Employment

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

Audrey

Re: Employment

Postby Audrey » Fri 17 Dec, 2010 02:42 pm

Scott, that's wonderful news! I'm a teacher and my husband is an unpaid intern (with a very part-time job delivering packages for Fed*Ex), so I know well the kind of financial stress you're talking about. Hearing your story gives me hope. Thank you for sharing it with us!
If you smile at me I will understand, 'cause that is something everybody everywhere does in the same language.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 17 Dec, 2010 05:34 pm

That is great news! I hope it works out the way it sounds.

SDR

Postby SDR » Fri 17 Dec, 2010 06:38 pm

And here is the rest of the story:

We've had five full time developers at work for the last couple of years. In July I was cut back 60% (as I was most senior and that reclaimed the most money for the company, and my main project was in maintenance mode). Other non-developers were cut back as well from 20% to 60% and I think a couple of other people were laid off at the same time. Needless to say, morale hasn't been high.

Just before Thanksgiving one developer left for another job. Today another gave two weeks notice, and there is a strong expectation that a third will be giving notice in the next 30 days.

And that is why they can afford to double my hours and pay.

So at this point, Sandee and I will try to live on the same amount we have been and bank as much as we can. We really need as close as possible to a fully funded emergency fund, because I still don't have a lot of faith in my employer's long term prospects.

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Sat 18 Dec, 2010 03:37 am

Sounds like a good plan.
WiseNLucky

Horizontally gifted since . . . .

SDR

Postby SDR » Fri 27 May, 2011 01:08 pm

And the end of one saga (and the beginning of another): I received an email a few weeks ago out of the blue from an HR person with a company in Draper. She'd found me via my Linkedin profile, so glad I had that out there. Anyway, I had a phone interview and two in person interviews over the last several weeks and got a full time permanent offer last night. It's not as much as I was making full time (though I haven't been full time for almost a year now) but it is more than I was making at 4/5ths time. So it is progress. I gave my two weeks notice this morning and start the new position 13 June.

The position seems much more suited to my skill set. My first project will involve writing some fairly low level library code (which I enjoy more than user interface or database driven code). And there might be an opportunity for me to continue doing some consulting for my current-soon-to-be-old employer and make up any difference in pay (and then some).

The only part that I don't care for at this point is that my commute just got longer. According to Google Maps, my current commute is 45.2 miles (which I didn't care for to begin with). My new commute will be 50.7 miles. Not a *lot* longer, but longer. I've been told there will be telecommute opportunities after I get up to speed, and my wife and I are contemplating moving down to south Salt Lake county, and I'm contemplating switching to mass transit so that I can get some things done en route rather than burning two hours a day behind the wheel.

Even with the potential downside of the longer commute I think this is an awesome opportunity and I'm very excited. Thanks to all of you for your concern and prayers and such over this past 10 months. (Only 10 months? Feels longer...)

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 27 May, 2011 01:34 pm

That's great news! Good luck!

Card

Postby Card » Fri 27 May, 2011 04:38 pm

That is exciting! Hooray for you! Sorry your commute got a little longer, but at least it's not much longer, and at least you don't have to move to Alaska or something.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Sat 28 May, 2011 05:22 pm

OOoooohh. Coolness, Scott! Especially the part about moving to where you can ride the choo-choo to work instead of driving. Tom used to ride the MetroLink to & from work when we lived in Simi Valley, and it was a huge benefit to him to be able to use that traveling time on stuff for work, or even just reading for pleasure.

Until then, though, the difference in your driving commute isn't enough longer to get upset about, really. Not like going from 5 miles to 30, or anything.

Glad you're excited about the job!
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

SDR

Postby SDR » Sat 28 May, 2011 05:51 pm

You are correct, the difference between old and new commute is nothing to be upset about. I was more upset when my old employer moved about 10 to 15 miles further from home a couple years ago now.

I've looked into the commute on the train and most of it isn't bad. I can drive from home to the train, ride it 30 to 35 miles to Salt Lake, then take the light rail to Sandee. The hard part for me becomes the last 18 blocks or so, as the new job isn't near (enough) to a bus line for me, and I'd be increasing my commute from about an hour each way to about two hours each way. That part I dislike.

I wonder if it would be permissible to leave a car at the park & ride lot near work. Probably not.

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Tue 31 May, 2011 07:06 am

I'm surprised that you actually got a benefit out of your LinkedIn profile. I mean, I have heard apocryphal stories about that happening to other people in the past, but never to someone I (virtually) know. Good times. Maybe I should go and update my LinkedIn profile and hope that someone wants to pay me more money.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

SDR

Postby SDR » Tue 31 May, 2011 08:49 am

Surprised the heck out of me, too. I only ever created the Linkedin profile as a favor to friends so that I could create recommendations for them at their request, and just about the only thing I ever do with it is echo my tweets as status updates. All the world's a stage, you know.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Tue 31 May, 2011 09:28 am

The Hub works at the local LDS Employment Resource Center and says that LinkedIn is best used as a networking tool. But a person can't just post a profile and accept friends--he says that serious users have to interact, especially in asking people they're friends with to look over their resumes and make suggestions of places that are hiring.

Also, since he's in the employment center, the stories of people getting jobs wherein LinkedIn was helpful are a little more than apocryphal, but that's just statistical context for you.
You're unique, just like everyone else!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 31 May, 2011 09:40 am

Someone keeps requesting that I join her on LinkedIn, or whatever it is they ask people to do. I have no idea what kind of work she does, or wants to do, I haven't known her since she was a teenager, and she's now 37, and my circle of connections is very limited. I wish she'd quit asking. She just picked my name off Facebook.

But I'm glad it worked the way it's supposed to for you, Scott!

SDR

Postby SDR » Tue 31 May, 2011 03:28 pm

I don't think it worked out for me the way it was supposed to, I think I completely lucked out. But I'll take it! :)

Also: My apologies to all for using further instead of farther. Stupid English language...

KMD

Postby KMD » Wed 01 Jun, 2011 06:45 am

Congrats SDR on the job!
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

SDR

Postby SDR » Mon 18 Nov, 2013 08:34 pm

Almost 2.5 years on the job. Still love this company. That is all. :)

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 18 Nov, 2013 11:06 pm

That is good.

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Wed 20 Nov, 2013 06:08 pm

Really good. :)

My husband has had a fair number of job offers because of his LinkedIn profile, but none that paid enough that we took it. He currently works for the business we own, he works from home, and he's paid very well thanks to him being in mobile development, which pays well in general. Some other company would have to pay him very very well for him to want to work in an office, wear office clothes, and commute.

But Twitter? That's where he gets most of his clients. Twitter's worked out very very well for him. :)
There's no better form of government than a dictatorship when you're the dictator.
-Fahim Farook

Walking the World
Me on Instagram
Me on Twitter
Me on Google+
Me on Facebook

Return to “Main Forum”