Blubbermetrics

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

Momma Snider

Re: Blubbermetrics

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 21 Nov, 2011 10:40 am

That's a great visual, KareNin! To me it's like a big old house, and quite a few people still live here, but we go off to work and to school and to the gym (ha) and the house is so big that we rarely cross paths.

I am determined to get below 200 by Christmas. This is ridiculous. I think I'm still so relieved to not be higher that I find myself being happy to see 201, even though I've been there for weeks and weeks and weeks. And of course I occasionally go up a couple of pounds for a day or two, so that reinforces my relief at getting back there.

Card

Postby Card » Mon 21 Nov, 2011 11:57 am

last/this/ST/LT

162/167/159/149

Okay, I'll join you, LC. I had a dream the other day where I had just gotten quite big, and it scared me I confess. I've been having a rough time lately because I love food, and I tend to eat it. I really love food. It tastes good, but I eat more than I need to and I know it. I'm going to try to make better decisions.

I also need to start exercising. I've been so bad at it lately, and it shows. I think if I exercised, my eating would be okay, but it's all the sitting around and not exercising that's really killing me.

Also, what's with my arms? They are so weak, and I need to do pushups or something.

KMD

Postby KMD » Mon 21 Nov, 2011 01:49 pm

I'm here with you too, Lady C. Although right now it's mostly in spirit, not so much in the actual exercising. I've gotten lazy, with both my exercising, and my calorie counting. I got on a scale the other day, and it was 175, and that scared me straight and I started back counting calories, and I lost 3 lbs in 2 days. But then I got a nasty cold, and so did my son, and my husband. And the son went into bronchitis, and the husband's became a sinus infection, and with taking care of everyone, I stopped taking care of myself. And now I'm staring Thanksgiving right in the face, thinking of all the yummy food... I went ahead and made vanilla ice cream for the big meal, and I still need to make maple walnut! So, yeah. If I'm being honest, I'm going to be doing good just to hold steady for the next month or so, with all the holidays and my birthday in there too. But hey, this is what New Year's is all about, right? I will join you seriously in the new year, and will report dilligently.

And Lady C, have I said how proud I am of you for all the progress you've made? Because seriously, you are a super woman to me right about now. Good for you!
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Lowdoggy Dogg

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Tue 22 Nov, 2011 09:18 am

This is such a challenging time of year. I was at an all-time low a month or so ago, but then attended a conference, had another business trip, and I'm looking ahead to Thanksgiving, three weeks of Christmas dinners/events and the Christmas and things are not looking good.

I'm still within 5 pounds of my low, but it is frustrating how easy it is to bounce off of it.

My exercise remains consistent, so from a physical fitness standpoint I am in good shape, but the food...

I'm hungry.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 22 Nov, 2011 03:55 pm

200.5 today. If only it would drop a half pound a day for some months.

The holidays don't affect me too much. I think because I cook so much, I don't want to eat as much at meals. Even when I'm making various kinds of candy, and sampling all of it, I don't eat a lot at regular meals, so the calories come out okay. Obviously that wouldn't be a healthy way to live for very long, but it works for a short time. And we don't go to many holiday parties, thank goodness. When I'm face to face with food I didn't cook, I'm all over it.

The week after Christmas, though, I tend to gain everything back that I might have lost during the month. I'm going to try not to do that this year.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Wed 23 Nov, 2011 08:14 am

Yay! I'm so glad to have company for this next year! And KMD, thank YOU for that most serious compliment, for I know just how far I am from being a superwoman and I am humbled by your perception of me.

SOOOOO, I'm struggling with keeping up with my physical fitness. It's been too cold to take the kids on a walk in the mornings (The Toddler tends to just shiver in his stroller--no matter how much I bundle him up, the wind just slices right through), and it feels like the Wii isn't "real" exercise, even though I move a ton during play.

Since we're this core group of people desiring to at least maintain our weight during the holidays, why don't we support each other in some little goals until the new year, like spending 15 minutes in vigorous activity? Of course, my definition of vigorous is vacuuming the house or taking a walk with the kids or even...playing a game on the Wii. We can check in with each other every week and report how many days we were able to get in some kind of activity. I know it would help me to have someone to hold me accountable for my goal. It always does.

And maybe I could provide a small surprise for whomever has the most consistent success with their maintenance goals. We could start now, state our goals, and run the contest through January 2nd.

I'll start:
My goal is to have 30 minutes of "vigorous" activity 6 days a week until January 2nd.
You're unique, just like everyone else!

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Wed 23 Nov, 2011 08:16 am

Oh, and Auntie K? I loved your metaphor for the board. That is all.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Mon 28 Nov, 2011 09:31 am

Miserable fail on my activity goal for last week. Inertia was my best friend on Saturday. But today is a new day and begins a new week! I will try again.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 28 Nov, 2011 10:09 am

201 last week, 197 today and yesterday! When I'm not working for just a week or two, I stay really busy and don't eat that much, and I lose weight. During the summer, unfortunately, that works for about three weeks and then stops, but last week was good. Now I have to try to keep going even though I'm back at work.

You watch, though. Someone will bring in their leftover Thanksgiving pie, and the party will be over.

So my new immediate goal is to get below 195 for more than a day.

How did Thanksgiving affect everyone else?

Card

Postby Card » Mon 28 Nov, 2011 04:03 pm

I was doing just great (I lost some weight!) until Saturday when we made delicious Asian food for dinner. We had potstickers, spring rolls, and egg drop soup, and I inhaled it all like crazy.

Fortunately, I only put on what I had lost on Thanksgiving, so at least it wasn't a net increase!

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Mon 28 Nov, 2011 04:50 pm

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassiiaaaannnnn Ffoooooooooooddddddd... oh my.

I'm totally grossed out by desserts at the moment. We had my Mom's 90th Birthday Party / Early Thanksgiving / Family Reunion the first weekend of November, and there was such a plethora of desserts that we didn't even make any pies for actual Thanksgiving this year. First time ever in my life.

But Asian food sounds so yummy. Card, if you lost and then just regained what you lost, it's still counted as a weight loss in my book, because you didn't gain weight and then gain more. Stick with me, kid, I'll skew your logic until you can rationalize your way out of ANYTHING!
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 28 Nov, 2011 05:38 pm

Plus, Asian food probably had a lot of sodium in it and so caused water retention, which means it will go away tomorrow. I hope that happens.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Mon 28 Nov, 2011 06:51 pm

Yup. Me too.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Tue 29 Nov, 2011 08:51 am

Thanksgiving? I maintained! Which I found to be awesome, as I KNOW I exceeded my calorie goals on T-day AND on Saturday. Pecan pie--another weakness. Sharing pecan pie with The Hub--HUGE weakness, especially when he adds a scoop of butter pecan ice cream. But he's learning more about portion size and doesn't think that he's doing me a favor by giving me three scoops. That makes me happy.

Yesterday I went to Sam's Club and took my own sweet time. I spent two hours wandering around, getting what we needed (tangent: I only went off-list for three items. That's pretty stinkin' good for me.), talking to my baby, who was strapped to me, and just enjoying the non-rush of my trip. And I totally counted it as my exercise for the day. Today, I'm just gonna have to get on the Wii. Between the family cold and the cold outside, I don't see any other options.

lisapants

Postby lisapants » Tue 29 Nov, 2011 09:57 am

Lady C, I will join you on your activity goal challenge! I really need some motivation to get moving again, and a surprise from LC just might work. And if you win, I'll send you a surprise :D OK, so my activity goal is going to be exercising 5 days/week, where exercise means 30 minutes on the eliptical or walking around the neighborhood with the kids.

I weighed myself this morning and painfully discovered that Thanksgiving week had not been nice to me. No surprise there, considering everything we ate. Time to find the motivation to try to be healthy again.

LW/TW/ST/LT
245ish/251/225/170
<------- Ondipants, Babyloo, and Little Buddy

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 29 Nov, 2011 11:11 am

My exercise goals are sabotaging each other. Yesterday morning I got up early and went for a walk (without Andy -- walks with him aren't worth much) and felt really good about it. But as a result, I had the restless leg thing all night, couldn't sleep, so couldn't get up early to walk again today. I don't know if it's the fibromyalgia or the decrepit hip, but if I get any decent amount of exercise (even for an old woman) it feels awful for an extra two days.

Which means I need to focus on eating less, and we'll see how that goes.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Thu 01 Dec, 2011 07:56 pm

It's a deal, Lisa! Momma, do you want to join us but set your own kind of goal?

lisapants

Postby lisapants » Mon 05 Dec, 2011 02:12 pm

LW/TW/ST/LT
251/248/225/170

Yay for losing weight! I only did 1 of my 5 days of exercise last week. That is what I will be working on this week, getting my exercise in. I've found the best time for me to exercise is right after the kids go to bed, but that's also when I want to do everything else I've been wanting to do, as well. Like crochet Christmas presents. I just need to make myself exercise first (it's only 30 min!) and THEN I can do the other things I want to do.
<------- Ondipants, Babyloo, and Little Buddy

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Mon 05 Dec, 2011 04:40 pm

Holy Moly, Lisa!! That's a fantastic loss!! Good for you; keep up the momentum!

And maybe you can start looking at that 30 minutes of exercise as a wonderful gift to yourself, since it IS making you slimmer and stronger and healthier -- all very good things to give yourself and your family. ♥

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 05 Dec, 2011 05:49 pm

I managed to hang on to 197 for the week, although today I was 198. That usually happens after fasting, though, not because I eat so much to make up for it (which I didn't) but because I don't take my meds when I'm fasting and don't drink any water until afterwards. So anyway, I expect to be back to 197 tomorrow.

Who'd have ever thought that would be a goal for someone as short as I am? But we take what we can get!

Return to “Main Forum”