Merry Christmas to All

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

Lady Celtic

Re: Merry Christmas to All

Postby Lady Celtic » Thu 12 Dec, 2013 01:49 pm

Two weeks? TWO WEEKS?! I'm not sure I'm ready for that yet. THOUGH I did get to the post office on Tuesday and sent off ornaments and gifts for far-flung friends and family. So that's done. The crocheted fox scoodie for my 8-year-old? Not done. Not even halfway done. I'd better get crackin'.
You're unique, just like everyone else!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 12 Dec, 2013 02:48 pm

Scoodie? Is that a scarf/hoodie? That looks like a fox, or is made out of a fox? Sounds adorable, and yes, you'd better get busy on it!

I don't have anything more to make, but I only made a couple of things to begin with. I remember those days of yore when I made all kinds of stuff, and enjoyed it. This year I did a counted cross-stitch thing for my one daughter-in-law, pretty sure I already gave one to the other DIL years ago. The one I made for myself and numerous other people 20-30 years ago was stretched in a hoop with lace around it, but when I went to Walmart to buy a hoop, THEY DON'T HAVE THEM. They sell smaller ones, in bright colors, but nothing that would work for me. I ended up putting it into a large picture frame with a mat, and it looks okay.

Funny thing about that one, though, it was the first present I thought of this year, finished with the cross stitching a month or more ago, and then I started ordering things for everyone and forgot that I had made this, so it threw the count off and I had to order another present for everyone. (I pretty much do that every year, so it's no big deal, just funny how it happened.)

The only other thing I "made" was I framed the front page of the sports section from baseball's opening day, with a picture of Clayton Kershaw when he hit his home run. That's for my grandson, who will think it's really cool, probably, especially since that's not his actual present from me.

Eric's Fat Brother

Postby Eric's Fat Brother » Thu 12 Dec, 2013 03:11 pm

I almost ruined Christmas. We were looking for a particular toy for our 2-year-old, and the only place I could find it was on eBay. It's been years since I've bought or sold anything on eBay, so when I won the auction, my brain told me I was done. I forgot that you have to go in and pay for it before they will ship it. So it wasn't until today, 13 days after I won the auction, that I went into my account to see why we haven't received it yet and I saw that it was waiting on payment from me.

I sent a message to the seller, and he is going to ship it to Momma's house for me to make sure we get it in time for Christmas. Sometimes I think I must be my mother's son or something.
Jeff J. Snider
"I'm crazy but I get the job done."
My NEW weight-loss blog

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 12 Dec, 2013 03:20 pm

Ha ha! Remember my eBay accident several years ago, when I bought two wheat grinders? And then Dad got me one for Mother's Day anyway? You guys scored a wheat grinder for your birthdays, as I recall.

This is why I always start by thinking I'm only getting each person three presents, so there's room for senility screw-ups without being too indulgent. We always still have to plan for Dad to mess things up on Christmas Eve, too, but I have asked him to buy a few things this year already, so maybe he won't have that compulsion this year.

(And I only plan to get the grandkids one present each, although I think I've already blown that, too.)

KMD

Postby KMD » Thu 12 Dec, 2013 09:22 pm

I have not finished my baking, which must be done before presents are shipped. And I'm still weaving on the scarf for my son's teacher. I want to weave one for one of my son's friends too, but I'm never going to have that much time.
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 13 Dec, 2013 11:29 am

I was just being grateful that I don't have to ship anything, because my whole family will be here for Christmas, but then I remembered that I do. I only have to send one package, but it has to contain treats, so I'll have to make some first. Fortunately (?) I also have to make treats for a Priesthood Preview this Sunday, about 20 people, but about half of them will be 11- and 12-year-old boys, so I will make a lot, probably three different things, and tuck some away before I take them.

Anyway, I'm glad you reminded me, KMD! Now let's see if I still remember tomorrow, when it's time to follow through!

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Mon 16 Dec, 2013 10:44 am

Scoodie = scarf+hood. Linkie: http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/L20630.html

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 16 Dec, 2013 11:28 am

Now I've realized that we have new neighbors on both sides of us as well as across the street, and I really should make treats for all of them. And the newest ones have five kids. Plus I have five coworkers to give things to. No, seven including the night custodians. I wish I could be an underachiever in this area, like I am in so many others, and just do one easy thing for everyone. But no, I have to give everyone a taste of everything I know how to make. And my longest running production is peanut butter balls, which are time-consuming and hurt my back from standing so long.

And even though I'm technically finished shopping, I still have a list of little things I need to buy, plus all the food for the Family Ordeal on Sunday, Joy's birthday on Tuesday, Christmas breakfast, and Christmas dinner. And Lane's birthday, too, even though it's Friday and he won't be here until Saturday. But some of that can wait until Monday, although if I have to go to the store anyway for the Sunday stuff, I might as well do it all at once.

GenAdFemale

Postby GenAdFemale » Wed 18 Dec, 2013 11:06 am

You've reminded me that I need to start baking. Mmmmmmm cookies.

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Tue 24 Dec, 2013 05:22 pm

Merry Christmas everyone! I hope y'all have a great day filled with lots of happiness and love. :)
There's no better form of government than a dictatorship when you're the dictator.
-Fahim Farook

Walking the World
Me on Instagram
Me on Twitter
Me on Google+
Me on Facebook

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 24 Dec, 2013 06:33 pm

And the same to you, quidLaurie! And to all the Village!

KMD

Postby KMD » Tue 24 Dec, 2013 08:33 pm

Merry Christmas from WV!
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

SDR

Postby SDR » Wed 25 Dec, 2013 01:48 am

Merry Christmas to all from Herriman! Yes, I am legally empowered to make holiday greetings on behalf of a city. :)

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Thu 26 Dec, 2013 05:22 pm

Happy belated Christmas from my lurker cave, to which I have retreated while recovering from the effects of having family over for a 5 1/2 day visit.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 26 Dec, 2013 07:24 pm

I'm still in the middle of having all the family here, but it's different when it's your kids, I'm sure. The first one left a little while ago, and I'm sad about that, but it has been such a great week and a great Christmas! Even the Family Ordeal on Sunday night, with all my siblings and their families, was fun. Well, I joke about it, but really it's always fun, it's just such a crowd that it gets overwhelming sometimes. This year it wasn't, for whatever reason. I'm tired and sore from being on my feet so much Sunday and Tuesday and Wednesday, but I've slept well and just feel so much love surrounding me, I can hardly comprehend it.

Did you all see on Facebook the portrait of little Andy that Joy's friend's mom painted for me? It captures his sweet little face so perfectly. That was my only present that made me cry, but I got a lot of other awesome things, including George Strait concert tickets and a Grandma birthstone necklace and enough books to make me never want to go to work again. I realized just a couple of days ago that I spend the whole Christmas season arranging things to make a good Christmas for everyone else, and on about the 23rd I start looking forward to getting presents myself. It's a good balance, I think.

We were able to help a family in the ward and also a coworker's efforts. She and her family collect and wrap new toys, and then on Christmas Day they drive around to poor parts of town and if they see kids playing outside, they give them a present, figuring that if they got presents they wouldn't be outside playing in the dirt or whatever. She used to try to select families ahead of time, but the greedy gimme gimmes turned her sour on that. She and her family live in a poor part of town themselves, and don't have much, but they do this every year. Last year I forgot to contribute, but this year I did. So I got to feel good about giving, besides to my own family.

Tomorrow about eight girls from high school are getting together. (Ha ha "girls" -- two of them are already 61, and the rest of us aren't far behind.) I went to school with some of them from early elementary school on, and at some point I was good friends with most of them, and liked the two I wasn't ever close to, so it will be fun. I love Facebook for bringing us all back together. The organizer is out here from North Carolina, but the rest live nearby, within 15 miles or so. I doubt I'll ever want to get together with any of them separately, because that is not how I roll, but I look forward to tomorrow.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 30 Dec, 2013 03:52 pm

Christmas was wonderful. Taking down Christmas is boring.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 20 Nov, 2014 11:43 am

Christmas is coming again! It keeps on coming back! Not that I'm complaining, but I'm already worried about having the energy to do all the decorating, not to mention the candy making. My principal just asked me to make enough of something, my choice, to go in lunch boxes that she bought for everyone on the staff. I don't know what I'll make, but probably not peanut butter balls, because that would take me forever. Oh! Maybe fudge and peanut butter fudge! Then I'll still have to make PB Balls and Boogers for the office people and a few neighbors. I wish I would make something non-food for my Slipper Sisters (the group from high school who got together last year and again in June) but that doesn't seem likely at this point. Actually, I was thinking about making lavender rice bags, the kind that can be heated to put on aches and pains. I think that would be appropriate, since we're all old and stuff, but I don't know if I'll follow through.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 03 Dec, 2014 10:13 am

I was asked at almost the last minute to be in a stake Christmas program, playing an angel and singing two songs. I normally memorize whatever I'm singing, but it might not happen this time, because at the rehearsals, they're way more focused on the speaking parts than on the music. I don't know who was supposed to sing alto originally, but my sister and I are the emergency replacements. Luckily, we are both very good at reading music, and quick learners, too, even if we don't have the *best* voices in the world. We are both very good blenders and harmonizers, and we blend very well together. The program is Saturday, and it is going to be really beautiful, and I'll be glad I was a part of it once it's over, but I have to stand onstage in angelic state for 45 minutes, and I don't really stand up that well. I can walk just fine, as long as I go fast, but when I stand still I get wobbly in a hurry. So we'll see how it goes.

SDR

Postby SDR » Wed 03 Dec, 2014 11:08 am

Good luck!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 08 Dec, 2014 12:56 pm

It really went very well. We angels decided at the last rehearsal that we wouldn't go back onstage after our two songs until near the end, so we didn't have to stand there so long, and I don't think the director even noticed, so all was well. I love Christmas!

Return to “Main Forum”