another rental question

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

Momma Snider

another rental question

Postby Momma Snider » Sun 23 Jan, 2011 05:56 pm

You probably remember my renter and all the problems we had last year until she finally left on July 9. I do still have to see her at school now and then, but she doesn't come in often, so I keep trying to just forget the whole thing. But we have to have renters, and my brother doesn't get any easier to live with, so it's difficult. Right now there's a husband and wife living there, and at least we know we'll get paid, because they have a Social Security payee who will see to it. But then the problems that make them require a payee also make them hard to live with, too.

Here's the problem: I know we can tell them we don't want them smoking pot there, but they are applying for medical marijuana cards, and if they get them, I guess it will be legal for them to smoke it. But will that mean we are required by liberal California law to allow it? It will not be good for my brother, who is the whole reason we even still have the house.

AdamOndi

Re: another rental question

Postby AdamOndi » Mon 24 Jan, 2011 08:18 am

Just because something is legal doesn't mean that you have to allow it in your rental property. Write it into the lease that no one is allowed to smoke anything on the premises. Just the same way that the people who rent our house to us put it in the lease that no pets are allowed unless we want to pay an outrageous amount in a pet deposit and extra monthly fee. Other landlords write it into the lease that you can't have pets at all, despite it being perfectly legal for people to own pets.

Then again, California is retarded when it comes to a lot of landlord-tenant laws. The hippies who got medical marijuana laws passed in the first place may have gotten some sort of special exemption for the stuff so that all of the stoners in the state could smoke in their residences no matter what the landlord says....

In fact, I just looked up the California Landlord-Tenant law web page (http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/land ... tion.shtml), and it has this line which could suck for you:

California law also prohibits discrimination based on any of the following:

* A person's medical condition or mental or physical disability; or
* Personal characteristics, such as a person's physical appearance or sexual orientation that are not related to the responsibilities of a tenant;40 or
* A perception of a person's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, ancestry, familial status, source of income, disability or medical condition, or a perception that a person is associated with another person who may have any of these characteristics.41

That "medical condition" clause would almost certainly apply if your tenants are approved for medical marijuana usage. And that officially sucks.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

EthanBeckstead

Postby EthanBeckstead » Mon 24 Jan, 2011 12:11 pm

Two of the main reasons to allow landlords to ban smoking is the damage it does to the property (drapes, carpets, paint) and also to avoid second-hand smoke for other tenants. If your brother is living in the house, then you can probably ban any smoking based on 2nd hand smoke laws in California. Presumably, those laws trump the medicinal marijuana laws. Even if someone can legally smoke marijuana, it doesn't mean they can put other peoples' health in danger.

Adam is right and you do want to avoid discrimination based on their medical condition. However, there apparently are marijuana clinics where they can go to smoke their "medicine", and also marijuana can be consumed, it doesn't need to be smoked.

Do you already have a no smoking clause in the contract? If not, then you might have trouble adding it after the fact. If you do already have such a clause, then you may be okay.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 11 Mar, 2011 04:09 pm

We have a "no smoking in the house" clause. Can't say no smokers, period, because my brother smokes, but he does it outside, in a back corner, and he is careful to clean up his butts. (That's the ONLY thing he cleans up, but that's another story.) These people smoke outside, but scatter their butts everywhere. But I'm going to quit worrying about it, because at least they pay their rent on time!

Another tidbit from the past: The old squatter from a year ago, who made us take her to court to get her out, and still didn't leave for another 11 days after the judge-ordered evacuation date, the one who told me at one point that she couldn't think about rent because her dad committed suicide WHEN HE WASN'T EVEN DEAD, is in the spotlight again at school. Her daughter's umbrella was stolen, and she said it was a very sentimental umbrella to the family (maybe it used to belong to her dad!) so she demanded $15 from the dad of the boy who broke it.

Sentimental Umbrella. That's the name of my next band.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Sun 13 Mar, 2011 04:00 pm

Dear Crazy Woman Who Used To Be Momma Snider's Deadbeat Tenant:

If you have a Sentimental Umbrella (especially if it's one that belonged to your Dad who committed suicide but is still alive and kicking), don't let your poor kid bring it to ELEMENTARY SCHOOL, you ignorant slut.

Sincerely,
~A Friend

Oopsie, I accidentally was channeling Dan Aykroyd, who is also not dead, for a moment, there. Oh, man. How do you keep from just slapping the snot out of some of those idiot parents, Laurie. I've often said, you're a better woman than I.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Audrey

Postby Audrey » Mon 14 Mar, 2011 07:48 am

KareNin wrote:you ignorant slut....

Oopsie, I accidentally was channeling Dan Aykroyd

This made me snort out loud. One of my favorite things Dan Aykroyd has ever said! :lol:
If you smile at me I will understand, 'cause that is something everybody everywhere does in the same language.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 14 Mar, 2011 09:10 am

Some phrases are just too true to ignore.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Tue 15 Mar, 2011 07:54 am

Sentimental Umbrella and Complimentary Pumpkins should do a concert tour together.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 15 Mar, 2011 09:25 am

And Ignorant Slut could open for them.

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Tue 15 Mar, 2011 01:04 pm

Momma Snider wrote:And Ignorant Slut could open for them.

Nah, Lady GaGa is way too big to be an opening act right now.

BAZINGA!
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

SDR

Postby SDR » Tue 15 Mar, 2011 02:26 pm

Must "LIKE" Lady Gaga bit... Can't find link.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Sat 16 Apr, 2011 03:07 pm

Who wants to be entertained with another chapter in the renter saga?
They just called me. The first time, I didn't even answer the phone, because I didn't recognize the number, and the voice on the message sounded like Grandpa got loose in the Home and was playing with the phone again. But the next time my curiosity got me, and I answered.

They (first it was her, with him yelling in the background, and then I talked to him and she was yelling in the background) said that my brother had just pushed him. W's story was that he was having chest pains, so he asked P if he had any pain meds, by which he says he meant aspirin. Then he went off on how his dog had an empty pill bottle in his mouth, and it said Oxycontin on it, so he knows P has pain pills, and that P got mad when he called him on it. (So even by his own admission, he was asking P to share his prescription pain pills.) Then it rambled off into how he's a black belt, and he could have hurt P if he wasn't such a church-going guy, and on and on. Oh, and he said P had threatened to call the police.

P was calling on my cell phone about that time, so I called him back. He said W was punching himself in the face and was going to tell people that P had hit him. He also told me that he hoped I would be on his side and think about his well-being and make these people leave. They do have a six-month lease, but I told W that if they wanted to leave, we'd let them out of it, but I told P that I can't make them leave.

It's been nice to have the rent coming in, but I really, really hate this whole situation.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Sun 17 Apr, 2011 08:58 pm

And then my brother called back a few hours later to tell me that he had called 911. I drove over there, and the cop was there trying to talk to them. W and his wife, T, were sitting on the other side of the yard. Basically the deputy couldn't do anything, but he tried to get them to talk to each other, and W wouldn't. I went over to talk to him, and at some point he jumped up and yelled, "Now you're calling me a liar!" He went off towards the house, yelling about f-ing liars, and pointing at P. The deputy called him back and tried to talk, and it took a while for him to stop. They started complaining about the small room and how they can't even call 911 because P won't let them use the phone, and I reminded them they have a cell phone, but she said you can't call 911 on a cell phone. The cop told her yes, you can, and she said, "Well, I don't have any minutes left."

I guess things have been calm today. Deputy H told me I shouldn't stay there and get yelled at, but I waited until P had gone into the house. W and T were waiting for their pot delivery, and we think their connection drove by while the cop was there, because W got even more agitated when he saw this car. That was kind of funny.

I told them we will be glad to let them out of their lease if they want to move early, and that if they stay, they have to stay away from P. I really don't think it's his fault this time!

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Mon 18 Apr, 2011 08:01 am

The Deputy should have also told the woman that it doesn't matter if you have minutes left or not on your cell phone. All cell phones are required to be able to call 911 at any time, whether or not there are minutes left. That rule is why even when the cell phones are locked and you need a passcode to get into them, you can still hit the button that says "Emergency Call" and the phone will still call 911 even if you don't have the passcode.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 18 Apr, 2011 09:27 am

Oh, he told her that. She said, "Not with T Mobile." He dropped it after that, because there was no point in arguing with them. I think it was after that that he told me he didn't think I should stick around to be yelled at.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 18 Apr, 2011 09:29 am

My brother said they will have calmed down in a couple of days. He said they always get belligerent like that the day after they get their meds. Clonapin or something? He said the slang for them is Gorilla Pills, because they cause this kind of agitation.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 15 Apr, 2013 01:56 pm

I just thought I'd read back through this thread to cheer myself up. The renters we had for the past year paid their rent every month! And when they left, they cleaned inside the house really well, except for the carpet! The "husband" had moved out a few months before, and there was a lot of drama between them, but the topper there was when he called the City to complain about the weeds and fences and stuff, all things he had so generously offered to take care of when he lived there. He was just trying to get her evicted, but whatever. It prompted us to hire someone to come and do the whole cleanup, and that started today. It will cost us about $3000. And then we are hoping it will sell, but if it doesn't, I have some people who want to rent it, and they've been at their current address for over three years, so I think they're stable.

Someone approached me at church yesterday and said another family in the ward wants to rent it and really needs a place to live because they've been living with her for a couple of months. I feel sorry for them, but they had a low-income apartment, and if they couldn't afford that, why would I rent to them? I'm kind and compassionate, but I'm not rich. I don't know why some people think that "landlords" are just in it for the fun of it, or that they have a never-ending supply of money.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 08 May, 2013 09:40 am

The cleanup was amazing, and expensive. It took four of the 40 ft. rolloff dumpsters, at $500 each. On the last one, the company came out to pick it up and left without it because there were two pieces of telephone poles in there, and they are considered hazardous materials because of the coating on them. Don't bother asking why my dad had telephone poles lying around his property. You wouldn't believe some of the other stuff. Anyway, Rocky was out of town, so I was going to climb in and see if I could get them out, but then I thought of my brother-in-law, who is known for getting stuff done. He brought his jeep over, hooked a chain to the poles, and had them out in no time.

We had an offer from someone who wants to buy the property, but it doesn't qualify for an FHA loan because of the additions my dad put on without permits. She has a realtor friend who would buy it, fix it up, and then sell it to her when it qualifies, but he doesn't want to pay our price. In the meantime, a family here at my school wants it really bad, and they are stable and she likes to do yard work. So last week I told her she could have it. She went home and told her husband, and...he had a stroke, right there before her eyes. He's only 46. It was pretty bad. The next day she told me he could only say three words and was paralyzed on his right side. His dad died of a stroke at 48, and he was only home from work that day because his blood pressure was really high.

Her sister told me on Friday that she would still want to rent the place, that it would be good therapy for her to have the yard to take care of, so I said it was still hers. A half hour later the realtor called and told me his plans for buying it, and when I told him we really needed the price I had told them, he said he'd think about it over the weekend and get back to me. Later that day I heard that the renter's husband had "crashed" and I don't know if that means he died or had another stroke or what. I haven't heard from either of them this week.

If neither of these works out, the bishop said we have a few families in the ward who need affordable housing. I'm not interested in the one who couldn't pay her low-income apartment rent, but he said there is another lady who is paying $1400 a month and can't afford that. In the meantime, I have a friend who needed a place to stay, and she's there now, just until someone else wants to move in.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 27 May, 2013 12:19 pm

Update, for whoever is still reading.
Because I didn't negotiate the price with the buyer, because I thought the renter would still want it, the buyer has quit talking. Now the renter's husband is even worse, has had more strokes and brain surgery, and I'm sure they can't rent it. In the meantime, I let a dear old friend move in just for the month or so until we figured out what we were going to do. She used to be a great friend, but in the last few years has gotten into drugs and bad company. I only let her in because she needed to get away from her boyfriend, who was keeping her on drugs. Well, within a week he had showed up there, and is now living there, which was a very clear no-no from the beginning, and we've passed by there a few times and have seen other nefarious strangers walking in and out like they own the place. A tree branch has been broken from someone swinging on it, a window is now broken, and to date four sprinkler lines, just from people (full grown adults) messing around in the yard. There are piles of clothes all over the house, and it was obvious this morning that they have been smoking in the house, which was one of the other clearly prohibited activities.

I told her we need to have someone else move in by the 1st, and she's even going to push that, not moving out until maybe Thursday. That will give us one day to get it cleaned up. Being nice has once more bitten us in the butt, but I hope it helped her.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 08 Oct, 2013 09:35 am

Our current renters paid $340 in August, $110 in September, and of course nothing yet this month. Very awkward. I'm just glad I made them put the electric bill in their name. The last people didn't, because I thought the rent we were charging would cover it, but they ran electric heaters in every room all winter, and the bills totaled over $1500 for four months, so we went way in the hole even though they paid rent most months.

But it will all work out in the end, and if it's not working out, it must not be the end.

Return to “Main Forum”