The Village's Mutual Improvement Society

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

Momma Snider

Re: The Village's Mutual Improvement Society

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 10 Nov, 2015 10:50 am

Whee KMD! That is awesome to have lost so much and to be down in the next level! Keep it up!

Not me. I'm still hovering, and in fact I was in the 183 range this morning. But I'm not giving up.

SDR, be sure to let us know how it goes! It's usually pretty fast in the beginning, which is encouraging.

SDR

Postby SDR » Wed 18 Nov, 2015 01:31 pm

previous week's weight/current weight/short term goal/long term goal

Okay, so I started the "diet" about 2.5 weeks ago. Mainly because I had some older weight loss shakes & protein shakes that I wanted to use up, but I wasn't being super disciplined about it.

First I did some research online to see how serious those "best by" dates were. If the product had been milk, no way would I have consumed it. But online research indicated that it wasn't bad, then opening and sniffing the product didn't indicate it was bad. It had separated into liquids and solids, but I blended it up with ice and a banana or peaches or some such and tasted it and it didn't taste bad. So I risked it. I'm a cheapskate. So after the first week (some number are guestimates because I didn't write them down, but they're close):

398/391/389/299

After the second week (still on old protein shakes):

391/387/379/299

We had a family birthday party and I didn't lose as much, but still progress.

I am in week three. I have one more day (I think, maybe two) of old protein shakes left. Then I can start on the three nice shiny new boxes of protein shakes. Just for the heck of it I weighed this morning, and unofficially I am down a couple more pounds (385.0).

In any case, my discipline being as awful as it is, I have to know what I'm doing all the time. So before work I've been making two 11 ounce protein shakes, plus some ice and (most days) fruit, into a smoothie and having that for breakfast and lunch. I'm still having dinner with my wife, but my goal is to soon start having three shakes a day for six days of the week and taking the seventh for a break / cheat day / whatever.

My short term goal for now will be the next xx9 number less than my current weight. So once I hit the 379 mark, I'll be moving on to 369. Etc.

Right now the almost unimaginable goal is 299. {knock on wood} The good thing about that particular goal is that it is no where near the "ideal" weight range, so maybe, just maybe, I can continue some accelerated weight loss for a while.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 19 Nov, 2015 10:45 am

Go Scotty Go!!! That is so cool! I hope the fast loss continues for a long time.
(I would totally drink powdered shakes even if they were expired. Cheap is my watchword.)
The ones Jeff and I like the most are the Premier brand, found at Costco. I don't know how they compare in price to other diet shakes, but they're $25 for a box of 18. SlimFast shakes don't work for me, maybe because they have more sugar or less protein. Whatever it is, I get hungry in about an hour. But the Costco ones will last me all morning, usually.
However, I'm getting nowhere right now. I had two big food occasions in a row last week, and I continued eating the residue for several more days. I feel piggish.
The ladies I work with brought I pumpkin bagels for breakfast and turkey sandwiches for lunch. I'm hoping to skip both, but we'll see. I've been trying to wait until at least 10:00 to eat anything, but I mindlessly popped half a cookie into my mouth as I was leaving for work, and now I'm hungry. Dang me.
Anyway, keep it up, Scott! When I hear of the success of others, it sometimes inspires me to do better.

SDR

Postby SDR » Thu 19 Nov, 2015 12:19 pm

That's the exact brand I have (both the old stock in my pantry, of which I just used the last two to make a peach smoothie, and the new stuff I bought a couple days ago). Online reviews convinced me it was the tastiest of the available options, and I like that it is premixed.

I bought one vanilla, one chocolate, and one strawberries & cream. The older stuff I had just had a foil cover/seal over the pour spout, but these newer ones have actual resealable caps.

Yesterday was an off day, because our oldest/smallest dog (Spike) got out of the fence to go explore the neighborhood. I had a meeting at work (which is fairly unusual, so it pays to be there for them), and as a consequence I only had enough time to go find him & bring him home, or to make a smoothie. So no smoothie yesterday, just fast food. Not the end of the world, just have to jump back on the wagon today.

And in writing this, I got curious about the origin of the term "on/off the wagon" and I looked it up and now I know more and it makes sense! So it's a great day so far.

http://english.stackexchange.com/questi ... -the-wagon

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 19 Nov, 2015 12:37 pm

That's good to know! They say Dean Martin never fell off the wagon because you had to be on it before you could fall off. So does that mean (alcoholically) I can't be on the wagon because I've never been off the wagon? Words confuse me sometimes.

I'm going to keep trying. I think I'll even make a dessert I don't love for our staff luncheon tomorrow. Now the trick is to find one...

SDR

Postby SDR » Wed 25 Nov, 2015 09:23 am

387/386/379/299

Not as good of a week, and up slightly from a mid week weigh in, but officially down from last week, so I'll take it. Simultaneously looking forward to and dreading Thanksgiving, particularly since we'll be doing it twice (Thursday with one batch of family, Saturday with another).

KMD

Postby KMD » Mon 30 Nov, 2015 08:59 pm

179/179/175/130

I am thrilled with this, because I gained back up to 180, and I have been eating some carbs, and Thanksgiving and all that. So getting a 179 on the scale this morning was a pleasant surprise.

SDR, how are you doing? And Momma?
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 01 Dec, 2015 12:18 pm

Pfft. I got down in the 180 area by Thanksgiving morning, because of being off work all week. I really didn't overdo Thanksgiving, but by Saturday I was back up in the 183s. Into the 182s today and keep hoping.

Keep going, both of you!

SDR

Postby SDR » Wed 02 Dec, 2015 04:02 pm

I overdid Thanksgiving. It was like a long cheat weekend. I'm probably back on the diet about 2/3 right now. Last I looked unofficially I was back up into the low 390s. Need to do an official weigh in, just haven't yet.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 03 Dec, 2015 11:49 am

I thought I'd share what I know of an interesting plan called interim fasting. (I think.) The idea is that it takes the body a while to start burning fat, so if you hold off on eating in the morning, it can help with weight loss. The old idea that people who skip breakfast are fatter has been disproven, or at least looked at a different way. That's only true if you then try to make up for it later in the day. So basically you stop eating after dinner, and if you then can wait a few hours after you get up to start again, your body will be in fat-burning mode.

I think you can look it up, because I'm not explaining well. It explains why I always lose weight when I'm off work and can get up and get busy and not start eating right away. I can do it when I'm working if I can get past about 8:30, but it's hard to break the habit of eating right away.

SDR

Postby SDR » Sat 12 Dec, 2015 02:36 pm

So my last update involved excuses about Thanksgiving, but really, I wasn't done yet. It took me a few more days of gluttony to really get back on the band wagon. So by the Thursday after Thanksgiving, it was as though I hadn't dieted at all:

386/398/379/299

But since that Thursday (a scant 9 days ago, having just weighed in a few minutes ago):

398/384.2/379/299

So I'm finally back on track. {knock on wood} Hopefully Christmas won't be as bad as Thanksgiving.

So if we measure by the total time I've been on the diet (including the reverse diet of Thanksgiving and the week following), my average weight loss is about 2.3 pounds per week.

If we only measure the last nine days though, it's about 1.5 pounds per *day* (or 10.7 pounds per week).

I'm fairly sure there is a certain amount of water weight in this, but there is also plenty of legitimate weight loss too. YAY ME!

SDR

Postby SDR » Mon 14 Dec, 2015 06:35 am

Weighed myself just before bed on a lark:

384.2/379.0/369.9/299.9

Yeah, I'm using decimal points. My scale would be sad if I didn't after all the effort {huge effort} it goes though to display them.

19 pounds down, 9.1/79.1 to go...

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 14 Dec, 2015 11:40 am

Yay you for sure! That is great!
Nothing good to report here. I'm holding on, in spite of all the junk I'm making for giving away (and eating plenty of it) but I seriously dread the week after Christmas, when I will feel the need to clean up any junk that's left. We have our Family Ordeal this Sunday, and my one sister, in particular, tends to bring whatever junk food anyone has given them and leaves it for me. Yes, I could just throw it away, and maybe this time I will, at least the stuff I don't really even like that much. But I also cut back on the number of desserts at the Ordeal itself, which will help.
But I way overate at the ward Christmas party Saturday night, and at my staff Christmas party on Thursday, and I don't know why I can't be reasonable.

SDR

Postby SDR » Mon 14 Dec, 2015 08:56 pm

Part of my huge weight gain after Thanksgiving was our ward Christmas party. Soup and chili galore!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 15 Dec, 2015 11:31 am

Ham and funeral potatoes. I LOVE ham, if it's not sweet or covered with cloves, and this was good stuff. And I nibbled at my own funeral potato ingredients as I was making them, and then had two servings when I got there. And pecan pie, although I scraped off the pecans. I like them okay, but what I want in pecan pie is that pure sugar. Yeah, my weight problem doesn't surprise me at all.

SDR

Postby SDR » Tue 15 Dec, 2015 01:35 pm

I'm the exact opposite with pecan pie. A little sugar as glue to hold a bushel of pecans together is what I want. Really, I prefer pecan bars. Crust, a little layer of sweet, and a nice ratio of pecans on top.

KMD

Postby KMD » Wed 23 Dec, 2015 08:57 am

179/178/175/130

Woo! I don't know how I lost a pound over the holidays, I have been a cheater on my diet! However it happened, hooray! Only 3 lbs from my next goal!

I saw my doctor yesterday, and got good news on my bloodwork too. A1C is 6.4, BP was good too. Although, my legs are staying swollen, so she added a water pill to my bp med. So, everything is on track with me. How's everyone else faring through this holiday season?

SDR

Postby SDR » Wed 23 Dec, 2015 01:36 pm

I'm going with this as my official weigh in:

379.0/378.2/369.9/299.9

That was on Monday (I think). I'm above that at the moment, but I had a lot of water yesterday and was really good on my diet, so I'm not too worried.

Well, I'm worried about the delicious foods that will be in the house over the next few days. But not worried about whether I was good yesterday.

KMD

Postby KMD » Tue 29 Dec, 2015 04:24 pm

178/178/175/130

Happy to still be at 178 through the holidays. I have been a lazy slug since Christmas, mostly catching up on sleep and playing video games.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 30 Dec, 2015 07:55 pm

I'm back in the 183s, but I was in the 186s a week ago, and Christmas was very much not sugar-free. I still have a table full of chocolate, too, but I'll try not to eat it all myself. If only other people would do their part around here.

Return to “Main Forum”