The Village's Mutual Improvement Society

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

KMD

Re: The Village's Mutual Improvement Society

Postby KMD » Thu 17 Mar, 2016 08:05 pm

Good going Momma! Keep going!

I am holding steady at 179. Went to the doctor Monday AM for bloodwork to check my a1c, had to fast. So when I left, I treated myself to a small cinnamon dulce latte from Starbucks. It's my favorite coffee drink, and I only have it once or twice in a year. Well, on an empty stomach, even a small had so much sugar in it, I felt awful. Then I grabbed breakfast at McDonald's, so I could get back to the office quickly, and that was a greasy carb-fest. I felt absolutely awful the rest of the day, headache, buzzing in my ears, dizziness, stomachache. Why did I ever "treat" myself to garbage? This morning my "treat" was fresh strawberries in my yogurt, much better. Anyway, I'll get the results of said bloodwork next week. If the a1c continues to stay low, then my doc is going to see me less frequently, which is all we really want out of life, to see less of our doctors.

We have had some fantastic weather lately, and I've been taking advantage of it by trying for a quick walk at lunch, or walking to pick my son up from school. Or both if I can swing it. Unfortunately, lovely weather is leaving for a while, the weather report is predicting snow on Sunday. :?
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 18 Mar, 2016 09:47 am

"all we really want out of life, to see less of our doctors."
Ain't that the truth!

It's funny how eating right gets to feel good after a while, and then doing something like McDonald's and sugary drinks will throw you for a loop. Kind of a good thing to know, huh?

My current doctor hasn't ever done an A1C. I fasted for my last labs, and they just did the basic glucose or whatever, and it was 106, which I know is a tad high, but not bad enough to even make him comment on it. I was actually glad he didn't do the A1C, because the past three months had been a total sugar fest. I still eat at least a little bit of sugar nearly every day, but sometimes it's just a few chocolate chips, so I'm doing much, much better. (Just in time for Easter...)

I still need to make it a point to stand up and walk around a few times during the day. Or do more housework and yardwork when I get home, now that it's light later.

More snow, KMD? That's crazy. We can't even get rain. I won't complain about the beautiful weather we are having, though, unlike some of my coworkers. They've already started with the "If it's this hot now, think how hot it will be in the summer!" Um, it's 86 degrees, and nice and dry. Perfect, really. This is NOT how it will be in the summer.

KMD

Postby KMD » Mon 21 Mar, 2016 06:20 pm

Snow in April is normal around here, it can happen in May. This year the winter was very mild, only one serious snowstorm to speak of, and the spring flowers are all in bloom. It ended up not snowing, but it did get cold enough to.

Hanging in there at 179. Really wish I could get lower, but I've kind of accepted this is my "plateau" weight, and if I want to lose more, I'm going to have to either live on salads, or bust my butt exercising. Neither one sounds appealing, so I'm going to just try and stay here a while. I have been walking when it is nice out. Need to do more of that.

Doctor's appt went very well, my A1c is 6.4, she's happy enough with that to drop me to seeing her every 6 months. The gastroenterologist thing is a " Non-Compete" contract all the local gastros agreed to, that's why no one will see me, unless I go out of town. It's ok, my regular doc just went ahead and wrote me a Rx for the meds they would have put me on anyway. :?

SDR

Postby SDR » Thu 24 Mar, 2016 06:24 pm

I've been largely in a holding pattern. Up a little, down a little, as is to be expected. But I did weigh myself one day last week and it was good, so I'll share:

371.6/371.2/369.9/299.9

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 19 Apr, 2016 11:00 am

Still disgusted with myself. Nothing's going to change unless something changes. We'll see how that goes.

KMD

Postby KMD » Sat 23 Apr, 2016 06:36 am

Sorry I haven't posted in forever, there's only so many ways you can say "Yeah, no progress. Still at 179, not going anywhere..."

KMD

Postby KMD » Tue 26 Apr, 2016 05:12 am

Except THIS week it's 177 and I am super excited about it. Not thrilled with how it happened though. A week full of meetings right through lunch, and our cafeteria has degraded in quality so badly, I either started lunch and it was so awful, I threw half of it away, or opted for a salad instead...

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 26 Apr, 2016 11:04 am

Whatever it takes! I can't imagine food being so bad that I can't eat it, unfortunately.
I had a little revelation, though, kind of a "duh" moment. I quit walking before Thanksgiving because it was cold and I was tired. I stayed busy that month anyway, but starting right after Christmas I gained about 10 lbs. I did start exercising again in February, but just as the exercise I was doing before wasn't enough to make me lose weight, but helped me maintain the ridiculous weight around 180, now I'm exercising again but only maintaining my 187, if I'm lucky and if not too many people bring me cookies or whatever.
But good for you, KMD! I'm happy for you!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 27 Apr, 2016 09:42 am

Ha! And today is Administrative Assistant Day! So yesterday I didn't eat the croissants and chicken salad that someone brought, but when someone brought in a tuxedo cake from Costco, I did eat. And I felt sick afterwards, and made me feel like I wouldn't want any today, but this is a whole new day. This morning someone brought sweet rolls for breakfast, which are fairly easy to resist, and chili and corn muffins for lunch. Someone else brought a bag of Godiva chocolate caramels (I've had two already) and someone else brought chile rellenos, which I hope to take home. I'll just do my best.

SDR

Postby SDR » Thu 12 May, 2016 02:10 pm

I've been holding fairly steady. Tomorrow is a regularly scheduled doctor's appointment where I find out how poorly I've done for the last four months and vow to do better.

KMD

Postby KMD » Thu 12 May, 2016 06:13 pm

Come on SDR, time to get back on the wagon and make some progress.

I've been 178 for 2 weeks now, but had many complements from coworkers about how good I look. One this week was " I mean, I don't WANT to get diabetes, but it sure is working out well for you!" In reality, I've lost only 17, 18 lbs, but that's almost 10% of my original body weight, and I'm so short, it has made a dramatic difference on my frame. I saw my dad a few weeks back, and he was staring at me and just waving his hands at my face, and then I realized what he meant, but didn't want to say, so I said it for him. " Yes, I know, I lost a chin, you don't have to point it out." :)

SDR

Postby SDR » Fri 13 May, 2016 04:16 pm

I had a doctor appt this morning and I was down about three pounds since January, and I'm down about 30 pounds from a year ago he said.

Whatever, today is a good day to die(t).

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 16 May, 2016 08:38 am

I have a renewed determination. I listen to my scriptures while I'm walking, when I walk, so I have two reasons to do it (and two reasons to feel guilty if I don't). I headed out this morning a did a good, brisk 1 1/2 miles. And I brought appropriate food for the day, too! We'll see.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 19 May, 2016 11:43 am

I have walked every morning this week! And I have not eaten any ice cream, and really hardly any sweets at all. This morning I put on a shirt with wide horizontal stripes, and one of the stripes happened to coincide exactly with the roll of fat around my middle, which was emphasized by my pants having been freshly laundered. The shirt was a little snug anyway, which only made it worse, and the convex portion of my midsection matched up exactly with the concave part of my arms below the elbows. So it was quite a sight, which I quickly decided was not for public view. I'm a little depressed about it, but there it is.

SDR

Postby SDR » Thu 19 May, 2016 01:30 pm

Better to notice it before leaving the house. Sandee had a "book club activity" on Saturday (which I'm not convinced actually includes books, but I digress) and wore a shirt inside out, and no one noticed (or bothered to tell her) until they were leaving the restaurant where they met.

KMD

Postby KMD » Thu 02 Jun, 2016 11:52 am

Sorry Momma. We all have outfits like that, sad to say. Mine is a red, white & blue stripey number that is partially see-through, which has a built-in white tank for modesty. It is really cute, and so USA holiday appropriate, but the horizontal stripes, plus the clinginess, plus the tank which cuts rather too low for me... on me it just looks like overweight patriotic blargh. Why I haven't banished it from my closet I'll never know. But every once in a while, when I am having a good self esteem day, I take it out and try it on. Usually with jeans or shorts that give me muffin top. And all that good self esteem just melts away....

And Scott! Tell Sandee those are not good friends if they don't tell her she's got a shirt on inside out! Last month I was at a conference for work, and after events, a group of co-workers and I all went out to see the sites. Walked San Diego for hours, went back to the hotel to "freshen up" before dinner, then met back up for the conference dinner/party. Later that evening, I'm walking with 2 of the co-workers from before, and one said " Do you think one of us should have told John about the bird poop on his shirt?" We let him walk around like that all day, all of us noticed it and no one said anything to him! And he wore the same shirt to dinner, still no one said anything! So, I asked one of the guys "If that was you, would you want to be told?" and he said Yes. My response was "OK, then, just so you know, I think your fly is down." and it was. So, this is now my criteria for friendship. If you would just let someone walk around with bird poop or an unzipped fly, that is a co-worker/acquaintance. If you would tell them, that's a friend. :D

Back on the subject of weight, I have been holding steady at 178, which is less than 179 so I'll take it. I don't know what it is, but that 178/179 weight, that one pound is like a threshold for me. Not explaining that well... ok, so I feel and look ridiculously slimmer at 178 than at 179. It's not a big difference from 179 to 180, it looks the same. Or 177 and 178, they are the same. But the difference from 178 to 179 means jeans fit better, people will complement me on my weight loss, all in that one little pound! It's bizarre!

SDR

Postby SDR » Thu 02 Jun, 2016 01:53 pm

I don't know that anyone deliberated avoided telling her. She said one of her friends was following her out of the restaurant and noticed the tag on her back.

If that's the worst thing that ever happens to her, she's a lucky person.

KMD

Postby KMD » Thu 02 Jun, 2016 06:23 pm

Very true. And at least a bird didn't poop on her. :D

SDR

Postby SDR » Thu 02 Jun, 2016 11:40 pm

Indeed!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 03 Jun, 2016 10:04 am

I guess it was 30 or so years ago that wearing the shirt inside out was the style. I could never have done it, because I'd be too afraid that the style had gone out THAT MORNING and I'd be a laughingstock. Mostly I sit behind my desk so it doesn't matter what my lower half looks like, but I do try to stand up now and then.

KMD, did you LOVE San Diego? I do. Mostly because my grandparents lived there, I guess, but the weather is perfect, and it's just beautiful. And you were only about 70 miles from me!

I have made no progress in weight loss. 189 is just unacceptable. I keep seeing FB posts about how we're supposed to love our bodies and ourselves no matter what shape we're in, because we are beautiful, blah blah blah. Well, I do love myself, and I have many good qualities, and I love my body for all it has done for me, but I am not treating it well, and that makes me ashamed. It's like if I didn't take care of my child or my dog.

But then I often gave my kids and my dogs food that weren't great for them, so that theory doesn't work, either.

Return to “Main Forum”