Big Bang Theory

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

iamroch

Big Bang Theory

Postby iamroch » Mon 23 Apr, 2012 03:17 pm

So, a few weeks ago, we were at a client's house watching TV, sitting with their dogs. Their DVR came on and started ercording Big Bang Theory. We had never watched it before, we pretty much don't watch any shows on CBS since The Unit (they don't seem to interest us).

We couldn't change the channel so we watched the show. It was pretty terrible. Not funny at all. And it wasn't just that we didn't know the characters. It was pretty grating.

Since then we have heard a few different people who LOVE the show. I can't make enough emphasis how much they love this show.

So my question is: Did we watch a stinker of an episode or is the show actually awful or do we just not get it? I'd like to hear some opinions because it's starting to become a humor barometer for Stacia and me. A few of the people who love it are not exactly Nobel candidates. We aren't big comedy snobs (we love Happy Gilmore and Billy Madison), but BBT was just so bad. It was something I would expect to see on the Disney Channel.

Are we just missing the boat or is this show truly awful?
Indifference. It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.
-------------
The Mrs.' blog

KareNin

Re: Big Bang Theory

Postby KareNin » Mon 23 Apr, 2012 05:13 pm

Ahhh. Finally a question I can answer with some authority (not really, but humor me here).

The first time I watched "The Big Bang Theory," I was so turned off by the entire show that I don't think I even got to the end before switching to something else, or just getting up and going away. I thought all the characters were such stereotypes; they were creepy and icky and unlikable, and it seemed like the plot was a one-note song about the various geeky guys trying to score with women. Period.

I didn't even consider revisiting the show until a few months ago, when my son Dennis kept telling me I would probably really like it, if I watched it from the beginning. He had streamed Episodes 1 through 95 on hulu.com, and he burned me 4 discs so that I could watch from the beginning and get a feel for the character development and the intersecting plots, etc.

I was very skeptical, because it had seemed like such a dismal show when I tried to watch it before. I had promised to give it another try, however, so I put in the first disc and started watching.

Sure enough, I started falling in love with every one of those smart, nerdy guys, and now I think it's one of my favorite shows ever. I remember feeling the same disdain for "Arrested Development" when everyone was raving about it. I jumped in about midway through Season 2, and I hated it so much, I couldn't understand how anyone with functioning brain cells could find it clever or funny.

I don't know, maybe it's like having to get to know certain nerdy people better, before you can see them for the delightful souls they actually are. The quirks make them endearing and vulnerable, and they turn out to be some of the most wonderful friends you ever run across. My friend Rita had the exact same experience with "TBBT," and I have heard several other people say the same thing. Weird.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

SDR

Postby SDR » Mon 23 Apr, 2012 06:34 pm

I can't tell you if you'd like it if you watched it from the beginning, but I can tell you I love the show. I've watched it from the beginning, but I think I would have found it funny regardless of where I jumped in. I can relate to the characters. In fact, here is something from my blog:

What follows is a piece I originally posted on Facebook in February 2011. It should have gone here then. Better late than never!

Note: Sheldon Cooper is a character on the CBS sitcom "The Big Bang Theory" of which Chuck Lorre is a creator / writer / executive producer.

I think there are a lot of similarities between me and Sheldon Cooper. Admittedly, there are many differences between our lives. I am not a world class scientist, for example. I am not quite as socially awkward as he is. That being said, the number of similarities is striking. To me, anyway. I thought I'd share some of them here.

* We both have brown hair and brown eyes.

* His initials "SC" are the first two letters of my first name.

* He is called Shelly by some people, whereas some people call me Scotty.

* We are both from east Texas. (I was born in Dallas, he was born in Galveston.)

* We both have very devout Christian mothers.

* We both prefer DC comics to Marvel comics. (As does anyone with even a modicum of taste.)

* We both have the same Flash shirt. Flash the comic book character, not Flash the web technology. Well, not the exact same shirt, as we wear very different sizes, but the same style shirt.

* I have the domain "Scottopolis.com" and his SimCity is named "Sheldonopolis". (I registered my domain on 18 Feb 2009; the "Sheldonopolis" reference was from the episode that first aired on 22 Mar 2010.)

* We are both scientists. (I am a computer scientist [sans degree] and he has a number of degrees and works in scientific endeavors.)

* According to my wife, we both have undiagnosed autistic tendencies.

* According to my wife, we have a mutual need for a "designated" seat in our living rooms. His is based on a number of factors such as viewing angle to the TV, relative environmental conditions, ability to engage in conversation with other people in the room, and more. Mine is based on it being the only practical location for my computer setup. And I have gladly given up my seat to other people on a number of occasions (whereas he starts to freak out if he can't have his seat) so ... well, it is the grain of truth from which this attribute of Sheldon was created.

* According to my wife, we are both very literal. (I'm beginning to think my wife doesn't care for me.) Again, I think I do it more for the humor whereas he just is that literal, so ... yeah, I'm explaining away a lot of things, huh?

* We both enjoy math & science related humor. You know what I find odd? 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, ... {bwah ha ha!}

* In the opinion of some, we're both overly impressed with our own intellect.

* We both have fairly generic accents most of the time, but revert to {relatively slight} Texas accents when we are in that environment. Note that I tend to do that anyway with any accents I am around (I once briefly slipped into an Australian accent while on a conference call to Australia.) I'm not claiming to be great at accents, just that it is something I naturally do.

* In a recent episode, he wrote a one act play set in the Star Trek universe, and cast himself in the role of Spock. As a small child, my cousin cast me in the role of Spock when we would role play Star Trek (as he reserved the role of Captain Kirk for himself).

* He (referring to Jim Parsons who plays Sheldon Cooper) and I are both award winning actors. (I won a number of awards for one act plays in high school, including the district best actor award four years running; he's won a few insignificant awards like the emmy and the golden globe.)

Note: This list is certainly not exhaustive, but it's what comes to mind at the moment. Feel free to make comments, and I may integrate them into the list.

Anyway, Chuck Lorre, I'd be willing to settle on this for something in the neighborhood of $50,000. Heck, I'd be happy to become a consultant to the show! Send me a private message and we can work out the details. ;)

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Mon 23 Apr, 2012 09:16 pm

And Sandee has to sing "Soft Kitty" to you when you are sick, right?

Did your MeeMaw call you MoonPie?
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

SDR

Postby SDR » Mon 23 Apr, 2012 09:37 pm

No, Sandee does not sing Soft Kitty.

No, my Mee Maw did not call me Moon Pie.

My paternal Mee Maw was from Oklahoma, however. Yet another part of my life's backstory stolen by Chuck Lorre.

lisapants

Postby lisapants » Tue 24 Apr, 2012 11:51 am

We love The Big Bang Theory, and have loved it ever since we started watching. We also love that the theme song is sung by The Barenaked Ladies.
<------- Ondipants, Babyloo, and Little Buddy

iamroch

Postby iamroch » Wed 25 Apr, 2012 03:47 pm

KareNin wrote:I remember feeling the same disdain for "Arrested Development" when everyone was raving about it. I jumped in about midway through Season 2, and I hated it so much, I couldn't understand how anyone with functioning brain cells could find it clever or funny.

I guess I can understand this a bit now. I think we were watching another show at the same time slot when it first came out. I do like geeky stuff, so it might have been funny to me.

I really don't like starting a show part way in. I like to see the pilot and not miss any episodes. So that makes some sense that the characters grow on you. I remember watching the pilot for 30 Rock and thinking "meh", but it grew on us and became really funny.

Thanks for helping me see the other side of the coin.
Indifference. It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

-------------

The Mrs.' blog

Return to “Main Forum”