spegs

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

SDR

spegs

Postby SDR » Sun 12 Feb, 2012 12:39 am

I don't know if spegs still haunts the board at all, but just in case she does:

Even though the Twilight Saga isn't a genre that really jumps out and grabs me (though I really enjoy Eric's screen play adaptations), I wanted to say thanks for writing these books that are among a select few that have motivated my 14 year old to enjoy reading (along with the Percy Jackson books and The Hunger Games).

It occurred to me to write this after we bought the latest bluray release. How much of that goes in your pocket anyway? KIDDING!

Anyway, seriously, thanks.

ImAdhis

Re: spegs

Postby ImAdhis » Sun 12 Feb, 2012 02:13 pm

I'll pipe in and say thank you for following through with a dream. So many of us say we wish we could do Such-and-Such and one day we'll do This Thing but then never follow through.

Thank you for moving forward even when not knowing where it would all lead and for setting the example for those who are just realizing one does not need to know what will lie in the darkness, but that they only need to take The Next Step.
www.NewMoneyMama.com

KMD

Postby KMD » Mon 13 Feb, 2012 08:15 am

And I'll add in a Thanks for writing something that got me reading again. I used to read all the time, but had gotten so busy with work, and caught up in being a new mommy, that it had been years since I picked up a book, cracked the cover and read simply for enjoyment. And it was the combination of the prospect of a boring plane ride, and all the fervor on this message board over the Twilight books, that got me excited about reading again.
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 13 Feb, 2012 10:01 am

And I thank you for The Host. I read and enjoyed the Twilight series, and my daughters and granddaughter and former daughter-in-law and my best friend and some of my favorite teachers here at work did, too. But I place The Host as one of my favorite books of all time. I'm not sure what it is about it, and I do have to admit that it took about 80 pages to get into it, but I just love it.

Card

Postby Card » Mon 13 Feb, 2012 07:05 pm

And thanks for being something to talk about. Thanks for providing another "tradition" for my friends and I to see the movies. Thanks for providing me some interesting literature that I could devour on a long plane ride. Thanks for having nice cover art on your books. Thanks for being the inspiration for a Halloween costume with glitter (pre-craze, so nobody knew who I was supposed to be - oh well). Thanks for having inspired the worst puzzle I have ever done (1000 pieces black and white Edward and Bella - it took FOREVER). And thanks, especially, for writing some things to read that weren't typical of any books I had ever read.

Eric's Fat Brother

Postby Eric's Fat Brother » Tue 14 Feb, 2012 12:17 pm

I just like to impress the young girls in my Sunday School class when they see that I have Stephenie Meyer in my cell phone.
Jeff J. Snider
"I'm crazy but I get the job done."
My NEW weight-loss blog

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 14 Feb, 2012 12:35 pm

And then Brandon Mull was Lindsay's coach, and he's been to your house for dinner. You are the coolest!

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Tue 14 Feb, 2012 02:21 pm

Thanks for providing material to be academic with so I'd have an excuse to go to the Life, The Universe, and Everything symposium last year.
You're unique, just like everyone else!

KMD

Postby KMD » Mon 20 Feb, 2012 12:53 pm

Momma! I just happened to wander over to stepheniemeyer.com, which hasn't updated in FOREVER, and by the looks of things, they've begun filming on The Host on Feb. 13th! Hooray!
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

GenAdFemale

Postby GenAdFemale » Wed 04 Apr, 2012 12:03 pm

I too have to thank Stephenie Meyer for the Twilight series--I've had some great movie nights with my family with the movies (and Rifftrax, dare I admit that in a forum where Ms Meyer might actually read?), and especially for The Host, which, like Momma S, I LOVE. And I have to thank Spegs for the hug she gave me at the book signing for The Host and for telling her handler, who got a little perturbed that Spegs gave out a hug, that "she and I knew who each other were before Twlight."

(I haven't been on the board in so long!)

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 04 Apr, 2012 12:58 pm

No, GenAd, you have NOT been here for a while! Facebook is good for mass information, but we need a little personal input from you now and then!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 01 Mar, 2013 12:16 pm

I am so excited to see The Host! Not that I'm likely to go on opening night or anything, but I'll probably see it during my spring break if I'm home. I rarely look forward to movies, even if I've read the books, but I am so intrigued by the cave system in the book that I really want to see how it's shown. Also, I have a friend who shares my taste in reading, for the most part, but she never would read The Host. She tried, and only got 50 pages or so into it a couple of different times and then quit. Not because it was slow starting, which it was (in my opinion) but because it seemed so bleak and depressing to her to think of aliens having made so much impact on humanity. I kept TELLING her to keep reading, but she never did. But she loves to watch movies, and I'm sure she will at least watch this one once it's on DVD, possibly in the theater, and THEN she'll read the book and we can be in accord once again.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Fri 01 Mar, 2013 05:35 pm

Hmm. I'm tired of reading on my Kindle (or on my Android tablet I got for Christmas), and just was hankerin' for a good, old-fashioned paper book, full of booky bookness, to read.

I bought "The Host" when it was published, and lent it out for several other people to read, but I still have not read it.

Since it is once again sitting in the bookcase in my front room, I think I just decided which Actual Book I'm gonna read now.

(And in keeping with the thread, thank you, spegs, for being the inspiration for so many wonderful things! And thanks for the hug I also got when you did a signing at Joseph-Beth in Cincinnati a few years back. I gave you a loaf of homemade Hawaiian Banana Nut Bread, and had somebody take a picture of us. You do rock!)

(I just spent about 20 minutes locating and trying to post the picture, but I can't get the size reduced enough to fit the Board's requirements. I could PUT IT ON FACEBOOK WITH NO PROBLEM, but I'm too dumn to know how to do it here. Sorry.)
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 03 Apr, 2014 01:23 pm

So, KareNin, did you like The Host? It's still one of my favorite books ever, because I love Safety in the Midst of Dystopia.

That will be the name of my next album.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Thu 03 Apr, 2014 07:27 pm

You SHOULD have a band, Momma. Or there should be a job at a record company somewhere that solely deals with coming up with unique band names, and you should have that job. We'd all be your references, of course. :D

SO, I finished rereading the Twilight series again. It's been a few years, and obviously public opinion has taken a pendulum ride and swung against it, but you know what? I still love it. A lot. The characterization is fantastic, the world-building is solid, and the endings are good. Breaking Dawn is still my favorite of the four, because Bella's power comes to fruition after she becomes a mother, and what a powerful message is that?!

I hope spegs still checks in every once in a while, because I want her to know that I'm still a huge fan of the books, and I always will be. She's a great writer and she created a world that I really enjoy being a part of.
You're unique, just like everyone else!

SDR

Postby SDR » Thu 03 Apr, 2014 08:01 pm

Lady Celtic wrote:I hope spegs still checks in every once in a while, because I want her to know that I'm still a huge fan of the books, and I always will be. She's a great writer and she created a world that I really enjoy being a part of.

{like}

Return to “Main Forum”