The Village's Mutual Improvement Society

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

Momma Snider

Re: The Village's Mutual Improvement Society

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 21 Jan, 2014 10:09 am

After being at 180.2 or even .6 for several weeks, I was at 177.2 this morning. I would be ecstatic about that if I hadn't been at 176.2 Saturday. But I had been sick for a couple of days and hadn't eaten dinner. I often think that if I didn't have to make dinner for the family, I could lose much more weight, because I'm not really that much of a night-time eater. But if I've made dinner, chances are I will eat it. Anyway, I'm satisfied for now to be back in the 170s, and it made me more willing to get back on the Wii. I haven't managed to get myself up early enough to get back to Shaun, but since I'm still coughing and sniffling, I think that's just as well.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 21 Jan, 2014 05:26 pm

I forgot to say that yesterday I went to the doctor, and my blood pressure was so low that she told me to quit taking meds for it! I've only been taking half a pill anyway, but apparently I don't need anything any more, for that, anyway. I've read a bunch of times that losing even 5% of your body weight can make that happen, and I have lost 10% recently in the past 16 months or so, and I guess it worked! I've continued to get older all that time, too!

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Wed 22 Jan, 2014 08:02 am

That's fantastic, MommaS! Well, not the getting older part, but that bit's inevitable. But hurrah for less meds!
You're unique, just like everyone else!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 27 Jan, 2014 11:50 am

Oh, well. I guess my little weight loss was just a result of being sick, because it's back. But I'm back on the wagon as of today. I brought all healthy food, and plenty of it, so I won't be tempted by the junk people bring in, and I got up early enough to work out with Shaun T. I did nearly all of his 25 minutes, probably about 21 minutes worth. I know he was proud of me.

GenAdFemale

Postby GenAdFemale » Mon 27 Jan, 2014 05:12 pm

Good for you Momma!

I tend to high bp too, though I'm not on meds (yet). Today I went to the dentist and they took my bp, and I was afraid it would be over 140/90 but it was 124/80! Even exercising 3x a week since beginning of Jan has brought it down a bit for me!

My husband takes meds for high bp and I keep trying to get him to use the free gym at his work but he keeps making excuses and then whines about not being able to exercise. Am I allowed to kick him?

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 27 Jan, 2014 05:31 pm

Just make sure to tighten your core when you kick him, so you don't hurt your back. and maybe you should kick him twice, once with each foot, so you don't get more muscles on the one side.

One of our custodians gave the other one a box of See's for his birthday today. The birthday boy has made it clear that he doesn't like to eat chocolate or other junk food, so Teresa and I were sitting here drooling over it, but he took it to his car to take home! I should thank him, but I was looking forward to at least having a piece before he took it home.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 28 Jan, 2014 10:34 am

Did great all day yesterday. Took home the remains of a cake I made on Friday for the custodians' birthdays. Cake was all dried out, wasn't that great even when it was fresh, but the frosting was probably the best ever. A half inch thick on top. Ate a huge piece before I went to bed. Hoped Rocky would eat the rest before he went to bed, but he didn't, so I ate another chunk of frosting this morning. Yes, while I was doing Shaun T's Speed workout, I ran over and ate chocolate frosting.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 29 Jan, 2014 01:29 pm

And the scale noticed. I weighed more this morning than I have since last May, when I was on my way down. I'm praying for self-discipline. Why do I think that just because I want something, I deserve to have it right now? I don't feel that way about anything else in my life. In all other areas I can never quite believe my good luck, karma, or blessings, or not that I can't believe them, they just surprise me. I don't demand anything instantly except food.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 14 Feb, 2014 11:01 am

I got a Fitbit. Rocky's boss kind of strongly encouraged them all to get them, so they can compare notes even though they don't see each other. That's not (at ALL) the cutesy kind of stuff Rocky enjoys or participates in, but he loves his job, so he figured he could go at least this far. So he got one for me, too. I thought it looked kind of complicated, but it's really not.

As for my weight, I'm totally stuck. I'm really sad to be back in Obese range by four pounds. I ate an entire six-piece box of See's candy yesterday in about a half hour, plus three huge chocolate-covered strawberries. I gotta get back on the wagon. Seriously.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 17 Feb, 2014 12:21 pm

The fitbit is fun, and so far it has encouraged me to be more active. Once I'm back at work tomorrow, though, I don't know how much it will help. And it's really weird, I installed it on my phone, too, and the totals there are different than on my computer, which is different from the unit on my wrist itself. Phone shows MORE steps, but LESS active minutes, than the computer.

I haven't eaten anything yet today, but I'm about to drink a shake and call it brunch. If I let it, that will hold me until mid-afternoon, and handfuls of chocolate chips will not be necessary.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 18 Feb, 2014 09:44 am

Ha. Figured out why the fitbit was off...I didn't notice that on the phone, it was on the day before, or maybe even the day before that. Once I got it to the right day, it matched the computer.

My sister, the athlete, who LIKES to run and do all other forms of exercise, has back problems, two bulging discs and some sliding vertebrae issue that I'd never heard of. The surgeon, naturally, wants to do surgery to fuse the discs. She doesn't want to, because she has never heard of anyone coming out of that surgery and being able to run. He said, "No, you will have to make a lifestyle change." So she's not going for it.

The thing is, what she told me is that she always thinks exercise will fix anything! I can't even imagine that mindset. She's going to try resting for a week or so, but doesn't know if she can do it. For two people who think alike as much as we do, we're sure opposites on this!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 21 Feb, 2014 10:43 am

I have a question. Does having Shaun T working out on the TV while I make my lunch count as exercise?

Seriously, there are a lot of things I'm not doing now because they don't make my Fitbit register any movement. (Running in place doesn't count steps, for example.) So I run around and around the house, and stop to throw the turkey bacon in the microwave or whatever and then run some more. But the thought of JUST running around and around the house for 25 minutes sounds ridiculous, and I know I wouldn't do it if Shaun wasn't watching me.

I haven't lost an ounce, but I've worked hard nearly every day.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Fri 21 Feb, 2014 04:33 pm

So I totally fell off the fitness wagon once I achieved my goal, but I've found this workout on nerdfitness.com that relies on your body weight and a milk jug to do the entire routine.

I've been doing it for two weeks, plus about 15 minutes of yoga to stretch out, and I'm liking it. I can watch tv on my tablet while I do it (very necessary for me or I won't stick with it) and it's simple. I can only do about half the reps he recommends, and I can only go halfway on the girlie pushups, but it's better than I was doing a couple of weeks ago!

I'm giving myself until December to do the full forms with the full amount of reps. And unlike the Wii Fit, which I hate because it says mean things like "overweight" and sighs at me every time I step on the balance board, I can see myself doing this for the long term.
You're unique, just like everyone else!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 25 Feb, 2014 10:37 am

I got motivated Sunday morning to start Jeff's diet again, after hitting a new high for the past year. Just trying to eat right hasn't worked lately, because I continue to think "just one won't hurt," which it wouldn't, even if it's a cookie, if I would stop at one. But when I say that five or six times a day, it adds up. I had also really missed the Cheat Day concept. I have often said that when the doctor tells me I'm too thin, I'm going to eat pancakes/eat Thin Mints/eat Skor bars/eat homemade bread until I don't crave it anymore. It suddenly occurred to me a week or two ago that Cheat Day gives me that opportunity. But in order to "earn" it, I have to do it right for the six days prior.

Starting day 3, and doing fine so far. I took the morning off from exercise, but will try to get my steps in during the day.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 26 Feb, 2014 01:21 pm

Day 4. Did pretty well yesterday, and even got in my steps (5000) even though I didn't officially exercise in the morning. I parked way far from Walmart, and walked from the pharmacy to the bank and back, which also counted for 4 flights of stairs, because it was uphill, and then ran up and down the sidewalk in front of the house before I went to bed. I've lost 3.2 lbs, and hope to not weigh myself again until Saturday, since it will have slowed down already.

I'm still really ticked off at myself for gaining nearly 10 lbs. since my lowest point back in July, but I have hope. And I'm still wearing my size 12 jeans, which is totally astounding. I know it might seem big to some of you (who am I kidding? No one is even reading this!) but to me it's a miracle.

GenAdFemale

Postby GenAdFemale » Wed 26 Feb, 2014 03:04 pm

I'm reading it and wishing you good luck and continued exercise opportunities. And a size 12 is a dream to me. I won't tell you what size I wear, but it is significantly larger. I am trying to add more motion to my day, but truth is I sit for a very long time at my desk and then I sit for a very long time in the evening because I'm lazy. I'm trying to be less lazy. So you are setting a good example for me.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 26 Feb, 2014 03:47 pm

That sitting thing is my story, too. No matter how many times I get up to walk around the office during the day, I am sitting at a desk for the most part. And then I go home and sit on the couch because I'm lazy.

I hadn't ever thought of watching something on my computer while I do the Wii Fit. I'm not that into watching things anyway, but I just get so bored! Me and my boredom! I'm supposed to get some crowns done on my front teeth, three of them, and my dentist doesn't do laughing gas or anything, so I was going to ask for a sedative, not because I'm scared, but because I get so bored. (Well, and I HATE having my mouth open. I can't sleep with it open, and I can't stand to have air on my tongue.) Anyway, the other day I was having a massage at Massage Envy, and I realized that oh, yeah, I can lie there for an hour without getting bored! So I'm going to try to cowboy up and get the crowns.

Which has nothing to do with this thread, but maybe I won't eat too much the day I get my teeth fixed!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 27 Feb, 2014 10:56 am

All my office coworkers are having homemade ham and cheese soup for lunch today, and one of them just went on a breakfast burrito run for everyone to share. I'm talking big, fat burritos, full of potatoes and sausage. When they asked what I wanted, I said I'd just drink my shake, because I've done really well this week and I'm down 4.2 lbs. from Saturday/Sunday, so I don't want to mess it up. One of them said the usual "I found them!" and another one said, "But we've been doing really well, drinking those protein shakes I make!" Trouble is, they're drinking them in addition to eating whatever they want. I keep hoping someone will invent something that one could eat or drink that would erase all fat/calories/carbs, but protein shakes aren't that thing.

So it's funny. And I'm determined to at least make it through this week. It really hasn't been hard at all, most of the time, and I really want to get back to where I was last summer.

Eric's Fat Brother

Postby Eric's Fat Brother » Thu 27 Feb, 2014 04:42 pm

Good job, Mom!

I've been plateaued for the past three or four months, but I started mixing things up a little bit, so I'm hoping to kickstart the weight loss again. I still have another 30-40 pounds I want to lose, probably, so while "keeping the 120 pounds off that I have lost" is nice, it's not what I'm ready to start doing yet.
Jeff J. Snider
"I'm crazy but I get the job done."
My NEW weight-loss blog

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 28 Feb, 2014 03:03 pm

I'd still like to lose 30 more pounds, but that's not really even my goal. If I could get back to where I was last July, with a low of 173.something, and then could lose just a few more, I'd be happy for a while. But then it seems that if I'm not making 100% effort to lose, I'm going to gain. Not really, since I stayed at 175-176 for several months (until the holidays, now that I think of it) but that was with about 80% effort. I don't see why it has to be so hard!

And when I think I have no hope of getting under 150, I have to remember that when I was in the low 200s, for years and years, I never really thought I'd get into the 170s, or even the 180s.

What's really weird is that I lost my butt. I never thought that would shrink. My belly is SO not a size 12 belly, but my behind is.

Return to “Main Forum”