Curiously inappropriate things seen at work

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

KMD

Re: Curiously inappropriate things seen at work

Postby KMD » Tue 30 Apr, 2013 07:41 am

What, pray tell, is an "Experimental Child"? Sounds like a Frankenstein experiment gone wrong.

Oh, and I actually got one of those Indian-accented phone calls the other day. "Dave" called me to tell me he noticed something wrong on my computer. I said "Excuse me?" because I couldn't believe this was actually happening, and not a prank from a friend. When he repeated himself, I burst out laughing and he hung up.
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 30 Apr, 2013 08:51 am

:) That's one of the funniest things about those Indian calls -- they always have names like Dave or Melissa or James. Sometimes I focus on asking them what their real name is before I hang up.

The context of the Experimental Child was just that this family has five kids, kind of spread out in ages, and the oldest always feels like he's the experiment, because the parents figured things out with him and then knew better how to raise the others. But yeah, the sound of it is kind of freaky, which was why I wrote it down.

I guess you could say that because mine were so close together, I didn't raise a perfect child until Jeff... :)

KMD

Postby KMD » Tue 30 Apr, 2013 12:21 pm

When mine was tiny, I used to tell everyone who asked when I was having another kid that I wasn't, because I got it right on the first try. Nowadays, I'm not so sure that I did...

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 30 Apr, 2013 01:06 pm

Believe me, even when your kids end up as perfect as mine :) you still beat yourself up for things you wish you'd done differently. A lot of it is things that would have made their lives easier as kids and in school, but then maybe without some of those trials, they wouldn't have turned out as awesome as they are. That's my deep philosophical thought for the day.

SDR

Postby SDR » Tue 30 Apr, 2013 09:47 pm

KMD wrote:Oh, and I actually got one of those Indian-accented phone calls the other day. "Dave" called me to tell me he noticed something wrong on my computer. I said "Excuse me?" because I couldn't believe this was actually happening, and not a prank from a friend. When he repeated himself, I burst out laughing and he hung up.

I've now had three or four of those. The most recent was this weekend. My 15 year old son answered the phone and said "I don't think so but here's my dad". I took the phone and was told it was someone from Windows Support or something and that they noticed a problem with my computer. I said "no you didn't because this is a fraudulent call, goodbye" and was greeted with an f-bomb for my efforts. Really? You have time to swear at me rather than just moving on to the next patsy?

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 30 Apr, 2013 10:22 pm

They are very quick to anger, that's for sure.

KMD

Postby KMD » Thu 23 May, 2013 07:47 am

I couldn't figure out if this should have gone in the "inappropriate workplace" thread, or the "joys of working with the public" thread, or even the "mutual improvement society" one, but since it happened to me at work, I stuffed it in here.

In the course of my job, I often do installs of the software I support, for users on their desktops. If we're in the same building, I come by their desks, but if they're located at a different location, I usually just get them on the phone, get them into a remote screen-sharing session, take control of their machine and do the install for them. This is practically an every day thing for me, and I don't mind it a bit, I get to talk to great people all over the country, chit-chat while the software installs, that sort of thing.

So yesterday, I'm working remotely from my home and at lunchtime I get up and go get on my workout gear so I can head out to the walking track. I pass my computer on my way out, and see I've got an urgent instant message. This is a user who is more than my average user. This guy is tech-savvy, has an interface into our system for his own system, in general he is awesome, and I will always go the extra mile for him. He's telling me he's at another location, and he's trying to show someone a report, but that person doesn't have the software installed, and he needs it ASAP. So, there goes my walk. After a lot of effort to set up a remote session (more effort than there should have been, my user knows how this stuff works, and that you can't do it over an air card!) I can finally start doing my job. They've called my cell phone directly, instead of using the conference number I provided them. OK, fine. Then, they put me on speakerphone, and promptly ignore me for the next 25 minutes, like I'm not even there! My user apparently steps away, and the person I was doing the install for must forget he's got me on speaker, doesn't put himself on mute, and begins loudly talking to a buddy about the lunch they're eating (which, I am grouchy about, since I just gave up my lunchtime to help him...) starts talking in really degrading ways about passing women in his office (Hello? Remember me? The WOMAN on the phone, fixing your computer for you?) and then, the final topper. The software is done, I've verified it works, job over. I say into the phone. "OK, as you can see, you now have access, you should be good to go!" And he just hangs up on me. No thanks, no goodbye, just, CLICK, like I was an automated machine on the other end of the phone instead of a person! I just can not get over the rudeness of some people!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 23 May, 2013 09:03 am

Don't you just want to call him back and tell him a few things? That's so annoying!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 10 Sep, 2013 02:15 pm

I have one teacher who just can't seem to understand the attendance system, meaning she can't use common sense. Last year I found out after a week that she had a kid sitting in her class all week who was not on her roll, so he was being marked absent by the teacher in the room where he was supposed to be. This year she topped that. I found out after three weeks that there was a girl who had not attended at all, but had not been marked absent. So how was I supposed to know she wasn't here? I didn't find out until the parents came in to get her transcripts. I talked to the teacher at that time, asked her how she thought I would know the girl wasn't here if she didn't mark her absent. A week later I found out in the same way that a boy had not been there the whole time, FOUR weeks into the year, not marked absent. I was still being nice at that point, but I don't know how much longer I can pull it off. Last week, Thursday, she told me a little girl and her mom had told her that was her last day. I didn't drop her, because we hear that all the time, so the teacher and I agreed that I'd wait until she was absent for a couple of days. Friday she was not marked absent, but with the track record of this teacher, I thought I'd better check. Sure enough, the girl was not here. I asked how she thought I'd know, since she didn't mark the attendance, and she got huffy.

So I dropped the girl. and today, Tuesday, she went through the lunch line. I only heard she was here because the lunch lady couldn't find her on the computer. So I asked the teacher if she was here, and of course she said yes. Again, how would I know that? Couldn't she SEE that she was not on her roll any more? apparently not.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 21 Nov, 2014 10:38 am

There are only four of us working in the office, plus the principal. Three of us have been here for 17 years or more, and the other was hired two years ago, after the previous lady retired. There are minor annoyances and frustrations now and then, but two of them are just getting ridiculous. The new one is full of energy, and frankly, I think there's a bit of jealousy in all the rest of us because the staff tends to think she's just wonderful and a miracle worker, but she doesn't do what she's actually supposed to do sometimes because she's making sure everyone knows how helpful she is. The big issue, though, between her and "R", is that "C" is bilingual (trilingual, actually) and she insists on speaking Spanish even to parents who speak English just fine (she is Swedish, so Spanish is actually her third language) and has, on more than one occasion, interrupted a conversation R was having with an aide and started a whole new conversation in Spanish, right in front of her. That just seems so rude, and R is so sensitive about it, and so they refuse to speak to each other, or, worse, yell at each other, and I CAN'T STAND IT. I don't like conflict, and I let things roll off my back if they affect me directly, but for some reason when it's indirect like this, and there's nothing I can do about it, it drives me crazy. Can't we all just get along?

SDR

Re:

Postby SDR » Fri 21 Nov, 2014 01:00 pm

ImAdhis wrote:Which reminds me of a pet-peeve: Things aren't free to you just because they came through someone else's mistake.

* If the cashier gives you too much change, you return the excess to her.
* If a store forgets to charge you for an item (or four) and you don't realize until you get home, you drive back to the store and point it out to them.
* If a company accidentally sends you five extra items in your Pampered Chef party order, you tell them about it and ask them what they would like you to do.

I'm reading through some of the early posts in the thread (posts I've never read before because this thread was created when I was on a sabbatical from the board) and came across this. I got a breakfast sandwich on my way to work this morning for $0.07 less than the posted retail price. I am a horrible person.

Nah, not really. Well, probably, but not for this reason. I pointed it out and the manager on duty (who I think is the owner of the franchise, though I'm uncertain) said just leave the total as is rather than correcting it. YAY FOR ME! In reality this means I got approximately a 7% discount on my order, since the posted price would normally have sales tax added to it.

SDR

Re:

Postby SDR » Fri 21 Nov, 2014 01:11 pm

Jersey Girl wrote:I had a co-worker that got drunk at lunch once. We told her to sleep underneath her desk and covered for her in case the boss was around. Word to the wise: antibiotics and alcohol don't mix. The plus side was that she paid for the whole meal and didn't even remember it. She insisted. I wasn't going to argue with it. :)

I had an employee (back in the day when I managed a small software team) who took his lunch break in his car for a little marijuana break. He didn't last very long (though longer than I would have expected based on that). Obviously I did not make the final decision on hiring and firing of my team at the time.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 21 Nov, 2014 01:44 pm

I used to have a principal who wouldn't drink on the job, but she would drink on Friday nights and then she'd call people. Sometimes it was just the office staff, but sometimes it was school board members. She wouldn't sound drunk, but would get very expressive and emo. It was fun.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 18 Dec, 2014 11:15 am

We're having a holiday gift shop at school, where the kids bring their money and buy gifts for family members or whoever. Yesterday, the third day of the shop, the principal found out that the librarian was standing guard, and if someone came to buy stuff who owed a library fine, she was TAKING THEIR MONEY. Can you imagine if that was your kid who had saved his nickels all year long to buy a present for his mom and someone took it to pay for a library book, which is probably in his classroom anyway?

KMD

Postby KMD » Wed 31 Dec, 2014 09:41 pm

So I have a co-worker/teammate/friend at work who is originally from Korea, she was an orphan, she was adopted when she was hitting college age and brought to the states, went to college here, she's awesome and great. But, a lot of slang, expressions we use, etc just sails right over her head. The latest case in point....

Another co-worker/friend of ours was heading up a donation thing for kids who are being put into foster care. We collected suitcases, toiletries, stuffed animals and blankets, and we were storing them in this person's cube. Our boss walked past, let's call him John, and picked up one of the stuffed animals and was walking around carrying it. Well, it was a stuffed beaver. My Korean co-worker, not having a clue what she was saying, began to practically shout "Look at John! He really likes the beaver! John loooves the beaver!" John turned 20 shades of purple and quickly left. I pulled her into my cube and explained what exactly that was slang for. As I'm telling her, John shows up behind me, I could see it on her face. So I turned around and said "I had to tell her what it is, or she's just going to keep making that mistake." And his response was "Better you than me. If I had to, I'd be headed to HR. Carry on."

One other story of Korean co-worker. We were doing a toy donation for Christmas at work, one of those where you get a child's name, age, and list of what they want. Well, she donates every year, and likes to pick a boy the same age as her son. He is 16 this year, but when she went to get the info, they said they didn't have anyone over age 13. This really upset her for some reason and she fumed over it for a while. Couple hours later, apropos of nothing she blurts out "I don't want a 13 year old boy for Christmas! Last year I had a 15 year old boy, that was so much better!"

One last story, then I'm done for now. We were all writing up documentation on our systems and cross-training each other, so we could support each other when someone needs to go on vacation. In her document she wrote at a certain point that you needed to "do a sanitary check" on the data. Of course she meant sanity check, but it didn't stop us from laughing and promising we would all bring our Lysol wipes when we work on her system....

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 05 Mar, 2015 01:51 pm

I made brownies for a class last week because they were celebrating something or other. Today I got thank you cards from them. One says, "Your great lay and your my friend." I don't even know what that means. I assume it's not really inappropriate, but I sure don't know what she meant to say.

I think I've mentioned before, though, that it's inappropriate for someone to come to work when they're coughing, sneezing, hacking, and grouchy. I'm very sleepy today because I didn't sleep well last night, pain in my hip and knees and restless legs. I did get up and go for my hike, but it was so cold (okay, it was 37 degrees, but that's COLD for me!) that all I wanted to do the whole time was go back to bed. Instead I came to work but I can hardly keep my eyes open. I would go home, except this coworker is here coughing and hacking and sneezing, and I'd feel like a big wimp for going home sleepy.
Last edited by Momma Snider on Thu 05 Mar, 2015 03:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KMD

Postby KMD » Thu 05 Mar, 2015 02:43 pm

I'm going to guess they meant "You are a great lady, and my friend". As opposed to "I can't spell for love nor money!"

I have since gathered many more stories from my inappropriate Korean co-worker, but most of them are worse than the stuffed beaver story, so I should probably keep them to myself. Except this one, which is totally clean!

She took a test laptop down to deskside support yesterday, to get some software loaded on it. When she got back she said "Woo! He stink so bad! He had that 'single guy stink', you know what I mean?" No, I truly do not know what single guy stink means. Then she tells me her son had the single guy stink the other day, so she Breezed him. It took me a minute to realize, she literally sprayed her son down with Febreze before sending him to school!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 05 Mar, 2015 03:14 pm

I often wish people who stand here over me at my desk would spray themselves with Febreze. There's just that particular smell of unwashed body, unwashed clothes, and stale cigarette smoke, mixed with maybe rancid bacon grease, that is overpowering.

I never heard of it being called a "single guy stink," though.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 05 Mar, 2015 05:25 pm

That reminds me of my mom. For the last 15 years of her life, they had a Greyhound bus station in their store full o'junk. They also had an answering service that meant they had to sleep right there in the store on Main Street, on a bed that folded down from the wall. My mom was a very dignified woman, very reserved, and this was VERY hard for her. One of the hardest parts was having to deal with riffraff all day, and she wasn't always terribly charitable about what constituted riffraff. I remember one time a man was at the counter, smoking, which was legal then, and she pulled out a can of air freshener and sprayed the air all around him. She's lucky she didn't set him on fire!

KMD

Postby KMD » Fri 29 May, 2015 08:03 am

And today's bit of inappropriateness comes from me.

My team lead, Josh, and I were asked to give a presentation to a roomfull of interns, who are here to learn what we do as a company. So, talk about the systems we support from an IT perspective, how they help the business make decisions. Infrastructure, technology, security, yadda yadda yadda. 1:00, first presentation right after lunch.

All day long my stomach has been hurting. I had seen a doctor the day before (first time since moving) and she gave me some meds for my insomnia and blood pressure. So I'm figuring one of these meds is making my stomach hurt, I have a very sensitive stomach when it comes to those things, and I probably should have taken them with food. But, when I did eat, it didn't feel better, it felt the same or slightly worse. But I'm struggling through, don't want to bail on my team lead or all those interns for a sick tummy.

Well, 1:00 hits, and we start to present. Josh goes first, I kept my seat, but I'm starting to break out into a sweat. Nerves, right? Stomach still not feeling good. After 25 min or so, Josh hands me the power point clicker, and it's my turn. I stand up, attempt to be witty and humerous, this crowd has been stone cold quiet the whole time, one Asian intern in the front is napping. I get through my first slide, and that's it. The room starts spinning, I turn white as a sheet, and I hear myself say "Josh, I'm sorry, but I'm not going to make it. I'm going to pass out." and I fall into my chair. He asks if I'm ok and my answer is No. Then I hop from my chair, and begin to sprint for the bathroom, because I know what is coming next. The bathroom is at the other end of this long hallway, I am not going to make it. But Josh and some other employees followed me out and grab a trash can and get it under my face just in time. I vomited up everything, within earshot of those poor interns. Welcome to our company!

It's a stomach bug, after I puked I remembered when I picked my kid up from school, they had all the kids in one room,because the other room had been vomited in by a kid, and I had to go in there to get my son's carseat. And then when my son came home from school, he told me his best friend also vomited today and had to go home. So, clearly some bug is going around his school and I caught it. Now I'm recovering, resting, and waiting for my kid and/or hubby to begin vomiting.

I have never puked in front of people like that before. At work, or just in public. Those poor interns. But I guarantee our talk was the most memorable of the day, and that Asian intern is awake!

Return to “Main Forum”