A New Thread For Whining and General Gnashing of Teeth

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

steelem

A New Thread For Whining and General Gnashing of Teeth

Postby steelem » Tue 03 Jul, 2007 05:35 pm

I am so sick of being in Arizona. Emma does not have preschool and she and Lucy are at each other's throats like rabid dogs. Lucy actually bled today. It is too hot to play outside, my husband is working late hours and on the freakin' 4th of July, and I just want to be left alone.

At least I'm going to my parents' house in far more temperate New Mexico on Monday, but will my kids live until then?

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Tue 03 Jul, 2007 06:40 pm

Oh yeah. They will. Kids are maddeningly resilient and determined. Now, whether YOU survive until then is another matter. Hang in there, Mommy. Turn the garden hose on 'em if necessary.
Here's a fun diversion: turn on The Weather Channel, right now, and be glad you don't live in Kansas, Oklahoma, or Colorado.
Dry Arizona heat looks pretty bearable next to those messes. Ugh.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 03 Jul, 2007 09:19 pm

Apparently it's pretty hot all over the west right now. But I do remember only too well how the heat brought out the worst in family life.

RenLass

Postby RenLass » Wed 04 Jul, 2007 12:25 am

My sympathy to you, Steelem.

My Whine - I counted over thirty six bug bites on one ankle alone! I have more bites on the other ankle and legs and arms as well. We were clearing trees on our new property and my girls had taken all the bug spray with them to girls camp so I was just trusting to long pants and swatting to protect me. I now have over 75 bites on me in various places and they ITCH!!!!!.
It doesn't help that I can't stop scratching them, even in my sleep, which spreads the venom and makes me itch more! Calamine doesn't help, neither does hydrocortizone or Benedryl. Ice deadens it briefly until I warm up again. I'm off now to try rubbing alcohol. I also hear raw onions help - but I will wait till I'm desperate for that one.
When the devil reminds you of your past,
remind him of his future

DrChumley

Postby DrChumley » Wed 04 Jul, 2007 01:52 am

I'm thoroughly peeved at my company right now (along with most other major American corporations) who refuse to hire 80% of the people who actually work for the company, instead opting to hire them as "vendors" through outside companies. This they do to prevent having to pay for benefits such as health insurance and retirement. I'm nearly 30 years old and haven't been able to afford health insurance since I was on my parent's plan.

To top it off, I'm suffering with Bronchitis for the third time in five months, and I can't afford to go to the doctor or get medication because a) I'm not a full-time employee so I don't qualify for benefits, and b) everything in Seattle is 4X more expensive than it was when I was living in Utah.

Also, it's hotter than crotch in my apartment because no apartments in the greater Seattle area actually have air conditioning.

To quote Ron Weasley again: "I hate being poor."
Some people are like slinkies: They don't really serve a purpose, but it still brings a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
<a href="http://blog.mattarmstrongmusic.com">Shameless Blog Plug Here!</a>

Audrey

Postby Audrey » Wed 04 Jul, 2007 09:59 am

I HATE HAVING TO WRITE A MASTER'S THESIS WHEN IT IS BEAUTIFUL OUTSIDE AND THERE IS FUN STUFF GOING ON, AND THIS IS NOTHING MORE THAN A FIVE-CHAPTER EXERCISE IN JUMPING THROUGH HOOPS, AND IT'S NEVER GOING TO BE ANYTHING BUT A DUST-CATCHER ON THE LIBRARY STACKS ANYWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whew. That felt good.
If you smile at me I will understand, 'cause that is something everybody everywhere does in the same language.

Audrey

Postby Audrey » Wed 04 Jul, 2007 10:00 am

DrChumley wrote:hotter than crotch

:lol:
If you smile at me I will understand, 'cause that is something everybody everywhere does in the same language.

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Wed 04 Jul, 2007 11:17 am

DrChumley wrote:it's hotter than crotch

I hope I remember to use this one and that it's not when I'm speaking at the pulpit.
www.NewMoneyMama.com

EricDSnider

Postby EricDSnider » Wed 04 Jul, 2007 12:38 pm

DrChumley wrote:To top it off, I'm suffering with Bronchitis for the third time in five months, and I can't afford to go to the doctor or get medication because a) I'm not a full-time employee so I don't qualify for benefits, and b) everything in Seattle is 4X more expensive than it was when I was living in Utah.

Check out some of the comments people have posted on my <a href="http://www.ericdsnider.com/movies/sicko">"Sicko"</a> review (#46 and #51, for example). You'll find that in many cases, not having health insurance is your own fault, and if you're poor, that's probably your own fault too, and you're probably wasting money on frivolous items that you could be spending in health insurance. SO THERE.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 04 Jul, 2007 01:08 pm

Yeah, it's so easy for someone who has enough money to be smug about it. I don't know if it's because they've always had things easy, and don't know what it's like to do your best and still struggle, or if they've just forgotten, but that attitude ticks me off.

And RenLass, I hope the alcohol worked. The other thing you can do with itchy mosquito bites (I don't know if it works for other kinds of bites, but I assume it would) is burn them. You light a match, blow it out, and put it immediately on the bite. You have to keep taking it off, just dabbing it on for as long as you can stand it, until the match cools off. It leaves a little burn sometimes, but I personally would rather have a little owie than an itchy bite.

I don't know how well that would work with as many bites as you have, though.

karinka

Postby karinka » Wed 04 Jul, 2007 01:16 pm

Ren, sometimes when I have a lot of bites concentrated in one area, I soak it or spray it for a few minutes with the HOTTEST water I can stand whenever the itch gets unbearable. It does the "scratching" for me without the extra damage to my skin and it deadens it for a while.
"The question is 'Is she hot' not 'Would you do her'. Respect the game."

skye72

Postby skye72 » Wed 04 Jul, 2007 02:28 pm

Also, it's hotter than crotch in my apartment because no apartments in the greater Seattle area actually have air conditioning.

As a native Washingtonian, I can totally sympathize. Window air conditioners are pretty great for those occasional hot days. You can usually pick them up for under $100 at Walmart.

And I get to share in your suffering as I'm leaving my nice air conditioned apartment for Tacoma in a few days, and I'm already dreading having to spend the next few weeks in my sister's un-air conditioned house. Bring on the sweat!

jensendude

Postby jensendude » Wed 04 Jul, 2007 02:57 pm

You know I don't mind this hot weather, I have always found that it's eaiser to get yourself feeling cooler than it is to get warmer when it's cold outside.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 04 Jul, 2007 03:06 pm

Yeah, I'd rather be too hot than too cold, but I prefer somewhere in the middle.

It's pretty hot here in Eagle Mountain right now, but very comfortable in the house. But my whine for today is that when I work outside or in the basement (weeding and painting, respectively) I sweat so much that it drips in my eyes, and it stings my eyelids where I have stitches. Also, my ankles and feet, knees, hips, and hands hurt really bad today, probably from the unusual physical activity they're getting, and Aleve helps a little, but gives me a stomach ache.

Good thing I have something to complain about, though!

karinka

Postby karinka » Wed 04 Jul, 2007 05:56 pm

I would much rather be cold than hot. I HATE sweating, and I sweat a lot when I get going. HATE! SWEATING! I was visiting my friend, Spam, in Mississippi last weekend, and she likes to turn the air conditioning off at night for whatever crazy reason. So when I woke up in the morning, my clothes were soaked through, and I felt so absolutely disgusting. It took a good, long cold shower to wash that icky feeling off. I freakin' HATE SWEATING! GOT IT?! I will forego health insurance before air conditioning ever in my life.
"The question is 'Is she hot' not 'Would you do her'. Respect the game."

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Wed 04 Jul, 2007 08:33 pm

I've lived through 10 AZ summers now (not consecutively, thank goodness) and I can say for certain that I would rather be cold than hot. There's a limit to how much clothing you can remove, for modesty's sake. And A/C, no matter where I live, will always be a necessity.

Can you tell we've been living under an excessive heat warning for nearly a week? [/cabin fever]
You're unique, just like everyone else!

RenLass

Postby RenLass » Thu 05 Jul, 2007 01:00 am

I'm with you, Lady! I would much rather be cold than hot. Layer on the clothes, snuggle by a nice warm fire, cupping a hot cup of cocoa - yes!

The alternative, being hot, hot, hot, and sweating so much the sweat drips in your eyes and makes them sting, your undergarments sticking to you, taking cold showers just to survive and then having to get out into the heat again just to start sweating all over again - not! Even a swimming pool isn't always helpful when it is so hot, because I get terrible sunburns.

And Momma, the alcohol has been helping the bug bites. (If you get drunk enough you don't feel a thing! j.k.!)

We were out at the property clearing more trees this last weekend and found a nest of spiders that the neighbor calls Daddy-long-legs, but they don't look like any Daddy-long-legs that we had in California! They have bigger bodies, and all their knees have white dots on them, and they hang out in a mob. And I mean a mob! The first time I saw them I thought it was a bunch of moss on the tree. But when we got closer it turned out to be about 30 spiders all hanging around on top of each other! Well, this time we found a nest of them under a turned up tree and I swear there must have been at least two hundred of them!

Both scary and fascinating at the same time. And then when I sprayed them with spider Raid, they went running away in a fanned out way which means many of them were running right towards me. Fun, fun. We also saw a scorpion that day and another spider that was about three inches across, including legs. If I wasn't so disgusted by spiders I would have found him fascinating to watch because he was really quite beautiful.

So my whine for today is "why does nature have to have so many bugs in it?!" I love my treed lot, with the deer wandering around, but I hate the bugs.
When the devil reminds you of your past,

remind him of his future

steelem

Postby steelem » Thu 05 Jul, 2007 08:35 am

Wow. I'd need to be tranquilized and hooked up with an awesome therapist after that experience, Ren.

Oh my gosh.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Thu 05 Jul, 2007 11:13 am

Ditto what steelem said. Yuck!
You're unique, just like everyone else!

The Don

Postby The Don » Thu 05 Jul, 2007 11:34 am

EricDSnider wrote:Check out some of the comments people have posted on my <a href="http://www.ericdsnider.com/movies/sicko">"Sicko"</a> review (#46 and #51, for example). You'll find that in many cases, not having health insurance is your own fault, and if you're poor, that's probably your own fault too, and you're probably wasting money on frivolous items that you could be spending in health insurance. SO THERE.

ericdsnider.com is redirecting to an entirely different webpage all in Spanish right now. Which means I can't go and read the comments! WHINE!
I like traffic lights.

Return to “Main Forum”