Grammar police help

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

KareNin

Re: Grammar police help

Postby KareNin » Tue 12 Jun, 2012 12:09 pm

I'm sure it wouldn't be "statusi." In Latin, the singular of a masculine noun ends in "us" is made plural by DROPPING the "us" and making it "i," so if you wanted to Latinize it, the plural would be "stati." (Cactus, cacti; alumnus, alumni...)

"Statusi" looks like it should rhyme with "Watusi." It's the new Facebook Dance Craze that's sweeping the world!

I think if someone were doing a retrospective about a medical case, for instance, there might be an occasion to discuss the patient's various statuses as the disease progressed. But what do I know, I was edjamacated in Ahia. Eons ago, even.
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

KMD

Postby KMD » Thu 13 Sep, 2012 01:26 pm

I have asked my son's first grade teacher (who has a Master's degree, BTW) to please give me a daily tally of how many points she has had to take from him a day. Because just getting an overall score on Friday makes it tough to correct bad behavior that happened on Tuesday. And she has agreed to do this, and I am glad and grateful. However, I am also irked, because now every week in his agenda she writes "Points Losted". And then I weep a little inside.
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 13 Sep, 2012 01:30 pm

That's crazy! I thought you were headed for a misplaced apostrophe, like maybe Point's Lost, which we could charitably contribute to her being in a hurry. She can't possibly think "losted" is the right word, can she?

KMD

Postby KMD » Thu 13 Sep, 2012 01:35 pm

Oh but she can. She's written it in there 2 weeks in a row.

"Welcome to West Vergenia! You ain't got to dun losted your mind, but it shore helps!"
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

SDR

Postby SDR » Thu 13 Sep, 2012 01:49 pm

Or perhaps (being charitable) she thinks it is cute even though she knows it is wrong. This would be similar to the way my wife and I speak for our dogs, who don't speak English as gooder as we does.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 13 Sep, 2012 02:12 pm

I love the word "losted" when said by a four-year-old. I heard a little boy say that to his two-year-old sister one time, when he was taking care of her while they waited for their mom after church. "We don't want you losted!" was what he said, and I thought it was so cute! But it loses its charm when said by a college-educated, or even high school-educated, or heck, even a first grade-educated person.

SDR

Postby SDR » Thu 13 Sep, 2012 03:10 pm

It's also cute when said in behalf of a toy (size, not actual toy) dog. Trust me.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 13 Sep, 2012 04:36 pm

Oh, I'm sure it is! It *might* even be cute when said to a husband who is late coming home from a church meeting.

lisapants

Postby lisapants » Thu 13 Sep, 2012 11:52 pm

I have another question:

I wrote this comment on Facebook today: It's been a while, but I have read that book before.

Can "it's" mean both "it is" and "it has" (which is what I meant it to be), or is it only a contraction for "it is"?
<------- Ondipants, Babyloo, and Little Buddy

SDR

Postby SDR » Fri 14 Sep, 2012 12:12 am

Google: define "it's"

it's/its/
Contraction:
It is.
It has.

If you can't trust Google, who can you trust?

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 14 Sep, 2012 08:44 am

An apostrophe in a contraction just means a letter (or more) has been removed.

SDR

Postby SDR » Fri 14 Sep, 2012 03:49 pm

But if, while discussing my youngest dog, I wrote "It's food!" instead of "It loves food!" you would be quite worried about my diet. Same applies if I used "she" instead of "it" (which I would, because she's a good girl, not some inanimate object, thank you very much).

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Sat 15 Sep, 2012 05:06 pm

Again I say, Scotty, I love you like a Brothah. And I want to meet Sugar Booger, Spiky Doodle, and Shaka Laka some day. (I just made up the third name. I can't remember his or her actual name. I'm old.)

SDR

Postby SDR » Sat 15 Sep, 2012 05:26 pm

Sunny Bunny would be #3. Shaka Laka? That's crazy talk!

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Sun 16 Sep, 2012 10:42 am

Ironically, "Shaka Laka" in IsiZulu roughly translates to "Rabbit glowing with fire from the sky," or "Sunny Bunny."

Who's using crazy talk now, Scooter?

*Note: Certain elements of this post may not be exactly true.

SDR

Postby SDR » Sun 16 Sep, 2012 07:48 pm

Thank you for the literal LOL moment there. IsiZulu. HA!

lisapants

Postby lisapants » Mon 17 Sep, 2012 11:03 am

You guys crack me up. Good to see you around the interwebz again, Auntie K!
<------- Ondipants, Babyloo, and Little Buddy

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 17 Sep, 2012 11:15 am

Yeah, I think KareNin should come here every day and say something.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Mon 17 Sep, 2012 06:11 pm

Well, since you asked so nicely...

Gosh, thanks, folks! I'm always on Facebook, more or less, and almost every day I check The Village and read everything new, but I don't always say something, because I sometimes get sick of my own posts and just want to be a Silent Observer of Mankind here. Unless something sparks a response, I don't want to just post some words for the sake of hearing my own fingers tapping the keys, you know?

Mostly I'm just so scattered in my energies lately, hopping from one unfinished project to the next, and constantly feeling like I bite off more than I can chew in a day, but lacking a good place to spit out the excess, I struggle and choke and have a massive coughing fit and end up wheezing. It's not pretty. But I will try to post more often, because I do love you all to pieces and I always will. Facebook will never totally replace The Online Village of Nerds. Never, ever.

The end.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 03 Apr, 2014 11:09 am

Coincidentally, I just came to this thread to maybe say something, and I see mention of Spiky, who is SDR's dog who just had a major accident and surgery. Thanks to Facebook, I know Spiky is recovering well, and hope that continues.

What I was going to say is that I'm typing a science handout for a teacher because she doesn't know how to type, and it's a photocopy from an encyclopedia or maybe a science textbook, and the grammar and punctuation are TERRIBLE. Let me quote a paragraph:

"In the diagram above, you will notice that Gill, the goldfish, is interacting with its' environment, and will only crossbreed with other gold fishes just like her." (In the next paragraph it refers to Gill and HIS family.)

I removed the stray apostrophe in "its" and changed "crossbreed" to just "breed," and changed "gold fishes" to "goldfish" and then to "like herself," until I saw that Gill might be a boy. Then I think I made it "like itself."

I didn't know much at all about the subject matter, ecosystems, but I'm pretty sure an individual in a species does not crossbreed with individuals of its own species. Look at me getting all scientific.

Return to “Main Forum”