First World Problems

Welcome to the Online Village of Nerds. Enjoy your stay.

Moderators: The Don, Lady Celtic, Karenins_SuperSon, Eric's Moderator Brother

robcan2

First World Problems

Postby robcan2 » Fri 26 Jul, 2013 10:51 am

I was going to post this in the whining thread, but most of the things posted there seem to be real legitimate issues.

So, we paid an embarrassing amount for a dining table and chairs. It's really nice, though, and it should last for many years to come to be inherited by my grandchildren. Well, we had the cub scouts over doing some crafty things. Even though we had the table top covered, after they left we found that the veneer had some tiny chips where one of the scouts was working. Probably no one but us would ever notice it, but it's so annoying! We got a special pen at Home Depot to color in the dings, and that helped. But still, every time I see it, I can't help but think unkind things about the cub scouts. And it wasn't really even their fault. It's probably because I think unkind things about cub scouts anyway, and this just gives me more reason.
Random musings from a musing randomizer: Rob From Reality

Momma Snider

Re: First World Problems

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 26 Jul, 2013 12:06 pm

That stinks! Cub Scouts really need to get involved in Thin Mints. It would improve their image drastically.

KMD

Postby KMD » Mon 29 Jul, 2013 09:00 am

Thanks Robcan2, because sometimes I have things I want to whine about, but I realize they are not truly whine-worthy, just stupid and annoying, and nothing compared to some people's problems.

This past week it was that my favorite game on the iPad, which I need to check in on regularly, got an "update", and then after I downloaded the update, when I tried to open it, it would say "Downloading Content" and never launch. It was a slow internet connection in the hotel to blame, but it would not open AT ALL and I lost several days worth of game play because of it. Once we got home and hooked back to our network, it updated in no time, and it's working now. But, you know, on vacation, in the car, this is when you want to play, and that's exactly when I couldn't. Annoying!
Living with a cat is like living with a small, very crazy fat man.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 06 Aug, 2013 10:22 am

I've got one! I had to come back to work! What a trial, with so many people not having a job, and lots who do have jobs they don't like, and some have to work outside in the heat, and some have jobs they like that are comfortable enough, but they still don't make enough money because they're the sole income in the family, and on and on and on. I'm irritated because my faxes aren't going through fast enough, and because the air conditioning is blowing just a tad too cool. Not to mention that I was off for seven weeks!

So I am not complaining. I'm smiling at my trials right now.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 23 Aug, 2013 09:32 am

This is even more minor, but it's keeping me pretty busy this morning: I was out for four days, driving to and from Utah two of the days and going to Education Week the other two. It was wonderful! Even the nine hours each way wasn't bad, just being with my husband and a couple of good books, and the Ed Week was wonderful, and seeing three of my kids and my two daughters-in-law and five of the grandkids was even more wonderful, and I slept well and walked a lot and learned a lot and just had a glorious four days!

But oh, my, did the school miss me! My subs were less than stellar, especially the one the first day. That was also the day a mom got arrested right here in the office for welfare fraud, but not until the officer (who might have actually been a bounty hunter, the more I think about it) had scared my dear friend Renee to death. He asked for the emergency card for this student, and Teresa figured the sub wouldn't know what to do so she told him to go in the back and see Renee. He walked up to her desk, barely flashed his badge, and said, "I need to talk to Renee ___ in private." She was terrified. She has kids who get in trouble, a grandson who is mentally disturbed, a brother in a mental hospital, not to mention all the family members who could have been in an accident. It was horrible. They finally got to a private place, and all he wanted was a copy of this kid's card, which I would have given him if I'd been here. Then he told her to call the mom and get her here! She should have handed it over to the principal at that time, but she wasn't in the office. Eventually the mom did come, and he slapped the handcuffs on her right here in the office.

So I missed the excitement, wasn't here to protect Renee, and it will take me all day to fix everything the sub couldn't do. But I had a wonderful time and I feel good!

KMD

Postby KMD » Tue 27 Aug, 2013 08:02 am

Oh, you want to talk about minor first world problems? I'll give you minor first world problems!

Last night at bedtime, as we're doing all the "last minute" things (making son's lunch, kicking off the dishwasher, locking up...) my husband was seriously grouchy and giving me the great big *SIGHS*. And I'm thinking "Poor fellow, he must be feeling really dizzy and awful." So, I ask him "What's wrong?" Boy, did he give me the answer with both barrels!

He started using BitTorrent Sync as a way to keep his comic scripting document in sync across multiple computers, including his laptop (where he usually writes it, the desktop (as a backup), the Linux box (backup to the backup) his phone and his tablet. And when he was putting our son to bed, on his tablet he flipped some digital switch to make it sync, and it synced the wrong direction, and overwrote all his good versions with the old version he had on his tablet! Oh noes! He had scripted this week's and next week's comics, and they were now LOST FOREVER! Except, he'd already finished the Monday comic, and most of the Wednesday comic, but he lost Friday, although he could remember most of it, just not the punchline.

SERIOUSLY??? He was ranting and raving about this like a loon last night! You would have thought a horrible, heinous act had been committed! I understand it's because he is seriously stressed out, with the health issues and work and everything, but fer cryin' out loud! Have some perspective!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 27 Aug, 2013 10:29 am

I don't even understand half those words, KMD, but I sympathize with your husband. And you, having to put up wtih the ranting and raving.

My iMac (at least I think that's what I have -- just got it for Mother's Day) is having issues. I'd think it had a virus or something, except I thought Macs don't get viruses? It will open to the Mozilla start page, but then it takes forever to open yahoo mail or Facebook. Oddly, it will usually open this board right away, but if I try to go to either of the others, it often times out before it can open them. Candy Crush takes forever, too, which is irritating when I just want to play ONE GAME before I do something more important.

KMD

Postby KMD » Tue 27 Aug, 2013 11:04 am

Oh but how do you play just one game of Candy Crush? I find that I go in thinking I'm just going to play "one game", and can't put it down until I've used up all my turns...

I'm currently stuck on #70, and refuse to pay for a bonus thingie to get me past it. But I'm starting to get desperate...

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 27 Aug, 2013 11:49 am

I was stuck on 65 forever, and now I'm on 68. I really think with most of them it's mostly luck, but if you keep your eyes open for chances to match 4 instead of just 3, that can help. But really, I figure it doesn't matter, since there's no cash prize at the end; I'm just playing to pass the time anyway.

I won't pay for a boost, either. That would REALLY be crazy!

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Fri 30 Aug, 2013 04:32 am

KMD, your husband has my sympathy. And yeah, I understood what you said.

Momma, macs can get viruses - that they don't is a myth perpetuated by Apple fanbois.

I've switched back and forth from a windows machine to a mac so many times in the last, uh, two and a half years that I think I've lost track. This last switch was from a Windows 8 machine (Windows 8 is of Teh Devil - and I used to be a Windows fan) to Mac. Given how much I now hate Windows and don't ever want to go back, I'm pretty much stuck with Apple. I doubt I'll ever switch to Linux.

Except there's one area that Macs fall seriously short... They don't have tablets, by which I mean a full working computer with a touch sensitive screen for use with a stylus. iPads don't count. I've been getting into creating computer illustrations and such in the last year or so. Not that I'm that good at it, but hey, at least I'm trying. :)

And... Hi! Long time no see!
There's no better form of government than a dictatorship when you're the dictator.
-Fahim Farook

Walking the World
Me on Instagram
Me on Twitter
Me on Google+
Me on Facebook

quidscribis

Postby quidscribis » Fri 30 Aug, 2013 04:41 am

And my signature is broken and I don't know why. I followed the instructions. At least I thought I did. Maybe I'm blinder than I thought I was.
There's no better form of government than a dictatorship when you're the dictator.
-Fahim Farook

Walking the World
Me on Instagram
Me on Twitter
Me on Google+
Me on Facebook

Eric's Fat Brother

Postby Eric's Fat Brother » Fri 30 Aug, 2013 09:17 am

The myth of Macs not getting viruses is perpetuated by fanboys AND by the fact that it is basically true. It would probably be more accurate to say "Macs only get 1/10,000,000,000th the number of viruses that Windows computers do," but that doesn't flow as well.
Jeff J. Snider
"I'm crazy but I get the job done."
My NEW weight-loss blog

SDR

Postby SDR » Fri 30 Aug, 2013 03:10 pm

That's largely (not exclusively) a factor of there being so many more Windows machines that it is a more attractive target. Microsoft's past security track record doesn't help, of course.

Eric's Fat Brother

Postby Eric's Fat Brother » Fri 30 Aug, 2013 03:47 pm

Yeah, because there's no possible attraction for a bad guy to write an awesome virus for the operating system that people say doesn't get viruses.
Jeff J. Snider
"I'm crazy but I get the job done."
My NEW weight-loss blog

SDR

Postby SDR » Fri 30 Aug, 2013 05:53 pm

Oh, there *is* that attraction, and viruses / malware / what-have-you *do* exist for Mac platforms. But they are a lot more rare because the eco-system is a lot smaller and the base of the OS X operating system is based on an open / more secure kernel than Windows. They were a lot more common pre OS X.

Edit: I included "malware / what-have-you" in the list above in the original post, but wanted to point it out explicitly because in casual conversation, many people refer to all evil software, whether self replicating or not, as a virus. I'm not sure if you meant "all malware" or really did just mean "self replicating virus". I also did a search for "OS X virus" and found relatively few examples, though they do exist. Pre OS X was a different story. Back in the days of sneaker net when everything was carried and exchanged on floppies, there were "plenty" of viruses for the Mac eco system. You practically couldn't use a Mac in a CS lab at BYU back in the mid 80s without a floppy disk being infected.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Fri 06 Sep, 2013 11:21 am

Yesterday our office air conditioner quit at about noon. It was about 102 at the time, got up to 107 by 2:30, 93 in the office last time I looked. Too hot, but we know stuff happens. The maintenance guy came at about 2 and said the unit was too hot to touch, so he couldn't fix it. The good thing was that we went home early because of it.

Funny, though, the maintenance guy was comiserating with us about how hot it was, but then he said, "It's not the heat, it's the humidity." I said, "At 107, it's the heat, too!" We have had humidity, compared to normal, but it's still probably not more than 40-50%. I know the Easterners have it a lot worse than that, even if the temps aren't quite as high.

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Mon 07 Oct, 2013 02:45 pm

I'm so sleepy today! I'm going for a massage after work, and I'm afraid I will fall asleep and miss the whole thing. Now there's a First-World problem for you!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Thu 10 Oct, 2013 11:19 am

California's deadline for a child turning 5 in order to start kindergarten was, until last year, December 2. That meant that, unlike most other states, kids were starting kinder long before they turned 5. They decided last year to do a gradual change to September 2, pushing it back one month each year. But after all the enrollment forms had gone out, our superintendent decided to jump all the way to September this year. To mitigate the impact on parents, they instituted a Transitional Kindergarten program, so kids born between September 2 and December 2 still start school, with the understanding that they will be in regular kinder next year. Do you know how many parents think their kids are brilliant and should be an exception to the rule? Lots. And in the meantime, we have some very young four-year-olds (the very reason the cutoff date was changed) who are in a regular kindergarten class, because there aren't enough to make up a whole class on their own. One is in the office right now, and he reminds me of my two-year-old grandsons, only he doesn't know nearly as much basic information, like letters and manners and colors.

But at least we're providing babysitting for the mom, who is at home but can't get here on time to pick him up. Ever.

SDR

Postby SDR » Thu 10 Oct, 2013 12:41 pm

InOregon lives in your school boundaries? HA!

Momma Snider

Postby Momma Snider » Tue 29 Oct, 2013 09:39 am

The air conditioner in our office was broken for a couple of weeks, waiting for a new condenser. That was when it was hot. Now it's fixed, but at this time of year the sun shines right on the thermostat in the morning, making it think it's 80 degrees or more, so it kicks on the A/C. It's only 52 degrees outside, but the cold air is blowing on me. It is cold and annoying, especially because we don't need any air at all blowing right now, but it can't be turned off.

Return to “Main Forum”