Great Writers/Books

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

KMD

Re: Great Writers/Books

Postby KMD » Tue 01 Oct, 2013 11:13 am

I finished "Jane Eyre" last night, and it was... eh. I didn't love it, I didn't hate it, it didn't offend me in any way, but it didn't change my life. It is firmly in the "whatever" category for me.

And then I am in the epilogue of "Fevre Dream" as of my drive in to work this morning. That was a great book. I can't think of anyone who wouldn't enjoy that book! Now I don't know what to read next. I might take a break from actual reading, and work on a scarf in the evenings instead. But I need an audiobook for my drive time. I put "Crap Kingdom" on my wish list after Eric recommended it on Twitter the other day. So, either that, or maybe it's time for "In the Pleasure Groove:Love, Death and Duran Duran" from John Taylor of Duran Duran.
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 01 Oct, 2013 01:20 pm

That's how I felt about Jane Eyre. I just didn't really care, although I did feel sad where appropriate.

KareNin, did you ever get a Miss Julia book?

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Wed 09 Oct, 2013 09:01 am

Oh, thank goodness you asked me that. I could NOT remember in which Forum or Thread you told me about the Miss Julia books, so I hadn't reported back to you.

YES.

I immediately requested the first 4 in the series from my local library (Wagnalls Memorial Library), and as soon as I was halfway through the first one, I went back online and got the titles of all the rest of them in order, and have been reading one right after the other, ever since, getting them in small batches at a time.

This is a really hectic week because I have a big doctor's appointment with my spine surgeon coming up tomorrow, and the next day, we (Tom, Dennis, and I) are leaving for Missouri to spend a few days with Steve, their family, and Jon. (And I hate the packing-for-a-trip part more than anyone on earth. I promise.) So I don't have much leisure time this week, to read.

Fortunately, I got "Miss Julia Meets Her Match" on Audiobook (CDs) to listen to as I'm drifting off to sleep. I just finished the book a few days ago, so it's okay if I fall asleep. I love the characters, and the woman who reads the books has a pretty good ear for Southern accents of different kinds.

So, yeah, I like them. Thank you for telling me about them. Actually, I think that a few years ago, I randomly picked up one of the later ones and checked it out & read it & enjoyed it, but at the time I wasn't aware that it was part of a series. It may have been the one I'm currently reading, "Miss Julia's School of Beauty"... not sure.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 09 Oct, 2013 09:26 am

I was really sad when I finished the series, but happy that I got them during the summer, so I could read them quickly. Normally I only read for the 15 minutes or so before I fall asleep, unless I remember to bring my book downstairs, which I rarely do. although Miss Julia would be worth going upstairs for!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 09 Oct, 2013 01:44 pm

Did you read the one with the motorcycle fundraiser yet? There were a couple of my favorite lines in that one, like when she had to cut the leather pants and she was afraid you could see all the way to Christmas.

I'm on Maeve Binchy right now, because that was another bunch that my aunt loaned to me. I like her, mostly because so many of the books take place in Ireland, and they reference some of the same locations, restaurants, etc. In fact, the one I picked at random most recently is kind of a sequel to the last one I read, purely by accident.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Wed 09 Oct, 2013 03:45 pm

Yes, the Poker Run book was the one just before "Meets Her Match." Having actually gone on a motorcycle Poker Run at one time in my Former Life (as the passenger behind the biker), I thoroughly enjoyed that entire segment of the book. I didn't notice that line in particular when I read it. I think it's because a huge percentage of the dialect-rich dialogue is speech I grew up hearing when I was a child. I must have some seriously Southern U.S. ancestors.

So when I read the dialogue and "hear it" in my head as I'm reading, I can hear my Mom's voice saying those exact phrases and using the same cadences as she and my Grandma and Grandpa Thrash used. It's comforting and familiar to me.

I always am sad to come to the end of a series too.

Never read any of Maeve Binchy's books, but her books have been recommended to me several times, so I still have her stuff to look forward to.

Some of my other favorite authors who write series (not particularly SERIOUS, just SERIES) fiction are Jennifer Chiaverini, who writes about The Elm Creek Quilt ladies; Mary Daheim, who has the "Alpine" series (the titles go from A through Z; she is currently on "The Alpine Xanadu"); Mary Daheim again, with her Bed-and-Breakfast series, and Alexander McCall Smith, who has 4 separate lines of continuing stories going.

McCall Smith is the author of "The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency" series, which takes place in Botswana. But I think you might really like his "44 Scotland Street" series, as well as his "Sunday Philosophy Club" series featuring Isabel Dalhousie. And he started a fourth series in installments, in The Guardian , a Scottish newspaper (which was also available online). They have since then had that series printed up in book form, and it is called the "Corduroy Mansions" series.
All three of those collections take place in Scotland... primarily Edinburgh, but with a bit of travel and whatnot in other areas in and around Scotland. I just drink them all up, like canteens of water slaking my thirst for fun reads.

I keep thinking I'm gonna get organized someday and list my favorite books and authors on that Goodreads site. But I probably never will. In fact, I'm ALWAYS reading something, sometimes two to five different books in process at a time, so that ain't never gonna happen... I'm Deleting that from my Bucket List, and replacing it with something I actually WOULD like to do.

Like maybe riding along on another Poker Run someday.

SDR

Postby SDR » Wed 09 Oct, 2013 10:17 pm

Is the Wagnalls Memorial Library next to the Funk Memorial Parking Lot?

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Wed 09 Oct, 2013 11:39 pm

No...

But as Eric once hinted, it might be in Funkytown.

Fun Fact: When we were first married and living in Santa Monica, CA, our best friends were Elliot and Jeanne Funk. One of Elliot Funk's uncles, on his mother's side, is Boyd K. Packer. So for 40 years, we have always referred to Pres. Packer, when seeing him on TV during Conference or in print, as Uncle Boyd.

But not in an irreverent way. Just, "There's Uncle Boyd."

SDR

Postby SDR » Wed 09 Oct, 2013 11:52 pm

DANG! Stupid subconscious joke theft. Sorry Eric. I just re-read those recently. {le sigh}

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 10 Oct, 2013 08:25 am

We occasionally call him Boyd, too. Years ago he spoke at a symposium for seminary teachers that Rocky went to. They were all wearing name badges, and Rocky always sits in the front row at those things, and arrives early. President Packer walked around greeting people before the meeting, and to everyone else he said, "Nice to meet you, Sister Nelson," or "Good morning, Brother Smith," or whatever, using last names. To Rocky he said, "Brother Rocky, thank you for coming." So we figure they are on a first-name basis.

I used to know a kid named Eddie Funkhouser. I think of him now and then when my house gets really funky.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 10 Oct, 2013 08:26 am

But where is this Funk/Wagnall's joke you reference? I love to read Eric's stuff that I've forgotten.

SDR

Postby SDR » Thu 10 Oct, 2013 12:38 pm

I think it was in part one of picking up the geo lo these many years ago.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 10 Oct, 2013 01:23 pm

Also, Elder Christofferson is a near relative of ours: My sister's son's wife's dad is his cousin.

SDR

Postby SDR » Thu 10 Oct, 2013 02:17 pm

Do they call him D or Todd or Elder Cousin?

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 12 Dec, 2013 04:17 pm

Hmmm. I don't know.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 12 Dec, 2013 04:43 pm

We had a wrapped book exchange last night at the Relief Society Christmas dinner. We were just supposed to bring a book that we had lying around, wrapped, and then we played the game where you take a present and then take from someone else, etc. etc. Slight twist on this one that made me not hate it like I usually do, they asked questions, like "If you've ever been skiing, take a gift," or "If you have brown eyes" or "if you ever snuck out of the house as a teenager." I really wanted to end up with a real book, not a "gift" book, so I was going for thick paperback feel. I ended up with my own twice, but ended up with one about the same size, only hardbound. I shouldn't have started the story since I can't remember the name of the book, but I think it's "The Girls of Ames" or something, and I think I'll like it.

But what I wanted to say was that the book I took was "A Dog's Purpose," because I had two copies of it. And everyone laughed when it was opened, like it was a silly name, and no one in the whole group had ever heard of it. They even traded it off after it was opened, which I think is rude when it's done in that manner. But I assured the woman who ended up with it that it's one of the best books ever, if you like dogs, and she said she does. I don't think she reads much, but maybe she will.

The brand-new Asian young lady in the group got a Harlequin Romance, I think. She wrapped it carefully back in its paper and didn't say a word.

bCurt

Postby bCurt » Sat 14 Dec, 2013 02:58 am

I consume most of my books via audio these days since I don't have much time to sit and read. I'm a huge fan of Brandon Sanderson and recently finished Steelheart and The Rithmatist both of which I highly recommend. The most recent however, were Follow the River by James Alexander Thom based on a true story of woman taken captive by Shawnee and escapes to trek a thousand miles to get back home; The Gate Thief by Orson Scott Card which is a 2nd book of a three books series that I almost wish I hadn't started; and The Boy in the Suitcase by Lene Kaaberbøl about a boy who is found in a suitcase (or the woman who finds him depending on how you look at it). I've just started Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian which so far has struck me as too detailed but I haven't gotten far yet. I enjoyed the movie and have even been on the boat some of it was filmed on.

KMD

Postby KMD » Sat 14 Dec, 2013 07:31 pm

I just finished reading "David Copperfield" on my Kindle, and finished listening to "Self Inflicted Wounds" by Aisha Tyler (she's very intelligent, well spoken, funny, and unfortunately very full of profanity). Let's see, I also listened to selected works of O. Henry, and now I'm about half way through "A Christmas Carol", read by Tim Curry, which is fantastic!
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Sun 05 Jan, 2014 05:47 pm

I got lots and lots of books for Christmas. There's a set of about eight books by Thomas Kincaide and somebody, all just nice Christmasy stories. I've read one of them so far, but want to kind of space them out so I'll still have some to read this summer, when it's hot and I want to think of cold places. First I read The Silver Star, about two girls whose mom is kind of nuts, and she leaves them alone so long that they make their way across the country to an uncle. It is one of my favorite books of all time, I think, not too heavy and not too light, but it definitely has a surprise at the end, so don't read the last chapter first! And just yesterday I finished Gone Girl. I'd heard of it but wasn't sure if I'd like it. It surprised me a couple of time, major surprises, and I'm not sure I liked how it ended, but I can usually change endings in my head, so it's okay.

One book I asked for that I'm not sure why was called Thanksgiving Night. I think I thought it sounded warm and cozy, and Thanksgiving night is my second favorite night of the whole year, but the book was very dark and ugly and unsatisfying. It reminded me a lot of the JK Rowling adult novel I got last year, The Casual Vacancy, which I really, really didn't like at all.

Right now I'm on Where'd You Go, Bernadette? which I'm enjoying quite a bit.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 06 Jan, 2014 05:55 pm

LOVED Where'd You Go, Bernadette?!

Return to “Main Forum”