Great Writers/Books

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

Momma Snider

Re: Great Writers/Books

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 09 Jan, 2014 11:20 pm

And then yesterday I read "Messenger" and "Son," #s 3 and 4 in the series that began with "The Giver" by Lois Lowry. I read "Giver" probably 10 years ago, didn't remember much about it, and then "Gathering Blue" soon afterwards, but didn't know there were two more in the series. So as soon as I finished "Son" I went back and started "The Giver." Tomorrow my task is to find "Gathering Blue" in whichever bookcase it resides. I know it's in this house someplace.

GenAdFemale

Postby GenAdFemale » Sun 12 Jan, 2014 09:52 am

What did you think of Messenger and Son? I have read The Giver several times and loved it. Gathering Blue I read once and only merely liked it.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Sun 12 Jan, 2014 09:26 pm

I really liked both of them, but I didn't remember anything about the first two, really, so I didn't realize that "Son" kind of recaps and brings it all together. And "Messenger" does, too. I'm almost finished with "The Giver" and never could find "Gathering Blue," so I ordered it from Amazon Friday night, and it was delivered today! I assume it's about Kira, a character in "Messenger." I think I remember not especially loving it the first time I read it.

My daughter said they're making a movie of "The Giver" and we're wondering if they will film the first part in black and white. It would be more true to the story, but no one wants to watch a black and white movie any more. You kids today and your color.

GenAdFemale

Postby GenAdFemale » Sun 12 Jan, 2014 10:25 pm

Maybe they'll film it in really washed out or grayed colors. I hear Jeff Bridges is playing the Giver. I think I will like that. I really liked him as Rooster Cogburn (never saw the John Wayne version of True Grit).

I can't remember if there is a thread for TV shows (nor do I want to go digging in the archives--I'm allergic to cyberdust) but DANG Downton Abbey was difficult for me tonight. I don't know if anyone else here watches it, but I'm a little freaked about what happened to Anna Bates.

Back to books.

I'm reading Inferno by Dan Brown. The best thing about this book is that I can google all the art pieces and architecture he describes and see pictures of them. Other than that, I still haven't gotten into it and I'm half way through. Does it get any better?

lisapants

Postby lisapants » Fri 17 Jan, 2014 03:33 pm

I just watched the Downton episode from Sunday last night, and yeah, I am disturbed by what happened to Anna. I hate that that happened to her. And John would definitely kill the guy if he found out. I have a feeling he's going to find out somehow, though.

I also read Inferno sometime in the last few months, and it's my least favorite Dan Brown book. I still liked it, and it was interesting to learn more about Dante, but yeah. It's also a bit slow.
<------- Ondipants, Babyloo, and Little Buddy

Eric's Fat Brother

Postby Eric's Fat Brother » Fri 17 Jan, 2014 04:10 pm

I'm currently reading (actually, listening to) "One Summer: America, 1927" by Bill Bryson. One of the best books I've read in a while.
Jeff J. Snider
"I'm crazy but I get the job done."
My NEW weight-loss blog

KMD

Postby KMD » Sat 18 Jan, 2014 08:58 pm

I am reading "Grain Brain" by David Perlmutter, MD. Subtitled "The surprising truth about wheat, carbs and sugar - your brain's silent killer". Basically this dude is a neuroscientist and nutritionist, and is drawing a link between gluten and major brain illnesses like Alzheimer's. Also ADHD, which is my main reason for reading it. With all the issues my son has had at school since winter break ended, I'm beginning to suspect a gluten sensitivity, since he basically lived on carbs for that 3 week period. So, I'm starting to reduce his gluten intake, see if things improve. It's got to be less risky than ADHD drugs!
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Mon 20 Jan, 2014 06:33 pm

Yeah, since going low carb, I've noticed that *I* feel a ton better! Granted, we still eat bread--whole wheat homemade bread--but our carb levels in the last six months have dropped dramatically, and we've been able to get better control over my daughter's diabetes. It's not the crapshoot that it's been before. So yeah, I agree that reducing our gluten intake, as a society, would definitely be a good thing.
You're unique, just like everyone else!

SDR

Postby SDR » Mon 20 Jan, 2014 10:17 pm

Lady Celtic wrote:Yeah, since going low carb, I've noticed that *I* feel a ton better! Granted, we still eat bread--whole wheat homemade bread--but our carb levels in the last six months have dropped dramatically, and we've been able to get better control over my daughter's diabetes. It's not the crapshoot that it's been before. So yeah, I agree that reducing our gluten intake, as a society, would definitely be a good thing.

NO! NOT LESS GLUTEN! My sis-in-law has to be gluten free and, thanks to the gluten free alternatives to normally glutentastic products I've tried, I've determined that gluten is from the Latin for "flavor" and thus "gluten free" means exactly what you think.

No, I am not exaggerating at all.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 20 Jan, 2014 10:25 pm

This gluten story has nothing to do with books or writers, but I'm tellling it anyway. A family member of a friend of my sister's passed away a while back, and my sister wanted to do something to help. They had all the food they needed for the funeral, but whoever was in charge decided that they should provide dinners for two days before and a day after, since there would be a lot of family there. (I would think that with that many people just milling around, they might WANT to do the cooking themselves, but whatever.) (Not to mention the many, many people who dropped off casseroles or cakes just because they wanted to do something.) So they told her to bring dinner for 25 people. Oh, and don't forget it has to be gluten-free because one of them doesn't eat gluten.

Wait, 25 people? And spaghetti and lasagna are out? I was glad I was not my sister.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Tue 21 Jan, 2014 08:12 am

Ah, but going gluten-free doesn't mean eating the awful gluten-wannabe substitutes, for us. We have a more brown rice-based, sweet potato based diet. Homey don't do substitutions, because they ain't any good.

Also, going back to the topic of this thread, Binky sent me some lovely books, including Daddy Long Legs and Dear Enemy by Jean Webster. Absolutely charming. Has anyone else here read them?

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 21 Jan, 2014 09:48 am

I have not read those. I will look into getting them. I'm reading Twisted, a collection of short stories by Jeffery Deaver, whose writing I love even though he spells Jeffrey wrong. As he explains, the thing about a short story is that it doesn't have to make the reader happy. He feels that if one has invested the time to read a novel, good and evil have to be resolved in the end, but with a short story, all bets are off. The character who has appeared to be good can suddenly be evil, and vice versa. That being said, these stories are AWESOME. Reading some of them, even after reading what he said, I would be trying to figure out what the twist would be, and I was still surprised. I love it!

I'm also reading the biography of Henry B. Eyring.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Wed 22 Jan, 2014 08:01 am

Hm, Twisted sounds interesting. I'll have to look that up!

KMD

Postby KMD » Sun 26 Jan, 2014 08:39 pm

I'm torn on the whole GF substitutes thing. I've found the pastas are a crapshoot, some are OK, some are awful. But, I've found a pancake mix that cooks up fluffier and tastier than the Bisquik or Aunt Jemima brands I've been using for years! Also, frozen GF waffles are close enough to Eggo's that my kid doesn't notice, and has wolfed them down. Betty Crocker has a GF chocolate chip cookie mix that is actually really good! So, all in all, it's going OK-ish. Unfortunately, I can't tell any change in my kid's behavior yet, but I've been eating it right along with him, and it can tell a noticeable improvement in my IBS symptoms!

Wait, this is supposed to be about books! I re-read Terry Pratchett's "Wee Free Men". It takes place on Discworld, but it's more of a YA Terry Pratchett book. Tiffany Aching, shepherd's daughter & cheese maker, decides she wants to become a witch. And her little brother is taken to a magical land, and she goes to rescue him. It's excellent, like all his books.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Mon 27 Jan, 2014 11:59 am

I love Wee Free Men! I have a love for most of Terry Pratchett's books in general, but that one strikes my funny bone just right. And Small Gods. One of my absolute favorites.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 27 Jan, 2014 12:06 pm

I haven't read any of those. That sounds like something I'd like, though. My list is growing again! Rocky got a couple of Duck Dynasty books for Christmas, and I want to read the one Si wrote, but I still haven't read one of mine, "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close," which was one of the main ones I asked for.

KMD

Postby KMD » Mon 27 Jan, 2014 08:30 pm

Amazon tells me there's a new Terry Pratchett coming out in March, "Raising Steam". It's a Moist Von Lipwig! I love him!

bCurt

Postby bCurt » Thu 30 Jan, 2014 09:02 am

Thanks for mentioning The Giver, Momma Snider! Don't know how I hadn't heard of it until now but I just got finished listening to it and thoroughly enjoyed it in a way I hadn't enjoyed a book in a while. I'll have to purchase a paper copy and recommend the book to my older son and to my daughters in a few years. Guess I'll have to listen to the rest in the series though, if I hadn't known already that they appear in a later book, I would have thought Jonas and Gabe didn't make it through the end but did get to Elsewhere.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 30 Jan, 2014 09:18 am

Son takes place at the same time as The Giver, and then goes beyond. It's interesting to read something that's taking place at the same time, in the same place, as another book. I read them in the wrong order, but that didn't matter. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Thu 30 Jan, 2014 12:36 pm

Killing two birds with one stone, I read Living Low Carb by Jonny Bowden a while back, and his explanation of why living low carb is better for you, as well as his analysis of the various low carb "diets", was informative and yet so, so clear. I really enjoyed it.

Return to “Main Forum”