Blubbermetrics

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

SDR

Re: Blubbermetrics

Postby SDR » Fri 14 Oct, 2011 09:26 pm

Then: 364.4
Now: 363.0

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Tue 18 Oct, 2011 02:25 pm

188/188/185/160

Frustrating not to lose anything this week, even though I've kept up with exercising every day and maintaining my low calorie count. BUT my pants are much looser than they've been in a while, so I'm counting that.
You're unique, just like everyone else!

SDR

Postby SDR » Fri 21 Oct, 2011 11:36 am

Then: 363.0
Now: 359.6

Note: "Now" means (in this context) "four days ago" which was when I weighed myself. And I can't remember for sure if it is .6 (.4 is the other possibility, so I went with the larger number). And it was after being really sick all weekend and having very little food. But it was weight loss, so I'm counting it.

I've said a number of times that I haven't been doing anything proactive to lose weight, which is true. However, I have not been taking care of my chronic health conditions like I should. I know, I know. Anyway, I believe much of the recent weight loss was due to that. Fortunately (or unfortunately as the case may be) I'm back to taking care of that, so hopefully it won't result in too much weight gain. {le sigh}

BUT! Regardless of that, to see my weight that close to 350 is pretty exciting, regardless of the reasons.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Sat 22 Oct, 2011 11:07 pm

I have a sort of theory that I've come up with, just from watching "Biggest Loser" and other shows like that, talking with others and reading about them, and personally experiencing the struggle of losing unwanted weight and getting into healthy lifestyle habits.

It's something like this: there is NO "Diet," whether it's called the South Beach, Atkins, low-fat, low-carb, grapefruit, or whatever, that will be permanently effective until the person lets go of the "deprivation" mindset. I think the whole key to a permanent, lasting, forever, total CHANGE in a person regarding their weight, lies in being able to truthfully say to yourself:
"I love you and want you to feel good, and be healthy for a long time while you're here on earth. I'm going to start taking really good care of you, because you deserve a lean, strong, and healthy body to get you through this life. Your body is the vehicle you have while you're alive. You need and deserve the finest ride possible. Therefore, I'm going to be fueling your body with the things that will make it run better. You'll be eating lots of vegetables and fruits, whole grains, lots of the right kinds of protein, and you're not going to want to put sludge in your fuel line by eating stuff that doesn't provide any nutrients, just mostly fat & sugar. Your body will react to that stuff as if it's poison--because it is. You're not having to "do without goodies;" you're assertively CHOOSING to eat something that is "BETTER than good[bad]dies." And as you shed the weight and move around more and increase your strength and endurance, the more you will be grateful that you love yourself enough to treat it well. The more progress you make in taking good care of your body, the easier it will be to do it, because you'll be feeling better and looking better, and reaching some important goals.

That's really wordy and long. Maybe somebody sharper than I am can distill that down a bit, but anyway, I'm trying to say: You have to be willing to let go of the brass ring, so that you can grab ahold of the platinum & titanium ring. Let go of the pennies in your hands so you can hold the hundred-dollar bills.

I hope that some of my blathering helps someone get a fresh view of him- or herself, and it prompts a renewed resolve to make healthier, more nutritious food choices and get more exercise. Mmmm, LOVE those endorphins when the body is working well!

Okay, the dithering old lady is going to go to bed now. You all take care!
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Mon 24 Oct, 2011 07:27 am

I have been extremely lax in the blubbermetrics thread lately. I fell off the wagon and stopped caring much about keeping stuff in check, and it shows. However, my company started a new "Wellness Program" thing where if you do a health screening and then fill out a wellness questionnaire, then on your first paycheck of the new year, you will get $250. So I did the wellness check, and got some good news and some bad news. Good news: my blood pressure, glucose, and bad cholesterol (LDL) are all excellent. Near ideal, even. Bad News: my weight is back up to 359, my waist circumference is back up to 57 inches, my good cholesterol (HDL) is way too low, and my Triglycerides are high.

So there are a couple of solutions to all of that bad news: diet and exercise. Specifically, I need to cut out some carbs, increase some fiber, and start eating food that is higher in Omega-3 fatty acids. Unfortunately, I really dislike most of the foods that are high in Omega-3s, such as salmon. I do like tuna, though, so I will start eating more of that. Also, I need to start eating more roughage in place of all of carbs I currently gorge on. Also: exercise. I like to make excuses about not having enough time to exercise, what with my work schedule of ~60 hours per week between the two jobs. But the truth of it is that there is a gym at my office for employees, and I need to get out of bed early enough to use it at least two or three times a week.

So that is the first change I have made. I got up on time this morning (5:40) and went to the gym to do my 30 minutes of cardio. It feels good, even though it has made me hungry again since I ate breakfast in the car on the way to the office this morning.

So we will see how all of this goes. Here is what my current blubbermetric looks like:

???/359/330/250
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 24 Oct, 2011 10:12 am

Go Adam! It sounds like you've got the determination, which is what it takes.

I've sunk so low, not gaining but not losing, either, that I bought new, stretchy pants the other day. They're more comfortable, but I would have been just as comfortable in the old ones if I'd just lose even five pounds.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Mon 24 Oct, 2011 02:43 pm

188/184/180/160

The scale was very, very nice to me this morning, so I've had to readjust my short-term goal again. I've been stepping up my activity level while maintaining my calorie goals for each day. The kids are loving it, because it means we're playing on the Wii before our walks.

I'm glad for the progress you all are making, or the changes you're making in your life. It's been helpful to be able to come to this thread and find support and my own online friends who are striving for the same thing. As I told The Hub the other day, I never thought I'd be able to lose weight like this, but I've never tried to be this disciplined before, either. It's nice to see my efforts actually working.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 24 Oct, 2011 04:17 pm

Good going, Lady C! I went back a page or two to see how much you've lost. I'm proud of you!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 24 Oct, 2011 04:21 pm

I was telling one of my coworkers about my daughter, who has recently lost 50 lbs. I didn't know she had that much to lose. My coworker wanted to know if she was on Atkins or South Beach or what, and I told her no, she's COUNTING CALORIES and exercising. I think she's using an app that helps her keep track, but other than that, no gimmicks.

Of course I'm still looking for a magic pill. I don't want it to make me lose weight by magic, but it would be magic if it would help me eat less and want to exercise without keeping me awake at night.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Tue 25 Oct, 2011 03:07 pm

Momma Snider wrote:Good going, Lady C! I went back a page or two to see how much you've lost. I'm proud of you!

Thanks, Momma! If I could make a magic pill for you, I would.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Mon 31 Oct, 2011 07:55 am

184/181 or 182/180/160

The Hub keeps making noises about getting a new scale, but I told him we don't need to. Ours continues to tell me nice things, even though it changes its mind every time I step on it. A new one might not be so nice to me, you know?

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Mon 31 Oct, 2011 08:43 am

Dear Karie Celtic,

A couple of pages back, you were saying you wanted to hit 190 by Thanksgiving. Please do not do this, as it would mean that you would have to start GAINING weight in order to get up to 190. You totally rock, my dear. That is all for now.

Love,
~Auntie Karenin

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Tue 01 Nov, 2011 12:29 pm

Dearest Auntie K--

Thanks! I promise I'll stick with my new revised goal of 180 instead. And any tips on how to maintain my self-discipline through the holidays would be GREATLY appreciated (Tip #1: Don't even THINK about making Apple Carmel Sauce).

Love,
Karie Celtic

P.S. The Hub is so impressed by my progress that he's decided to start tracking his calorie intake too. This is awesome on SO. MANY. LEVELS.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Tue 01 Nov, 2011 01:17 pm

Dearest Karie C,

This is going to sound really silly, but I promise, it has helped me avoid overindulging in holiday meals.

I used to look forward to Thanksgiving because I just loooooooovvved all the many yummy traditional dishes that we only got to eat once a year. When that delectable day came, I always had seconds, and maybe third helpings of those candied sweet potatoes, cranberry salad, stuffing, pumpkin pie with whipped cream! I could hardly wait till the next day, when Mom would heat up the leftovers, and we would have not-quite-as-great-but-still-delicious turkey, gravy, yams, pie, etc.

Then I grew older, and had my own kitchen, and my own rules, and my own traditions.

And I realized that I could, theoretically, bake a pumpkin pie, or have turkey and stuffing and gravy, or make a casserole full of candied yams, ANY DAY OF THE YEAR. I didn't have to stuff myself to the point of pain once a year, to make sure I got enough of those wonderful flavors in my mouth to last me until the next Thanksgiving. If I wanted to have pumpkin pie or pecan pie in June, I could do that, because I was the boss of me. It seems like whenever that realization truly sank into my conscious mind, it turned off some inner "deprivation mode" mindset that I was operating from, and I was able to view the yearly Thanksgiving feast as just one other meal, and one that I didn't have any good reason to stuff down my gullet, because there would ALWAYS be another day, very soon, when I could make the whole meal all over again, if I wanted to.

I rarely followed through, of course, except for sometimes cooking some of the same dishes at Christmas, but I think just having that secure knowledge in the back of my mind kept me from feeling like I had to eat like a pig on Thanksgiving Day.

Maybe this won't even apply to anyone else, because in a lot of families, Thanksgiving Day is more about family and fun than about food. I grew up in a strange household, though, and we were not close with any of our relatives...so it was all about the food. :-(

Love,
~Auntie K

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Thu 03 Nov, 2011 02:57 pm

Auntie K, that is a MARVELOUS idea. I might have to have just a little taste of everything, but maybe I can convince The Hub to split pieces of pie with me, etc., and if we want more, we will go home and make more. Thanks!

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Mon 07 Nov, 2011 11:29 am

182ish/184/180/160

Bugger.

Well, part of it is due to the cold most foul that the fam and I endured last week. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnnnnnnnnnd...we bought the new scale. We are not friends yet. Maybe we'll be friends by the time Thanksgiving rolls around.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Wed 09 Nov, 2011 04:58 pm

I predict that by Thanksgiving, you will not only be friends with the new scale, Karie, but you will have beaten it over the head, given it the Evil Eye, and convinced it once and for all that IT is there in your home to serve YOU, and not the other way around, so therefore you DO NOT FEAR ITS PRONOUNCEMENTS.

And if it refuses to comply with the House Rules, you will have no hesitation about taking its sorry butt right back to the store.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Mon 14 Nov, 2011 11:38 am

184/182/180/160

Well, Auntie K, the scale is starting to play nicely, so I guess I'll keep it around a bit longer. But it only has two more weeks to acknowledge my superiority or BACK IT GOES. I mean, two weeks to show me that I've lost two pounds--is that too much to ask? I think not!

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Mon 21 Nov, 2011 08:17 am

182/old scale: 179, new scale: 181/180/160

Since this is the last weigh in and the scales could NOT agree no matter how many times I stepped on them, I'm calling the difference 180 and my goal ACHIEVED. That feels awesome.

I've been so glad to be able to come here and report, even if some weeks I felt like I was talking to an empty room. Thanks especially to Momma and Auntie K for the supportive comments! They really did help.

I intend to achieve my long term goal by Thanksgiving of next year. To be honest, I hope to achieve it in April or so, but we'll see what really happens. If I can lose 15 pounds in 10 weeks, I can lose 20 pounds in 20 weeks, right? That's the theory, anyway. And I challenge everyone else who still checks in to the board to join me on the Blubbermetrics thread and set a goal, even if it's just one pound. Mostly so I'll have other people to talk to in the new year!

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Mon 21 Nov, 2011 08:28 am

I'm so proud of you, Karie! Believe me, I know how hard it is, just to find the time and energy necessary to make your own health (including weight loss and fitness) a priority, when you have Many Little Folks demanding your time, attention, and ability to function, from the moment anyone is awake.

I'm glad you got to where you are now, and I'll be eagerly cheering you on toward your next goal.

The room is never empty here, even if it appears to be. We're still checking the Board and wandering through the deserted streets of The Village of Nerds, like lonely old drunks looking for an empty park bench. Or something.

Return to “Main Forum”