East Coast Villagers: Report!

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

KMD

East Coast Villagers: Report!

Postby KMD » Mon 02 Jul, 2012 07:19 am

Mostly I'm thinking about KareNin, but how is everyone doing after that storm? I lucked out and we were only without power for about 24 hours, but there have been all kinds of work complications as a result. Gas stations in the area are out of fuel, and grocery stores are trying to get in supplies like milk and eggs, everything refridgerated spoiled, and now they need to restock.

How is everyone else faring?
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Lowdoggy Dogg

Re: East Coast Villagers: Report!

Postby Lowdoggy Dogg » Mon 02 Jul, 2012 12:12 pm

Florida has had such mild weather, even with the Tropical Storm. June was a beautiful month, warm but not too warm. Who knows if it will continue, but most of the country seems hotter than us right now.

SDR

Postby SDR » Mon 02 Jul, 2012 01:28 pm

This seems like a good point to hijack a thread.

For those unaware because they don't follow me on FB or Twitter, there was a fire in Herriman on Friday, where I recently moved. Yes, I finally closed on that house, in case I haven't told you that yet, either. We were about a block away from the mandatory evacuation zone, but access to our neighborhood from the east was blocked by law enforcement to keep the roads clear for fire fighters.

My wife & I were both away from home when the emergency started, and our three dogs were home alone. I came in from the east and exaggerated and/or lied (depending on how charitable you care to be) my way through the road block to get home and prepare to evacuate just in case the mandatory evacuation zone expanded to include our house. Fortunately for us, it did not, and we discovered that even though our neighborhood was marked "no access" through Friday, we could drive around the north end of the roadblocks and approach safely from the west.

To summarize: Fire bad, didn't harm us directly, and sorry to hear about all the people in other locations dealing with massive power outages and such.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 02 Jul, 2012 04:38 pm

Turns out I know a lot of people in the power outage zone, including several in Ohio. It would be miserable to have that kind of heat and no electricity to even blow fans around. I didn't even think of the stores and the loss of inventory. I'm glad you did okay, KMD, and hope everyone else checks in. (Karen?)

SDR

Postby SDR » Mon 02 Jul, 2012 06:34 pm

Momma Snider wrote:I'm glad you did okay, KMD, and hope everyone else checks in. (Karen?)

I can't speak to much but she did comment on a FB thread related to having power restored, so that's something...

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Tue 03 Jul, 2012 02:38 pm

Teddibly sorry for not reporting in sooner. Honest, I just have not been online much, because we've been busy.

Here's my story: Friday I woke up from a 2.5 hour nap, and things were much as they had been when I went to sleep earlier. Suddenly, the skies started darkening, and within just a couple of minutes, rain was coming down in violent sheets, and the wind was whipping mature trees around and making unearthly noise. It was unlike anything I've ever seen, except in videos of hurricanes. Because I had been asleep and not watching TV or seeing anything online, I didn't realize this huge, broad line of windstorms was coming.

So I just opened my bedroom window a little bit--so I could hear the tornado sirens if they went off--but they never did, and I was transfixed watching The Nature Show. We have a little toddler-age sugar maple tree in the front yard that just the day before, we had been admiring for how beautifully it was growing and shaping up to be a Real Grown-Up Tree. That tree was now lying bent over almost horizontal to the ground.

The storms lasted only maybe a half hour or so, but a couple of times our lights flickered and came back on. Then, they went off and didn't come back on. I got out flashlights and candles, and we settled in for a warm evening of sultry humidity and 94 degree heat. I read a book with the help of a battery-powered booklight, and other than excessive warmth and minor inconvenience, our biggest problem was remembering not to flush the toilets for the next 17 hours.

Shortly before noon on Saturday, our brave and hard-working Rural Electric Co-Op crews got our power back on, and within SECONDS, we were once again taking such extreme blessings as lights, cold food, and air-conditioning totally for granted. We were warned there could be a repeat of storms the next night (Saturday),but that line of storms was much weaker in our area. Since Tuesday night, April and Ashley, Savannah, Emily, and Porter were at April's brother's house near Washington, DC, and DC got slammed pretty hard. They had no power from Friday evening, and it was still off, as far as they knew, when they arrived back here Sunday evening about 5:00. They were hot and hungry and sweaty and just HOPING that they would be greeted by a home with indoor plumbing, electrical power, and something besides IKEA Cinnamon Rolls and Swedish Meat Balls, and apparently ol' Grandma and Grandpa came through for them with spaghetti, cantaloupe, and tossed salad. (Aaron sent April a text saying their power came back on about 3 pm Sunday.)

At Church that morning, we had probably less than half our usual attendance, because people were still without power, trapped by downed trees in their driveways, sick because of the heat, and many other complications from the storms. People exchanged info and offered their homes for refuge (food, cold water, flush toilets, a shower, a nap in AC, etc.). Our bishop's brother-in-law had parked his truck under a tree at the beginning of the storms and was checking on something related to the farm they live on, and while he was out of the truck, the tree uprooted and dropped right on his truck.

Sunday night we had another line of storms barrel through, and our lights flickered and went out briefly about 4 times, but they came back on and stayed on, and we had a lovely evening with the grandkids. April was exhausted and went to bed--after sorting their laundry and starting a load of wash. We all got a good night's sleep and felt very blessed.

On Saturday we discovered that we had lost a huge, old tree way back in the corner of our property. It broke off and took 2 of the next-door neighbor's huge pine trees down with it, actually knocking one of them into the pond. Tom and Jon removed as much of the fallen trees as they could, but our chainsaw isn't big enough to cut through the main trunk of our tree. So there's still major cleanup going on.

I talked to stephsterr last night, and their power flickered a bit but they never lost power. I think Nate & Amy (The Don) lost electricity and he had to work on Saturday, and I haven't heard any updates from them yet, although I think theirs came back on. Misty misstepped coming down a flight of stairs, fell and broke a bone in her foot and sprained both ankles... she had been upstairs warning her neighbor to go move her car from under a tree where it was parked. So she spent hours in the ER while the rest of us were stumbling around in the dark. She'll heal fine, but it's a rottenly inconvenient time for an injury like that.

There were over 340,000 people without power after Friday night's storms, and some areas are being told that it may be July 7 or 8 before they can get it back on where they live. We've seen power company trucks from out-of-state driving around, helping the local crews. Just as a complication, COTA bus drivers in Columbus went on strike Monday, and refused to go back to work until they get the pension benefits they want. No much of a problem, unless you rely on public transportation to get everywhere, as my quarter-sister Brenda and her husband Joe do. We may drive up to the north end of Columbus and fetch them back here, if the strike isn't settled soon. I talked to her last night too,and their apartment's power was still out and not expected to be back on until the 7th.

So we're fine, personally, but there are a LOT of good people suffering still, so any prayers and good thoughts are appreciated for folks in this area. Thank you for thinking about us. I love you guys! ♥
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

KMD

Postby KMD » Thu 05 Jul, 2012 08:00 am

Glad you know you, and stephsterr and The Don are all OK. That was one nasty storm! I heard reports of 566,000 people without power in OH, WV and VA. I still have a few co-workers in Charleston who are without power. They are making use of the showers in the gym at work, and are happy to get to spend most of the day in the AC.

My work building has a generator, so when the power went out Friday evening, it kicked in. But when commercial power was restored late Saturday, something went haywire and the AC in the building went out. No big deal, except for the server room! I got a call at 7:30 at night that the server room had reached 95 degrees, and they were worried about the heat, so they wanted all the machines shut down. Luckily by that time I had power and internet, and could do it remotely, or else I was looking at an hour drive into work without a shower, and I had worked all day outside, clearing broken branches from our yard. A few hours later, they got the AC working and the server room cooled down, and they powered back up the servers and called me to check that my application was started successfully, at midnight. Oh well, considering that was my worst inconvenience in this whole ordeal, I am still one lucky cat!

KMD

Postby KMD » Thu 05 Jul, 2012 06:39 pm

I officially spoke too soon! Today we had another storm and it knocked out our power again! I was sure we would be put at the end of the queue and have to wait until others had their power back from the first storm. The automated message on AEP's phone said we should get it by midnight, on July 8th. But it came on about 7hours later. But I lost another 1/2 day of work. :cry:

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 05 Jul, 2012 08:26 pm

I think I'll go count my blessings again! I can't imagine being without power for more than a few hours, and we haven't even had that happen for years.

KMD

Postby KMD » Thu 01 Nov, 2012 12:48 pm

Once again, East Coasters, how are you doing?

If you looked at weather maps from this storm, and saw the line of white in the very middle, indicating blizzard conditions, yup, I live right at the tip end of that white line. We got 2 feet of snow, lost power, but only for a few hours. And we haven't had school all week as a result. I haven't left my house in a week! I am going stir-crazy!

Jersey Girl

Postby Jersey Girl » Mon 12 Nov, 2012 06:46 pm

Wow I haven't been on here in awhile and just saw this thread. My area was devastated in the June derecho, but somehow our house survived with power. Many people at church didn't have power until the 4th of July. It was pretty crazy.

Sandy did more of a number in NJ where my family lives than where I currently live. We lost power intermittently and only for a few minutes. Other areas lost power for a day. My mom lost power for about 4 days and luckily the roads were passable enough for her to go to my sisters who had a generator. My sister only lost power for a day. Her electric company spent the summer clearing tree limbs and their prevention worked in her area. My dad's area of the state got hit hard and the roads are still not passable (this is two weeks later!). I just heard it is a complete mess in my home state. Things are getting to normal in other areas of the state, but the Jersey Shore will take months to recover. The latest numbers are about a few thousand are without power. My friends who worked with Mormon Helping Hands said Staten Island is a war zone. NY got hit hard but NJ got the glory in this storm thanks to Chris Christie. It's going to take months to recover.

I think the problem now is people who want to help by going up there. At this point, the needs are scattered so if you want to help I recommend just donating money to the humanitarian organization of your choice. They'll know where to allocate it best. I heard on one Facebook post about a bunch of people went up to NJ with clothes and blankets when what was needed was cleaning supplies. You really don't know the needs unless you talk to the locals. Many people can't even get to their houses to assess the damage.

As far as I know, gas rationing is still in effect up there. Considering the whole state is essentially suburbia, this is a big deal.
"Chicken legs were moved, roads were crossed, motives were questioned."--EFB

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 13 Nov, 2012 12:05 pm

Our stake put out a call on November 2 to collect blankets and coats and sweaters, to be delivered to the stake center the morning of the 3rd. The president had been in contact with a stake president in New Jersey. They expected about 50 boxes of stuff, and ended up shipping 300 boxes! They were received last Friday. Rocky spoke to the stake president yesterday morning, and he said they thought it had been a regional donation, because there was so much. They were very appreciative and knew exactly how to distribute it. While the boxes were stacked in the cultural hall over the Sunday, the Primary kids from that building wrote messages on the boxes, and that cheered the volunteers a lot, too. And Rocky talked to one little girl who had donated her personal blanket. He asked if it was hard for her to do that, and she said it was, but that she thought there was a little girl out there who needed it more than she did. He asked how she feels now, and she got a big smile and said, "I feel good!"

There's so little we can do when Mother Nature gets cranky, but it's good to be able to help a little. Even though we personally didn't help at all, because we left for Utah on the 2nd.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Wed 19 Dec, 2012 05:03 pm

Sandy seems to be a really bad word right now. I'll bet no one names their babies that for quite a while, although I guess it probably wasn't in the top 10 names anyway.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Fri 21 Dec, 2012 02:11 pm

{{{{LIKE}}}} Click.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 27 Jan, 2014 09:33 am

I saw on Facebook this morning that Wiseguy is freezing, and heard on the news that it's pretty widespread back there. I haven't heard from my friend in Cincinnati yet. But are you all frozen? Anyone?

Not us. It's almost like that Twilight Zone where the weather gets all messed up. But the Church members in the whole state, or at least Southern California, will be fasting and praying for rain next Sunday. Last year was the driest on record, and this year is even drier so far. I'm not ungrateful for the warmth and sunshine, when I think of all those who are suffering with the cold, but it's a little scary.

GenAdFemale

Postby GenAdFemale » Mon 27 Jan, 2014 05:18 pm

Wiseguy and me! Minnesota has closed schools 5 times since the beginning of the year because of dangerous wind chills. My husband said that even at 1 pm today, the wind chill was -30 (real air temp was -8). I don't mind it though. I hardly leave my house and I don't mind having my teenagers home, although since school was cancelled, Hayley-Bopp and her friends decided to go to a movie. Budgie has been quiet all day long. I guess I can't really say I'm suffering. Hot cocoa takes a lot of the anguish over cold weather away.

We have family in the Bay area and they too are concerned about the lack of rain. Elder Polliwog in Peru says they too are having a drought. Tijuana got some rain in Nov, I have picture proof of that from Elder Jinky Bean. I'll fast for you too next Sunday. No rain is no good.

KMD

Postby KMD » Mon 27 Jan, 2014 08:27 pm

I've got about 8 inches of snow on the ground here, with zero and below temps expected for tomorrow. They've already called off school for tomorrow. There was no school all of last week. I would have to count & see, but I would guess my kid has had maybe 8 days of school for the month of January.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Tue 28 Jan, 2014 12:34 am

We're having the coldest January ever recorded in history in Ohio here, as follows:

Tomorrow is Tom's birthday (71) and while I am happy that Dennis called and said he is coming down to take us out to dinner, the wind chill (combined with below-zero actual temperatures) are supposed to be somewhere around -30 degrees Fahrenheit.
That is THIRTY DEGREES BELOW ZERO.

SIXTY-TWO DEGREES BELOW THE TEMPERATURE AT WHICH WATER FREEZES.

INTO ICE.

Am I clear on that? Do you know what those temps do to 65- and 71-year-old blood? FREEZES IT. Instantly.

And the winds are brutal. There's this new thing everybody is agog about--snow rollers. They are basically nature-made, wind-driven rolled-up balls of snow that look like gigantic cotton batts used for quilting. Google it; I am up on a potty break right now and don't have time to re-train myself how to post a pic. But you gotta see these stupid things if you haven't already.

If it wasn't for my electric blanket, I would have succumbed about a month ago, I think. Oh, plus!!! We lost our power for about 7 hours last week (around 2 am to 9:30 am), and if it weren't for my 3 dogs snuggling with me and keeping my head completely under the covers, so we could breathe our recycled warm air, we all would have frozed then, too.

I'm officially OVER loving Ohio. At least in the winter. If anyone down South wants to adopt an addled, crippled-up old lady as an honorary Gramma, send me a text, letting me know how soon I can move in, mm'kay?

SDR

Postby SDR » Tue 28 Jan, 2014 12:54 am

Last January here in the Salt Lake valley was the coldest since 1949 (if I recall the news reports at the time). This January? Apparently the polar incursions or whatever the flip they're called are pushing your warmth this way. Most of the snow is gone from my front yard at this point, but we had plenty in the week or so before Christmas.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 28 Jan, 2014 09:41 am

My friend in Cincinnati checked in with me this morning, and since she's not that far from Karen, her report was the same. She is a professor at Clermont College, but all schools are closed because, as Karen said, it's so cold that people can't go outside and stand still without freezing. She plans to retire to Florida someday, because she is also over Ohio in the winter. She loves heat and humidity (professor of psychology -- but I think she's nuts) so it's not just this winter she hates, but this winter is much worse.

I saw a weather map that shows this huge, 2000-mile-long high pressure system that prevents the cold from getting to us and funnels it over there to the eastern states. Only God can change it, although it seems like if we all got our big box fans out of the garage and put them on the roof and blew them up at the sky, wouldn't that help? :? (I also used to put out a glass of water, thinking that it would evaporate and make it rain. That didn't work, either.)

Stay warm!

Return to “Main Forum”