A New Thread For Whining and General Gnashing of Teeth

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

Momma Snider

Re: A New Thread For Whining and General Gnashing of Teeth

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 12 May, 2014 12:43 pm

His eyes, Scott. I meant his eyes.

Eric's Fat Brother

Postby Eric's Fat Brother » Mon 12 May, 2014 01:04 pm

Remember, Mom, if you respond, it only encourages him.
Jeff J. Snider
"I'm crazy but I get the job done."
My NEW weight-loss blog

SDR

Postby SDR » Mon 12 May, 2014 05:38 pm

You don't have to say it like it's a *bad* thing.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 28 May, 2014 11:35 am

I'm feeling just a mite cranky today, but you'll all agree that I have a right to be. First, someone said she was going to bring pecan pie, so I arranged my food around having some. When she went to pick it up, she didn't like the looks of it, so she got coconut instead. As I told my family, that's like taking your puppy and replacing it with a pet snail or something. Oh, I ate some, and now I have heartburn, but it was not worth it.

Now three moms are sitting here in my office, which is very small in the first place, and they are conversing in Spanish, but one of them is also playing Celine Dion on her iPad to entertain her child, who is NOT entertained but is yelling more loudly to be heard over it, and the three of them are ignoring him and talking even more loudly to be heard over his yells over "My Heart Will Go On."

Has anyone ever been more picked on than I?

lisapants

Postby lisapants » Wed 28 May, 2014 01:21 pm

Wow, I am not in the mood for extraneous noise today, so all that noise in your office would indeed make me cranky and probably send me over the edge. Good luck to you!
<------- Ondipants, Babyloo, and Little Buddy

SDR

Postby SDR » Wed 28 May, 2014 03:01 pm

Momma Snider wrote:Has anyone ever been more picked on than I?

Only Job. ;)

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 28 May, 2014 06:28 pm

I know! I'd rather have boils!

Well, okay, that's pushing it.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 30 May, 2014 02:30 pm

A group of 5th grade girls are cutting themselves. I know that's sometimes a sign that someone is really hurting inside, etc., but in this case (and back when I used to do the same thing in 5th grade) it's just a thing some girls do when they get together, like gossiping or giggling. But of course we have to take it seriously, because maybe one of them is having real issues. It is really taking up a lot of time right now, because the principal has to talk to each one and also call each parent. I hope any of them who needs help will get it. It's kind of worrisome with it being Friday afternoon and the end of the school year to boot.

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Sun 01 Jun, 2014 07:43 pm

That makes my heart hurt, Momma. :(
There's no better form of government than a dictatorship when you're the dictator.
-Fahim Farook

Walking the World
Me on Instagram
Me on Twitter
Me on Google+
Me on Facebook

lisapants

Postby lisapants » Thu 05 Jun, 2014 02:47 pm

Josh found a corn kernel this morning and of course stuck it in his ear and got it stuck. We went to the pediatrician, but she couldn't get it out, so now we have to go to and ENT. And because he was squirming and saying it hurt so much, she thinks he might have to have anesthesia for them to be able to get to it. Great.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 05 Jun, 2014 04:05 pm

Oh, my gosh! What next? We had a piece of a purple crayon up Jeff's nose one time, and a little seashell up Laura's nose. I got both of those out with the head of a straight pin. I think the only ear thing was just a couple of years ago. Joy rolled her car in the desert, landed on the roof, and was stuck there for about a half hour. She wasn't even sure where she was, and no cars were passing by. Luckily she had her phone plugged in on the charger, so it was hanging nearby, and 911 eventually found her. She wasn't hurt, except for aches and pains, but about a week later she felt something in her ear. I looked around in there and then got out my trusty straight pin and stabbed it and pulled it out. It was a ball of sand mixed with ear wax, bigger than a pea. It was amazing how the wax had gathered up all the sand to keep it from damaging her inner ear.

SDR

Postby SDR » Thu 05 Jun, 2014 09:17 pm

Scary. When we totalled our minivan back in 2007, it was pretty much right on the Davis / Weber county line on I-15 with no shortage of traffic or witnesses, so we didn't have to wait long for help. I did find a couple of tiny itty bitty pieces of glass on my ear later. Not in the canal fortunately, but it was ... unsettling. Yes, that's the word. Finding bits of glass on my person days after the fact was unsettling.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 09 Jun, 2014 09:26 am

So, Lisa, did they get the corn out?

lisapants

Postby lisapants » Mon 09 Jun, 2014 04:56 pm

Yikes about Joy's accident! That sounds scary.

The appointment with the ENT was this morning. We went in and she had a little hook tool to try to dig it out. (The pediatrician only had skinny tweezers, and that didn't work at all.) The first time she tried, I was holding his hands down, but his head twitched when she put the hook in his ear and it scratched his ear a little bit and he started to cry because it was starting to hurt. She said we have two options. First, we could restrain him more and just try to get it out now, but that might be traumatic for him. Second, we could come back on Tuesday or Thursday and give him anesthesia and get it out on the surgery table. I opted for more restraints and just getting it out now. A couple nurses came in to hold his head and shoulders still while I kept holding his hands and arms. He was crying pretty hard, and for a second it seemed like she wasn't going to be able to get it out, but then all of a sudden it popped out. It really only took about 5 seconds of him being restrained. She checked the ear after and there is a bruise from the kernel being wedged in there for a few days. But now it's out (YAY!) and he doesn't seem to be traumatized at all now that it's done.

KMD

Postby KMD » Mon 09 Jun, 2014 07:30 pm

Phew! So glad it's out!
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 30 Jun, 2014 09:42 pm

First whine: it's so lonely here! I know I haven't done my part lately, but I check a few times a day. KMD and Lisa, how are the kids? How is the house hunt? Quidscribis, how's the weather, and how are you feeling? SDR, how are things with you? Come on, someone complain about something!

Second whine: Rocky has gone to girls camp and won't be home until Thursday. It's lonely around my house, as well as here on the board. But I do have many many many projects to work on, mostly housekeeping/organizing/cleaning, and we'll see how many of them I get to in the next five weeks before I go back to work. There is plenty of time to do it all, if I wasn't so lazy.

Third whine: My brain still hasn't adjusted to the monovision contacts. I can read without reading glasses (!) which was the main goal, but watching TV is terrible. There's kind of a blurry overlay all the time. I guess the real benefit will be when I go back to work and don't have to keep popping the glasses on and off. In the meantime, I keep thinking I'm a quitter if I take the reading contact out in the evening.

I guess none of those things are serious issues, though, so I'm going to quit complaining for tonight.

KMD

Postby KMD » Tue 01 Jul, 2014 06:56 pm

Quick post to say, the house hunting might be coming to an end. We found one we love this weekend & the price is right. Just doing some extra research on the neighborhood before we put in a bid. And it can't happen fast enough! We're both working in Charleston now, so my mom is keeping my son all day long, and it makes for a very long day, 2 hours driving time, every day!

Son is doing OK, but he's started these little tics, where he taps himself on the face, or blows on his shoulders before he takes a bite, and it's weird, and I know kids are going to make fun of him and I need to get him to his doc to see if this is a side effect of his meds, or something new we're dealing with. Lovely. And I haven't had time to get him to his doc, did I mention the 2 hours commuting every day??
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Fri 04 Jul, 2014 12:26 pm

Yikes, KMD! That commute sounds awful. And maybe it's too soon, but The Hub likes to watch The Middle, and the youngest child in that family (Brick) does similar things to what it sounds like your boy is doing. But save that for when you're ready to laugh at it, instead of worry about it.

We're updating our house--little things like painting the laminate countertops to match each other and painting the awful gold backsplash to a more acceptable copper, which will match the cabinet hardware (which will also receive a refresh). We're thinking about painting the cabinets off-white. In exchange, I'll quit looking for a bigger house for a while. Maybe. We're also taking care of all those little nagging problems--places where the paint needs touching up, mostly--and painting the master bathroom so that it will quit hanging on to moisture and growing mildew. Because mildew smells awful. I'd like to replace my ancient dishwasher, where the mildew also likes to thrive, but it's not in the budget. Guess I'll have to attack it with the same stuff I used on the bathroom ceiling.

I'm also up to my knees in crafts that I'm planning to sell at the local craft market. Having a stall for just one Saturday is only $10, so I think I could easily make that back and then some. And everything else I'm making is coming from my stash, so maybe I'll earn enough to pretend to be able to buy a new dishwasher! :D

I've also been put in charge of planning the ward Pioneer Day activity. I've got people volunteering to make crafts with the children and make the pioneer-era desserts, but NO ONE will volunteer to moderate the pioneer games! Which means I have to schmooze and bully my ward friends into doing it. I already abuse their goodwill on a regular basis, and I've made the mistake of telling them all they can tell me 'no' anytime. Dang it.

Hm, just remembered this is the whining, teeth-gnashing thread. OK, the reason I caved on finding us a bigger house is that there isn't anything acceptable in our price range, our preferred area, and our size needs. Who knew that finding a 4-bedroom, 2.5 bathroom house with around 2000 sq ft and a garage would be so DIFFICULT? We did find one, but the front door opened to the stairs (hate that! and not because of feng shui) and the living room was a little small. Found a five bedroom place, but it was 1700 sq ft, which is TINY when you have four children. It was sad, because the tiny house had a HUMONGOUS back yard and was on a cul-de-sac and had sidewalks. But the living room was about the size of our master bedroom now, and that just doesn't work. We need space.

ARGH. (<--- there's the teeth-gnashing)
You're unique, just like everyone else!

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Fri 04 Jul, 2014 07:28 pm

I'm in pain. I feel like I've been on the rack. All I want to do is curl up in the fetal position and whimper, but curling up would hurt too much.

How's that for a whine? I'm not kidding about any of it, by the way. Pain is through the roof.
There's no better form of government than a dictatorship when you're the dictator.
-Fahim Farook

Walking the World
Me on Instagram
Me on Twitter
Me on Google+
Me on Facebook

SDR

Postby SDR » Sun 06 Jul, 2014 10:51 pm

I shall combine whining and teeth gnashing with other more positive things, as I'm too lazy to write two different posts in two different threads. Hopefully I'm not repeating too much of stuff I've previously written.

1. Early June we (perhaps foolishly) traded in our 19' travel trailer for a 28' motor home. It actually gets better fuel economy on the highway than the truck pulling the trailer did, and passengers can actually get up and get a drink or simple food items from the galley. Even have a bathroom though I'd generally avoid that while the vehicle is moving. That being said, if we need a "rest break" as it were, we can just pull over anywhere, use the facilities, then get right back on the road.

2. That led to our quadrennial (so it seems) vacation to Oklahoma and Texas to visit my father and sister. Also stayed a day with a friend in the Albuquerque area on the way home, as it is a long drive from north east Texas to Herriman, UT. We were gone from the 20th to the 30th of June with relatively little internet along the way. I didn't talk about taking the trip online because...

3. 15 months ago or so my sister posted something critical of the education system, and my wife, a teacher, took it poorly (shall we say) due in no small part to pain she was in from various maladies that would require outpatient procedures that were scheduled but had not yet been performed. One very strong (perhaps mean) comment from my wife led to my sister doing everything short of cutting us out of her life and withdrawing from virtually everything. We had wanted to go to Texas last summer but the failure to sell the old house to that point kept us from making such an expensive trip. Fortunately, we made it this summer, and wrongs were righted and forgiveness was granted and all is better with the world now. For my part in this, I had both parties disappointed in me because I would not "take sides" or "just listen". I felt there was plenty of "wrongness" to go around and that no party was perfect in the matter, and of course my desire is to fix things, so ... anyway, I'm glad that's behind us now.

4. My eldest son got into some trouble several years ago and stopped talking to me after a strongly worded letter that stated something to the effect of "man up" (huge abbreviation & paraphrasing there). It took him until this spring to call and start talking to me again. Then he invited me and his half brother to the wedding but specifically cut my wife out, so I thanked him *very much* for the invitation but told him I couldn't just cut my wife out like that and that she'd done a lot of things for him over the years and that he was free to feel whatever but that I thought it was unwarranted. When told about this, my wife said "just go, I know you want to, and I don't want to be the reason you don't get to see your son married".

5. While in Texas, I got a call from him wishing me a happy Fathers Day (a week or so late for legitimate reasons, but for the first time in years, so YAY) and saying he decided it wasn't fair to expect me to leave my wife behind, especially since the wedding was on a holiday (July 4) so she could come after all. Not ideal necessarily, but huge progress from who he was.

6. Early-ish on the 3rd I got a call asking when we were coming to town (the wedding being in Richfield, a 2.5 to 3 hour drive south of Herriman) and I said we were planning to drive down, attend, and drive back all on the 4th. Why? He was wondering if we might be in town to help setup the church building where the wedding and reception were to be held at 10pm the night before the event. I said I'd see if I could move things around so we could leave early. Another call a couple hours later said they couldn't get in to setup until midnight. So we left as soon as we could and drove down to Richfield in the new RV, got to his in-laws house at 12:20 am. No one was there or awake, but his vehicle was gone, so we drove over to the church owned youth center to see if they were setting up. Nope, no one there. So we drove to the Walmart parking lot and "dry camped" for the night.

7. The next morning I learned that they'd left something at his job (he works at a ranch near Capital Reef a couple hours from Richfield) and had sped there (and been given a $280 wedding gift by the highway patrol) to get it for the wedding, but hadn't called to let me know. Ah well. Sleeping in the Walmart parking lot is always fun. :)

8. Even though he's made a lot of progress over the last few years in forgiving the wrongs he feels were made some years ago, it was still really hard for my wife to be there. She was there for the wedding and the first part of the reception, but then went to the RV. She hadn't been feeling good to begin with the previous day, and the heat and emotions of the day just got to her, so she went and kept our puppies company (because really, what is an RV without three small dogs?)

9. The morning that he called to ask when we'd arrive, he told me that it wasn't meant as a slight to me, but that he and his bride had decided to take his maternal grandfather's last name as their married name because of reasons which made some sense but still didn't leave me thinking "YAY!" The next day the bishop only used their given / legal names, so at least for that one day, my son still shares my last name and my daughter in law likely will as well, so that felt like a win.

10. Oh, and we stopped in Four Corners on the way home and took pictures and spent money on souvenirs.

Long as that is, it is very much the Readers Digest condensed version of what's been going on with me of late. Some whine worthy things, but good things as well that more than offset those things. I finally have a "daughter" after almost 22 years of fatherhood. No grandchildren yet (that I'm aware of, anyway). :)

Return to “Main Forum”