Grammar police help

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

Momma Snider

Re: Grammar police help

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 03 Apr, 2014 12:56 pm

I found out that article I was typing was published in Ghana. They are totally excused from knowing all the rules of American English.

SDR

Postby SDR » Thu 03 Apr, 2014 01:41 pm

Thanks for thinking nice thoughts for Spikey. For a month we have to keep walking to a minimum and jumping and playing with his sisters to zero. Based on his attitude and behavior today, it's going to be a long month keeping him from being himself. Oh, and no stairs (which I guess is like jumping).

But this is good and beats the worstcase alternative that he would need to go live with grandma, as it were.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 03 Apr, 2014 03:24 pm

We got ACL surgery for Andy about a year and a half before he died. He was so pitiful, I couldn't leave the collar of shame on him for as long as I was supposed to, and it was useless to tell him not to try to walk. But his was only the one leg, so he still had three good ones. People thought we were silly to spend $800 on a dog, but it gave us another 16 months with him, so it was worth it to me.

We did get a gate for the bottom of the stairs, and after his surgery we never let him go upstairs again. He could get up there okay, but I was afraid he'd fall coming down. But that was partly because he was mostly blind by the end.

I was just thinking, you know how when someone dies you sometimes wish you could have just one more visit, knowing it would be the last, so you could fully appreciate it? Well, I did know Andy was going to die the night he died, and I didn't think it was going to kick my butt like it did. That evening he stopped breathing a few times, lying right there on the couch next to me, and I encouraged him to let go. I cried at the thought, but thought I was okay, until he actually did. Now, nearly eight months later, I can still hardly stand it. When I die, I want to see my mom and Andy immediately, and then my dad and my brothers and my grandparents and all my other dogs and everyone after that.

SDR

Postby SDR » Thu 03 Apr, 2014 05:04 pm

Thread hijack incoming. You have been warned.

If people thought you were silly for spending $800, they would think we are absolutely 100% bat guano crazy for what Spikey's surgery cost. As it turns out, veterinary orthopedic surgery is quite costly, and I'm sure it was only more thanks to the double pelvic fracture.

When the accident first happened (on Sunday a heavy metal appliance dolly fell backward and landed on him; unloaded, fortunately, though it only fell because it was empty and thus back heavy, so I guess that could be taken either way) we had no idea what had happened, if there was internal bleeding or whatever. Found the closest weekend emergency vet and sped there at speeds I do not normally drive. Once xrays were taken and confirmed that what we were dealing with was broken bones and not otherwise massive internal damage, it was never a question of if we'd have the surgery. The price was high to be sure, but Spike didn't do anything wrong and didn't deserve to be put to death for a double fracture! Obviously this is a question that we all have to deal with for ourselves, and not everyone is going to have this kind of money, but we could do it so we were going to do it. We did check with another facility the next day just to be sure the amount we were quoted was in the ballpark (and I felt somewhat bad even doing that given how much pain he was in, even on strong narcotics) but it was still just a question of how much and where, not if.

For two days he was on an IV feeding him the pain medication (plus fluids & glucose I would imagine since he wasn't in a position to eat or drink on his own at the time). I checked up on him a few times a day and went in person to see him each day. It wasn't until about 48 hours after the accident (and just a few hours before his eventual surgery) that the one question we should have asked finally occurred to me: Is he going to have any quality of life after this surgery, or are we condemning him to a life of pain and suffering by being unintentionally selfish to keep him going? That was probably the most emotionally draining part for me, asking the vet that question, particularly because my first phrasing was probably not ideal and his answer to the question I asked (vs the question I thought I was asking) was much more bleak than I'd hoped for.

In any case, the surgeon examined him that evening and called saying he thought the surgery would not leave him with any permanently lingering effects. I told him to do it and less than 24 hours I was able to pick Spike up who is now home recovering.

We've been told it'll take the bones about a month to heal with the plates and screws holding them together. Maybe a bit longer for any soft tissues, but after a month he should be able to do whatever he would normally do, including stairs.

In the meantime, we bought a crate for him to sleep in so that his sisters wouldn't bother him at night. That's not going to work for us as he hates being locked away from people and we're too soft. So for the next month it looks like Spike and I will be sleeping on a palette I've put together in our upstairs loft and blocked off so he is contained. If he wakes up and moves around during the night he'll be safe, but won't have to try to jump off a bed or avoid trying to play with his siblings and risk extending his healing time. {knock on wood}

Oh: when I picked him up from the vet yesterday, I took him to the car and put him on a faux leather seat. That was less than ideal even if he was well as is it too slippery for him to stay stable on. Normally if I take a dog in the car I'll just laugh at their inability to stay still, but this was not as funny as it otherwise might have been. We drove a few blocks to the nearest Petsmart so he and I could go in and buy a small pet bed that I could put on the seat so that he could be a little more stable. When we got home I folded him up in it like he was a puppy taco, so now we call it his taco, which we use frequently while moving him from one point to another.
Last edited by SDR on Thu 03 Apr, 2014 07:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Thu 03 Apr, 2014 06:05 pm

That sounds so awful! Poor little SDRdoggie. May he heal well and quickly.
There's no better form of government than a dictatorship when you're the dictator.
-Fahim Farook

Walking the World
Me on Instagram
Me on Twitter
Me on Google+
Me on Facebook

Return to “Main Forum”