A New Thread For Whining and General Gnashing of Teeth

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

SDR

Re: A New Thread For Whining and General Gnashing of Teeth

Postby SDR » Tue 19 Apr, 2016 01:21 pm

It's nice when things work out that way. Maybe I should cross post my whining and general gnashing of teeth thing from FB here.

KMD

Postby KMD » Tue 16 Aug, 2016 07:49 pm

Sorry I haven't posted in a long time. But boy, have I got a whine! In mid-July, I went to the ER for terrible abdominal pain. While testing me to figure out what was causing it, the doctors found a "mass" on my liver. Long story short, it's a hepatic adenoma (tumor). It's not cancerous, but if left alone, it could turn cancerous. It's about 2 in x 2 in x 1.5 in. So, not small. My liver is speckled with other, small ones the doctor expects will go away, but big boy has to come out. I am undergoing surgery at the end of the month, and they are removing 50% of my liver. You can survive with only 20% of a liver, and over time it will regrow the other 80%. So, yeah. I'm about to use my mutant abilities and regrow my liver. :shock:

So, I haven't posted on the weight loss thread because I really don't care. I lost weight the week I was in the hospital, because, well, hospital food. Their " diabetic menu" was full of things I would never eat now, like potatoes at every meal, and sugar filled desserts! My blood sugar was all over the place, so they kept shooting me with insulin, which was awful. When I left the hospital, the next day I bottomed out in the middle of a BooksAMillion. That is the first time that has happened to me since I was diagnosed. It felt awful. Thank goodness my sweetie was with me & got me something to eat. Not looking forward to repeating that with this next hospital stay.

Also, since I'm whining, I can't wear pants. Where the tumor is located, right beneath my ribs, anything with a waistband rubs against it, or squeezes it, and makes it hurt. So it has been all dresses, all the time. I am not OK with that. I work in IT. In a very male dominated industry. I prefer to blend in, be "one of the guys". Our dress code was relaxed 2 years ago, and it is now standard to wear jeans every day. And now I'm all up in there in dresses! I stick out like a sore thumb, and whenever people ask why I am wearing a dress, I have no ability to lie, and I end up telling them about this tumor growing inside me, making both them and me uncomfortable. But I can't stop myself, it is at the forefront of my brain, and I can't stop saying the word tumor. Tumor!

My son just turned 10, I put off the surgery a month to be healthy enough to throw his party. He's still too young to understand what is going on, all he knows is Mommy is tired a lot ( sometimes it bleeds, and boy, I can tell when it is!) and don't jump on me. And that I'll be in the hospital for a while. If I try to say more than that, he begs me to stop, saying it is making him sad. He wants to visit me in the hospital, but they won't allow anyone younger than 14. My parents are practically going to move in with us for a while to help take care of me, and watch my son while I'm in the hospital. And of course, the week I am having it done, my son's class is going on this big, 3 day field trip, and they need parent drivers, which obviously we can't do. My son refuses to go on the trip, but the teachers are all gone, so if he doesn't go, he basically has to stay home from school those 3 days. So, thank goodness for my parents being here to watch him, my husband won't want to leave my side. I had to force him to go home to sleep last time, and I wasn't even having a procedure then, just tests!

So yeah, my world has been a busy, scary, somewhat painful place lately. Finally getting that New Year's resolution from a few years back taken care of, making a will. Thank goodness for LegalZoom. I'm accepting prayers, virtual hugs, and all good wishes anyone wants to send me. Just aim them at my left side, the right is a little tender right now.
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

SDR

Postby SDR » Tue 16 Aug, 2016 08:07 pm

Holy crap KMD! Best of luck through this.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 18 Aug, 2016 10:31 am

You've got my prayers and hugs! I would send you Brownies, but that wouldn't be appropriate, what with diabetes and stuff. I am so sorry you're going through all this, but glad you shared with us. Please keep us updated! I know SDR and I are the only ones left here, but we care! I'm glad you have your parents to help out with your son, and I'm glad you have an attentive husband. That helps a lot, I know. Mine is like that when I'm sickly, too, and it makes all the difference.

Also, how is your son doing these days?

I have nothing to whine about. Nothing. My brother died last week, and I miss him, but the funeral went well, and his wife seems to be doing okay, and she has her son and his family and her five siblings to support her. And as a bonus, five of my kids were here for the funeral.

Hang in there, KMD!

KMD

Postby KMD » Thu 25 Aug, 2016 07:30 pm

Thanks Momma and SDR, I can feel the love from here.

Surgery is happening next Tues, 9AM. I am really looking forward to getting it over and getting this out. I will be on short term leave at work for 6-8 weeks, right in the middle of a huge project. I hate leaving them all up in the air, I was the one running the project and doing the bulk of the work. Now I've got co-workers stepping up for it, but I have had to try and dump all the knowledge out of my noggin and into theirs. I hate that part of it. The 6-8 weeks of doing nothing but resting and napping sounds wonderfully appealing.

My son is doing better so far this school year, he's now in the middle of the pack, age-wise, so he doesn't feel like the youngest and smallest anymore. But, the year is young. I'm sure soon someone will start picking on him for something. Overall it's still so much better than public school.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 14 Sep, 2016 11:32 am

KMD, how are you doing? Did everything go as planned?

Two major whines today: first, my left knee, the one I had replaced five years ago, hurts really badly. The pain is right on my kneecap. I've been walking six days a week for 30-40 minutes a day since mid-July, and I don't know what will happen to my tenuous hold on my meager weight loss if I have to stop.

Also, we have a kindergartner here who is the size of a 3rd grader. He doesn't want to come to school, so he throws chairs and desks and other things, and punched the principal in the nose the other day, bending her glasses and breaking the skin. Today he picked up my computer monitor and threw it across my desk and to the floor. I wasn't at my desk, or THAT wouldn't have happened. The mom's response to this daily occurrence is to say the teacher picks on him and she's going to file a complaint at the district office. We can't even suspend him until we've tried all other measures for six weeks. I might be in jail before then.

SDR

Postby SDR » Wed 14 Sep, 2016 04:55 pm

My wife has a new unlicensed teacher in her department (and she's the head of the sped dept) who for some reason doesn't get the concepts of appropriate comments and personal space. He's a former seminary teacher, and I'm guessing this is why.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 15 Sep, 2016 09:22 am

Unlicensed teacher? Does that just mean he hasn't finished his paperwork, or are we going to read about that school district in the newspaper?

SDR

Postby SDR » Thu 15 Sep, 2016 11:40 am

It means that this summer the state school board created a new path to a license for people with a degree in a particular subject who do not have formal / recognized teacher training.

I'm not opposed to allowing people who haven't gone to school to get a degree in teaching the opportunity to teach. There are awful teachers who exist despite having passed all the legal requirements. This is just not one of them, and for some reason the administration of this school is bending over backward to accommodate him, including paying him more than my wife, his dept head, despite my wife having to do all her work and a large chunk of his work during the mentoring process.

Note that the pay is only a known issue because she was CCed on all the emails he was sent, including his offer letter, which showed he is being paid 10% more than she is, despite the fact that the value he brings to the table is significantly less. Also she'd talked to the administration about a raise last May (after she'd taken on the dept head role) and was told the money wasn't there. It was a bit of a slap in the face, but she's trying to soldier through.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 15 Sep, 2016 11:49 am

Wow. So maybe we'll be reading about them after all. I'm glad she's hanging in there, though.

SDR

Postby SDR » Thu 15 Sep, 2016 10:36 pm

Note that it is a charter school, so you kind of expect a certain amount of non-conformity.

KMD

Postby KMD » Fri 16 Sep, 2016 05:14 am

Wow, SDR, that stinks for your wife!

I've had my surgery, it went incredibly well. When the doctor got in there, the tumor was located close to the surface, so he was able to "scoop it out like ice cream", and I only lost 10% of my liver instead of the expected 50%. So my recovery time has been much quicker, next week I'll be 3 weeks out, and starting back to work half-days. This makes me incredibly happy. Apparently there is only so much lying around and watching TV I can do before I go crazy, and 3 weeks is my limit. :)

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 20 Sep, 2016 11:03 am

I'm so glad it went so well! I'm back to wishing I could get sick and lie on the couch for a while, but I know it would get old. And I don't like being sick, of course. Not to mention that I couldn't take off any bereavement days when my brother died, even though I'm entitled to five days, because it was the beginning of the school year and there is no one to sub for me. Then I had jury duty three weeks later, and was FORCED to be out for two days, but I came in on my lunch the first day and before court started the second day, and even at that everything was a mess when I got back. I really need to start training other people in the office.

Today I fell down while I was on my walk. As I was falling (in slow motion) I was wondering what was going to hurt the most. I hit my left palm and left knee and right elbow. That must have looked funny, had anyone been watching in the near-dark at 6 a.m. I have a scrape on my elbow, and my shoulders both hurt, as well as my neck and my back. I'm too old for acrobatics like that.

Return to “Main Forum”