Happy Eric's birthday! And Totally Stupid Day!

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

Momma Snider

Happy Eric's birthday! And Totally Stupid Day!

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 26 Aug, 2010 08:49 am

Happy birthday to my first-born son in the wilderness. Labor was totally stupid, but having you was one of the smartest things I ever did! I hope you have a wonderful day, the total opposite of last year's birthday, and I hope you live happily ever after!

Does anyone remember why it's Totally Stupid Day? Because I don't. But then sometimes I'm totally stupid.

Lowdoggy Dogg

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Thu 26 Aug, 2010 08:56 am

I tweeted him Happy birthday, as he commanded.

lisapants

Postby lisapants » Thu 26 Aug, 2010 08:57 am

Happy Birthday Eric!
<------- Ondipants, Babyloo, and Little Buddy

Audrey

Postby Audrey » Thu 26 Aug, 2010 09:09 am

Happy Totally Stupid Day! :D
If you smile at me I will understand, 'cause that is something everybody everywhere does in the same language.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Thu 26 Aug, 2010 03:11 pm

I don't remember the original reason it was called Totally Stupid Day (Reeder, where are you?), but in 2010, it's called that because I don't know how to tweet.

Honest. It's a long story, but I am stuck with a phone that doesn't even have a Qwerty keyboard, so when I text somebody, I have to do it the old-skool way, pressing the "3" key once for d, twice for e, three times for f, etc.

For obvious reasons, I don't text much, so I don't have a Twitter account.

Despite my Totally Stupidness (not to be confused with total stupidity, which is a disease I don't usually admit to having), I do wish Eric D. a wonderful HAPPY BIRDDAY TO YOU, with wishes for lots of fun presents and cake and peanut butter / chocolate combinations. And butterscotch.

Wonder why the Board's Spell-checker doesn't like the word "combinations"? I think it's a fine word.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 26 Aug, 2010 03:16 pm

Wouldn't you think his own sainted mother would have sent him some treats? I guess I got stressed at the beginning of the week. I do hope he gets some soon, though.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Thu 26 Aug, 2010 04:17 pm

Happy Birthday and a fine Totally Stupid Day to you, sir!
You're unique, just like everyone else!

lisapants

Postby lisapants » Thu 26 Aug, 2010 04:36 pm

If I recall correctly, Totally Stupid Day came from an Angry Reader/Comment who was disparaging the day Eric was born as being the stupidest day in the world. Or something like that.
<------- Ondipants, Babyloo, and Little Buddy

SDR

Postby SDR » Thu 26 Aug, 2010 05:40 pm

Happy Birthday Eric. Also dutifully tweeted. Mildly more humorously. I hope.

Ryan Reeder

Postby Ryan Reeder » Thu 26 Aug, 2010 05:50 pm

Somebody say my name?

lisapants has pretty much got it. The longer answer (no, not that long; sheesh. Some people never forget) is that after writing this Snide Remarks column for the unnamed newspaper back in 2000: http://www.ericdsnider.com/snide/born-on-the-24th-of-july/ about the oddities of Pioneer Day celebrations in Utah, Eric received the following letter. This is quoted from the article:

The day after Pioneer Day, I returned to the office to find this letter having arrived by U.S. Mail. It bore all the markings of a crackpot: no return address, no signature, and typed in all-capital letters. Its content merely confirmed this (I have de-capitalized it for easier reading):

Dearest Eric,

I know that you were not making fun of the pioneers, but I do know that you were making fun of us who honor the pioneers. You were slamming those of us who take a day and celebrate what they did for us. [Here I have learned something: If I spell out specifically what I am NOT making fun of, I need to spell out EVERYTHING I'm not making fun of. In this case, I wasn't "slamming" the idea of celebrating the pioneers; I was just saying that Utahns over-do it.] How grateful I am to have special days, even though I appreciate them all year long.

[Apparently, I came across as anti-holiday altogether, because listen to this paragraph:] So, whatever you say I will continue to visit my parents grave on Memorial Day. I will continue to honor those I love on Valentines Day. I will continue to celebrate birthdays with cake and balloons and parties. I will always wave a flag on the Fourth of July for our freedom. [I believe I specifically mentioned THAT holiday as one I was in favor of] I will always attend Pilgrim plays and give thanks on Thanksgiving. I will continue to give gifts in honor of my Savior's birth. I will still make green pancakes on St. Patrick Day to honor my Irish heritage. I will even blow a born and throw confetti on the first day of every year. Oh yes, and by the way, I will still honor you on 'Totally Stupid Day.'

I hereby declare Aug. 26 -- my birthday -- as "Totally Stupid Day." It is a day to honor me and all other people deemed "stupid" by those who misunderstood them. Celebrate stupidity on Aug. 26! Totally Stupid Day will totally rule!

Since Totally Stupid Day was declared July 22, 2000, and today is August 26, 2010, Totally Stupid Day has now been around for 10 years and been celebrated 11 times. This is somewhat remarkable. So I'm remarking on it. Somewhat.

Oh yeah, and while I'm here, Happy Birthday Eric.
[url=http://ryanreeder.blogspot.com/]http://ryanreeder.blogspot.com/[/url]

Lowdoggy Dogg

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Thu 26 Aug, 2010 06:24 pm

Well done Reeder!

RenLass

Postby RenLass » Thu 26 Aug, 2010 08:05 pm

Happy Totally Stupid Birthday, Eric! I hope it is a wacky and fun day. Thanks for founding this Village of Nerds all those years ago. It is always a pleasure to visit it.
When the devil reminds you of your past,
remind him of his future

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Fri 27 Aug, 2010 06:54 am

KareNin wrote:For obvious reasons, I don't text much, so I don't have a Twitter account.

Just as an aside, you need not text your Twitter updates. You can just go to Twitter.com and post tweets there to your heart's delight.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Fri 27 Aug, 2010 08:56 am

Really?!?!?!?!?! (*wipes excited drool from chin*)

I honestly did not know that, Adam. Thank you!!!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 27 Aug, 2010 11:17 am

I learned that recently, too, KareNin. What I don't know now, though, is how to tweet a person directly. All I know how to do is read Eric's.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Fri 27 Aug, 2010 11:49 am

Is Eric following you too, Momma? Here's the Help Page for Twitter:
http://support.twitter.com/groups/31-tw ... message-dm

Card

Postby Card » Fri 27 Aug, 2010 12:58 pm

You can also put an @ in front of their name, and it will tweet them, not show up on the follwers' feeds but show up on yours. I am going to try to find you two now.

~Zesdy~

Postby ~Zesdy~ » Fri 27 Aug, 2010 04:24 pm

I'm a day late... but that's why I'm here.

Happy birthday, Eric!

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Fri 27 Aug, 2010 07:02 pm

I did it. At least, my twitter feed says I did; if I fail to get a personal thank-you from Eric for the birthday wishes, I'll know it got to him just fine.

EricDSnider

Postby EricDSnider » Fri 27 Aug, 2010 07:26 pm

Thank you, one and all, for your birthday wishes! I had a very lovely Totally Stupid Day, and tonight I'm having a gathering in Portland with my Portland peeps. Thank you for your tweets, telegrams, and semaphore messages (INCLUDING YOU, KAREN).

Return to “Main Forum”