Roll Call Please!

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

lilcis

Roll Call Please!

Postby lilcis » Tue 20 Nov, 2012 02:36 pm

So I just got a "Topic Reply Notification" and realized it's been over a year since I last visited the Village! So, what's everyone been up to since March 2011? Who's still around & active? What's new & different in your life? Get me up to speed, people!

I have a new job doing market research, and I love it. Still married, still no kids. Lost 50lbs so far, with at least 20 more to go. Husband just started a new job as a sales rep, commission-based. So I'm both thrilled and scared for that!
Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be. Michael Scott

Momma Snider

Re: Roll Call Please!

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 20 Nov, 2012 05:41 pm

Nice to see you, lilcis! I saw on Facebook that you've been doing some traveling. Congrats on your new job!
Not a lot of people come around here any more, and it makes me really sad. But the ones who do show up are high quality, so it's okay.

SDR

Postby SDR » Tue 20 Nov, 2012 06:32 pm

I'm here! I don't know if I'd say I'm active, but I actively read what is posted. It's much easier to keep up with than Facebook or Twitter.

Lady Celtic

Postby Lady Celtic » Wed 21 Nov, 2012 08:31 pm

Since March 2011? Um, I had a kid--she's 16 months old now (two more months until Nursery!!). My oldest girl turned eight in December of last year and chose to get baptized, which was AWESOME, my second oldest declared she wanted to go to public school, so I've been doin' the carpool thing instead of the homeschool thing (The Eldest attends an online public school), my boy has discovered he loves climbing, said boy should also potty train soon since he turned three this month, and I've grown two gardens--one vastly more successful than the other. I've lost some weight, and read more books than I care to admit to.

I know that's mostly about my kids and not me, but as I told the three-year-old last night, they *are* my work. Therefore, my results usually involve them!

Nice to see you around again, LilCis!
You're unique, just like everyone else!

KMD

Postby KMD » Thu 22 Nov, 2012 09:29 pm

I'm still around. Technically I left IBM the summer of 2011, but got hired by my customer, so I'm still doing the same job, just paid (more) by someone else, and with a lot more flexibility to work remotely from my couch on a regular basis. Hooray for staying employed! We've been working on a major project for almost a year now, it's started going live at the beginning of November, so work-wise, I've been crazy busy. Oh, and I'm headed to a conference next week out in San Francisco. Any Villagers in that area?

My son has turned 6, he's in 1st grade. Kindergarten was a challenge, he has anger management issues, and was quite a handful in class. We're now seeing a therapist for that on a regular basis. Looks like we've ruled out Asperger's or Autism, though, so that's good. And he's super smart, and got into the gifted program, starting in the first grade, which is really early. He's in a class once a week, with much older kids, where they do a lot of hands-on advanced work. Like learning about rockets, and launching them behind the school. He's loving it.

The hubby is still working the same job, and also has the flexibility to work from home, and that's about the only way we're able to pull off both of us working while our son is at school, since my job is an hour commute from home/school, and my husband's job is a 45 min. commute, in the opposite direction. He's also in IT, but he's a government contractor, and really he would like to quit the job and be an independent cartoonist full-time. He's been doing a fairly popular webcomic now for 14 years. I think financially we could pull it off, but he's a very risk-averse person, and voluntarily reducing us down to just one paycheck is just a little too risky for him. The comic is able to support itself, but that's about it.

How have you been able to lose 50 lbs lilcis? And how long has it taken you to do so?
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

lisapants

Postby lisapants » Sat 24 Nov, 2012 02:45 am

Hmmmm, Adam got a new job and we moved from San Antonio to Manteca, CA, in March of this year. (KMD, that's about an hour and a half away from San Francisco!) My oldest boy started Kindergarten in August. He went for 8 days, then we decided to homeschool him because he needs a bit more attention in the classroom than a teacher with 33 students can give him. My almost-three-year-old daughter should be potty trained. She knows how to do everything, but has decided she's just not into it right now. She is not interested in bribes, either. She is definitely her own little person. And, I had a baby boy three weeks ago. Little Sawyer is the cutest and is such a good baby. My mom has been here helping out since he was born, and she just went home today. I am a bit terrified for next week when I will be on my own with the three kids for the first time. I don't post a lot here, but I do read everything and I enjoy the friendships I've made with everyone here.
<------- Ondipants, Babyloo, and Little Buddy

lilcis

Postby lilcis » Mon 26 Nov, 2012 03:59 pm

KMD I'm glad you have a new employer! I remember last time I was on here reading about how the projects you were working on were just about killing you.

It's nice to hear from everybody else too. This board really has shrunk. :(

But I suppose we have all gotten busier, or at least have more things like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc to keep our idle minds occupied.

I do miss the camaraderie of the board, though.
Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be. Michael Scott

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 26 Nov, 2012 04:25 pm

It's that darn Facebook!

InOregon

Postby InOregon » Sun 30 Dec, 2012 01:26 am

Here!
"reading is polushun. someday it will kill me."

My Bonnie lies over at Flickr.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Sun 30 Dec, 2012 05:18 pm

What? I'm sorry; I was sleeping when you called my name...

HERE!
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Sun 30 Dec, 2012 07:47 pm

You, InOregon, are decidedly tardy!

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Mon 31 Dec, 2012 10:13 am

Don't mess with The Attendance Clerk, man. She misses NOTHING.

I have a note, Momma. I had insomnia the night before Roll Call, and only got 2 hours of sleep.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 31 Dec, 2012 06:40 pm

Okay, you're excused. But you and your friend Jerilyn need to improve your attendance.

mistytsim

Postby mistytsim » Mon 28 Jan, 2013 05:53 am

Finally here! I've invaded KareNin's home for the last two weeks, and was reminded I've not posted in, oh, forever.

I had a baby. She'll be two in March. I call her Mimi on the Internets.

I broke my foot twice last summer.

Other than that, I can't think of anything fun I've done other than watch PBS all day long.
Technically I am a giant wiener. The costume tag says "wiener."

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 28 Jan, 2013 10:15 am

You've been at KareNin's? Lucky you! No wonder she hasn't answered my email! And lucky KareNin, to have you visiting her! I seem to have a lot of exclamation points on hand today, maybe because it's so exciting to see people posting things!

mistytsim

Postby mistytsim » Mon 28 Jan, 2013 12:20 pm

Yep, Mimi and I leave today to head back to Dayton. My sister and her family experienced a fire last night, so I'm gonna head back and make sure everything is okay with her.
Technically I am a giant wiener. The costume tag says "wiener."

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Mon 28 Jan, 2013 06:52 pm

And Misty just texted me that she & Mimi are back home, and when they sat down to dinner, Mimi was running around calling "GRANDMA!! GRANDPA!!"

I thoroughly enjoyed our visit. We're gonna make this a Regular Thing.

Also, found out by accident that The Don and his family were attending church at our Stake Center building yesterday. Amy's sister's family lives in one of the other wards in our Stake. How rude not to let me & Misty know ahead of time so we could have gone there too. But there will be other chances.

Everything is good here. Tom turned 70 years old today.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 29 Jan, 2013 01:16 pm

Happy birthday to Tom! And I'm so jealous of you and Misty getting together! Did she really stay with you for two weeks? And how sweet that Mimi loves her Grandma and Grandpa Stout!

I guess I know a lot of people who live in Ohio.

KareNin

Postby KareNin » Tue 29 Jan, 2013 05:59 pm

Well, to be absolutely precise about it, she and Mimi were here at our house for two weeks. But for a few days during that time, Tom and I drove out to Missouri to visit Steve & his family, and celebrate the January Birthdays, and visit Jon, who also lives in St. Louis, leaving Misty and Mimi behind to wrangle the dogs and clean up their unconscionable messes.

We were won over from the start; Mimi is a brilliant and verbally charming little sprite. She is very obedient and very connected to Misty, who gives every indication of being a superlative parent. She is definitely a very blessed and adorable little girl, and Yes, she does call us Grandma and Grandpa. Which is good for our lonely old hearts, since our biological grandchildren are so, so far away, and we hardly ever get to see them. It's a symbiotic relationship.

I miss them already and it's only been one day.

Return to “Main Forum”