The joys of working with the public

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

lilcis

Re: The joys of working with the public

Postby lilcis » Mon 03 Nov, 2014 10:42 am

In middle school (7th or 8th grade) I once faked sick and sat in the nurse's office to get out of a history presentation. It was a partner project and we had made a little video of a court scene using barbie dolls. I was embarassed by it and didn't think we'd done a great job, so I left my poor partner to present it on her own. I don't think she ever spoke to me again, not after yelling at me anyway.
Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be. Michael Scott

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 03 Nov, 2014 12:26 pm

Once a girl gets over Barbies, she's usually WAY over them. I was in 5th grade, and I used to have a whole overnight case full of Barbie clothes that my aunt had made. I would go to my cousin's house right after school got out in June, and that year I showed up with my little case -- my aunt had even made me a fur coat! -- and my cousin said, "I don't play with Barbies any more. I like The Beatles now." And just like that, I started reading Beatle magazines and cutting out their pictures to plaster all over my walls and never picked up my Barbie again. I assume my sisters got the clothes and the one doll.

So yeah, I'd have been embarrassed in 7th or 8th grade, too, although after that, once it was obvious that you didn't actually play with them, it probably would have been okay.

lilcis

Postby lilcis » Mon 03 Nov, 2014 12:41 pm

haha, Momma - actually I think I played with Barbies until well into the 9th grade. It wasn't the Barbies that embarrassed me, it was the horrible production value of our little film!
Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be. Michael Scott

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 03 Nov, 2014 01:38 pm

Did you have younger sisters? I'm sure I would have played with Barbies longer than I did if it hadn't been for my cousin, but by 7th and 8th grade I thought I was way too old. We were in elementary school up through 8th, so the 7th and 8th graders really thought we were hot stuff.

I really got back into Barbies when I had my little girls. I put shelves in their room, hoping they would make Barbie houses and stuff. I don't think they were nearly as much into them as I was as a kid. But they didn't have all those awesome clothes my aunt used to make for me. Seriously, every time she sewed something for herself, which was all the time, she would make Barbie something. Lingerie, bathing suits, the fur coat, stylish dresses. And, as I said, I only had the one doll.

lilcis

Postby lilcis » Mon 03 Nov, 2014 02:18 pm

I had one younger sister, but she was always a tomboy, never into Barbies. My aunt worked for Mattel while I was growing up so I had TONS of Barbies. We are both still collectors today, still a little obsessed I guess. :lol:

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 03 Nov, 2014 02:46 pm

I got quite envious of the girls when my daughters were little, for having such a variety of Barbies to choose from. My girls had a few, not a lot, but when I was a kid, there was just Barbie in dark hair or blonde hair, Ken with no choices, and Midge, Barbie's friend, who had freckles.

I remember when I almost got my first Barbie. My dad had a store that sold some toys as well as furniture and appliances and records and whatever. There was one Barbie, and my dad knew I wanted it and that my mom intended for me to get it for Christmas. But on Christmas Eve, a lady from church with one very spoiled daughter came in and bought it. This girl seriously had an entire room full of dolls and did not need MY BARBIE, but she got it. My dad would never turn down a sale.

I did finally get one, maybe for my birthday six weeks later. She had black hair.

Jersey Girl

Postby Jersey Girl » Mon 03 Nov, 2014 06:12 pm

Lilcis...my 4th grade self is totally jealous of you for having an aunt who worked at Mattel.

I know I lost interest in Barbies in middle school some time. Maybe 7th or 8th grade. I even had the Barbie magazine. I had a few as a kid and they had rocking 1980s style. I used to make my own clothes for Barbie with hair ties and hankies my grandma would pick up at garage sales. I had some of the older ones. I remember being mad at our new puppy at the time for using Barbie's legs as a chew toy. The last Barbie I owned was a wedding edition Barbie. I got her in 9th grade. I thought her dress was beautiful. I just mostly kept her on a doll stand.

My sister used to collect the holiday editions. My mom tracked one of the first ones down for my sister because they were pretty popular at the time. She was so mad when she found out my sister later sold it.
"Chicken legs were moved, roads were crossed, motives were questioned."--EFB

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 12 Nov, 2014 02:39 pm

A kid got in trouble for something fairly serious. Coincidentally, his mom was here to pick up his kindergarten sibling, so the principal called her in, the boy admitted it to both of them, and she took him home. The grandma came storming in 10 minutes later and is now in the principal's office just reaming her, because the poor boy is crying. That's the best possible outcome with things like this, because it shows he knows he's in trouble (and hopefully is resolving not to do it again) but Grandma's not going for it. Is it any wonder he keeps doing things that get him in trouble?

SDR

Postby SDR » Wed 12 Nov, 2014 03:27 pm

Grandma's name isn't Cathy by chance, is it? Sounds like something my son's maternal grandmother would do.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 12 Nov, 2014 04:19 pm

She was in there for a half hour! As she left she was saying, "I'll tell my daughter that next time she needs to tell me the whole story!" Uh, yeah, you should have learned that when SHE was in school!

One of her issues was that she wanted to know what was going to happen to the other kids. Principal told her they hadn't done anything wrong, and she didn't like that at all. And she never tells one parent what another child's punishment is, because it's none of their business. But that's usually the first question they ask, when they find out their child is being disciplined.

SDR

Postby SDR » Wed 12 Nov, 2014 07:07 pm

Sandee has that problem frequently (or so it seems), esp this year that she's dealing with a behavior unit. "How is the other kid going to be punished?" "I can't tell you. All children are dealt with appropriately." Then an email goes to the administration. YAY!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 13 Nov, 2014 09:31 am

Here's a funny one: four brothers named Daviddd, Day Vide, Dave Vide, and Daveed. Guess what their dad's name is? You got it in one!

lilcis

Postby lilcis » Thu 13 Nov, 2014 10:20 am

WOW.

SDR

Postby SDR » Thu 13 Nov, 2014 07:49 pm

I'll guess his name is "Stupid Idiot".

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 13 Nov, 2014 08:50 pm

Or Superinflated Ego.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 14 Nov, 2014 10:36 am

Remember the kid who bit me a couple of months ago? Well, I just found out that his dad was trying to sell beer at the PTA's Harvest Festival recently. He was asked to remove it from the premises, but he wouldn't do it until he was threatened with the police. Is it any wonder the kid doesn't see any need to obey rules?

SDR

Postby SDR » Fri 14 Nov, 2014 03:05 pm

Must be genetic.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 05 Dec, 2014 02:53 pm

I was on an interview panel this morning for four hours. It was tough, but one lady made it fairly easy, when we asked her how she handles conflict with other employees. Her answer: "I'd go to their supervisor, and then I'd go to the union."

Oh, and one lady asked (on the same question) "Do you want the truth, or should I say what you want to hear?"

I like Immediate Fail answers when there are so many candidates.

SDR

Postby SDR » Fri 05 Dec, 2014 06:40 pm

"I'd tell them to go @#$% themselves!"

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Sun 07 Dec, 2014 12:35 am

Another of the candidates said, "I make it a point to oversee all the gossip in the office." We assumed she meant "overlook," but oversee was funnier.

Return to “Main Forum”