Merry Christmas to All

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

Momma Snider

Re: Merry Christmas to All

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 20 Nov, 2013 04:22 pm

I think under will be softer. Plus, no centerpieces.

SDR

Postby SDR » Wed 20 Nov, 2013 04:27 pm

Momma Snider wrote:I think under will be softer. Plus, no centerpieces.

He can spoon with the centerpiece.

GenAdFemale

Postby GenAdFemale » Wed 20 Nov, 2013 04:42 pm

Is there room under someone else's bed for Eric? One time, we put Haydle-Dee under her own bed, which she had given up for a guest. Thank goodness Haydle-Dee isn't claustrophobic. The guest and Hay had a fun time pretending to have a bunkbed. A really really short bunkbed. Another kid of mine once decided to sleep in a large box. Do you have one big enough for Eric?

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 20 Nov, 2013 04:54 pm

My dad used to bring home refrigerator boxes for us to play with when he had an appliance store, and we often slept outside in those boxes. He also brought home old mattresses for us to jump on and sleep outside on. And I'm not talking about some sissy "back yard" sleeping, either. Nope, back in those days we slept right there in the front yard, with only the stars (and a blanket) for our covers.

Too bad I don't need a new refrigerator.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 21 Nov, 2013 01:03 pm

I just ordered a new set of bubble lights for my family room tree. I have several sets already, but I always wish I had more. When I was a kid, we always went to my grandparents' house in San Diego on Christmas Eve and spent the night, and she had these old bubble lights on her tree, so these are very nostalgic for me. Funny thing, though, one of the comments on Amazon also said that they were nostalgic, reminding the person of HER grandma's house...back in the 70s. I'm old.

I dreamed last night that I suddenly remembered that we had kind of a guest house where Eric could sleep. I have that kind of dream a lot, and I always wake up disappointed.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 21 Nov, 2013 01:05 pm

Regarding the under-the-bed thing, from what I hear, Eric's snoring could make the person(s) in the bed think there was an earthquake or a lion or something.

EricDSnider

Postby EricDSnider » Thu 21 Nov, 2013 01:17 pm

Oh, Mother. Stop worrying about my sleeping arrangements. I slept in your dank, musty womb for nine months and that was fine.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 21 Nov, 2013 01:25 pm

Nine and a HALF months, but who's counting?

KMD

Postby KMD » Fri 22 Nov, 2013 09:14 am

If it makes you feel better Momma, I was born in the 70's and I also have a nostalgia for those bubble lights. I put them on my tree every year!. It gets harder and harder to find replacement bulbs.
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 22 Nov, 2013 09:39 am

Amazon has the lights and the replacements. But read the reviews, because some of them apparently look really cheap, and some are only red and orange.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 27 Nov, 2013 10:39 am

I started decorating yesterday, but only in the family room, since the living/dining room will be used for Thanksgiving. Chris and Rocky got the Swearing Swag up, and I packed away the Boyd's Bears and lion and lamb figurines, and put up the gingerbread tree in the corner. There's still a lot to do, but hopefully I'll have it done by the weekend.

GenAdFemale

Postby GenAdFemale » Thu 28 Nov, 2013 10:20 am

LOL Swearing Swag. I'd like to see that.

Thanks to you, Momma, I'm starting to want more than one Christmas tree. I find myself looking around my house wondering where I could put a couple more of them, and day-dreaming about how to decorate them.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 02 Dec, 2013 10:44 am

The Swearing Swag is just a long green strand of piney-looking stuff that I swag across the top of the wall. I attached silver bells and red bows at the swag points, and I've had it for probably 30 years, maybe even more. I used to put it up myself at our old house, but since the room was small, it went on two walls, and I had to stand on the back of the couch to do it, no room for a ladder. It took me forever, because I'd get one point hung and the one before would fall down. If I was ever going to swear, that would have done it, hence the name. Sometime after we moved into our new house, Rocky and Chris decided to surprise me one day by putting it up while I was gone, and it became the new tradition. It only takes them about five minutes, because there's room for a stepladder, and there are two of them doing it, so no one swears any more, but that's its name and we're not changing it now.

It also took me several years to remember that I needed to do it before the Christmas tree was in the way. Now it's our very first thing, so all I have to do is remember to put it away in the top of the properly labeled box.

GenAdFemale

Postby GenAdFemale » Mon 02 Dec, 2013 11:14 am

Ah, tradition! Stories like that make life fun.

I have to wonder if I actually called something the Swearing Anything, one of my kids would secretly write little faux swear words on it just to annoy me.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 02 Dec, 2013 11:52 am

Not if it's not traditional! I could see my kids doing that if it was the first year we'd called it that, though.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 03 Dec, 2013 12:20 pm

I did nothing to further Christmas yesterday. Nothing. I did put away three or four of my non-Christmas silk plant arrangements that had been sitting on the couch since I took them down, but that was it. The stockings are dumped in a pile on the stairs, in hopes that St. Nicholas will find them there. I went so far as to get the push pins out on Saturday, hoping to hang them, but then got sidetracked. I really need to start wrapping presents, since the Amazon boxes are piling higher and higher in the dining room, with all the kids sending their packages here rather than having to transport everything when they come, but I couldn't even do that last night, because rocky and Joy were watching a TV movie with me, and I was afraid the rattling of the paper would bother them. But tonight I'll be home alone, and I will wrap my fool head off.

SDR

Postby SDR » Tue 03 Dec, 2013 05:17 pm

Home alone? Will you be expecting Joe Pesci or Daniel Stern to drop by?

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 03 Dec, 2013 08:13 pm

I hope not. I don't have any traps ready, and I don't even have Andy to bite them. I guess I could always turn Joy's snake loose if I hear bad guys.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 04 Dec, 2013 05:29 pm

I wrapped maybe 10 presents last night. I feel so proud. But tonight I have a presidency meeting, plus I have to make a chocolate on chocolate cake for our custodian, whose last day is tomorrow, plus I'm out of gift tags so I have to go to a store before I can wrap any more, and I'm too tired to do any of it, but at least I decorated our office Christmas tree today, so everything is okay.

I think I'm even going to Disneyland Friday! Jeff and Lane and their kids will be there, and Emily gets to go, so all six of my grandkids will be there, and how can I not go under those circumstances? Even if there are big crowds there, which there usually are, I will enjoy the Christmas/Disney ambience. And since Thanksgiving was just last week, maybe some people will decide not to take their kids out of school so soon to go and get in my way.

Rocky *says* he's going, too, but he was saying that up until about the time we were supposed to leave last time, so we'll see.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 11 Dec, 2013 01:11 pm

Rocky did go to Disneyland and we had a wonderful time seeing the kids and enjoying the ambience of Christmas at Disneyland. Lines were way too long by afternoon, but so what? We even went on Splash Mountain just before we came home. It was really cold, and no one wanted to get wet, so there was no line, and Jeff had ponchos!

And now it's only two weeks until Christmas! Did you all know that? Did you? Yay!

Return to “Main Forum”