The Village's Mutual Improvement Society

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

Lady Celtic

The Village's Mutual Improvement Society

Postby Lady Celtic » Mon 09 Jan, 2012 11:45 am

All righty, to go with the new year and the subsequent resolutions, we now have a new thread to encourage each other in our attempts to live more healthily, eat more mindfully, lose weight, and to do a little better every day. So let us go forth and be supportive!
You're unique, just like everyone else!

Momma Snider

Re: The Village's Mutual Improvement Society

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 09 Jan, 2012 12:36 pm

That's a good name!
I started back to work today. I got up early enough to do a little Wii Fit, and so far I'm eating like I would have at home, meaning I've had three glasses of water and nothing to actually eat yet. I'm going to drink some protein water.

I know they say over and over again that you have to eat a good breakfast to lose weight, but if I eat something, I'm always hungry again within two hours, unless I eat a HUGE breakfast. Of course what I really need to learn is that I don't have to eat just because I feel hunger pangs, but I don't expect that to come through any time soon.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Mon 09 Jan, 2012 06:08 pm

I like the name!! Well done, Lady C.

I spent the day shivering and feeling puny under my covers, even though it was an unseasonably warm-ish day, with sunshine. Periodically I would emerge and run to the Facilities.

Tomorrow will be a better day. I fully intend to get a shower, and step on the scale for a Starting Weight. I had not the nerve to do so a few months ago, when I was at the mercy of my mindless snacking and the loss of my will to live. (Not entirely kidding. But mostly.)

Here's to a healthy, happy and vigorous 2012 for everyone in The Village who is struggling with...well, ANYTHING. That about covers everyone, doesn't it?
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Wed 11 Jan, 2012 10:24 am

Thanks! The name came in part because I've been reading novels set at the turn of the century, like Anne of Green Gables, and so my brain is just stuck in that era at the moment.

Anyway.

Momma, might I share what the doctor told The Hub, who complained of the same thing? He said that if The Hub would have a serving of protein with his breakfast, i.e. a cup of cottage cheese or a hard boiled egg, it would help him feel full longer. It's been two months now and according to The Hub, it works! The doctor also said those who eat the same things all the time lose weight faster and maintain the weight loss, but I say those are boring people. Or I say that I have Kitchen ADD. One of the two.

Auntie K, I hope you feel better soon. I wish I could do more to help!

And now for the stats:

175/175/170/160

Honestly, I'm so pleased to be at 175 that I'm not sure I care about those last 15 pounds. But I still want to fit into my clothes better, so I suppose I'd better keep going. And The Baby is starting on solids (!), so I'm not going to have my free 300 calories a day soon and I have some mental adjustments to make.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Wed 11 Jan, 2012 01:30 pm

Yesterday it was unseasonably warm and sunny, and we ended up going over to see Mom at the nursing home. I did step on the scale, and it was a very respectable 174.2. MUCH more desirable than the 199.4 a couple of months ago, that threw me into a panic. It was, I hope, my wake-up call from lethargy and depression, wherein I used the Head Under The Covers Method of weight control for the past year or so. I know I was over 200, which was uncomfortable, ungainly, horrible, unmanaged and unmanageable--for me--because of my reduced muscular strength. Projecting that continuation into the future was not acceptable.

So, just to give myself a pat on the back for my head start on 2012, I'm gonna use those figures for my first two stats:

200 / 174.2 / 159 / 143

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 11 Jan, 2012 01:49 pm

That's awesome, amazing, and exciting! I hope the momentum that comes from seeing results keeps your spirits up!

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Wed 11 Jan, 2012 05:52 pm

Thanks! Me too!

iamroch

Postby iamroch » Wed 11 Jan, 2012 06:43 pm

Good job, Auntie K!
Indifference. It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.
-------------
The Mrs.' blog

lisapants

Postby lisapants » Thu 12 Jan, 2012 12:20 am

Great job, Auntie K!

I wish I had motivation. I don't like where I'm at, but I seem to keep repeating the same bad habits that keep me here. I KNOW what to do to change things, I just can't seem to make them a priority.

And LC, the package is in the mail. I really hope it fits! You'll have to send me pictures.

Oh, yeah, about the protein for breakfast, my MIL just ordered us 30 lbs of bacon. I'm not sure how I feel about that. She swears it's the best bacon in the world, but I really don't think we need THIRTY FRAKKIN POUNDS of it. Anyone want to come over for breakfast?
<------- Ondipants, Babyloo, and Little Buddy

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 12 Jan, 2012 09:54 am

That's a whole lotta bacon!

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Thu 12 Jan, 2012 10:46 am

The mind reels.

Um, did she sense that you and Adam were bacon-deficient, and she just wanted to make sure your needs were being met as carnivores? No, really, I am staggered by the thought of anyone in Tom's family or mine being that ... generous.

Where do you store THIRTY FRAKKIN' POUNDS of bacon? I'm not sure my freezer could hold it, even with the extra one out in the garage.

lisapants

Postby lisapants » Thu 12 Jan, 2012 11:31 am

Adam's parents are big breakfast people. They love to make a big breakfast with eggs, bacon, pancakes, sausage, etc. Adam and I, on the other hand, not so much. We're more cereal people, and Adam makes waffles occasionally. They LOVE this bacon, and they thought we would, too. The company also does chicken, and Adam's parents have ordered meat from this company for their other kids in the past. Now the company has an outlet in San Antonio, apparently, so Adam's mom was so excited to be able to get us some at last. She wanted half the order to be chicken, but they were all out, so we get all bacon! Yay!

I'm not sure where we're going to put it...
<------- Ondipants, Babyloo, and Little Buddy

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Thu 12 Jan, 2012 02:56 pm

That's when you offer it to the bishop for the next ward dinner/breakfast. Because HOLY CRAP, that's a lot of bacon!

I'm looking forward to the package, Lisa! There will definitely be pictures.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 12 Jan, 2012 03:31 pm

I just passed up a giant cookie and virtuously drank my SlimFast for lunch. Then someone handed me a grilled cheese sandwich, not even a very good one (packaged for the cafeteria) and I ate it.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Thu 12 Jan, 2012 05:35 pm

Oh, Laurie...! Don't you remember, Grilled Cheese Sandwiches Are The Debbil???!!!

After my last back surgery, (still under the mistaken belief that the body gets its most usable calcium from dairy products) Tom made me grilled cheese sandwiches every day for months on end, followed by an ice cream cone, because we thought I was strengthening my bones and increasing my bone density, so I could 'go on a diet' later, after I was back on my feet and into full physical activity.

So I packed on about 40 to 50 pounds in 2.5 years, and then the physical activity wasn't possible, and Bob's Your Uncle...

Good going on resisting the cookie and drinking the Slim Fast, though. I would have been defenseless in the face of a grilled cheese sandwich under those circumstances, as well. No judgment from me.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 12 Jan, 2012 05:56 pm

This was a seriously BAD grilled cheese sandwich, though. I'm still belching rancid oil. It would have totally been worth it for a GOOD one, made with, you know, real cheese...

Belching Rancid Oil. THAT's the name of my next album.

AdamOndi

Postby AdamOndi » Fri 13 Jan, 2012 08:21 am

Yeah, 30 pounds of bacon is a LOT. It's going to last us forever.

I kind of wish I had more time every morning to actually cook breakfast. I like cereal, but waffles, eggs, and bacon makes for a much more special meal.
Check out our blog [url=http://adamandlisahansen.blogspot.com]at this link[/url].

KMD

Postby KMD » Fri 13 Jan, 2012 09:38 am

Congrats Karenin! That is great!

OK, so time for me to start, and what a lousy start it is!

175/179/130/174

I cannot believe it, this is an all-time non-pregnant high for me. I have been a slug lately, not watching what I'm eating, not much exercise, or anything. I have been wearing the Fitbit and trying to get in more stairs because of that, but that's about the only good thing I can comment on.

And this week, we've had some contractors in at work, and I know how much it stinks to travel constantly, live out of hotel rooms, and eat nothing but restaurant food, so I took pity on them and made 2 giant pans of lasagna, homemade rolls, salad, and cookies, and the whole team had a real lunch together. Which, in terms of teamwork, was awesome. In terms of my waistline, not awesome. :?

So, I'm going to set a goal of 174 by the end of January. And I'm shooting for a minimum of 5,000 steps a day, and 10 flights of stairs a day. I need to get off my tush, and move it, move it!
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 13 Jan, 2012 10:08 am

I've gained five pounds this week. Five pounds. This week. The only good thing I can say is that I exercised at least a little every day, but no, it was not enough to have built muscle, which is the comforting thing people always say when you say you started exercising and gained weight.

I'm thinking maybe once the tub of excellent White Cheddar cheese is gone, or at least moldy or something, I'll do better...

And I finally remembered to cook some turkey bacon this morning for my breakfast. All this talk of bacon was too much for me, but turkey bacon is only 35 calories.

KMD

Postby KMD » Fri 13 Jan, 2012 12:42 pm

I have come to love turkey bacon, where before I thought it an Abomination and not a real food product. It's like it's made of the best parts of bacon, all meat and no fatty pieces to chomp your way through! LOVE!

But I really got on here to post my total frustration and utter hatred of scales. I mean I really hate scales! My bathroom scale this morning weighed me at 179. Then later in the day (we're having a snow day) my son wanted to play Wii Fit, and while it was out, I went ahead and weighed myself on there. It weighed me at 173! So then I immediately went back into the bathroom and weighed myself again on the first scale, and it said 183! For crying out loud, that's an overall difference of 10 lbs! I'm a math person, I like accuracy! This is driving me crazy!
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Return to “Main Forum”