The joys of working with the public

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

Momma Snider

Re: The joys of working with the public

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 20 Apr, 2015 10:32 am

I got yelled at by a crazy mom, the one we’ve had so much trouble with because the kid comes late and often is here for an hour after school. She was supposed to come to a meeting at 9:05, so at 8:55 I called to remind her. She didn’t answer her cell so I called the home number and spoke to the person they live with. All I told her was that I was trying to find ____ to remind her of a meeting. Apparently they don’t get along, so she was snippy to the mom when she gave her the message, so the mom called here to chew us out. She started in on T, wanting to know who would release personal information to some random person, and T tried to calm her down but finally passed her to me. She kept hammering on the “random person” thing, saying she just needed to stand up for all the single moms that I might be doing this to, giving out information to strangers. IT’S THE HOME PHONE NUMBER. I finally quit trying to get the point across, apologized for not knowing she didn’t get along with her roommate, and asked for at least the fifth time if she wanted me to take that number off. She still hesitated, but finally said yes. OH, and of course she wasn’t able to come to this very important meeting.

And a few minutes later she called back to apologize. She still said she was worried about other single moms who might get this treatment, and I reassured her that all I had told the woman was that she had a meeting. I did not go into how it annoys me when people use “single mom” as an excuse for irresponsibility. I really hate that, especially when they have several kids by several fathers and no marriage in the history. In those cases, no one made you a single mom except you.

(And don't get me wrong, I would never want to be a single mom, there are problems I can't even imagine, I'm sure, but don't complain about having to do all the laundry and grocery shopping and carpooling, because that's what those of us with perfectly good husbands did all the time, because he was working.)

SDR

Postby SDR » Mon 20 Apr, 2015 10:44 am

She makes it sound as though there is some law against reminders for meetings. Had you done nothing more than left your name and phone number and asked for a return call, she'd have gone just as bat crap crazy, probably.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 20 Apr, 2015 11:08 am

Yup. Crazy is pretty much her middle name.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 24 Apr, 2015 01:30 pm

Remember the kid with the knife whose mom thought the principal overreacted? Well, today he and another kid kicked the bathroom stall door until the screws came out, which of course bent it all up. Principal called mom, and her only question was, "Who saw it happen?" Not even "Who was with him?" or "someone must have told him to do it" which is a common comment around here.

She's grooming this kid to go to jail!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 28 Apr, 2015 11:15 am

Our first-graders are going on a field trip Friday to San Diego Wild Animal Park, or whatever its current name is. It's about a 90 minute trip on the bus, so several parents have refused to let their kids go, which is their right and doesn't bother me. (Seven of them are probably afraid to have them pass the Border Patrol station on the way back, which also doesn't bother me.) But many other parents want to go with them, so many that they wouldn't all fit on the buses. Any adult going has to have a background check, fingerprints, and a TB test, which all can take two or three months. So there are 21 approved, including the teachers, for about 90 kids. And today several more are trying to circumvent the process and get approved, going to the district office to complain and whine. One of them has a felony arrest and will probably NEVER be approved to be in charge of little children, but he's still trying to find someone who will approve him. It's annoying, and my principal is really mad.

SDR

Postby SDR » Tue 28 Apr, 2015 12:58 pm

If he were to be approved, just think how many more parents would refuse to let their children go! It could solve some problems (while creating others).

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 28 Apr, 2015 02:17 pm

EXACTLY! The principal keeps trying to explain that the district has these procedures in place to protect the children, along with "You want to be sure that we check everyone who will be with YOUR child, right?" But of course they all think they should be an exception.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 15 May, 2015 10:47 am

It's funny when people pull into a parking lot and see that the only spaces available are handicapped stalls, so they won't pull in...but they will straddle it so no one else can park there, either, and they block all the traffic behind them.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 19 May, 2015 09:13 am

We have an eight-year-old who had leukemia when he was in kindergarten and was very sick while he was having treatments. He seems to be doing pretty well now, although he still has to be watched closely because he's still on some medications. WELL, yesterday he came in with a headache and said he hadn't had breakfast. (That ends up being our problem WAY too often, even though free breakfast is available here at school if they get here in time, but that's beside the point.) The health clerk called the mom, and she said he didn't need to be picked up, he needs someone to tell him to stop drinking so much coffee, and she wanted the health clerk to do it.

It seems like more and more parents are expecting the schools to raise their kids, but this might be one of the worst. This kid is filling up on coffee in the morning and then has caffeine-withdrawal headaches, and mom thinks the school should make him stop?

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 19 Aug, 2015 11:17 am

This morning, fifth day of first grade for this little girl, she was throwing up at home so Mom didn't let her eat breakfast because she figured she'd just throw it up anyway. SO SHE SENT HER TO SCHOOL 1)WITHOUT BREAKFAST AND 2) THROWING UP.

Poor little thing went to P.E. first thing, drank her whole bottle of water, and started vomiting again, but Mother of the Year had to go to work so she didn't want to pick her up.

I understand that it's hard when you're a working mom. I do. But this is one of the things you have to work out with your friends and relatives ahead of time.

SDR

Postby SDR » Wed 19 Aug, 2015 02:19 pm

Obviously you're just part of the education establishment trying to convince us that school *isn't* just for free daycare for working and/or lazy parents.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 27 Aug, 2015 11:13 am

So. Much. Stupid. We were swimming in it yesterday. Parents who don't know their phone numbers, addresses, friends' phone numbers or last names, don't know the names of the kids their friends have asked them to pick up (seriously, do you know how many "Junior"s and "Buddy"s we have here? Not to mention "Juanito" and "Chewy"?) and all the parents who change their phone numbers over the summer, and those are always the ones who can't remember to actually give us those new numbers.

And then, after a day full of stupid, I heard on the news on the way home about a man here in Lake Elsinore, 43 years old, who found a rattlesnake and picked it up to take a selfie with it. It bit him, and he will probably lose his hand. Can't blame that on Lake Elsinore, but it fit the day.

SDR

Postby SDR » Thu 27 Aug, 2015 01:15 pm

Did you mean IQ of 43 when you said age of 43?

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 31 Aug, 2015 10:14 am

We occasionally have parents with legal custody of their kids, and the other parent is not allowed contact, or only on weekends, or only supervised, or whatever. We have to have court papers for that, but even without it, if we think there's a danger, we will at least call the custodial parent if the other one shows up and let them fight it out. (I only had that happen once right here in the office, and I did not like it. Didn't help that the dad was a guy I'd had a crush on in high school, and his ex just about reduced him to tears.)

But most often, there is no legal paperwork, probably was nothing legal to start with, so either parent has as much right as the other, really. Today a mom came in to say not to let the child go with the dad, EVEN THOUGH THE DAD HAD THE CHILD AND WAS THE ONE BRINGING HER TO SCHOOL. This was about 15 minutes before school was to start. A few minutes later she came back and said he had just driven past and didn't stop, so she wanted me to call him and tell him he had to bring her to school. I said I'd wait and see if he did, indeed, bring her, before I did anything like that. A few minutes later, still before the bell rang, the girl came in with McDonald's pancakes. I sat her down outside the office to finish eating, but the mom tried to following, yammering into her phone about how "he kept on driving" and "he can't do that" and blah blah blah. I told her the little girl doesn't need to hear that, but by that time she had the girl crying. It just makes me so mad when they can't keep their arguments to themselves!

KMD

Postby KMD » Mon 31 Aug, 2015 07:20 pm

That is just... argh! People, get it together, for your kid's sake!

A co-worker told me the other day that after one week of Kindergarten, the school called him (private, Catholic school) and told him to come pick up his kid. Then, when he arrived, they gave him his tuition money back and said not to bring him back, ever. So, basically he got expelled from Kindergarten. When I asked what the boy did so bad, he just hemmed and hawed that the boy's mom is crazy, and he's not been exposed to other kids, at all, and doesn't know how to behave around them. She has super sheltered him, she's a germaphobe, and he hasn't been allowed to play outdoors, or touch grass. And she kept him on a pacifier until age 4, to ensure he didn't put anything dirty in his mouth, so his speech isn't fully developed. It's just a mess of a situation.
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 01 Sep, 2015 11:27 am

That is a mess. It's amazing the harm parents can do to their kids when they think they're protecting them, especially if the protectiveness comes with a little crazy on the side.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 04 Sep, 2015 08:47 am

This didn't involve a parent, except peripherally. Yesterday there was a company on our side street, contracted by the City to trim the trees. We weren't aware they were here; it was none of our business. Except when a mom came rushing in to say that they were stealing our traffic cones. Our side street is blocked off during arrival and dismissal times for the safety of the children. Turns out these guys finished their tree trimming and just gathered up the cones, about 15 of them.

If I'd been the mom, I think I'd have stopped them, rather than coming all the way into the office to tell on them, but at least she also looked at the truck. I was able to call the City and ask them to get the cones back. I said I knew it was a mistake, as in probably it was one guy's job to put them out and another's job to pick them up, so he didn't realize they weren't his, so there was no embarrassment or awkwardness or anything. Anyway, I felt like a problem solver when a guy from the city yard brought them back this morning!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 08 Sep, 2015 03:32 pm

This one is kind of funny, I guess. I was feeling so sorry for this homeless mom with three kids. She was living in a motel and last Wednesday was to be her last day there. I really considered asking if she wanted to come stay with us, but that wouldn't work because my husband works from home, and actually, since I don't really know her, I wouldn't want her staying there if he WASN'T home, either. Wednesday afternoon she didn't come to pick up her kids, and that's when we finally found out she wasn't even registered at the motel, but was probably registered under her boyfriend's name, who she hadn't even told us about. He finally came and got the little girl, two hours late. And the next day the mom came in to give us the address of the new motel where she's staying, and she had HAIR EXTENSIONS. Yes, hair extensions. Apparently she got her welfare check, finally, and that's how she spend a chunk of it. I still feel sorry for the kids, but not for her. Some people are homeless for a reason.

SDR

Postby SDR » Tue 08 Sep, 2015 04:02 pm

I probably have a default bad attitude about people who live in motels in homelessness situations because of my experience with my youngest's other family unit. I need to work on being more charitable.

KMD

Postby KMD » Tue 08 Sep, 2015 06:45 pm

I just don't get how that works. Last year we had to live out of a hotel 5 days out of 7, and figured out basically 2 weeks in the hotel was as much as 1 month's mortgage. So, how does someone who can't afford a house pull it off? Granted, we weren't in the cheapest hotel in town, but still!
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Return to “Main Forum”