 2013 11:29 am

Sounds like it would be easier for you to just hope for faulty wiring that only destroys the one house (while the tenants are away, of course). :)

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Wed 13 Nov, 2013 11:46 am

Before we sold my mom's ancient, rickety, run-down, 250-year-old house, I used to feel guilty because I wished (well, sometimes even prayed) that some of the faulty wiring, or the faulty furnace, or lightning would cause the whole place to blow up. (This was AFTER she was already in the nursing home.) I thought it would be much easier to deal with a check from the insurance company than a realtor and an elder-care lawyer.

Alas, nothing happened to it except the basement (actually, "cellar") flooded and ruined everything down there, and the humidity ruined everything else upstairs, so we didn't get the easy way out.

But the next-door neighbor had always wanted to acquire Mom's place so she could add on to her Antique Barn and provide parking for her customers, so the sale was quick and easy.

The house is still slowly being reclaimed by the earth, but now it's been somebody else's problem for a year and a half.

Whew.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 13 Nov, 2013 12:10 pm

I'm so glad that worked out, Karen! We have actually had an offer on my dad's house, but the offer was $75,000. That's three lots, about a half acre, so the price is ridiculously low, so we're not taking it. The current renters are nice, but in the four months they've lived there, they've only paid about $1000 in rent, which doesn't even cover the mortgage and the insurance, much less the water bill that we pay. And things keep breaking, and the City keeps wanting us to upgrade things. They want us to pave the driveway, which sounds fine on paper, but this is a huge dirt property. It doesn't even have heat, so I can't hope for the furnace to blow up, but electrical problems are a very real possibility. If we collected the $167,000 in insurance that the State requires us to have, I would gladly give the renters several thousand to replace their belongings.

That's what would happen if I was writing this book. Since I'm not, I figure it's just one of my trials, which are not many, and this one is not life-altering, so I can deal.

GenAdFemale

Postby GenAdFemale » Mon 18 Nov, 2013 09:33 am

GAH and I went on a vacation I've been looking forward to for 20 years to celebrate our 25th anniversay, and GAH goes and passes out on me on the second day we were there. A trip to ER, several seizure-like episodes later, lots of vomiting, a priesthood blessing from the branch president, and another day of recuperation, and that pretty much wiped out half the vacation.

We did have a good time, I am grateful my husband is not more incapacitated than he was, and it was nice just to be away...

...but I'm still feeling gypped out of a vacation.

(On the upside, I get to call my husband El Diablo because the whites of his eyes are totally blood red from burst capillaries. It's so gross! But a great conversation starter)

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 18 Nov, 2013 02:25 pm

But what was wrong with him, GAF? and has it been resolved, or is it an ongoing issue?

GenAdFemale

Postby GenAdFemale » Mon 18 Nov, 2013 03:25 pm

We don't really know what caused him to pass out this time. We think it was not enough sleep Sunday to Monday (as in no sleep at all because we had a red-eye flight from MSP to FLL) and then a vigorous Monday of vacationing. He hadn't eaten breakfast yet (in fact he was in the middle of making oatmeal in our motel room when he went down) and he's been told that not eating is one of his triggers. He has been told by doctors not to fast. He's going in to his regular doctor tomorrow for a check up.

Last time he passed out (6 years ago? 5?), I swore that the next time he did it, I wasn't going to call 911, but I caved this time because we were on vacation, and his family would probably tan my hide if I didn't. Plus he was out for longer than usual and wasn't breathing at one point. I was just about to do CPR and he finally took a breath.

I am CPR certified, but they don't tell you that when the man on the ground is your husband, you tend to forget important steps. Thank goodness he started breathing again.

Thanks for letting me talk about it.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Mon 18 Nov, 2013 04:46 pm

That is so scary, GAFfy! But way to find a silver lining--I'm sure El Diablo really appreciates his new nickname. Or you could call him the Angry Ood... :D

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Mon 18 Nov, 2013 04:46 pm

Wait, "trigger"?

Return to “Main Forum”