Great Writers/Books

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

Momma Snider

Re: Great Writers/Books

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 03 Nov, 2014 10:32 am

I love YA fiction. I haven't thought of listening except when I'm on road trips, and then only when I'm driving by myself, which I rarely do. But I am home alone a lot, and when I'm doing housework, it would be great. I do have plenty of time to read, though.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 02 Feb, 2015 01:02 pm

Between the six of us who were here for Christmas, we got 42 books. That doesn't include the entire Miss Julia series that my aunt gave me when I told her I was putting them on my Christmas list. So many books, so little time that I'm not expected to be at my pesky job!

KMD

Postby KMD » Tue 03 Feb, 2015 08:06 pm

I've been reading the Maze Runner series, but haven't seen the movie yet. the books are pretty good, but I am pretty tired of the pseudo curseword "shuck". It's everywhere, and just too close to the real word for my tastes. If you're going to make up your own cursewords, at least be a little more original about it!

I'm almost done though, what should I read next?
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 04 Feb, 2015 09:21 am

KMD, I assume you've read the Wrinkle in Time trilogy, and the accompanying fourth book, Many Waters? My other favorites by Madeleine L'Engle are Troubling a Star and The Young Unicorns, which is not about unicorns at all, but is part of the Austin Family series.

I haven't read them in a while, but I think it's time. Well, no, it will be time after I have finished my Christmas books. I also haven't given any of them to my granddaughters to read, and I think they'd like them.

lilcis

Postby lilcis » Wed 04 Feb, 2015 10:18 am

I had a really hard time with A Wrinkle in Time, just because I'm not imaginative enough to visualize what was going on and got really confused. I think I watched the TV movie a few years ago though and may try again. I definitely never read the rest of the series.
Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be. Michael Scott

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 04 Feb, 2015 10:35 am

Many Waters is about the twins, who mess with their dad's computer and get zapped back to the time of Noah. One of the others, A Swiftly Tilting Planet, has to do with how things can change on a large scale because of a small thing. And A Wind in the Door is about mitochondria, which I thought was a made-up thing, but it's not boring and scientific, it's intriguing, again showing how small things (very, very tiny things) can affect the universe. And now I'm reminded that there's actually a fifth book, An Acceptable Time, which I have read but don't remember.

I love them.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 12 Feb, 2015 09:52 am

I don't have time to read back to see if I've mentioned one of my top five books of all time, but here it is. It's Winter Solstice, by Rosamund Pilcher. She also wrote The Shell Seekers, which is more famous, and two other long books, as well as about 15 shorter novels. I love them all, but I love Winter Solstice the most. Part of it is sentimental for me, because my mom loved her and I got most of the books when she died. But she died in 1997, and Winter Solstice wasn't published until 2000, and when I read it I think about how much my mom would have loved it. I also love it because it's set in 2000 or so. I like to read books about other eras, but having it more recent makes me feel like I could actually go to this place and see the sights. It starts in Cornwall and ends up in Scotland. AND I found a tour that actually goes to the places mentioned in the book! It's called Rosamund Pilcher's Winter Solstice Tour. Even though the book is fiction, and all the names have been changed, they were all based on real places. I love the idea that I could actually go there, although I'm pretty sure I never will.

Anyway, you should all read this book. I love it.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 12 May, 2015 10:13 am

And now I'm reading the Father Tim series by Jan Caron. It's about an older Episcopalian Father and the little community he lives in, and his family life and stuff. I have learned a lot about the Episcopalian religion and their procedures and services, which I have enjoyed, but even more, I've been inspired by his goodness and dedication and the examples of love he finds in the Bible. I've even got my next church talk planned, based on "In everything give thanks" from the New Testament. I can definitely say that I'm a better person for reading these books, and they're fun to read, too!

KMD

Postby KMD » Tue 12 May, 2015 07:56 pm

I recently listened to As You Wish from Cary Elwes, kind of a behind the scenes of the making of The Princess Bride movie. The audiobook was excellent, narrated by Cary Elwes, and the voices of Carole King, Rob Reiner, etc pop up in the book here and there, with their own rememberings of certain events. If you love that movie, listen to this book.

lilcis

Postby lilcis » Wed 13 May, 2015 09:31 am

Thanks KMD! I was wondering if that was a book I'd want to listen to or read. I was leaning towards reading since I thought it might have some photos included. I added the audiobook to my library wish list. :D
Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be. Michael Scott

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 13 May, 2015 10:19 am

That sounds really good! I wish I had time for audiobooks! I'll read the actual book, but in this case it sounds like the audiobook would be even better, as was the case in "The Secret Life of Bees."

KMD

Postby KMD » Wed 13 May, 2015 02:57 pm

Since I don't have that long commute anymore (Hooray!). I haven't been listening to as many books as I used to. So I listened when I would walk to pick up my son at school, and at my desk when I was doing boring, repetitive, non-brain engaging tasks.

Next in my Kindle reading queue is The Royal We, from the ladies who write the Go Fug Yourself website. I read the sample before it was out, (first 7 chapters!) and it was great. Now I just need more quiet time to sit and read.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 13 May, 2015 03:41 pm

I'm looking forward to reading time more than just about anything else when I'm out for the month of July. The last two weeks of June, too, but I'll be spending a week in Utah, making food for the big bake sale that Jeff and Beth are having to benefit foster kids. And normally I would read on the drive, but this time I'm riding with my sister, and I'm looking forward even more to talking to her. She lives right here in town, but we rarely get to talk because of Life.

Return to “Main Forum”