Great Writers/Books

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

Momma Snider

Re: Great Writers/Books

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 12 Feb, 2014 09:42 am

I just read "Divergent" this week. I loved it! I just love dystopia! Well, I love reading about it and thinking about it. I would have thought I'd like utopia, because I like happily ever after, but after reading the author's comments, I realize there's no such thing. Your idea of utopia would likely be completely different from mine. And mine would constantly change, once I realized that I don't always know what I want.

But all the varieties of dystopian society are intriguing to me. ESPECIALLY when they take place in recognizable locations. That was one of my favorite things about "The Host", I think. "Divergent" takes place in Chicago. I've never been there, but I looked at a map when she talked about the streets and the river and what "used to be a lake."

I also love books that take place in the past, in recognizable locations. I used to read Louis L'Amour westerns, partly because I like to look around and visualize how wherever I am might have looked to someone in the 1880s.

And maybe that's why I don't like typical science fiction, the kind that takes place in space or whatever. I don't have a frame of reference for it.

But I loved "Divergent." And I look forward to the two sequels.

GenAdFemale

Postby GenAdFemale » Wed 12 Feb, 2014 09:56 am

Momma, have you read the Wool series? Sometimes called The Wool Omnibus. Also its sequels Shift and Dust. Those are good dystopian books as well. I also liked Divergent and the succeeding books, but I had a few people warn me about reading the last one.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 12 Feb, 2014 10:51 am

What kind of warning?

GenAdFemale

Postby GenAdFemale » Thu 13 Feb, 2014 03:05 pm

Bad things happen and a lot of the people didn't like it.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 13 Feb, 2014 03:25 pm

Hmmm. I don't like when bad things happen, like Dumbledore and Hedwig and Fred or George or whichever one it was dying, but now I'm involved in the story, so I'll have to finish the series. But I'm glad I've had the warning, so I'll be prepared.

SDR

Postby SDR » Sat 15 Feb, 2014 12:32 pm

Momma Snider wrote:Hmmm. I don't like when bad things happen, like Dumbledore and Hedwig and Fred or George or whichever one it was dying, but now I'm involved in the story, so I'll have to finish the series. But I'm glad I've had the warning, so I'll be prepared.

Fred or George was dying?!? SPOILER ALERT PLEASE!

Just kidding. Carry on. :)

SDR

Postby SDR » Sat 15 Feb, 2014 12:33 pm

But seriously, some people really take that whole spoiler alert thing too far IMO. "Why'd you just tell me how Gone with the Wind ended? I was going to watch that someday! Thanks a *lot*!"

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Sat 15 Feb, 2014 01:39 pm

Yeah, once it's been out as long as HP, there's no such thing as spoilers anymore. But I hate when people go on Facebook during a TV show, for example, and talk about what's happening. Major sports events, too.

I was actually glad to know that beloved people were going to die in HP, though. I don't like to go into something and be totally shocked.

GenAdFemale

Postby GenAdFemale » Mon 17 Feb, 2014 04:40 pm

Then consider yourself warned. I won't tell you who, but I guessed it pretty early on because of a change in.... in something that if I tell you it would give it away. So just....you know....be warned.

Also I cried real tears when I read that Dobby died. It helped prepare me for Fred.

On an up note, please consider reading "Year of Biblical Womanhood." No one dies (at least in this book. Lots of people die in the Bible) and it's interesting.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 17 Feb, 2014 06:35 pm

Dobby! Sweet little Dobby!

I will look up the Wool series and also Year of Biblical Womanhood. Right now.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 27 Feb, 2014 02:02 pm

Right now I'm reading "The Book Thief" which my granddaughter loaned to me. I kind of hate to even think of her reading it, not because it's dirty or whatever, but because it takes place in Nazi Germany, and there's a Jew hiding in the basement. It's written from the point of view of Death, which was a little weird to start, but I got used to it. I was just full of despair last night thinking about how it would feel to be a Jew in 1940, with the end of the war five years away. Of course they didn't know how long it would be, which in some ways made it worse. It would have been horrible to even be a German, not to mention a Pole or Austrian, if one was not a Nazi.

My granddaughter loved the book, so I assume she didn't quite get the despair that I got. I'm going to suggest "The Diary of Anne Frank," and read it again myself. It's been maybe 45 years since I read it.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 31 Mar, 2014 09:39 am

Believe it or not, I completely forgot about the warning for the third Divergent book, and it took me by surprise and I did, indeed, HATE it. I felt betrayed by the author. I didn't think the third book really held together well anyway. For example, the second one ended with the report from the outside world, which should have told us something about that outside world. But then when they got into it, the author decided to have it be a lie. Come on, that's cheating! Make up your mind! And then there were things that just didn't go anywhere, like she was writing aimlessly.

I felt personally devastated for a couple of days, like something had happened to my family or best friend. It's funny, because I've also read a couple of books about the Holocaust, and obviously REALLY horrible things happen in those, but because that stuff really happened, I dealt with it better. Seems to me if you're writing total fiction, you can avoid stabbing me in the heart at the end!@

KMD

Postby KMD » Wed 09 Jul, 2014 07:59 pm

I just finished The Fault in Our Stars, and it was excellent. I had no clue what it was about, just that they were making it into a movie. So touching, sad, but full of love.
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 10 Jul, 2014 06:52 pm

I might have to read that sometime when I'm feeling strong. Right now I'm reading a light comedy/murder book about a little old lady who discovers a dead body. Well, no, she's not even as old as I am, but whatever. All the books in the series have a food item in the title, and there are recipes scattered throughout. This one is called English Trifle. It's by Josi Kilpack.

My daughter is reading Paradise Lost. I don't see any point in that at all.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 28 Oct, 2014 01:20 pm

KMD, I read The Fault In Our Stars a few weeks ago, on my granddaughter's strong suggestion, and I loved it. I loved it so much that I then watched the movie with my sister. Neither of us had wanted to read it, thinking it would be too sad, but somehow it wasn't, even though it was, of course. And I think I might have liked the movie even better, which is rare.

KMD

Postby KMD » Tue 28 Oct, 2014 07:17 pm

Wow! High praise indeed! I have been avoiding the movie, but now I'll have to watch it!

I've been reading the Lady Julia mysteries. I think it starts off with Silent In The Grave, author Deanna Raybourn. They're pretty good! I also read YA book Eleanor and Park, also good, a little sad, but not terrible, crippling kinda sad. More of a "circumstances stink, find love anyway" kind of thing...

Any other good book suggestions? I'm listening to Life of Pi now, but I need a book to read on my Kindle too.
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 29 Oct, 2014 09:40 am

If you like Stephen King, I would recommend Dr. Sleep, which is kind of a sequel to The Shining. I just finished it, and I really liked it. It's about Danny as an adult, and a young girl who has The Shining big time and connects with him, and some bad guys who are trying to do bad things. There is one moment at the end that really warmed my heart. If you read it, let me know if you have the same feeling.

And for light and delightful, I have to mention again the Miss Julia books by Ann B Ross. I just put them on my Christmas list, because I borrowed them from my aunt originally, and I think I could read them over and over again.

lilcis

Postby lilcis » Wed 29 Oct, 2014 11:12 am

I'm sad to report that TV time has taken over book reading time for me, thanks to the handy dandy DVR. Seems like the only time I can really dig into a good book is when I'm on vacation, and I usually check out from the library more than I can possibly complete and then feel bad when I return half of them without being read (after exhausting my renewals thinking I'll actually get to them eventually).

With that said, I have been listening to a TON of audio books, since I can do it during my commute, while working out, cleaning, etc..

My favorite audio book series has been Bloody Jack, by L.A. Meyer. The stories are so funny and the narrator is perfect! My library only has the first 10 books of the series (there's twelve) so I'm not-so-patiently waiting for the last two, and very tempted to just buy them.

My second favorite is the Flavia de Luce series by Alan Bradley. Again, fantastic narrator and great stories.

Currently I'm listening to Life After Life by Kate Atkinson. I'm enjoying it, but it's a little tougher to listen to a novel like this. If I were reading the book I think I'd spend a lot of time flipping back to previous chapters to refresh my memory on dates & people. Not something you can easily do with an audio book!
Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be. Michael Scott

Jersey Girl

Postby Jersey Girl » Fri 31 Oct, 2014 10:03 pm

I really enjoyed the movie Fault of Our Stars. I totally cried during the movie but I cried a little with the book. I thought it would be all so sad but it was only sad in a few places. I mostly was laughing. Always a good thing. I also liked Eleanor and Park like KMD. The circumstances seemed pretty real to me. The f word repeated a bunch of times wasn't my favorite, but it was a good book none the less. I was sad I missed seeing Rainbow Rowell (awesome name and she's the author) in person during banned books week at my local library. I heard Fangirl was pretty good.

My current author obsession is Stephanie Perkins. Her Anna series is really good. She captures high school really well and the romances just get me in the heart. I wish romance in real life was as easy as the books. They are my fluff books and I'm awaiting the end of my hold so I can finish the series.

I recommend The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart. It was really good. Her latest book We Were Liars is a disappointment.

Currently I'm reading Bill Bryson's A Walk in the woods. It's pretty funny and I'm learning a lot about the Appalachian trial that isn't too far from my neck of the woods. It's nice to read something that is light but not about high school. I've been on a major YA kick the past few months. I may want to go into fluffy mysteries. I loved the Cat Who Books in high school and would like to find a non bloody/scary series like that one.
"Chicken legs were moved, roads were crossed, motives were questioned."--EFB

lilcis

Postby lilcis » Mon 03 Nov, 2014 10:22 am

I liked Eleanor & Park and Fangirl as well. Listened to both as audio books and they were stories that I didn't want to end. I'll have to check out the Anna series. I prefer listening to YA Fiction as it's lighter and easier to keep track of the story when you're doing something else at the same time (like washing dishes).
Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be. Michael Scott

Return to “Main Forum”