The joys of working with the public

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

quidscribis

Re: The joys of working with the public

Postby quidscribis » Tue 08 Sep, 2015 08:38 pm

It really depends on where you are.

In Singapore, renting the master bedroom of a four-bedroom apartment costs around USD1400 per month, a bedroom with a shared bathroom can be around USD800+ per month. Renting a 110 square foot apartment is around the same. Renting a 525 square foot studio is around USD3200 per month. Staying at a hostel can be as cheap as USD300 per month. A cheap hotel can be as cheap as USD800 per month (on a quick search). The benefit of the hotel is that no damage deposit is required (usually) and you don't have to be vetted by the landlord to the same degree as if you were renting a room or an apartment.

We considered staying at a hotel when we first moved to Singapore. We ended up in an AirBNB place instead - it had a kitchen.
There's no better form of government than a dictatorship when you're the dictator.
-Fahim Farook

Walking the World
Me on Instagram
Me on Twitter
Me on Google+
Me on Facebook

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 09 Sep, 2015 09:34 am

I think welfare will give a voucher for a certain number of emergency days in a motel. That's how she was staying in the first one. Then I think when the welfare transferred to this county, they gave her another 16-day voucher plus enough money for first and last month's rent and security deposit on an apartment. The 16 days should be time enough to find an apartment. Unfortunately, it will also be enough time for her to spend all the money on hair extensions, if she is so inclined. I would hope that the money would be in a more secure form of payment, so maybe she used another source of income for the extensions, as in what I suspect she does at night, but if she has even a little bit of other money, she should use it to buy pop tarts or something so that her kids don't have to come to school hungry on the mornings when she oversleeps and brings them after free breakfast is over at school.

And two weeks ago I was feeling SO sympathetic!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 01 Oct, 2015 11:34 am

Same kids I was talking about in the motel. I don't know where they're living, because the kids have been told what to say, but they come filthy, and every day they come in and ask for socks, because their feet are uncomfortable. (We've given them shoes, too.) We're out of socks, and I asked yesterday if their socks are all in the laundry, and the older one said, "We haven't done laundry in a LONG time."

Mom won't answer her phone.

Ha ha! But I just enrolled a boy whose first name is Angel, and his middle name is Deamonn. Why, oh why?

SDR

Postby SDR » Thu 01 Oct, 2015 01:29 pm

Momma Snider wrote:Ha ha! But I just enrolled a boy whose first name is Angel, and his middle name is Deamonn. Why, oh why?

My first thought is an illiterate fan of Joss Whedon's Buffy the Vampire Slayer & Angel television programs.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 29 Oct, 2015 12:20 pm

Today was awful. Two police officers from LAPD came and picked up a little girl who was enrolled her by her dad and his mom, but apparently the maternal grandma has custody. The dad had just gotten out of prison, but the mom is out of the picture completely because of drugs. The poor little girl was screaming and fighting and really didn't want to go, and she said her grandma is mean, pulls her hair. It was horrible.

SDR

Postby SDR » Thu 29 Oct, 2015 02:30 pm

I get that laws regulate these things, but surely there could have been a better way than sending police officers? Seems to me that a trained social worker might have been a better choice (I'm not saying the officers did anything wrong, mind you, but it still sounds better in my head).

If the police should have been doing anything, it should have been arresting the father & paternal grandmother who illegally (apparently) took the child away from the other grandmother.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 30 Oct, 2015 11:19 am

I absolutely agree! They should have at least sent a female officer, seems like. I don't know for sure it would have helped, but it couldn't have hurt. I dreamed about her last night, that I had a chance to talk to her, and she begged me to help her. I laid down on the floor next to her and told her it's just that so many people love her, and they all want to be with her. She calmed down and smiled and said, "This girl knows all the angles!" But it was only a dream.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 29 Sep, 2016 09:25 am

Today a parent turned left out of the parking lot and ran right over the Right Turn Only sign, smashing it to smithereens. Ironic. And I can't be everywhere, but if I'd been outside I'll bet I would have known who she was. We can't even get a description of the car, even though there were plenty of people out there.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 11 Oct, 2016 01:40 pm

Hahahahaha. A mom came in to pick up her friend's child. She said his name is Daniel Bravo. We don't have anyone by that name, but we do have a Marcos Bravo in the same grade. She was adamant that his name is NOT Marcos. Okay, a lot of parents call their kids by their middle names, and this kid's middle initial is D, so I called him up. Meanwhile, I pulled his birth certificate and found that his middle name is, indeed, Daniel. But when he got to the office, he didn't know the lady, and she said that was not her friend's son! I have no idea who she wanted, but just a hint, if you send your friend to get your kid, she needs to know his or her name. (You also need to tell the school your friend's name, but we didn't even get that far this time.)

Crazy.

Return to “Main Forum”