The joys of working with the public

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

Momma Snider

Re: The joys of working with the public

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 05 Feb, 2014 12:01 pm

Crazy dad, possibly bipolar but more likely self-medicated with various under-the-counter products. This morning he came in to rant about how his daughter took home a library book three years ago that was all torn up, and they tried to make him pay for it, but the principal had cleared her so she can bring them home again, but she's still not allowed to and he wants to know WHY!

Librarian says she checked out two books just last Friday. Teacher says she wasn't supposed to take them home on dad's orders, but she allowed her to take one home just yesterday because she went home sick. Huh? Just yesterday? And this morning he's here asking why she can't? This little girl is a habitual liar, and they believe every word she says. Maybe she has already lost the book under her bed.

It is so annoying when parents won't even consider the possibility that they're not getting the whole story.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 12 Feb, 2014 11:01 am

Today a kindergartner came to school wearing women's size 8 boots, the kind that lace up and have about a 1" heel. We have a lot of extra clothes for such situations, so the teacher sent her up to the health office, where Renee, the nicest person in the world, found her a pair of shoes that fit. Then she called the mom just to let her know, so she'd remember to pick up the boots when she picks up the kid.

The mom totally went off on her, about how she's interrupting her and she's busy and (my personal pet peeve) "I'm a single mother!" What in the world THAT has to do with it is a mystery, but it's no mystery WHY she's single. She was just horrible, not mad that Renee changed the shoes, but that Renee had dared to butt into her day by calling her. I really wanted to call her back, and keep calling her every five minutes, just to ask, "What would you be doing now if you hadn't had to answer the phone?" But that would be bad, wouldn't it?

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Wed 12 Feb, 2014 05:37 pm

ROFL! Momma, you're mean! I so respect that. :P
There's no better form of government than a dictatorship when you're the dictator.
-Fahim Farook

Walking the World
Me on Instagram
Me on Twitter
Me on Google+
Me on Facebook

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 13 Feb, 2014 10:17 am

The ONLY reason I didn't do it is because it would have made matters worse for not only Renee, but my poor principal, who is dealing with a few different issues involving irrational, angry people. And I know I'd have felt bad later, especially if I ended up yelling at her.

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Thu 13 Feb, 2014 05:47 pm

Oh, I know. In reality, I wouldn't have done it, either. But it's fun to think about. :)
There's no better form of government than a dictatorship when you're the dictator.
-Fahim Farook

Walking the World
Me on Instagram
Me on Twitter
Me on Google+
Me on Facebook

GenAdFemale

Postby GenAdFemale » Mon 17 Feb, 2014 04:25 pm

My boss (aka my brother) and I occasionally daydream about what we'd like to say to the people who come to or call our office and who don't seem to have a firm grasp on reality. One guy called me up complaining about his appointment being so far out (a week, which he was VERY LUCKY to get because we are actually scheduling 6 weeks out). He started off a few complaints with "well I called my mom and she said...."

The guy was my age (46). I would have pegged him for about 8.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 21 Feb, 2014 11:56 am

Ha! Here's a minor one: People who call me to ask for a phone number (happens a lot, because I remember them) and after I start to tell them, they start looking for a pencil. Hey! You called to ask for something you were going to write down, so couldn't you have found the writing utensil before you called?

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 04 Mar, 2014 02:51 pm

It seems like we're enabling parents more and more around here. Now a mom demanded a meeting with the special ed teacher as well as her child's classroom teacher. It was scheduled for 12:30. At 12:38 we called her to see if she was coming, and the consensus is that "we" should have called to remind her. Come on, man!

And the district is making a new rule that absences can only be cleared within five days. I don't care about that either way, since if the child is absent, we don't get money from the state no matter what the reason, but now I'm going to be expected to call each parent the day the child is out to remind them they have to clear it. I had 81 absences last Friday, because it was raining. (Well, I assume that's why -- only 14 of them called.) It's just one more area where we're removing the responsibility from the parents. When I was a kid, my mom wrote a note when I returned to school. (Or when I was in high school, I wrote my own, but that's a different story.) :)

bCurt

Postby bCurt » Tue 04 Mar, 2014 03:22 pm

Oy! No personal responsibility required these days.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 04 Mar, 2014 03:37 pm

Yeah, bcurt, I don't know if you've been around while I whined about all the free stuff we provide these days. I haven't talked much about the backpack program this year, because I'm luckily not too involved this time around, but it's even more outrageous than last year. The premise is that there are children who are going hungry on weekends, so we send food home with them every Friday. First of all, the vast majority of them have food stamps and are NOT going hungry, but we go along with it because it helps the donating group feel good, and it makes the kids happy. This year we give out 60 of them every week, more than 10% of our student population. They are supposed to return the empty backpack on Monday, so it can be collected on Tuesday and returned, full, on Thursday. But if they don't return it, WE GIVE THEM ANOTHER ONE because we don't want to hurt their feelings. I seriously think this donated money and effort could be much better used to feed actual hungry people, but this is the easiest way for them, because we do the screening and choosing. And that's hard!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 02 Apr, 2014 09:56 am

This one was funny. I got a call yesterday morning from a mom with a really heavy India accent (I thought she was going to offer to fix my computer) who said she had just received a call from us. That happens all the time, they miss the call but don't listen to the messages. It's further complicated by the fact that the number that shows up is the district number, not the school. Anyway, I could hardly understand her, but she said her child's name was Eric something, sounded like Naver. I looked up all our Eric's, with all possible spellings, and none of them were hers. I clarified that this was Elsinore Elementary School, and she repeated it and agreed. I looked on the district database, and the last name didn't show up, either. I asked her to spell it, and she said N-A-V-E-R, but I also tried Never and Navar, because I still couldn't understand her. I finally just told her he doesn't go to this school, and we hung up.

She called back a few minutes later, as if we'd never spoken, and started the same conversation. I told her we had already talked, and the child just doesn't go here. I asked her if there's any other name he might go by, and she told me to try N-E-V-A-R instead of NAVER, but still no dice. I finally thought to ask for her address, and once I deciphered that, I was able to tell her what school her child should attend. Still, it was mysterious that I couldn't find the name. I was able to check the household that lives at that address, and found out it's NaZer, not a V in the middle...oh, and the child's name is not Eric, the one word I heard clearly, it's Fahid.

And I totally misidentified the accent. They're from UAE. But I did not mis-hear the name Eric. That is what she said.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 27 May, 2014 09:56 am

A first-grader broke her arm on May 2 at an after-school activity. The mom didn't take her to the ER until the 6th. They put on a temporary cast and told her to see an orthopedist the next week for a permanent cast, which is pretty standard direction. She went to that appointment on the 15th, but they kept her waiting too long so she left. Over this past weekend, the temporary cast was bothering the girl, so the mom took it off, and this morning she put it back on...the wrong arm!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 25 Aug, 2014 09:53 pm

An overweight, very large kindergartner has been refusing to get out of the car. Friday the mom went ahead and took him home, but today she didn't want to do that, and heaven forbid she should stay in class with him until he feels comfortable, or at least for a few days, so she asked "someone in the office" to come out and pull him out of the car and carry him to class. Um, no. So then she asked if we could at least get him a bag of chips to entice him out of the car. Not only does she want to bribe him (which hey, if it's what works, who am I?) but she wanted US to provide the bribe! Life is not likely to go well for this child.

lilcis

Postby lilcis » Mon 27 Oct, 2014 09:09 am

Momma, your posts make me sad for humanity :(
Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be. Michael Scott

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 30 Oct, 2014 11:27 am

The nurse just had to send a kindergartner home because he was throwing up. The mom came to get him, and said that he had thrown up all over the car ON THE WAY TO SCHOOL, yet she still left him here.

SDR

Postby SDR » Thu 30 Oct, 2014 12:04 pm

Some people need to retake their "allowed to have children" exam, or something.

Back when we first got custody of Stanley, he was complaining about having an upset stomach the morning of the first day of school. Given that a big part of the reason why he came to live with us was because of how much school he had missed previously, we assumed that he was faking sick or just nervous, so we took him to school. We were smart enough to bring an empty ice cream bucket with us, which he used about half way there. So I finished driving him to school, went in, excused him from the first day, then turned around and took him home. Maybe I should have assumed he was fake vomiting and just left him there anyway.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 30 Oct, 2014 12:59 pm

I hated when I thought one of my kids was faking or just exaggerating to get out of school, and then it turned out they were really sick. Chris had perfect attendance in seminary his freshman year, but it was SO hard for me to get him up every morning. And then the first day of school the next year, he told me he had a sore throat, and I said, "I can't DO this again this year!" I told him he could go to seminary, and if he was still sick afterwards he could come home. Well, he did, and he had strep throat. Good mom.

My daughter Laura got sick her first day of kindergarten, while she was at school. I picked her up at the end, and she said she hadn't told anyone. She thought about going to one of her brothers' rooms, but she knew her teacher would worry if she didn't see her. Poor baby. She had a fever and ended up missing two more days.

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Thu 30 Oct, 2014 06:43 pm

I was always sick in school. I missed a good 1/3 of the school year due to illness every single year. Oh the fun.
-Fahim Farook

Walking the World
Me on Instagram
Me on Twitter
Me on Google+
Me on Facebook

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 30 Oct, 2014 07:53 pm

I remember staying home from school a few times because of illness, but I don't remember ever having to be picked up because I was sick at school. I do remember lying in the nurse's office once in 6th grade with a stomach ache, but that was back when I always got a stomach ache if I drank milk in the morning, but my mom said it was all in my head, and we didn't know until years later that lactose intolerance was a thing.

Jersey Girl

Postby Jersey Girl » Fri 31 Oct, 2014 10:15 pm

I got sent home in second grade on Halloween because I was sick. I don't remember what illness I had, but I remember feeling bad I couldn't go trick or treating or walking in the school costume parade.

Another time I had a choir concert in 6th grade. I fought my mom about getting ready for it and was dragged to the concert. I wasn't feeling well. While I was waiting in a class room for us to go on, I laid my head on a desk and a concerned teacher asked me if I felt sick. I did. The teacher ran and got my mom and grandma from the audience. My mom thought I was faking the whole thing since she knew I didn't want to perform. When we got home from school, I opened the car door and threw up in a nearby bush. She believed me then. I got to the day off the next day. It was a stomach virus so I wasn't that sick on my day off. I'm sure she felt really bad about it.

The final time I was sent home sick is because I almost fainted in physics class. I had gym the period before and it was back before it was cool to carry a water bottle with you everywhere. I was dehydrated. I always carry a water bottler when I exercise today because of that incident.
"Chicken legs were moved, roads were crossed, motives were questioned."--EFB

Return to “Main Forum”