A New Thread For Whining and General Gnashing of Teeth

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

SDR

Re: A New Thread For Whining and General Gnashing of Teeth

Postby SDR » Fri 20 Feb, 2015 03:33 pm

Poor Momma. {le sigh} ;)

KMD

Postby KMD » Mon 23 Feb, 2015 08:50 am

Because things were going too well, life had to throw us some more curveballs. this time in the form of 3 ft of snow where the house we are seling is. So the movers can't get to my house and we've had to reschedule twice, hoping the DoT will finally scrape our road!

Forgot to add: that big train wreck that was on the news last week? That was where my husband went to college and about 15 miles down the interstate from us. We needed more excitement around here, it was starting to get dull....
Last edited by KMD on Mon 23 Feb, 2015 01:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 23 Feb, 2015 10:26 am

That snow is totally ridiculous! I wish ol' Mother Nature would moderate herself. I hope the snowplows get it done, at least, and that you guys don't have any more big snowstorms, at least until you get your stuff moved.

Jersey Girl

Postby Jersey Girl » Tue 24 Feb, 2015 08:49 pm

Since KMD is a little farther north than me and complained about the snow. I'm going to complain about the cold Brrrrr!. We've been shattering record lows here. This is not a typical winter for us. I was in SoCal last week and now I want to go back again. I miss the sun and the feeling of warm air. Spring can't come soon enough.
"Chicken legs were moved, roads were crossed, motives were questioned."--EFB

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 25 Feb, 2015 10:21 am

And Southern California really had beautiful weather last week! Yesterday it was "cold" and windy, meaning mid-50s, and it's still a little nippy today, only 45 at 8:20 a.m. The wind is gone, though. And now they're predicting rain Saturday, Sunday, AND Monday, which would be a really good thing!

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Thu 26 Feb, 2015 07:36 pm

Our weather hasn't changed. We've been sitting at around 28C/82F to 30C/86F. With monsoon rains occasionally plus the occasional fairly big wind.

We were in San Francisco for a week, got home a week ago. It was cold for me, relative to the tropical temperatures I've been immersed in for the last more than a decade. We were there on client business and it was a very unexpected trip. They told us they wanted us to come and we flew a week and a half later, while a week in there was spent on getting Fahim a US visa. Because, you know, undesireable passports and all that.
There's no better form of government than a dictatorship when you're the dictator.
-Fahim Farook

Walking the World
Me on Instagram
Me on Twitter
Me on Google+
Me on Facebook

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 27 Feb, 2015 10:11 am

I would love to go to San Francisco. I've only been there once, the summer between 8th grade and high school, and that happened to be 1967, the "Summer of Love." My dad even drove us past Haight-Ashbury, the famous intersection where the hippies hung out. That vacation, one of only two or three that my family ever took, was memorable for a number of reasons. We stayed in a motel in Daly City, one night, first and only time we ever did that, and I think all eight of us were in the same room. (Or maybe my older brother didn't go, so there were only seven of us.) We went to Sequoia and King's Canyon and camped both places for a few nights. And I had spent a week at a beach house with my aunt and cousins just before we left on the trip, and that was awesome, too. That was on Balboa Island, the only time I've ever been there. So it was an overall memorable summer, which I'm sure could not be replicated even if I took a trip now.

I also just read a book that took place in San Francisco, a Josi Kilpatrick mystery called Fortune Cookie. I love books that take place in actual places and mention actual streets and locations and stuff.

SDR

Postby SDR » Fri 27 Feb, 2015 12:50 pm

I flew from Salt Lake to Medford OR via SF once. That's my entire experience with SF. :)

Edit: Oh, yeah, and the return trip. So I've been to SF *TWICE*!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 27 Feb, 2015 01:10 pm

My daughters had a layover in SF on the way home from Hawaii a few years ago. It was supposed to be 6 hours, from midnight to 6, but due to complications it was an additional 3 hours. I'm sure that's all they ever hope to see of that place.

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Fri 27 Feb, 2015 06:22 pm

The flights themselves were painful for me. Really really painful. I don't sleep on flights anyway - I try, but it never works. So I just sit there in pain. I want to become well-off enough that we can travel business or first class everywhere - that would be so much less painful.

Anyway. 20 hour flights. Which isn't the worst I've ever flown. So because we were heading to North America anyway, I checked into the process of getting Fahim a visa to visit Canada. Since we'll be in the general area anyway, right? Turns out average processing times for Canadian visas are sitting at 21 business days. That works out to a month, more if there are any holidays in there. Yeah. Not happening. All sorts of my relatives nagged me for not coming to Canada, but what am I supposed to do? No way am I travelling without Fahim.

Having an undesireable passport just sucks.
There's no better form of government than a dictatorship when you're the dictator.
-Fahim Farook

Walking the World
Me on Instagram
Me on Twitter
Me on Google+
Me on Facebook

KMD

Postby KMD » Fri 27 Feb, 2015 06:41 pm

That does suck!

I have been to San Fran 3 times for a user's conference for the software I support, and I'm going back in April! Hooray! Last year between conference duties, a group of us hit the Japanese tea garden and a botanical garden, and it was great. Perked me up, because it was sunny and 70's and spring filled, and back home they were having a snowstorm. It was nice to miss one for a change.

Oh, this is the whining thread... um... I took a day off work this week to meet the movers and pack up my house. All that snow was still on the ground, but the driveway was shoveled, but the moving van was so large, he couldn't get it into my driveway with all the snow piled up on the side of the road. So they parked it in the street, and every time someone wanted to come up or down, they had to stop, close up the truck, move to let the person past, then come back and start up again. Even with shoveling and salting, my front steps had a layer of ice on them. The movers put down a furniture pad & walked on that. They were down a man, because the day before one slipped on the job and was hurt. And while we loaded, it began to snow some more. Then my hubbie says " Gee, I wonder if the mini storage folks have been able to scrape the lot?" So, I called and asked, and the woman said No, it was a sheet of ice. But, they have 3 lots, and she wasn't completely sure which one I meant, so we decided to stop loading the truck and see if we could get in and unload. And for once, luck was on our side, and ours was the one lot that did get scraped! We got the truck unloaded, filled 2.5 out of the 3 units I had rented. So now we have to go back and finish this weekend to get the last stuff out before the final walkthrough. I am really hoping some snow has melted, because we mostly need to do the outside furniture and things in the outbuilding and earlier this week the snow was too deep to even make our way to the outbuilding, now we have to empty it.

On the good news side, the home inspection on the house we are about to buy went incredibly well! So, things are moving forward and I will own a new home soon! :D

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Sat 28 Feb, 2015 07:46 pm

New home! Yay!!!!!
-Fahim Farook

Walking the World
Me on Instagram
Me on Twitter
Me on Google+
Me on Facebook

Jersey Girl

Postby Jersey Girl » Tue 03 Mar, 2015 07:48 pm

Congratulations KMD! I'm so happy things are finally working out for you.

I've visited San Francisco a few times. The last time I was there I went to Alcatraz and then wandered around Chinatown. Alcatraz was really cool. When I was in Southern California a few weeks ago, people were commenting I was there during a good week. It was in the 80s the first couple days and dropped to the 60s. I wished I brought a light jacket instead of a sweatshirt because I had acclimated. Now I'm back in the 30s again. I miss flowers and warm sunlight. We are supposed to get a storm on Thursday. An ice storm made church only an hour on Sunday.
"Chicken legs were moved, roads were crossed, motives were questioned."--EFB

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 04 Mar, 2015 09:24 am

Where were you in southern California, Jerseygirl? I don't remember you stopping by to visit me...

KMD

Postby KMD » Wed 04 Mar, 2015 06:11 pm

So... the house we are selling had to have an extension on the closing date, because the snow was so deep & roads so bad, the appraiser couldn't make it to the house to appraise it in time. We 're losing on that one now next week. The house we are buying had a similar issue, appraiser was late, except... we were supposed to close on it today... and no one has been able to get my mortgage lady on the phone for 3 days. Nothing has been done, including no extension. So, I am worried we just lost the house.

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Wed 04 Mar, 2015 07:22 pm

Oh no!
-Fahim Farook

Walking the World
Me on Instagram
Me on Twitter
Me on Google+
Me on Facebook

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 04 Mar, 2015 07:27 pm

No no nononono!
Keep us posted!

KMD

Postby KMD » Thu 05 Mar, 2015 02:49 pm

I think we have averted the crisis. The problem is, the appraiser still hasn't submitted the appraisal, even though I know he was on the property last Thursday. Because of the snow he is behind. Our mortgage lady didn't have anything to share with insurance guy until ahe has the appraisal. I got our real estate agent to file an extension, just in case, and that is in the works now. Appraisal should come in tomorrow, we are now aiming to close by the 19th. But! the selling house is now closing on the 13th, meaning we will have the money from the sale before we buy, which wasn't a big deal for us, but sure looks nice in my account!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 05 Mar, 2015 03:10 pm

Very nice to have it go that way instead of the other way! I'm glad it's all looking good.

I don't know why, but this is making me want to move, except that I don't want to live anywhere else, and I'm sure packing would get old really fast. We just haven't had many experiences moving: never in my youth, only twice since we've been married, and both times only across town. But getting everything packed and sorted and cleaned just sounds fun right now.

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Thu 05 Mar, 2015 06:20 pm

Oh wow, Momma. I can't even imagine that. By the time I was 18, I'd moved (with family, of course) through 6 cities/towns and a total of 13 houses. Now I'm up to five countries, 13 cities/towns, and close to 40 houses/apartments.
-Fahim Farook

Walking the World
Me on Instagram
Me on Twitter
Me on Google+
Me on Facebook

Return to “Main Forum”