Donations for Madison Mecum

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

Eric's Fat Brother

Donations for Madison Mecum

Postby Eric's Fat Brother » Wed 13 Oct, 2010 09:38 am

Those of you in Utah might have heard about this; outside of Utah, maybe not. Either way, it's close to home for me, so I wanted to post something about it.

Last Thursday, a 13-year-old girl named Madison Mecum was hit by a car and killed as she waited at her bus stop before school. The car was being driven by another 13-year-old girl, who had taken her aunt's car to drive herself to school and apparently mistakenly hit the gas when she meant to hit the brakes. Heartbreaking stuff for both families.

Five years ago, Madison's father, Gregg, died in a car accident. At the time, I lived near the Mecums and attended church with them. It was a terrible thing, and the thing I remember most about it was the strength that Paige (Gregg's wife, Madison's mom) showed through it all. It was very inspiring.

In the five years since Gregg died, there have been two other major events in their lives. Madison's older sister had some sort of spinal infection that almost killed her, and while she appears to be fully recovered, the medical bills were ridiculously oppressive. Also, Paige invested $290,000 (most of it life insurance from Gregg's death) with a reputable financial advisor, who then invested it in a Ponzi scheme and had it all stolen. So the family was already facing huge financial challenges; the cost of burying their sweet daughter was one more brick on the pile.

Anyway, the community has rallied around the Mecums and started collecting donations for the family. I have donated some already and am looking into my finances to figure out if I can donate more. Yesterday at the funeral, Paige was once again a pillar of strength, comforting Madison's friends and family members with the most peaceful look on her face. She wasn't smiling, and it might have been an act, but I walked away in awe of her strength and her spirit.

You can get info on how to donate at:
http://madisonmecum.org/

Or you can go straight to Pledgie and donate there:
http://pledgie.com/campaigns/13712

There are a couple other ways listed on that first link, including a phone number to call Zions Bank to donate.

I know times are tough, but I also know that there's not much point in me having a message board if I can't use it to plug things that are important to me.
Jeff J. Snider
"I'm crazy but I get the job done."
My NEW weight-loss blog

Return to “Main Forum”