Curiously inappropriate things seen at work

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

robcan2

Curiously inappropriate things seen at work

Postby robcan2 » Thu 02 Aug, 2007 01:57 pm

Similar to the one in the religion forum, I thought this topic would be fun.

We sometimes have bagels and doughnuts brought in for the employees. There's this one employee who will almost always take one of the bagle boxes, fill it up with an assortment of bagels and doughnuts and take it home with him. Although he has been repeatedly asked to stop, this seems to only have caused him to try (badly) to do it on the sly. This same guy will often nominate himself for peer recognition awards.

Just yesterday, a supervisor was sleeping on the couch in the front lobby of our building. Which, I suppose, is better than the time there was a couple making out on it.

So, what whacky goings on happen at your office?

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Thu 02 Aug, 2007 02:44 pm

I had to think awhile because my employer is pretty much excruciatingly normal.

Usually.

There was that one time when we had a new field sales training group at headquarters for training. The soon to be Miami rep was a lovely young lady who had recently moved to the US from Brazil. There was a hot tub in the nearby hotel that was occupied by several of the other new hires in swimsuits. Miss Brazil arrived on the scene in her robe, proceeded to drop it and stepped into the hot tub. Naked.

Among others already in the tub was the soon to be Salt Lake City rep, a handsome young man who had recently returned from a mission in South America. He later told me that he had survived his entire mission not seeing anything like that only to be flashed at a very public hot tub in a major hotel.

Fortunately for him the other women in the group explained rather loudly that such a thing was not normally done in public in this country. They even apologized to the young Utah man once the other lady was gone. Miss Brazil ended up working for us for about two years. Mr. Utah is still with us.
WiseNLucky

Horizontally gifted since . . . .

Lowdoggy Dogg

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Fri 03 Aug, 2007 08:19 am

I was at a conference and it was quite obvious that one of the attendees brought a hired date the fancy conference-ending dinner. She was effusive in her affection. I was embarrassed for them, but also for my wife and I.

I guess I don't have proof, and maybe I was wrong, but I put a lot of stock in intuition. I have had a good piles of experiences with it.

robcan2

Postby robcan2 » Fri 03 Aug, 2007 10:31 am

Lowdoggy Dogg wrote:I guess I don't have proof, and maybe I was wrong, but I put a lot of stock in intuition. I have had a good piles of experiences with it.

Good piles of experiences with intuition, or with hired dates? :D

Working in HR for a number of years, whenever something crazy would happen I'd think that nothing would top it. Then, someone would go and do something even more stupid. Now whenever something crazy happens I just wonder how long it will be until the next thing.

Just today we caught a guy committing sales fraud. He was really stupid about it, too (we record all phone calls). Luckily, it only adversely impacted the company, not the customers. A while ago, this same guy thought he could get out of having child support garnished by deferring a large percentage of his income into his 401(k). He was quite surprised when he found that they just garnished the same amount. Now I just feel bad that his kids probably won't see any more child support from him until he gets a new job.

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Fri 03 Aug, 2007 11:24 am

We had a temp here at my office a few months ago who was a little "off." I shall call her Deborah. The very first time I saw her, my Spidey Sense started tingling, and I knew she was scary and at least a little crazy. Man, was that just the tip of the iceberg. Deborah was an older lady compared to most of the women in my office, probably in her mid- to late-fifties. She was also black, and thus thought that immediately made her good friends with my coworker who is also a black woman. My coworker was not a fan of this woman, but tolerated her unwanted daily chat and gossip sessions.

Well, Deborah decided that she wanted to be a permanent employee, even though the position she was filling was never meant to be anything other than a temporary one. When her supervisor informed her of this fact, Deborah claimed the decision was racially based. She then began trying to spread rumors about people in the office, and about herself. One in particular that sticks out in my mind was when Deborah told my more-annoyed-by-the-day coworker that there was a rumor going around that she (Deborah, not my coworker) was having an affair with a very respected and much higher-up manager at the office. This manager has a wife, seven kids, is a volunteer pastor at his church, and is at least 20 years younger than her. He is also black, which my coworker suspects is the entire reason that Deborah chose to try to start this rumor about herself and him.

A couple of weeks later, Deborah started having shouting matches with her supervisor who still wouldn't budge on the very temporary nature of her position. In fact, it was getting more and more temporary every day. One of these arguments ended with Deborah storming off toward the main entrance of the office and tripping on the way, ending with her falling to the floor. I am not sure if she was trying to make some sort of case to sue for injury while on the job or what, but that was her last day here.

I still don't know why her supervisor didn't tell her not to come back WAY sooner. It was entertaining, in a way, but really crazy and scary in many other ways.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

Lowdoggy Dogg

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Fri 03 Aug, 2007 02:21 pm

robcan2 wrote:
Lowdoggy Dogg wrote:I guess I don't have proof, and maybe I was wrong, but I put a lot of stock in intuition. I have had a good piles of experiences with it.

Good piles of experiences with intuition, or with hired dates? :D

Isn't it obvious?

Matt

Postby Matt » Fri 03 Aug, 2007 08:33 pm

On "layoff day" a few years ago, one of the receptionists was walking around the building noting which of the unlucky few were present. As she turned the corner at the cubicle of one of these fellows she found him... well... engaging in an inappropriate activity with himself. :shock:

He was located in a out-of-the-way section of the building and it was kind of early in the morning, so I guess it was reasonable to assume that no one would be coming by, but geez.
goto 10

pizzocalabro

Postby pizzocalabro » Sat 04 Aug, 2007 07:59 am

Matt wrote:On "layoff day" a few years ago, one of the receptionists was walking around the building noting which of the unlucky few were present. As she turned the corner at the cubicle of one of these fellows she found him... well... engaging in an inappropriate activity with himself. :shock:

I hope this made the management team realize how wrong they were to fire him. :P

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Sat 04 Aug, 2007 10:49 am

Poor guy. I bet he was in such a rush that morning to get out the door that he didn't have time for breakfast either.
www.NewMoneyMama.com

Sarah

Postby Sarah » Sat 04 Aug, 2007 05:55 pm

Aw man, working for many years as a lifeguard has given me a lifetime of inappropriate things seen at work: The patron known as Man Thong. Hygiene-impaired girls popping out of their ill-fitting suits while swimming backstroke. WAY too many women who apparently don't have best friends to tell them that wearing a bikini is not a good choice for you, honey. People who think that a public pool is the perfect place to heavily make out. The hysterically dumb questions you get asked. The parents that try to (unintentionally, I suppose) drown their children. And so on and so forth.
"I don't want to say a word against brains--I've a great respect for brains--I often wish I had some myself..."
- Lord Mountararat, Iolanthe

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Sun 05 Aug, 2007 03:46 pm

Sarah wrote:The parents that try to (unintentionally, I suppose) drown their children.

Ha! Just last week I went swimming with brother-in-law, his wife and their one-year-old girl. At one point, BIL was talking about some sissy ways he had seen girls go under water when he decided to demonstrate one and suddenly went underwater.... forgetting he was holding his baby girl in one arm. He popped up about two seconds later and Niece was absolutely frantic, shaking about, and desperately gasping for air. I yelled out to him that he took his baby under. He looked blankly at me, then looked at his baby on his arm and said "Oops. I forgot" as he handed Niece to her mother for comfort. Then, I couldn't breathe due to my laughing.

In the same weekend, this same BIL also conked her head while carrying her through a doorway, burned her tongue with too-hot food, and pinched her fingers on a toy desk. Aaahh... the entertainment a young first-time father provides!
www.NewMoneyMama.com

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Mon 06 Aug, 2007 09:16 am

ImAdhis wrote:
Sarah wrote:The parents that try to (unintentionally, I suppose) drown their children.

Ha! Just last week I went swimming with brother-in-law, his wife and their one-year-old girl. At one point, BIL was talking about some sissy ways he had seen girls go under water when he decided to demonstrate one and suddenly went underwater.... forgetting he was holding his baby girl in one arm. He popped up about two seconds later and Niece was absolutely frantic, shaking about, and desperately gasping for air. I yelled out to him that he took his baby under. He looked blankly at me, then looked at his baby on his arm and said "Oops. I forgot" as he handed Niece to her mother for comfort. Then, I couldn't breathe due to my laughing.

In the same weekend, this same BIL also conked her head while carrying her through a doorway, burned her tongue with too-hot food, and pinched her fingers on a toy desk. Aaahh... the entertainment a young first-time father provides!

Speaking as a young first-time father with an almost-three-month-old, I must protest against being grouped in the same category with your BIL. There is a difference between being inexperienced at something, and being a total klutz. It sounds like your BIL is a klutz who doesn't really think about what he does before he does it -- especially where his baby is concerned. Hopefully the kid will stronger as the result of the father-provided adversity. :-)
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

Binky

Postby Binky » Tue 07 Aug, 2007 08:42 am

So far at work today I have seen:

Three (3) rabbits
One (1) brace of quail
One (1) desolated (he was trapped) scorpion
One (1) sinewy, whippity fella with spectacular dreadlocks
One (1) fella called Monty driving a golf cart and wearing short-shorts

And it all seems sorta inappropriate to me. Mainly because I feel it inappropriate for me to actually BE at work today, so anything I see here is wrong. The appropriate place for me today would be snoozing in bed. Or on top of a pile of money (very appropriate). Soft, pillowy cash!

robcan2

Postby robcan2 » Tue 07 Aug, 2007 08:54 am

Binky wrote:One (1) brace of quail

Does that mean a pair of quail? The only other time I've seen the word "brace" used like that was in Treasure Island where it described the kid with a brace of pistols. I was informed that it meant a pair, and I was certain I would never hear the term used in real life. I guess it just goes to show you....something.

Where do you work, Binky? You've probably said it before on here, but I obviously wasn't paying attention. Is it common to use the word "brace" when referring to animals in pairs, or just birds, or....?

Karenins_SuperSon

Postby Karenins_SuperSon » Tue 07 Aug, 2007 09:09 am

I work inside a government installation where everyday is curiously inappropriate.

TVGM (Abby) is probably the only other one that knows the pains of dealing with this particular government institution and the aggravation of not being able to air the dirty laundry of each day.

But the trolls and wall-talkers that work here are enough to frighten anyone. Lest you think it was just Missouri, when I visited the D.C. area, it was as if they breed these mutant-people for employ at this institution, whether for D.C. or St. Louis.

Oh well.
Her lips were saying "no," but her eyes were saying, "read my lips."---Dr. Niles Crane

Binky

Postby Binky » Tue 07 Aug, 2007 09:50 am

robcan2 wrote:Where do you work, Binky? You've probably said it before on here, but I obviously wasn't paying attention. Is it common to use the word "brace" when referring to animals in pairs, or just birds, or....?

Brace=2, and is often used for the sort of birds you hunt, like pheasant or quail or buzzard (weak ha-ha). I work at a good-sized and somewhat fancy-schmancy resort/destination spa. My particular department is where the "cool kids" work. We do rock climbing, kayaking and all sorts of outdoorsy folderol. However, lest you think me one of the cool kids, I'm mostly just a paper pusher/arranger for the above. But this place is beset by wildlife...and before here I worked for the NPS as a park ranger which also involved lots o' rabbits, voles, and other such vermin.

And SuperSon, I also have worked for our nation's government. In the Judicial Branch. I spent many aggravating years in the court system, so I know of the EVIL of which you speak. My co-workers there were probably the meanest, orneriest, nosiest people I've ever worked with. It was like a whole corps of Patties and Selmas without the charm.

Karenins_SuperSon

Postby Karenins_SuperSon » Tue 07 Aug, 2007 10:12 am

And minus Patty and Selma's dashing good looks.
Her lips were saying "no," but her eyes were saying, "read my lips."---Dr. Niles Crane

Binky

Postby Binky » Tue 07 Aug, 2007 10:19 am

And their high style.

Binky

Postby Binky » Sat 22 Sep, 2007 08:13 am

This is what I saw at work this morning: (taken with my cell phone camera which is why they're so terrible):

Inappropriate? Never! Awesome? You know it!

Huzzak

Postby Huzzak » Sat 22 Sep, 2007 01:17 pm

Sarah wrote:The hysterically dumb questions you get asked.

Please elaborate. Please.

Return to “Main Forum”