Curiously inappropriate things seen at work

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

Momma Snider

Re: Curiously inappropriate things seen at work

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 06 Jun, 2011 09:35 am

Inappropriate at work today: my presence. We were out all last week on furlough days, and I really got out of the mood...

KMD

Postby KMD » Sat 16 Jul, 2011 08:02 pm

I had 2 of these happen this week in the new job! That has got to be a record for me, and does not bode so well for this new job!

The first one, 4 of us were in a conference room, with an HR person, filling out all our paperwork. We've all been working with each other for 3 years already, sp we already know each other well, but I think one of us got way too comfortable. As HR woman is going through the papers, he started making really inappropriate comments. Like she was going through the privacy stuff, telling us essentially that we have none, and not to go to any non-work related websites, like ebay or amazon, and he pipes up with "Does that mean I can't go to HotLatinChicks.com anymore?" And they had a good laugh. Later she started talking about disability things, and that if there was anything we need at our desks to help us do our job, just let our manager know. And he jumps in again with "Yes, I really need a hot young woman in my cube to help me do my job!" Considering this person IS disabled, and does occasionally need some assistance, it just amazed me that he made light of it.

And then, Friday, I'm at my desk working, and I begin to clearly overhear the only other female on the team, on her phone making a personal phone call. To her doctor's office. Her side of the conversation went a little like this "Yes, I need to reschedule my appointment. No, I don't know if Aug. 13th will be OK. See, I'm having my monthly visitor right now, and that is exactly a month away from today, so I'll probably be getting my monthly visitor then as well. " Nice.
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Sat 16 Jul, 2011 11:25 pm

That's funny! Some people just don't understand appropriate.

I met my new boss the other day. He looks just like the one we got rid of five years ago, the one who made life miserable for two years, but I hope it's just his appearance. And if he turns out just as bad, well, I can outlast him, too.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 07 Oct, 2011 01:32 pm

To follow up on the last post, I like my new principal. He still reminds me of the other one, but only in looks. I also fouind out that he's the same age as my oldest son, so I feel more motherly towards him. And he's gradually learning that I am Wonder Woman as far as my job goes, so I like him.

But how's this for inappropriate? There is an aide with a very loud voice, and she brought a kid in who had wet his pants. He didn't want us to call his mom because she will get mad. So the aide was explaining, very loudly, that it could happen to anyone. "I pee my pants if I laugh!" she yelled. "You might not have even peed in your pants, your "thing" might have just flipped up when you were sitting on the toilet and splashed on your pants!"

She was 30 feet away from me, around a corner and in another room, but I heard her, as did anyone and everyone who came into the front office at the time.

KMD

Postby KMD » Fri 07 Oct, 2011 01:49 pm

OK, so I'm realizing that there's a lot of inappropriateness in my office, but it's all kind of OK because we're all becoming friends and being inappropriate together. The guy who is my new backup, and whose cube is across from mine is a great guy, but boy do we say some inappropriate stuff! He has nicknamed the other woman on our team "loser" (they have been friends for like over 10 years) she is 100% OK with being called "loser". At first it really upset me, but she gives him a hard time too, so it's OK. She is from another country, and sometimes has some difficulties with the language. Apparently years ago there was a big work group that all went to dinner together to a fish place, there were hushpuppies on the table in front of this VP. She didn't know what they were called, so she asked this friend "Hey, what do you call those ball things?"and he said "Gonads?" and so she leaned across to the VP and asked "Can I please eat your gonads?" Yeah, he won't let her forget that one.

And he also keeps a big, Sam's Club box of gumballs, like you would put inside a machine, in his cube for just anyone to come get some when they want. And now we all make comments when we do, along the lines of "Wow, Bill's balls are just the best!" "Oh, I have really been craving your sweet balls!", etc, you get the picture. I reached into the box the other day, and pulled out 2 that were stuck together, a pair! Oh, you can guess the jokes that were made then. "I always wanted my very own pair! Thanks!"

And then there's the fact that a lot of our location for compressor stations have really filthy sounding names, if your mind bends that way. Ramapo, Buff Lick, and Port Dick, just for a start.

Card

Postby Card » Fri 07 Oct, 2011 02:21 pm

Um, yeah, you definitely win for the most inappropriate. And now I can never eat another hushpuppy without thinking of this story. Thanks a lot. (insert vomit smily here)

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 17 Oct, 2011 07:09 pm

I've mentioned before how my coworker is pretty cranky and can be quite rude to students, parents, and staff. She's even spoken sharply to the principal at least twice. I spend a good part of my time acting as a buffer, and if I don't manage that, I field the complaints. Well, today the principal called me in to ask if she's doing any better compared to other years, since he doesn't really have a frame of reference, being new this year. Turns out he has had several written complaints lately from staff members.

I feel loyalty to her as a friend, and I know she's under a lot of stress because of her idiot son and his problems, but I couldn't lie about, since I also feel loyalty to the school and to my boss, so I told him how much it has been bothering me. I sure hope he is discreet when he talks to her, and I hope he can cut her some slack. But I also hope it helps.

Audrey

Postby Audrey » Tue 18 Oct, 2011 02:22 pm

Today I got a letter in my school mailbox with a return address of "Inmate Mail: State Dept of Corrections." Um, what???

It was from a former student who graduated a few years ago and is now, apparently, incarcerated. This young man sent me a letter entirely in Spanish, telling me about how he didn't know if I had heard that he was currently in prison, but he wanted me to know that he is using a lot of his free time there to improve his Spanish, and that he has a fellow inmate who is a native speaker and is tutoring him and helping him improve his conversational skills. And then he went on to thank me for how fun my classes were and how much he learned, and to tell me how he is really hoping to become fluent in the language by the time he is released from prison.

I was both unnerved by receiving inmate mail (especially from a kid I knew so well), and then really proud of him for using his time so wisely and, I hope, turning things around for himself. And then I wondered if I were an inmate, would I be sending chatty letters to my former teachers and outing myself as a state prisoner? And then I was strangely proud of him for not letting that stigma stop him. And now I'm wondering if it would be worse to write back (for my job's sake) or to not (for his sake).
If you smile at me I will understand, 'cause that is something everybody everywhere does in the same language.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 18 Oct, 2011 02:33 pm

Write back! I don't really see how it could affect your job, and it could make a big difference to the kid. That's good that he's spending some time learning something other than shiv making and gang banging in prison. And the fact that he wrote to you shows that you made a difference to him, and hopefully that will help him get back on the right track.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Tue 18 Oct, 2011 04:15 pm

I agree with Momma.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Card

Postby Card » Wed 19 Oct, 2011 02:30 pm

Same here. There really haven't been opportunities for me to visit those in prison, and although you won't actually be visiting him, writing him is certainly one way to accomplish visiting someone in prison, which, as we know from Matt 25, is a good thing. And I think it's appropriate. For all you know, you could really be the best example he's had in his life, and if I were in prison, I would still want people to write to me.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Wed 19 Oct, 2011 07:34 pm

What Momma said. I cannot say it any better.
You're unique, just like everyone else!

Audrey

Postby Audrey » Thu 20 Oct, 2011 08:04 am

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone. I do think it is the right thing to do to send this kid a letter. Some of my initial hesitancy came from the fact that his crime allegedly happened on school property. I showed the letter to my principal so he knows what's up and he didn't give me any indication that he was against me writing back, but you never know sometimes.

For instance, a couple of years ago I had a student who was also my neighbor, and when his mother's car died he asked if I could give him a ride to and from school while the car was in the shop. I gave my principal a heads up beforehand since the student was of the opposite sex, and was told not to do it, because "what if someone saw him in your car and got the wrong idea and started trouble?" It felt awful to be prohibited from doing the Christian, neighborly thing that felt right to me because someone might jump all over the opportunity to turn it into a pedophilia case. Booooooooooooo.

I want to be a good influence and a positive force in my kids' lives and provide them with a trustworthy adult that so many of them need, but it makes me so sad that these days you have to practically look over your shoulder so that nobody misinterprets your intentions and accuses you of misconduct. So I tend to err on the side of caution in my relationship with current and former students outside of the school day (sometimes maybe too much).
If you smile at me I will understand, 'cause that is something everybody everywhere does in the same language.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 20 Oct, 2011 10:31 am

It is so sad that you have to think that way, but it's necessary these days. People look for evil motives in the most innocent things. So it's good that you let the principal know the kid wrote to you.

I do hope he gets straightened out.

KMD

Postby KMD » Wed 07 Dec, 2011 09:21 am

More inappropriateness at my office, or maybe it's OK, and I was just a bit overly sensitive to it. You guys tell me, totally normal, or coworker is a freak, OK?

I was in the ladies room, there's only 3 ladies in my area, so it is not a very heavily trafficked spot. Anyway, I was washing my hands at the sink, and in walks one of the other female coworkers, and starts talking to me about a question about our systems, something she needed my help with. We stood there and talked it out, then she wanted to go to her desk to show me. And I'm like "OK, but don't you need to, you know, go?" and she was all "No, I knew you were in here, and I wanted to talk about this Now!" And it kind of creeped me out. It wasn't anything urgent, system down or something like that. It could have waited a few minutes for me to come back to my desk. But apparently she couldn't wait. Now it feels like she's monitoring my movements, like she knows when I get up if I'm going to a meeting, or to the snack machine, or to help a user at their desk, or going to the bathroom. Does she know when I need to go #1 over #2? Why does this creep me out so much?

Card

Postby Card » Wed 07 Dec, 2011 11:24 am

Because it's weird that she followed you into the bathroom to talk to you. It's not you, it's her.

But I don't think she's a stalker, just totally unaware of social protocol.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 07 Dec, 2011 12:06 pm

And at least you were only washing your hands. I hate when people start talking to me through the stall, and if they had followed me in there to do so, I would think it was really weird.

I remember doing that once when I first started working, though, so hopefully this woman is just clueless.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Wed 07 Dec, 2011 12:45 pm

From the flip side, I know where she's coming from, so it's possible *I* would creep you out, K! It may not be that she's monitoring you or keeping specific track of you--she probably just knows where everyone is in the office at any given time. I was like that with my college roommates--I didn't need to know exactly what they were doing, but I always knew WHERE they were, you know? I got nicknamed the Apartment Mom more than once.

Also, I have this complete inability to wait when I want to figure something out. If it's going to bug me, I'm going to take care of it NOW. My husband, on the other hand, likes to let his intentions percolate a bit before acting on them, so I drive him nuts. "Let's pick a color for the hallway" to me means "Saddle up! We're going to Home Depot this afternoon!" but to him means "Not this Saturday, maybe next Saturday after--why the heck are you pulling me up off the couch and handing me my car keys? And do we really have to bring the kids?"

So the scenario in your coworker's head may have been: "I have this question. K knows the answer." Checks your desk. "Oh yeah! I saw her go into the bathroom. I'll go find her there." Nothing creepy, to me--just really motivated.
You're unique, just like everyone else!

robcan2

Postby robcan2 » Mon 12 Dec, 2011 03:02 pm

I try not to even make eye contact with anyone when I'm in the mens room, so I would be fairly bothered if someone followed me in there to talk to me about work stuff.

Last week I went to our office in DC. They had a team building activity that involved a sort of scavenger hunt at the Museum of Natural History. At the end of the day, all of the photographs from the activity were shown on the projector. In one, we were all looking at something on the floor, and my back was to the camera, my hands were in my coat pockets, and my head was down. I thought, "Hmmm, I hope I'm the only one that thinks that looks like I'm peeing. And I hope they move to the next photo soon." And sure enough, one of the employees shouts out, "What are you doing Rob?" And everyone laughs. Oh well.
Random musings from a musing randomizer: Rob From Reality

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 31 Jan, 2012 03:56 pm

A woman teacher just walked into the restroom and immediately came out again to report to the secretary that the toilet needs to be flushed. She then returned about two minutes later to make sure it had been done and to use the restroom herself.

Okay, totally inappropriate that a toilet in an adults-only restroom was not flushed after use, but come on, man! Why is it the secretary's job?

Return to “Main Forum”