Homemade gift ideas

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

Momma Snider

Re: Homemade gift ideas

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 17 Nov, 2011 09:58 am

I'm running a little late on homemade gifts for coworkers, so I probably will end up (again) not doing it, but if anyone has any new ideas, now would be the time! I never did crochet the snowflakes, so I guess that's a possibility. Also KareNin's Caramel Apple Jam, or just jars of caramel sauce. I am considering making enough peanut butter balls and fudge for the entire staff, about three each for 60 people, too. Bagging them up would actually be the hardest part, and that's not THAT hard.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Thu 17 Nov, 2011 03:18 pm

Lisa, scarves are always good! And Hobby Lobby has the softest yarn that's relatively inexpensive--it's called I Love This Yarn! And they're right!

For homemade gift ideas, I've been trolling through Pinterest. The site itself is a time-sucker, but I've found so many good ideas to implement! I'm very excited. If you want an invite, let me know.
You're unique, just like everyone else!

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Thu 17 Nov, 2011 03:26 pm

Lisa, ideas from oneprettything.com--

Crocheted Skinny Scalloped Scarf:
http://www.creativejewishmom.com/2011/1 ... scarf.html

Mini Crochet Flowers:
http://growcreative.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... orial.html

I saw an amazing baby blanket on Flickr made entirely of crocheted flowers. It was BEAUTIFUL.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Thu 17 Nov, 2011 10:24 pm

AWfercryin' outloud...

I never DID make those 5 handmade gifts I lied on Facebook and said I would do before the end of the year. Do you guys think it would be okay if I made a big batch of my Caramel Sauce and sealed it up in jars and sent those? My left hand is totally not being hayve anymore. I can hardly bend my fingers; can't grip anything or hold onto anything with it. Can't pick things up off the floor. It aches from the middle of the palm deep down clear through the back of my hand, and each of the individual fingers hurt like the bones are shattered or something.

In related news, I have a whole great huge supply of silk floral supplies, jewelry-making / beading supplies, and Wrapture Therapeutic Heat Wrap supplies, including a giant plastic bin of fabric, that I am not going to be able to do anything with if my stinkin' hand doesn't shape up. It's like having a Bob Dole hand attached to the end of my arm.

So-- Caramel Sauce okay, y'think?
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Fri 18 Nov, 2011 08:24 am

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, caramel sauce. I know I wouldn't complain.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 18 Nov, 2011 10:24 am

Karen, is it arthritis in your hand? Is there nothing they can do? When such a crafty person as you can't use the hand any more, that's awful. Besides the pain, I know that's terribly frustrating. Mine hurts really bad at the base of my thumb, so I can't pick up heavy objects or push buttons (dealing with Ryan's car seat last week was the hardest part of the whole week) but at least it's only my thumb. I hope you get some relief somehow.

In the meantime, I think Caramel Sauce would delight anyone.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Sat 19 Nov, 2011 01:42 pm

Well, I think it's just the arthritis, but it has suddenly gotten about 100 times worse than it ever was before. Or maybe that's an exaggeration, but it's a LOT worse, while my right hand (and all the other parts of me that also had arthritis) seems exactly the same. So it's bizarre.

I need to find a different doctor. There just aren't many to choose from in our network here, without driving to Scary Columbus, so I haven't switched to someone else yet.

Besides the pain in every position, which is new, the physical functioning of my fingers and hands is very diminished. I think that bothers me more than the pain. Having a suddenly-almost-useless left hand, as a lifelong Southpaw, is very frustrating.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

lisapants

Postby lisapants » Mon 21 Nov, 2011 01:37 pm

Lady C, I love that yarn, too! It's what I usually get if I have to buy new yarn. Have you heard of Ravelry.com? It is a site for knitters and crocheters to keep track of their inventory, supplies, and projects they are working on. They also have a huge database of patters that I love to look through. I have three pages of projects in my queue that I want to try out. There is a simple scalloped scarf that I made for a friend earlier this year that I think my nieces would like, too. The scarf you linked to reminded me of it.

Auntie K, I'm so sorry about your hand. That is so frustrating, as well as painful. My crocheting lately has seemed to give me a bit of carpal tunnel. I went to the doctor and got a wrist brace, but it still sucks to know that the thing I love to do is also hurting me. Oh well, I just pace myself and try not to do overdo it...
<------- Ondipants, Babyloo, and Little Buddy

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 18 Feb, 2014 01:47 pm

I am bumping this thread so I will see it when I get home and open some of the links that won't open here at work. Because wouldn't it be fun if I started making Christmas presents now? Or even during the summer?

Return to “Main Forum”