Blubbermetrics

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

lisapants

Re: Blubbermetrics

Postby lisapants » Tue 06 Dec, 2011 09:27 am

Good idea, Auntie K! I like that kind of thinking. I'll have to remember that.
<------- Ondipants, Babyloo, and Little Buddy

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Tue 06 Dec, 2011 03:44 pm

How awesome that you were able to post a loss, Lisa! You too, Momma! Kudos to both of you!

I managed to get in my 30 minutes of activity for all six days last week--yay! But not yesterday, because I was busy in the kitchen all day prepping our neighbor/visiting teaching/home teaching treats. Though the scale told me very nice things yesterday as well--as in 178 lbs. That's a very nice thing, indeed. Yes it is.
You're unique, just like everyone else!

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Tue 06 Dec, 2011 04:58 pm

Lisa, Laurie, Carrie, Karie and Keri:

I haven't really told you ladies lately how much I love you and am inspired by each one of you, for various reasons, so I'ma tellin' you now.

There are a lot of people I love, 'tis true, but somehow, whenever I read a post from one of you five, I feel like I'm sitting in my kitchen, chatting with a longtime friend. Your struggles are my struggles; your triumphs are mine as well. I am encouraged and cheered when any of you have a weight loss, or are able to accomplish something you've wanted to do, and I feel like just hugging you. (Which I would definitely do, if we were actually in my kitchen.)

Whether it's on Facebook or here in The Village, I just feel so close to you, and so encouraged because of the existence in this world of wonderful women like you!!

Merry Christmas!
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 06 Dec, 2011 05:31 pm

Awww! That's one way that this board is so much better than Facebook, because we feel so much more connected. Merry Christmas to you, too, Karen!

KMD

Postby KMD » Wed 07 Dec, 2011 09:10 am

Awww! That is so sweet Auntie K! And I know what you mean. I feel genuine concern and care for all of you too! It's like you are real friends, not Facebook friends! I send Big Hugs out to all of you! I want everyone here to success in their goals, so we can all be happier and healthier and better able to take care of our families that we love, and be around longer to keep posting on this board.

On the weight loss thing, wow do I fluctuate! As in, the other day my fat pants were feeling tight, so I weighed myself at night, not in the AM like I usually do, and that mean ol' scale said 179! As in, the highest I've ever been, not pregnant. So I went to bed, grouchy about it, and in the morning before my shower, I got on the same scale, and it said 175. That broke my brain. What does that even mean, that I sweat 4lb worth as I slept?!? I'm not a sweaty sleeper!

I'm setting a goal of getting in 5,000 steps a day. I've been monitoring it for a while now, and find I average more like 3,000. What I "should" be doing is 10,000 steps a day, but let's start small and work up, shall we? Monday my pedometer read 4,968, and I'm sure I took some steps that morning before I even put it on, so I'm counting that as 5,000 and VICTORY! :D So far today, 249. I need to get off this couch and put some laundry in or something!

Oh, and for full disclosure. When I say "pedometer", what I really mean is, my son's Pokewalker. It's like a cross between a pedometer and a Tamagotchi. You download a Pokemon from the game in his DS to the Pokewalker, then you "take it for a walk" and the more you walk, the happier the Pokemon gets towards you, and the more he levels up. But the important thing is, it clearly shows how many steps I take, and it actually encourages me to walk. I want his Pokemon to level up, so when I put this on, I make more excuses to get up and move. And apparently I need some form of technology, ANY form, to get me up and moving. LOL! I think if I get some gift cards for Christmas this year, I might just pool them all together and go in for a Fitbit. I'd be less embarrassed wearing that on my hip than a little Pokeball. :D
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Card

Postby Card » Wed 07 Dec, 2011 11:27 am

last/this/ST/LT

167/167/159/149

Thanks, Karenin. My goal in doing this is to hopefully acquire more healthy habits, which I have thus far not done. The numbers are a measurement of my success in that area because I know they will decrease when I have implemented and maintained healthy habits.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Wed 07 Dec, 2011 12:38 pm

See now, Auntie K, this is why I love you too--it feels like our friendship has existed forEVer! Reading your posts here or on Facebook always makes me happy, and usually makes me laugh too. And I'm glad that I can come to you and MommaS for parenting advice--you're both mothers that I look up to. Our numbers may have shrunk quite a bit, but I'm glad that I can count on this core little group to stick around and talk to each other. We must be the ladies that stick around after the party's over because we just don't want the fantastic conversation to end--that's when the real fun happens, I think.

You know, I've been itching to do a Secret Santa with people I know. You guys want to do it? I know it's last minute, but I think we could pull it off! After all, we're very used to sending each other CDs with dead fairies on them....

lisapants

Postby lisapants » Wed 07 Dec, 2011 02:18 pm

Auntie K, and everyone, thanks so much for your love, concern, and support! I feel the same way about all of you, too. I am so grateful for the friendships that have developed here in The Village. I'm glad I've even been able to meet some of you in person! You are all examples to me and I love being part of your (online) lives.

I LOVE staying after the party is over and just talking. Or just listening to friends talk, since I'm not always very vocal. But I love the conversation. And I would be up for a Secret Santa.

iamroch

Postby iamroch » Thu 08 Dec, 2011 09:53 am

last/this/ST/LT
299.0/294.7/280/250

So, last week I learned that I am diabetic. Not surprising given my weight and family history. Anyway, I'm working on making better choices (smaller portions, avoiding carbs, regular excercise). I'm on medication and my glucose levels seem to be responding very well. I'm also playing basketball once a week at church, but having difficulty making time for excercise the rest of the week. Hopefully we'll be able to hire some employees to lighten our load with the pet sitting business.

I want more accountability than just my wife, so I'll post here. I'm choosing Thursdays, cause Bball is Wednesday, so I hope that gives the the best result.

We have a party planned this weekend, so we'll see how that affects things.
Indifference. It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.
-------------
The Mrs.' blog

lisapants

Postby lisapants » Thu 08 Dec, 2011 09:55 am

Wow, good job with the weight loss this week! I'm so glad we can all support each other here.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 08 Dec, 2011 10:58 am

So iamroch, what were your diabetes symptoms? I'm glad you've become aware of it and can get treatment and make the changes you need. And congratulations on the great start!

iamroch

Postby iamroch » Thu 08 Dec, 2011 11:42 am

I actually found out because I was looking into treatment for my psoriasis. They did bloodwork and my glucose level was 350. We had been concerned previously, because of wieght and family history, but my glucose previously was elevated, but not to diabetes.

One of our pet sitting clients is an endocrinologist and she was able to see me that day. My A1C was 9.3, soshe put me on 3 oral meds, which really seems to be helping.

As for symptoms, I was hungry and thirsty all the time and always tired, but I usually get 5 hours of sleep, so i thought that was the cause. I also use the bathroom a lot, but I drink a lot of water. My skin is dry and itchy, but I have psoriasis, so I thought that was/is the cause. I'd also lost about 30 pounds over the course of a year, but I had kind of set right around 300 for several months. Looking back I can see the syptoms, but nothing screamed at me that I needed to get checked.

I'm glad that I found out, it's been motivating. I know it's early and a quick start, I just want to continue and become healthy.
Indifference. It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

-------------

The Mrs.' blog

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 08 Dec, 2011 01:28 pm

I've been known to wish I'd get diabetes because of the initial unexplained weight loss. Well, not so much wish it, but that would be a bright side if I did get it. (Of course that's totally stupid, and I didn't really think it for more than a second. It was like when I wished I'd have to have chemo so my hair would fall out and I could just wear a wig already.) My mom was diagnosed when she was 55, but had probably had it for quite a while. They didn't have insurance, so she hadn't been to the doctor. And then she had her first stroke just a couple of months after the diagnosis, which is what makes me think she'd had it for a while. I'm older than that, but I do see the doctor regularly because of the Wegener's, and so far, so good.

With the family history of diabetes (mom, brother, three out of four grandparents) it is very bad for me not to be taking better care of my health, specifically my weight.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Mon 12 Dec, 2011 09:33 am

There's a history of diabetes in my family too (my kid had it coming from both sides, poor thing), but does my lovely aunt do a thing about it? Precious little, aside from checking her blood with The Diabetic when we come to visit. I do hope you find the motivation to take care of yourself, MommaS, so that we can have you around for a good long while.

And iamroch, it is really hard to spot diabetes unless you know what you're looking for, since the symptoms are so easily explained away. My daughter was in DKA (diabetic shock, I think is the layman's term for it)--she was having trouble breathing and staying awake--when we finally figured out that something was really, really wrong. I don't recommend finding out that way.

Now on to the maintaining part of our program. I didn't manage to get activity in until Thursday, but from Thursday through Saturday, I got at least 20 minutes and usually more than an hour in. However, I also ate too much, but my numbers look something like this:

178/177/170/160

I want to achieve my short term goal by my birthday (Jan 30) so that I can take my birthday money and go clothes shopping. But I also want to make and eat lots of fun treats (this is something I struggle with all year long, but especially at Christmas time). Le sigh. Life hard.

lisapants

Postby lisapants » Tue 13 Dec, 2011 09:20 am

I didn't get a chance to post this yesterday, so I'll do it today before I forget.

LW/TW/ST/LT
248/248/225/170

No change in weight, but I did exercise 3 out of 5 days. I'm remembering how much I like how I feel after I exercise. I just need to watch what I eat. Like Lady C and many others, I love making yummy holiday treats and eating them. I'm just trying not to go overboard...

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 13 Dec, 2011 01:00 pm

I'm slowly slipping the wrong way, but still under 200. And I did the Wii Fit this morning! It had been a couple of months, and I only did 13 minutes, but better than I've been doing. Now that it's officially too cold to enjoy walking in the morning, maybe I'll make it a habit again.

KMD

Postby KMD » Mon 19 Dec, 2011 09:16 am

I got in 6,000 steps yesterday! And I tracked in on my new Fitbit Ultra. They had them on sale at Best Buy, and I had a gift card from my birthday last year, so I ended up paying only $24 for it! Hooray! It tells me how many steps I take, how many floors I've climbed, calories burned, and miles walked. It is really helping me get moving.
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

lisapants

Postby lisapants » Mon 19 Dec, 2011 09:30 am

LW/TW/ST/LT
248/245/225/170

Yay for more weight loss. I exercised 1 out of 5 days because then I got sick, which left me with no appetite, so I didn't eat a lot, hence the weight loss, I think. My head is still a bit fuzzy from still having a cold, so I don't know if any of this is making sense. I hope it is.

And yay to KMD for finding something that helps you move!

Card

Postby Card » Mon 19 Dec, 2011 12:47 pm

last/this/ST/LT

167/168/159/149

Only exercised once, ate lots of treats, didn't get enough sleep, etc. At least I made it easier to do better this week!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 19 Dec, 2011 02:42 pm

I have kind of been too stressed since my brother died to want to eat much, but food keeps being there and I keep eating it, trying to make myself feel better. Plus, even though this week is the week I'm usually running around and not eating, I'm basking in having so much family here, so I'm doing more sitting than running.

Whatever.

My granddaughter just said, "Let's eat as much fudge as we can on Christmas!" That's my girl!

Return to “Main Forum”