A New Thread For Whining and General Gnashing of Teeth

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

Momma Snider

Re: A New Thread For Whining and General Gnashing of Teeth

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 20 Apr, 2015 10:26 am

There are so many places I think I would like to live, and I know I would adapt to wherever I had to go, but I would not like humidity at all, so pretty much the whole southern and eastern parts of the US are out. And as much as I'd love to visit New England, I don't think I could handle cold for too long, so the northern states and Canada would be out for me, too. I really don't like extreme heat, either, so apparently most parts of Arizona are out, too. It does get hot here in the summer, and for a week or two each summer it's also somewhat humid, although at the highest it's usually not more than 60% or so. But most nights it cools down into the high 60s or low 70s, so I can deal with it. St. George, Utah is out for me because it's about the same during the day as it is here, but it can still be 95 degrees at midnight, and I just can't stand to not be able to get cool. In fact, anywhere between an hour north of here and St. George, 265 miles away, would be out for that reason.

So that leaves the states on the west coast of USA and also Nevada and Utah, maybe Colorado. And since I love my house, I don't plan to more anywhere, ever, although I'd go to Utah if it weren't for my kids and granddaughter here. And I hope to go to Scotland on our mission, but my husband is hoping for Israel or South America or even Africa. Yuck.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 21 Apr, 2015 12:21 pm

I am seriously going to have to quit my job if I ever want to lose weight. I've gotten pretty good at saying no, but they're testing my limits today.

First someone brought in Oreo cupcakes. I was able to resist after one bite, because it really didn't taste good to me. Then the same person went for Costco croissants and chicken salad. Those are really hard to turn down. The thing is, my two coworkers who are always complaining about their weight NEVER bring breakfast or lunch, for themselves, unless they bring enough for everyone. Maybe they have a rotation worked out, I don't know. But I can't leave my house in the morning without knowing what I'm going to eat, because I don't want to get stuck eating pizza from the cafeteria, so I bring lunch, and then they come in with enchiladas and pasta salad and who knows what all, and think I'm being a stinker for not eating any. Everything revolves around food here, and I'm just not that good.

So maybe life isn't all about me and my plans? could that be?

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 29 May, 2015 10:48 am

I'm really feeling down this morning. First, my computer wouldn't wake up when I got to work. I crawled around under my desk, trying to plug things in better, but couldn't find anything wrong. While I was down there, I found an M&M and an almond, but I also found many dust bunnies and cobwebs, so that didn't do me any good. So we had to call Tech to come out. He fixed it, and said it was the electrical connection that was loose (I had checked, and there were lights on the monitor and the tower, so I didn't think it was electrical, but whatever) so it was an easy fix, but I felt a little dumb. Then I had to go pick up a cockroach off the floor in the restroom. It was, honestly, an inch and a half long, not counting its feelers. (Not in my job description, but everyone else is too squeamish to do it, and the custodian was busy.) Then a mom called to yell at me because of a mixup yesterday. Long story, dad said he was here for his daughter's awards assembly, and I told him it's next Tuesday, so he went home. Turns out the teacher was giving a few awards in her class. I left a voice mail, apologizing, but mom said they didn't get no voice mail. I asked what I could do now, and she said she doesn't know, but her daughter was heartbroken and so she was heartbroken, too. Seriously, what can I do besides say I'm sorry? What I did was arrange for her to get another award Tuesday, even though she doesn't deserve any that are being awarded, so they can be here to see it. I hate making mistakes, although in this case it wasn't completely my fault that I didn't know.

Then I found out that I made a big mistake at the beginning of last school year. I enrolled twin boys in kinder, and on one form the mom had written that they speak Spanish in the home, which triggers language testing. On the other one she put all English. Apparently I entered the first one, thought "They're twins!" and just duplicated the information. Now, nearly two years later, the mom is realizing that her sons are stuck in the English Language Development program, because it's hard to score high enough to get out. I don't know if the State will even let her get the one out, although the one that says English only will have to be taken out, but that's a big problem. I hate making mistakes!

SDR

Postby SDR » Thu 23 Jul, 2015 05:08 pm

Already posted on Facebook to a "select" audience, but my gnashing of teeth relates to my youngest son, now 18, who has decided that he'd rather live with his mother in Wyoming to avoid the stress he feels living with us. Things like high school and having expectations and consequences. {le sigh}

The silver lining: I no longer pay him allowance or buy food or clothing or school expenses, so I'll have a bit more disposable income that I would have otherwise.

This all presumes he doesn't change his mind by the end of the month, since I'm giving him until then to come to his senses.

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Sun 26 Jul, 2015 04:20 am

My gnashing teeth involves my teeth. Literally.

Ehlers Danlos Syndrome is known to mess with our teeth. When I was young, I had cavities all the time. Then, between 16 and 40something, I had none - no idea why. Then four years ago, I started getting cavities again.

I saw a dentist a month ago. Long story short, that first appointment, he managed to take an xray and did one temporary filling - temporary while he had to research the materials for his permanent fillings because I'm severely allergic to fluoride, so can't have any fluoride used in any filling material, never mind polishes, toothpaste, dental treatments, water, and so on. Second appointment, he did a pretty ruthless cleaning. Third appointment, he managed one permanent filling. I started with 15 cavities, and he would only give one appointment a week, at most, and only an hour and a half at a time. Why one filling took an hour and a half, I don't know. Then he took two weeks off for his son's wedding. So a month later, and I've had one permanent filling.

I went to another dentist, and she fairly quickly assessed how much work was involved, and said she'd have to look into the filling materials to find out what had fluoride and what didn't. Happy day, she ordered material - just for me, mind you - from India because she couldn't find anything local that didn't have fluoride in it. She did one tooth last night so we could see how I react to it - I have a LOT of allergies, and frankly, I agree with her waiting time to assess things. Tomorrow I go see her again for a bunch more fillings.

The only problem with the new dentist so far is that she doesn't automatically use local anaesthetic. And my teeth hurt when they're filled. Only local anaesthetics don't exactly work on me anyway, so is there really a difference? The local anaesthetic not working? That's also due to Ehlers Danlos Syndrome. Because, hey, why not make things really hurt?

But at least the new dentist will be able to do the fillings sooner than six months (theoretically - knock on wood), so that's a huge plus.
There's no better form of government than a dictatorship when you're the dictator.
-Fahim Farook

Walking the World
Me on Instagram
Me on Twitter
Me on Google+
Me on Facebook

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Sun 26 Jul, 2015 10:46 am

I had forgotten that anesthetics don't work on you anyway, quid. I guess for very small fillings, maybe it wouldn't be necessary, but once they have to drill into the tooth and hit the nerve, I'm out of there. That's good that you can get more than one done at a time, though. That's so weird that you didn't have any for so many years.
I had a cleaning the other day, got complimented on my gums, but I have a cavity under a crown. The crown is 11 years old, so they're going to replace it after repairing the cavity. I am not happy about that. I seriously hate having my mouth open. I can't sleep with it open, and that's even why I don't talk much; I just don't like to open my mouth. And I hate it when my tongue is dry, or the roof of my mouth, so all the time they're working in there I'm trying to position my tongue to protect the rest of my mouth, and sometimes it gets in the way. This time should be okay, since it's a bottom molar.

And SDR, I read about your deal on FB, too. I wonder if maybe, aside from rules and stuff, he just missed his mom and grandma? Or even missed his childhood, like we all do (up to a point) and got nostalgic? Whatever the reason, I know you'll miss him, and you'll worry about him, but all you can do is keep praying for him and reaching out however you can. Once these darn kids grow up, that's all any of us can do.

SDR

Postby SDR » Sun 26 Jul, 2015 11:59 am

Momma Snider wrote:And SDR, I read about your deal on FB, too. I wonder if maybe, aside from rules and stuff, he just missed his mom and grandma? Or even missed his childhood, like we all do (up to a point) and got nostalgic? Whatever the reason, I know you'll miss him, and you'll worry about him, but all you can do is keep praying for him and reaching out however you can. Once these darn kids grow up, that's all any of us can do.

I'll miss him, but he should have graduated this year (had he been on track from when he started kindergarten). Note that he was home schooled for two years and was two years behind when we got custody. He skipped 5th grade with us, and made up another 1/2 year through high school. Had he finished high school "on time" (as it were), he'd be at the age to be going off to college.

I can handle that he won't be here. The goal is to raise them and have them leave the nest. My disappointment / concern is his level of dependence. Ideally, you want them to go from being "dependent" on you to being "less dependent" to "independent" (eventually). Sadly, he's going into a "more dependent" environment. His mother and grandmother (mainly the latter) can "protect" him from all that nasty stress for a time, but eventually they won't be there to do so. And because they've "protected" him from it, he won't have learned to deal with it appropriately. Or so I think in a worst case scenario way.

The good news is that he is definitely better off from the last six years. Hopefully it was enough. {knock on wood}

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Sun 26 Jul, 2015 11:30 pm

A cavity under a crown? That sounds... particularly difficult to get. Ouchies. :(
There's no better form of government than a dictatorship when you're the dictator.
-Fahim Farook

Walking the World
Me on Instagram
Me on Twitter
Me on Google+
Me on Facebook

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 13 Aug, 2015 03:31 pm

Boy, do I have some complaining to do, even though I don't have time! At this time of year, the sun beats down (mercilessly) on the cars in the parking lot, and my desk faces right out the glass doors, and the glare off the cars is blinding. I really don't know what to do about it. It's much worse since I started wearing contacts, but I don't remember it being this bad last year. It feels like my left eye is an ant under a magnifying glass, starting to smoke and about to burst into flames.

SDR

Postby SDR » Thu 13 Aug, 2015 11:33 pm

Stanley is back. Hopefully he will stay until he's finished with HS. {knock on wood harder}

Edit: Added missing word so me not sound like caveman.
Last edited by SDR on Fri 14 Aug, 2015 09:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 14 Aug, 2015 08:50 am

My eyes bothered me way into the evening and even when I was trying to fall asleep last night. Today I didn't wear my contacts, to see if that helps, and a gray truck is parked where the worst of the glare came from yesterday from a white car, so maybe it will be better. If not, I don't know what I will do.

bCurt

Postby bCurt » Mon 17 Aug, 2015 02:31 am

Just popping in.

St. George, Utah is out for me because it's about the same during the day as it is here, but it can still be 95 degrees at midnight, and I just can't stand to not be able to get cool.

Yes, St. George is hot. If it weren't for mountains nearby to escape to, I don't know if I could survive. I miss Texas weather - the thunderstorms and cooler summers. The winters were colder but not as bad as the Wasatch Front. The kids miss the snow storms we would get a couple times during the winter so we have to drive to the snow at least once a winter. I think I might be more home in Cedar City but my wife wouldn't enjoy the cooler temperatures. My grandparents liked different climates - my grandfather was into the heat and my grandmother was into mountain climates. Their climate compromise - Hawaii. They never moved there (they lived in Norwalk, California) but went at least once a year.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 17 Aug, 2015 10:04 am

My husband had the opportunity to move to Hawaii two years ago. He'd been working there one week every month for about five years, and everyone felt the time had come where they needed someone there full-time, so he was first choice. But I wouldn't leave my kids or my grandkids, especially the one we see every other weekend and who really needs our influence in her life, and neither would he, when it came down to it. They would have had to pay him a whole lot more, too, to make up for my not having a job and the cost of living, not to mention the cost of my having to fly back to see my kids and grandkids, or fly them all there a few times a year. I don't really like flying that much, either, especially not a 5 1/2 hour flight like that.

So no Hawaii for me. And no St. George. I think I could do midway between St. George and Cedar City somewhere, because I really like both places at the appropriate times of year. But hey, we got snow here on New Year's Eve this past winter! And it only gets up to 108, like it was this past weekend, a few days every summer, and it still cools off into the low 70s at night, even then. So here I'll stay.

Jersey Girl

Postby Jersey Girl » Tue 18 Aug, 2015 08:33 pm

Yeah California has kind of the perfect climate. I would stay there but I would miss the fall, and my family is really into the East Coast. I just wish it wasn't so expensive in California either but I guess that depends on where you live from what I hear. I think I found heaven in Monterey and La Jolla. Although Hawaii was super nice when I went there once.
"Chicken legs were moved, roads were crossed, motives were questioned."--EFB

bCurt

Postby bCurt » Tue 18 Aug, 2015 11:58 pm

Hawaii is expensive and isolated. I definitely agree there. We've been to La Jolla and the San Diego area a few times since moving to St. George. Not a bad climate there. It is nice not to bake so much in the heat on the beach as we did going to Padre Island in Texas. Still, I prefer seasons. Not exteeme seasons, mind you, but at least some temperature variance.

We still have some time before having kids leave the nest. Our oldest is 19 and is thunking about a mission soon. We'll see how adventurous they are as they go.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 19 Aug, 2015 09:00 am

San Diego is beautiful and practically perfect, if you get close enough to the coast. (I know, if you live a thousand miles away, it seems like the whole place is on the coast, but some parts get nearly as hot as we do.) Lake Elsinore is halfway between San Diego and Los Angeles, about 30 miles inland. On the very rare occasions that I do get to experience real fall and real winter, I wish we had more of them, especially fall. Winter is fine the way it is, really, although I'd like snow once or twice a year instead of once or twice a decade. Our leaves do change colors, but we don't have the kinds that go all beautiful, and the funny thing to me every year is that they start changing while it's still really hot, because they're actually responding to the change in light rather than temperature. (Did you know that? I didn't until I was an adult! In school we learned that when it gets cold, the leaves change colors, and I always wondered how ours changed, since it never really got cold until Thanksgiving. Textbooks were written in the northeast.)

Anyway, La Jolla is the best of San Diego, and it's only an hour from me, so you should all move there.
Last edited by Momma Snider on Thu 20 Aug, 2015 09:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SDR

Postby SDR » Wed 19 Aug, 2015 10:38 am

I don't think I have ever known that tidbit. Thanks!

Jersey Girl

Postby Jersey Girl » Thu 20 Aug, 2015 07:10 pm

I never knew that about the leaves either. They sometimes turn here in the summer when we don't have enough rain.

My friend in San Diego took me to her hometown in the Imperial Valley and it was very different from San Diego. We saw Elder Nelson speak to the youth in some place in the East County or northern San Diego County area. I felt like I had the whole SoCal tour. She took me to LA since I've never been to LA. We were stuck in traffic through most of it. I thought the traffic in DC was bad. When I was in Encinitas, I think I also fell in love. It seems like a lovely place to live and a great lifestyle. If I had I a bad day, I'd just drive to the ocean. Here I just eat ice cream. I could live without winter. I had a friend that lived in Redwood City and they bragged on the town sign they had the most perfect climate in the US.

I am sad I didn't think to ask to visit you in Lake Elsinore. I know I'll come back again some day. California is off the grid for a little bit since I have friends who keep moving in and out of there. They all end up in Utah. I guess the cheap standard of living attracts all of them back there. I'm not a fan of Utah culture, but I noticed the change when I was there back in May. Salt Lake and Provo are starting to get a little Portland feel to them. The hipsters are starting to take over :).
"Chicken legs were moved, roads were crossed, motives were questioned."--EFB

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 23 Oct, 2015 08:49 am

My daughter has to have her gall bladder removed. She went in because of severe back pain, and they did xrays which showed an abnormality, so they did an ultrasound, which showed the gallstones. Once she knew she had them, she realized she's been having those symptoms for a long time, too, masked by the back pain, partly. The surgeon doesn't actually believe the back pain is related to the gallstones, but because she has them, she needs the surgery. So she's scheduled for November 6, and I'm taking the day off to take her and stay with her and stuff (it's outpatient surgery) and she'll take two weeks off work. BUT she found out the other day that her portion of the cost will be $5800! That's with Kaiser insurance! Who can afford that? Not her! I guess they'll take payments. Forever. And, come to think of it, when Rocky and I were her age, 32, we had doctor bills to pay every month, because we had six kids and no insurance at all. So I guess being single and childless (and living with your parents) is a blessing in disguise.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 19 Apr, 2016 10:42 am

I should have un-whined this. Joy had her gallbladder removed as scheduled, and it didn't help, as the doctor predicted, but I guess it needed to come out. And she applied for some kind of financial aid from Kaiser, and they not only didn't charge her the whole $5800 they had predicted, they refunded the $1000 she had already paid the day of surgery! That was a happy thing!

Return to “Main Forum”