Homemade gift ideas

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

KMD

Re: Homemade gift ideas

Postby KMD » Mon 11 Oct, 2010 11:19 am

I also agree with Karenin on everything, except Peter Tork! Come on, everyone knows Davy Jones was the hottest Monkee!
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 11 Oct, 2010 11:42 am

I always liked Mike Nesmith. I knew Davey was out of my league because EVERYONE liked him best, so I had no hope. But then Mike was married, I think. Same situation as the Beatles -- my true favorite was everyone's favorite, and the one I could have settled for was married.

Bless my little 11-year-old heart.

EthanBeckstead

Postby EthanBeckstead » Mon 11 Oct, 2010 02:51 pm

KareNin wrote:
EthanBeckstead wrote:Is that better Karenin? Completely off topic now.

(Watch and learn, Gr[I can't express myself without swearing]hopper.)

lol.

KareNin wrote:I've heard people claim this about vinyl records before, and in my humble opinion, those people who say that are blowing smoke that is probably laced with illicit substances. I grew up listening to vinyl records, both 45 RPM and 33 1/3 RPM. There are countless songs whose lyrics I just could not distinguish clearly on vinyl, but as soon as I heard them on CD, the clarity of the lyrics was such that I could hear the words for the first time and understand them clearly. Also, I could hear individual instruments in the musical accompaniment that were sort of just lost in the background on vinyl.

I think SDR's comments are good. If you have a good sound system, then some people may hear better sound from vinyl than from a CD. The big difference with a CD is something Momma pointed out. The Vinyl begins to deteriorate the minute you first begin to play it, whereas a CD will retain perfect quality, sometimes even while scratched.

If I turn on my geeky voice, then I would say,... However, the Vinyl starts out with perfect quality of sound, and the CD suffers from instant degradation, depending on the sample size. True that as the vinyl wears out, the musical wave forms get smoother and smoother (meaning the sounds are changing slightly), and the CD never changes from the original. If it was originally bad, it continues to be bad, and if it was originally really good, then it continues to be good -- although never perfect.

As I said before, I just can't hear the difference. My neighbor treated me to Sargent Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band on a VERY NICE stereo, using a rarely played vinyl record that was mastered at half-speed (i.e. twice as good as most vinyl records). It was also done on a special surface that lasts longer, etc. My neighbor said it was 1 of only 50 made that year and he was really proud of it. Apparently it was worth a couple hundred bucks. I listened to that side-by-side with my MP3 version of the same song. Sounded the same to me! :)

Too bad. maybe I have bad ears.

Now to take it totally off-topic (or is it back on topic?) here are some great home-made gift ideas: Except they're not exactly home-made.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Mon 11 Oct, 2010 06:32 pm

It amused me greatly that the automatic little Profanity Gremlin that is coded into the Board has busted both Momma Snider and me, which I observed only in the past 10 minutes or so.

Her crude language consisted of the words "h-a-r-a-s-s" and "h-a-r-a-s-s-m-e-n-t" (TWO violations), while my salty language was "G-r-a-s-s-h-o-p-p-e-r."

BWA HA HA HA HA HA HA. You youngsters and your squeaky-clean language!

Edited to add: Oh my. KMD is a potty-mouth too. I hadn't read the Blubbermetrics thread yet when I posted this comment, but now it is clear that the younger generation needs some soap in the mouth as well. Keri said "a-s-s-u-m-i-n-g" and didn't even blink!

Also, I was already taller than Davy Jones when The Monkees started as a band. I loved Mike best because he was funny as heck and had a Texas drawl, but if I had to choose one of them as a friend now, I'd definitely choose Peter. I think he has a fine character as a human being, and I'm not so sure about the other 3. Plus: those dimples.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Mon 11 Oct, 2010 06:42 pm

Audrey wrote:
ImAdhis wrote:
EthanBeckstead wrote:The article is a little dated (it mentions a "roll of film" instead of a digital camera.. does anyone really use rolls of film anymore?)

I have a few professional photographers for neighbors, and one of them is world-renowned for using film exclusively.

So, yes.

Aaaand I'm guessing that would be Jonathan Canlas? His work is really, really beautiful.

Aaaand you'd be correct.
www.NewMoneyMama.com

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 11 Oct, 2010 07:33 pm

Yeah, Peter Tork is and was adorable.

Audrey

Postby Audrey » Tue 12 Oct, 2010 07:37 am

I totally had a picture of Peter Tork hanging above my bed when I was a kid. He was always my favorite Monkee.
If you smile at me I will understand, 'cause that is something everybody everywhere does in the same language.

Lowdoggy Dogg

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Tue 12 Oct, 2010 08:03 am

ImAdhis wrote:
Audrey wrote:
ImAdhis wrote:I have a few professional photographers for neighbors, and one of them is world-renowned for using film exclusively.

So, yes.

Aaaand I'm guessing that would be Jonathan Canlas? His work is really, really beautiful.

Aaaand you'd be correct.

This is weird, but he dated my wife for a little while.

He is a great photographer. He did my sis-in-law's wedding.

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Tue 12 Oct, 2010 01:18 pm

Lowdoggy Dogg wrote:
ImAdhis wrote:
Audrey wrote:Aaaand I'm guessing that would be Jonathan Canlas? His work is really, really beautiful.

Aaaand you'd be correct.

This is weird, but he dated my wife for a little while.

He is a great photographer. He did my sis-in-law's wedding.

Hm. I will pretend Jon never dated anyone besides his own wife as I love her very much.
Yeah- he's talented and works hard at his skill. He inspired another photographer in the 'hood to stretch and start using film as well.

Lowdogg, what are your sister-in-law and husband's first names? Maybe I can find their wedding on his blog.
www.NewMoneyMama.com

WiseNLucky

Postby WiseNLucky » Wed 13 Oct, 2010 06:18 am

Lowdoggy Dogg wrote:This is weird, but he dated my wife for a little while.

What's weird is that you let your wife date. :lol: :lol: :lol:
WiseNLucky

Horizontally gifted since . . . .

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Wed 13 Oct, 2010 07:47 am

www.NewMoneyMama.com

Audrey

Postby Audrey » Wed 13 Oct, 2010 02:45 pm

If anyone is curious: http://jonathan.instaproofs.com/

My brother's wife's best friend had her wedding photographed by him. Scroll down to Brianna & Adam's wedding (it's next to last in the list). He only has a few of their photos still up because it was a couple of years ago, but you get the idea and they were AMAZING. The wedding was at the San Diego LDS temple and the reception was nearby, and the way he captured the light and the landscape was phenomenal. An acquaintance of mine through another message board has more of her photos up -- it's under Swift/Adams dated 5/08/10. Totally gorgeous, pregnant, tattooed bride. :) I also love his Birth Story albums.
If you smile at me I will understand, 'cause that is something everybody everywhere does in the same language.

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Wed 13 Oct, 2010 10:49 pm

Audrey wrote: An acquaintance of mine through another message board has more of her photos up -- it's under Swift/Adams dated 5/08/10. Totally gorgeous, pregnant, tattooed bride. :)

Aaah. I know of which wedding you refer to. I had made a comment to him about it on his blog and told him not to publish my comment. He published it. I promptly deleted it.
www.NewMoneyMama.com

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Fri 15 Oct, 2010 12:17 pm

Speaking of Canlas, he just posted one of the most moving photo shoots I have seen in a while.
http://canlasphotography.blogspot.com/2010/10/pitcher-family.html
www.NewMoneyMama.com

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 20 Oct, 2010 03:03 pm

I'm going to crochet snowflake ornaments for Christmas presents for my coworkers, if I get busy with them...

steelem

Postby steelem » Wed 20 Oct, 2010 06:10 pm

You could buy my handmade little girls' dresses, which I am not advertising here, because it's against the rules, so don't buy them, or whatevs, I'm not breaking rules...
Friendship doesn't make you fly, jellyfish do. Duh.

lilcis

Postby lilcis » Thu 21 Oct, 2010 12:22 pm

steelem wrote:You could buy my handmade little girls' dresses, which I am not advertising here, because it's against the rules, so don't buy them, or whatevs, I'm not breaking rules...

I think the rule is that you can advertise your goods provided you are a productive member of the board in other areas, too. I'm pretty sure you fulfill that requirement, steelem, so post away!
Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be. Michael Scott

steelem

Postby steelem » Sun 24 Oct, 2010 12:41 am

Well, in that case, buy my dresses! Woo woo woo!

Or for you So Cal peoples, come say hi to me at the Queen Bee Market in three weeks in San Diego. I'll be half alive and mostly brain dead by the time I get there, but yeah.
Friendship doesn't make you fly, jellyfish do. Duh.

KMD

Postby KMD » Thu 17 Nov, 2011 08:06 am

I thought I'd resurrect this old post, in case anyone has any ideas for homemade Christmas presents, since 'tis the season and all...
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

lisapants

Postby lisapants » Thu 17 Nov, 2011 09:25 am

I am crocheting a bunch of hats for my aunt to give to her grandkids. I'm also trying to think of something quick I can crochet for my nieces. They got hats last year...
<------- Ondipants, Babyloo, and Little Buddy

Return to “Main Forum”