Help: Airlines and small kids

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

KMD

Help: Airlines and small kids

Postby KMD » Thu 24 May, 2012 11:08 am

I need some advice from folks who have been on airplanes recently with small children. I'm taking my 5 year old son on his first flight this weekend, and I realized, I have to have my driver's license and boarding pass, but what documentation do I need for him? Tsa.gov is saying nothing is needed under 18 years old, but in this post 9/11 world, I'm having trouble believing that. Now, the airport we are flying out of is teeny tiny, and security is a joke, but I'm concerned about our flight back. Don't want to get stuck at a big airport, many states away from home. So, what do y'all do? I've seen suggestions of bringing his birth certificate and SSN card, but I hate to carry those on vacation if they're not really needed, you know? He does not have a passport, or any other form of photo ID.

So, am I panicking for no reason?
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Momma Snider

Re: Help: Airlines and small kids

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 24 May, 2012 12:50 pm

You don't need anything for them. (I say that like I've traveled with a baby lately, or ever.) I will ask my kids, who might or might not be reading this today, because they both flew out of state recently.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 24 May, 2012 01:01 pm

Southwest asks for birth certificates, but ultimately let the kids on without them. Delta and American just asked the baby's birthdate.

Maybe take a photocopy of the birth certificate, so you're not traveling with the original?

KMD

Postby KMD » Thu 24 May, 2012 01:42 pm

Awesome! Thank you Momma and related Sniders travelling with babies!

Claytonius Maximus

Postby Claytonius Maximus » Thu 24 May, 2012 03:13 pm

My favorite tip about flying with kids is to make sure you take some gum for them to chew.

It'll make those pressure changes much easier on 'em, making their ears "pop" (or whatever the technical term is).

CM
"You know, it's always a great thing when a director looks at you and says, `Even cheesier.'"

lisapants

Postby lisapants » Thu 24 May, 2012 04:40 pm

I've flown with small children on Alaska and Southwest in the past couple years and neither of them required any ID for my kids. Also, kids under 12 don't have to take their shoes off at security any more, so that's a plus. If you are taking any kind of electronic entertainment for the flight, make sure you know how long the battery lasts, and if it will last the whole flight. Happy travels!
<------- Ondipants, Babyloo, and Little Buddy

Eric's Fat Brother

Postby Eric's Fat Brother » Fri 25 May, 2012 03:36 pm

This is probably too late, but Momma's advice (from me) referred only to babies. I didn't realize we were talking more about older children. We have flown with our non-infant children about a billion times, and they don't need anything (unless you're flying international, in which case they need a passport).
Jeff J. Snider
"I'm crazy but I get the job done."
My NEW weight-loss blog

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 25 May, 2012 04:08 pm

So they might ask for a birth certificate for a baby, but not a bigger kid? Is that weird?

ImAdhis

Postby ImAdhis » Mon 28 May, 2012 07:09 pm

Might be a good idea to attach a photo of you and your spouse with your child onto his luggage.
www.NewMoneyMama.com

Eric's Fat Brother

Postby Eric's Fat Brother » Tue 29 May, 2012 09:52 am

The reasons they ask for the birth certificate for the baby are twofold: 1) Make sure the baby is old enough to fly, as different airlines have different restrictions on super young babies; and 2) Make sure the baby isn't over two years old, because once they're two you have to pay for a ticket for them.
Jeff J. Snider
"I'm crazy but I get the job done."
My NEW weight-loss blog

Lowdoggy Dogg

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Thu 31 May, 2012 12:04 pm

TSA will sometimes ask my children their names, in order to make sure they are actually the named passenger, and not a bomb-carrying 2 year old.

I'm sorry if that sentence gets the board seized by the Federal government.

In 7 years of flying with kids at least 2x's a year, the only time I've need ID for them was when we flew to Canada.

KMD

Postby KMD » Mon 04 Jun, 2012 07:58 am

Thanks for all the help guys! I took a copy of his birth certificate, but no one asked for it. They did ask his name, but everyone does, he's a talker, and will engage a trash can in conversation if possible. And I took the gum, and it helped some, but there were a few times he just had to deal. Once, we must have had a major change in pressure fast, because every kid on that flight under the age of 12 all started to scream at the exact same moment! But overall, for his first time on a plane, he did fantastically! Yay!

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Mon 04 Jun, 2012 08:53 am

Great! I hope you had a wonderful time!
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Return to “Main Forum”