The Village's Mutual Improvement Society

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

Momma Snider

Re: The Village's Mutual Improvement Society

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 03 Mar, 2014 12:23 pm

Monday morning, and I already ate something not on the list. But at least it was a non-fat greek yogurt, not a big bowl of ice cream.

Oh, and as of Saturday morning I was 176.6, down nearly 7 pounds from the week before. Then I had a great Cheat Day, and I know better than to weigh myself on Sunday morning, but I did it anyway, but was still down 3 from last week, so after the Cheats wear off, I should be good.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 05 Mar, 2014 09:58 am

I slipped off the Wii Fit board this morning and wrenched my back. It doesn't hurt too badly yet, but it's one of those where I can tell it's probably going to be bad later. But maybe not. Time will tell. I also have a sore throat that woke me up several times during the night, and all I want is a big cup of hot chocolate, but that's not diet-friendly.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 06 Mar, 2014 03:47 pm

My back doesn't hurt too much after all. I didn't sleep well at all because my throat hurts and feels like there's a lump in it. And I keep thinking it's almost Cheat Day, and I haven't had too hard a time this week...oh, but that's because I haven't done a very good job.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 18 Mar, 2014 09:36 am

Talking to myself again, I suppose, but this is funny. My coworkers have been drinking diet shakes in the morning, . Okay. Then they eat school lunches: yesterday, hot dogs and french fries. But today they were commiserating about how they keep getting fatter, so...they're going to quit drinking the shakes. This morning they had eggs with cheese and hash browns from the cafeteria.

I know I don't LOOK like a diet expert, but I know this is not the answer.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Tue 18 Mar, 2014 06:54 pm

I know, right? I have some old college roommates that keep pinning all these carb-heavy breakfasts under "School Mornings" on Pinterest and I just want to shout "No, no, no! I've learned--it's wrong!"

But I think this is definitely one of those things that people have to gain a testimony of for themselves.
You're unique, just like everyone else!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 19 Mar, 2014 09:32 am

I'm discouraged today. I've been trying really hard, but I lose it at dinnertime. And because I was discouraged this morning, I only exercised for about 10 minutes and then sat on the couch and looked at Facebook, even though I had time to get in quite a few steps. I do have 1400 steps already from the little bit I did, but I also discovered that my Fitbit will register steps if I'm driving and pumping my left arm...so 68 of those steps don't count.

On the other hand, maybe I can register several thousand steps on my drive to Utah on Sunday.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 21 Mar, 2014 08:41 am

One of the nicest people in the world, who I have the pleasure to work with, who also struggles with her weight, made a pineapple upside down cake as "therapy" because she was having a bad night. She couldn't eat it all herself, and her husband is nearly 300 lbs. and is a little short guy, so she didn't want to leave it for him, so she BROUGHT IT TO ME. Why would she do that? She knows how I'm struggling, and often expresses admiration for my self-control. Why would she do that to me?

And why couldn't I dump it in the trash, or at least take it home to eat Saturday? You might well ask. Suffice it to say that no, I couldn't. There were three huge pieces, and Teresa took one, but I ate one of them for breakfast and then started on the other one as soon as I quit feeling sick about the first one.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 31 Mar, 2014 09:24 am

I'm sad that no one is commenting on anything any more. I will drown myself in cookies if someone doesn't speak up.

Eric's Fat Brother

Postby Eric's Fat Brother » Mon 31 Mar, 2014 09:42 am

Don't do it, Mom! Drowning in cookies would probably be uncomfortable, and you'd probably cough a lot and get scratched up and stuff!
Jeff J. Snider
"I'm crazy but I get the job done."
My NEW weight-loss blog

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 31 Mar, 2014 09:57 am

That's true. I am easily resisting the bear claws or whatever that someone brought, but my boss went to London and brought back British chocolates and chocolate biscuits, so we'll see how that goes.

KMD

Postby KMD » Mon 31 Mar, 2014 11:07 am

Sorry Momma! I just haven't had time to exercise OR post!
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Mon 31 Mar, 2014 03:18 pm

And I'm trying to figure out a new normal for me. Still eating low GI, still doing a bodyweight/yoga exercise combo 5 days a week, and I'm maintaining. So is that a good thing? Am I at my natural body weight? Or do I need to do more work to get to my "fighting weight"? Am I allowing the clothing industry to hold me hostage to their ideals, or rebelling by sewing my own stuff that fits and that I'm comfortable in, no matter what I weight?

It's a confusing place to be. I'm much happier to hear about your progress, Momma! It seems much more straightforward, probably because you're not overthinking it like I am.
You're unique, just like everyone else!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 31 Mar, 2014 05:36 pm

Unfortunately, so far I'm not making progress at all. I'm about eight pounds more than my lowest point, last July. I have the best of intentions, but I lose my motivation when I get hungry or see something yummy. I am very frustrated at myself, because I know my weight isn't normal. I'm back up in the obese range, for one thing, and because I lost weight off my hips (unexpected) my waist is only 3" smaller than my hips, and that's known to be unhealthy. But I'm going to keep trying, and I hope we can all keep encouraging each other!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 22 Apr, 2014 12:42 pm

Ha ha! I said I'd keep trying! Instead, I'm trying again, after gaining even more. I ate no sugar yesterday, even with a basket of Easter chocolate sitting on the table. And I didn't eat much dinner, either, which is definitely the key for me. That's the meal that I most tend to overeat. If I don't do something, I will have to buy new pants, and that doesn't work for me. I got rid of all my size 16s, and kind of skipped 14 because it was nearly the end of the school year anyway, but the 12s are getting tight on the belly. I have the belly of a pregnant woman.

SDR

Postby SDR » Tue 22 Apr, 2014 04:04 pm

Have you seen a doctor to be sure you're not pregnant? I mean, my understanding is that surgical reasons would prevent that, but if Mary...

But seriously: Yeah, had my scale blow me a raspberry the other day. I don't feel like I've been doing things a ton different than before my nerve damage last summer (at which point I was down into the 350s), but after the nerve damage nausea related weight loss (down into the 330s) I was back up to 372.

Actually, as I think more about it, the single biggest difference the last three weeks has been our dog Spikey healing after surgery, then getting an abscess infection that has taken a couple of weeks to heal. My schedule has been all messed up (more so than normal) as I've been sleeping in a separate area with the dog so that my wife can sleep better at night, and I have the more flexible schedule of the two of us. It means I haven't been getting adequate sleep most nights and have been spottier on my medication coverage. Nothing like *before* the nerve damage last summer, but it certainly can't be helping.

So, I mainly just need to try to get back on the medication more consistently, and in a week Spikey's and my separate sleeping arrangement should no longer be necessary {knock on wood}.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 23 Apr, 2014 02:14 pm

Ha ha! I'm laughing so hard right now! It's Administrative Assistant Day, or whatever they're calling it these days, and first thing this morning someone brought a dozen donuts for the four of us. They were easy to resist, because I really only like old-fashioneds anyway, and these were all glazed. But then! But then! The principal gave me an entire pound of one of my very favorite See's candies, Bordeaux. All for me. No WAY am I going to let those get away from me! The only good thing (besides that they're delicious) is that since they're all the same, maybe I will get sick of them, and at least I won't feel the need to taste every one, like I would if it was an assortment.

I hope I get some nice bubble bath and lotion from the rest of the staff, instead of more candy...

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 24 Apr, 2014 12:00 pm

Today we got muffins. So far I've resisted them. And I put what was left of my See's in the freezer this morning, but I must admit, I ate probably eight or more of them.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 25 Apr, 2014 09:35 am

I went for a nice walk this morning, for me, the equivalent of 14 flights of stairs and over 3000 steps. My neighborhood is perfect for these walks, because if I stay on my street, it's flat with just a slight incline, but it's at the bottom of a really steep hill, so there are three different ways I can walk up and get a good workout. Anyway, I got up a little early so I'd have time to take a good shower when I got back, and to walk all the way around, and the weather is beautiful, and there was a little bit of fog up over the nearby hills, and it started out to be just a delightful walk. But about four doors down from my house, I stumbled over a crack in the sidewalk (and I'm not talking about something that needs repair, I just didn't pick my feet up high enough) and staggered and almost fell. I was wondering which arm was going to break, and if I'd be able to walk back home or not afterwards, all in the time it took me to dance about four steps. I ended up being able to catch myself, but I wrenched my back. I still did my walk, because I knew that keeping it moving was going to be better, but now that I'm stuck in a chair at work, my back is having spasms and I think I pulled my hamstring. Better than breaking an arm, though.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 25 Apr, 2014 11:29 am

And now my neck hurts, too. Maybe I'd have been better off with a broken arm.

Eric's Fat Brother

Postby Eric's Fat Brother » Fri 25 Apr, 2014 11:41 am

In a week or so, when you've forgotten all this pain, you will be glad you're not staring down the barrel of five more weeks in a cast.
Jeff J. Snider
"I'm crazy but I get the job done."
My NEW weight-loss blog

Return to “Main Forum”