Great Writers/Books

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

KMD

Postby KMD » Sun 03 May, 2009 08:20 pm

I just finished his "Anansi Boys" and I thought that was great too!
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

KMD

Re: Great Writers/Books

Postby KMD » Wed 22 May, 2013 09:29 am

Let's see if we can't revive this thread. What is everyone currently reading?

I am about halfway through Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. It's not what I usually gravitate towards, but I am enjoying it. To quote Amazon,
"...a fast-paced, devilishly dark, and ingeniously plotted thriller" is a pretty good description of it, without giving too much away. It is also filled with un-Mormon-like language and behavior, though, so proceed with caution.

And I just finished Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal by Mary Roach. I love her books. Both scientific and humorous at the same time.

Eric's Fat Brother

Postby Eric's Fat Brother » Wed 22 May, 2013 09:36 am

I'm currently reading "Dad is Fat" by Jim Gaffigan. It's a fun little read.
Jeff J. Snider
"I'm crazy but I get the job done."
My NEW weight-loss blog

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 22 May, 2013 09:59 am

I'm reading two books, one a fantasy by Elizabeth Goudge, an old-fashioned writer that my mom loved, called "The Little White Horse." The other is called "Silver Girl" by Nicole Hilderbrand, just a basic mystery/romance book about a woman whose husband has been convicted of running a Ponzi scheme. I'm enjoying both of them.

Reading back on this thread, I have found a few books I want to read. I have never read a lot of the books that people were apparently forced to read in high school, maybe because I read so much anyway that the teachers didn't see a need for force. Or maybe I was supposed to, but refused to be forced.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Thu 23 May, 2013 12:02 pm

I'm reading Throne of Glass by Sarah Maas right now. She's very obviously a newer writer, but the story is intriguing enough that I'm sticking with it. Recently re-read The Hobbit--once you get past the heavy-handed "I am writing this for the CHILDREN" tone, it's quite enjoyable. Also enjoyed The Runaway Princess and The Runaway Dragon by Kate Coombs. They're good, and clean and light enough that I handed them off to my nine-year-old without hesitation. She liked Patrica C. Wrede's Enchanted Forest Chronicles, and these books are up the same alley.

I've got The Silmarillion (Tolkien) on my nightstand, but I keep ignoring it in favor of lighter books. And I finally have my hands on Insurgent! Yay for libraries and holds!

...Yeah, I read a lot.
You're unique, just like everyone else!

KMD

Postby KMD » Wed 12 Jun, 2013 08:33 am

I am now listening to "Dad is Fat" based on Jeff's recommendation here, and it is pretty good! My only problem with it is, it's read by the author, and he sounds very much like Anthony Bourdain, who read his own "Kitchen Confidential", which is peppered with swears and screaming. So hearing Jim Gaffigan be all mild and calm and "family friendly" is odd, I keep expecting f-bombs out of nowhere. In the same vein, I really enjoyed Jay Mohr's "No Wonder My Parents Drank!" It's full of Daddy love for his son, and hilarious stories. In some points I have laughed so hard listening to it, I will tear up, and involuntarily closed my eyes, and then I have to remind myself, "Can't do that. Driving!" Not so family-friendly though, but pants-wettingly funny.

I finished "Gone Girl", and it was fantastic, I did not see the ending coming. I've got my mom hooked on it now. And I just finished reading on my Kindle "Wuthering Heights", because Audible gave away a bunch of classics for free when they started doing their Whispersync with Kindle, and hey, free books! I had never read "Wuthering Heights" before, and I will never read it again. Half hate-story, half ghost story, not what I was looking for, but hey, you can't beat the price!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 12 Jun, 2013 09:30 am

I read Jane Eyre on my Kindle because it was free. I didn't particularly like it. I've been told to read Gone Girl, but haven't followed through yet. Right now I'm reading a Robert Crais book that starts out being about a bomb-sniffing dog in Iraq, and my husband said there are chapters told from the dog's point of view, which he thought was great. I wish I could get him to read A Dog's Purpose. Maybe if I can ever trick him into going on a beach vacation, he'll do it. I know he'd love it.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Wed 12 Jun, 2013 10:37 am

Momma, would Rocky listen to it on CDs? I have a set I'll send you if you think he'd "read" it that way. Let me know...
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 12 Jun, 2013 11:14 am

Hmmm...I don't know, but I'll ask him. He tends to be on the phone most of the time he's driving, but we did listen to "A Wrinkle In Time" on the way to Utah and back a few years ago, and he liked that.

KMD

Postby KMD » Wed 12 Jun, 2013 11:52 am

For a 50th birthday present, I bought my very military brother-in-law "American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History" by Chris Kyle. He took it to the beach and read it, then told his wife it's the first "real book" he's read since he was a child. I really hope this is the start of something for him!

KMD

Postby KMD » Tue 09 Jul, 2013 09:08 am

Finished reading on my Kindle the "Wonderful Wizard of Oz". Again, another freebie. But, I've never read it before, and it was pretty good, if childish. But, that was the intended audience, so I can't fault it for that.

Also just finished reading "Spoiled", by Heather Morgan and Jennifer Cocks, the women behind the fashion website Go Fug Yourself. It is hilarious! It's like a blending/update of that movie Clueless, and The Parent Trap. I think my next book on the Kindle will be the sequel, "Messy".

In audiobooks, I just downloaded "Dimension of Miracles", it's an older Sci-Fi book, sounds like it was an influence on the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books, which I LOVE. Plus, it's a Neil Gaiman pick, and he's never steered me wrong yet. And I've got "Pride and Prejudice" in my queue to listen to as well. Never have gotten around to reading that, and if I don't do it soon, I fear someone will come and take my Girl card away. :D

Jersey Girl

Postby Jersey Girl » Wed 10 Jul, 2013 05:44 pm

I finished Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand around Memorial Day. It is a fantastic book and it is one of the best books I've read all year.

I finally read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. I thought it was a kids book since it sat on my grandma's shelf and I think I saw the beginning of the movie as a child. However, it was very much not a kids book. People in 1943 weren't supposed to talk about the bad stuff in life :). It was endearing in its way, but as the prologue said it's a book where not much happens. The opposite of Unbroken. I need to read Seabiscuit now.

I'm currently reading Code Name Verity. I don't think I'm in the mood for it, but it's gotten a lot of buzz. The story doesn't completely grab me and it is about lady RAF pilots.
"Chicken legs were moved, roads were crossed, motives were questioned."--EFB

KMD

Postby KMD » Tue 03 Sep, 2013 11:25 am

Finished "Pride and Prejudice", and it was fantastic, girl card is in tact. Started "Jane Eyre" on the Kindle, and it's good, but I've been so tired, I only get maybe 2 pages in, and then I'm involuntarily falling asleep. On the drive I'm listening to "Dimension of Miracles", and it's pretty good! Very much in the vein of Hitchhikers. If you like your sci-fi light and frothy, not hard-core, this is a great read.

If you like your sci-fi hard-core, my husband just got "Cryptonomicon" by Neal Stephenson. It is so hard-core, there are actual snippets of Perl code for cryptology in it. That is... not what I'm looking for in my entertainment choices. Next on my list is "Fevre Dream" by George R. R. Martin. It has nothing of Game of Thrones in it, at all. It's a vampire on a riverboat story, which sounds entertaining and light and frothy to me!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 03 Sep, 2013 11:31 am

I guess I'm not a girl. I've read both "Pride and Prejudice" and "Jane Eyre" on my Kindle in the past year, because they were free and I hadn't read them. They were okay, but I can't say I enjoyed them. It never ceases to amaze me, because I am a good reader, how little I enjoy reading if I have to think about what I'm reading or wade through stilted or old-fashioned language.

In the science fiction for teens category, I just read Shannon Messenger's "Keeper of the Lost Cities." I enjoyed it. It had a few minor editing flaws, as I've seen a few times on Kindle editions, but I liked the story and am constantly fascinated at some people's imaginations!

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Tue 03 Sep, 2013 08:21 pm

Momma Snider wrote:
In the science fiction for teens category, I just read Shannon Messenger's "Keeper of the Lost Cities." I enjoyed it. It had a few minor editing flaws, as I've seen a few times on Kindle editions, but I liked the story and am constantly fascinated at some people's imaginations!

I'm Internet friends with Shannon Messenger. She would be thrilled to hear you enjoyed her book. :)

I've just finished reading everything written by Jim C Hines and John Scalzi. Love their writing. Except for Jim C Hines' followup to Libriomancer (which I enjoyed), Magic ex Libris, which I haven't read. The husband is sort of reading Magic ex Libris, but says there's a lot of erotica in it, so, no, avoid that one. *sigh* Up until this, I liked his stuff. Why? Why why why why why?
There's no better form of government than a dictatorship when you're the dictator.
-Fahim Farook

Walking the World
Me on Instagram
Me on Twitter
Me on Google+
Me on Facebook

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 04 Sep, 2013 09:38 am

My son killed Shannon Messenger's bugs when he was doing pest control. That's how I was introduced to her.

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Wed 04 Sep, 2013 06:16 pm

Oh cool!

Isn't it weird how small the world is? :)
There's no better form of government than a dictatorship when you're the dictator.
-Fahim Farook

Walking the World
Me on Instagram
Me on Twitter
Me on Google+
Me on Facebook

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 05 Sep, 2013 10:29 am

I got Rocky to try "A Dog's Purpose" but he didn't get very far before he decided it didn't have enough plot for him. I'm glad I read both of those books before Andy died, because they enriched my life, but I wouldn't be able to read them now. I might go read the last chapter again in another month or two.

I recently finished a series by Ann B Ross, the Miss Julia books. Karen, I think you'd enjoy them. Miss Julia is a proper southern lady, older than we are, who stands up for what she believes and gets in amazing scrapes along the way. Very entertaining. There are 14 of them so far, and I hope there will be more.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Mon 09 Sep, 2013 08:34 am

Thanks, Momma! I will be requesting some from my library today!
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 09 Sep, 2013 09:44 am

Let me know what you think. I KNOW what you'll think! They are just so much fun!

Return to “Main Forum”